Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Tuaw]Trend Micro says iOS a 'more secure platform' than Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Tuaw]Trend Micro says iOS a 'more secure platform' than Android - Page 4

post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
That is true, but Android isn't just some small niche Open Source project either.
Being that it is a Google sponsored project, most of the commits & code reviews being done are by Google's developers, who are most definitely on the level.
Yeah, Google employs some of the smartest people around, most of the time. That's what makes Android a step forward for open source.

When I think of phone OS vulnerability, I think of malicious apps. Because iOS makes it virtually impossible to get code on the phone (and because iOS development is like banging your head on a brick), threats are virtually non existent.

Regardless, if I could put Fedora on my iP4, I would.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
9 Pentium 4 HT's @ 2.8 GHz Foxconn LS-36' s OB 4 GB server, 2 GB nodes 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
40 GB WD Fedora 10 24" LG LG wireless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
9 Antec 350's Wood, bars, rails..... you'll see. Microsoft IR UCF Golden Nights 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
9 Pentium 4 HT's @ 2.8 GHz Foxconn LS-36' s OB 4 GB server, 2 GB nodes 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
40 GB WD Fedora 10 24" LG LG wireless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
9 Antec 350's Wood, bars, rails..... you'll see. Microsoft IR UCF Golden Nights 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenottawa View Post
My calculator is a 'more secure platform' then iOS.

iOS limits the way devs write stuff, Android does not. It's like apples and oranges.
That's not exactly true, at least in my case. I have a TI-89 that will run anything I put in memory!!

Good point though, iOS is full blown idiot proof.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
9 Pentium 4 HT's @ 2.8 GHz Foxconn LS-36' s OB 4 GB server, 2 GB nodes 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
40 GB WD Fedora 10 24" LG LG wireless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
9 Antec 350's Wood, bars, rails..... you'll see. Microsoft IR UCF Golden Nights 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
9 Pentium 4 HT's @ 2.8 GHz Foxconn LS-36' s OB 4 GB server, 2 GB nodes 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
40 GB WD Fedora 10 24" LG LG wireless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
9 Antec 350's Wood, bars, rails..... you'll see. Microsoft IR UCF Golden Nights 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 60
Yeah. So? That's like saying riding in a car is safer than riding in the back of a pickup. Thank you captain obvious. I'd rather have the wind in my hair than listen to your crap pop music anyway.
Move On It v2
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P XFX Radeon HD 5750 G.Skill Pi F2-8800CL5-2GBPI 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.Skill Pi F2-8800CL5-2GBPI 500GB WD + 160 WD + 500GB WD + 1TB WD DVD/Lightscribe Burner Thermaltake Big Typhoon 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7/ Windows XP Pro Performance Edition HANNspree HF229H 22" Dell AT101W SevenTeam ST-750ZAF 750W Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master CM 690 Microsoft SideWinder X5 Nova Master Xonar D1 
  hide details  
Reply
Move On It v2
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P XFX Radeon HD 5750 G.Skill Pi F2-8800CL5-2GBPI 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.Skill Pi F2-8800CL5-2GBPI 500GB WD + 160 WD + 500GB WD + 1TB WD DVD/Lightscribe Burner Thermaltake Big Typhoon 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7/ Windows XP Pro Performance Edition HANNspree HF229H 22" Dell AT101W SevenTeam ST-750ZAF 750W Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master CM 690 Microsoft SideWinder X5 Nova Master Xonar D1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 60
It's Unix based still, both of them are.

It's a case of saying "My 980X is faster than your 970 at stock speeds", sure it is, but the difference is 1) tiny and 2) both are extremely fast/good anyway.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 60
Probably true. Just cause apple goes crazy deleting apps so you are more likely to be safe as the harmful app won't last long.
Night Stalker
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P67A-UD3-B3 GeForce GTX 660 Corsair xms3 4gb (2x2gb) 1600 1.6v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 pro OCZ Agility 3 Wd Black  1tb Hitachi Deskstar 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi sata hd Optiarc DVD RW Scythe Mugen 2 windows 7 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
22 inch hannspree monitor, 17 inch x2gen monitor CM Storm Quick Fire 600 watt ocz nzxt Phantom (Black) 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Roccat Kone XTD Steel series UE 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
Night Stalker
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P67A-UD3-B3 GeForce GTX 660 Corsair xms3 4gb (2x2gb) 1600 1.6v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 pro OCZ Agility 3 Wd Black  1tb Hitachi Deskstar 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi sata hd Optiarc DVD RW Scythe Mugen 2 windows 7 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
22 inch hannspree monitor, 17 inch x2gen monitor CM Storm Quick Fire 600 watt ocz nzxt Phantom (Black) 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Roccat Kone XTD Steel series UE 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half_Duplex View Post
You make a point, but you also have to take into account the fact that most open source contributors are not on the level as a software engineer or professional developer.
Where have you got that from?

The majority of open source developers do not simply do their work in their free time, for free (though that can be the case on smaller projects), they're paid by the companies they work for to write the code (in order to help that company). Sometimes that involves working on the project directly in order to help that company, sometimes that involves fixing a library written by

Android is an open source project, yes, but almost all development (at least, on the 'Android' component of it) is undertaken by Google engineers, paid and employed by Google. It's the same with the Linux kernel, Intel, AMD, even Microsoft engineers have all contributed parts of it.

Don't just assume that because Open Source is free, people develop it for free. Apache for example is completely free, because companies donate in order to fund it's development. Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, AMD, Facebook, HP, IBM, and others all give cash to the Apache foundation.

The majority of open source developers are professionals.
Current PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k Asus Maximus IV Extreme KFA2 GTX 580 Point of View GTX 580 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP Crucial M4 Some Samsung Custom Water Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit NEC 30 inch Razer Black Widow Corsair AX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone TJ07-S Steelseries Xai Razer Destructor Sennheiser HD 800 
Audio
Asus Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Current PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k Asus Maximus IV Extreme KFA2 GTX 580 Point of View GTX 580 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP Crucial M4 Some Samsung Custom Water Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit NEC 30 inch Razer Black Widow Corsair AX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone TJ07-S Steelseries Xai Razer Destructor Sennheiser HD 800 
Audio
Asus Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 60
Is that because you can do so much more with your Android phone and have better access to apps?
Pew Pew
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2600k @4.1Ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ G-Skill Sniper 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 500GB DVD burner Corsair H80 win7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 144hz 1ms / Optiquest Q7 19" MS x4 Sidewinder Thermaltake TP 850w Modular Corsair 800D 
Mouse
G400 
  hide details  
Reply
Pew Pew
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2600k @4.1Ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ G-Skill Sniper 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 500GB DVD burner Corsair H80 win7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 144hz 1ms / Optiquest Q7 19" MS x4 Sidewinder Thermaltake TP 850w Modular Corsair 800D 
Mouse
G400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Chang noted that Android, which is an open-source operating system, makes it easy for hackers to "understand the underlying architecture and source code."
FAIL. This is a flawed argument that has been around for decades and is nothing more than FUD. What Chang is advocating is security through obscurity, which is something that does not work. Period.

For example, Microsoft Windows is closed-source yet that has not stopped it from being the most virus/malware infected platform ever known to mankind. Just because the source-code is not easily accessible to the hacker does NOT (I repeat does NOT) stop him from finding exploits. The fact that Chang would even say this blows my mind.
Skylake Build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600k Gigabyte Z-170 Gaming 7 Gigabyte R9 390  Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i Windows 10 Pro Asus  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic EVGA NEX750 G1 Phanteks Eclipse P400 GSkill MX780 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake Build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600k Gigabyte Z-170 Gaming 7 Gigabyte R9 390  Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i Windows 10 Pro Asus  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic EVGA NEX750 G1 Phanteks Eclipse P400 GSkill MX780 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiussat View Post
FAIL. This is a flawed argument that has been around for decades and is nothing more than FUD. What Chang is advocating is security through obscurity, which is something that does not work. Period.

For example, Microsoft Windows is closed-source yet that has not stopped it from being the most virus/malware infected platform ever known to mankind. Just because the source-code is not easily accessible to the hacker does NOT (I repeat does NOT) stop him from finding exploits. The fact that Chang would even say this blows my mind.
However, just because there are viruses written for Windows doesn't make it insecure.

Insecurity only happens when it affects the end user. My Windows installs have been just as secure as any *nix-based kernel because I keep it that way.
Po' Pimpin'
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k @ stock Biostar TZ68K+ [A3] 4GB  Sandforce 1222 64GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG 22x DVD-+RW  Stock Windows 7 x64 Acer S211HL 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
600w Diablotek Linkworld Electronic Inland 
  hide details  
Reply
Po' Pimpin'
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k @ stock Biostar TZ68K+ [A3] 4GB  Sandforce 1222 64GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG 22x DVD-+RW  Stock Windows 7 x64 Acer S211HL 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
600w Diablotek Linkworld Electronic Inland 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
I disagree with his (Steve Chang's) assertion that Android is inherently more vulnerable "Because" it is open source.
There are many more "Good willed" people looking at its source code on a daily basis, than "Bad ones".
And as such, more people reviewing its code means that it's less likely that vulnerabilities will make their way in.
This concept extends over from Open Source projects like the Linux kernel.

Besides, they can implement "Sandboxing" and such just as easily.
jst like why firefox is so good

well said
800D Silky Smooth
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 930 GA-X58A-UD3R v2 5850 CROSSFIRE Corsair Dominator CMP6GX3M3A1600C7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD BLACK 1TB Seagate 500g LG BABY DVD Win7 64BIT SyncMaster BX2440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Silver Stone SST-S1000-P Corsair 800D RAZER COPPERHEAD 
Mouse Pad
RAZER 
  hide details  
Reply
800D Silky Smooth
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 930 GA-X58A-UD3R v2 5850 CROSSFIRE Corsair Dominator CMP6GX3M3A1600C7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD BLACK 1TB Seagate 500g LG BABY DVD Win7 64BIT SyncMaster BX2440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Silver Stone SST-S1000-P Corsair 800D RAZER COPPERHEAD 
Mouse Pad
RAZER 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Tuaw]Trend Micro says iOS a 'more secure platform' than Android