Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Connecting fan while PC on?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Connecting fan while PC on? - Page 3

post #21 of 25
I do it all the time with the HAF-X window fan, I always forget to shutdown before opening my case to have a look at something.

No harm done
post #22 of 25
Have done this in the case and on the bench since 1988. Never had a problem.

Don't going pluggin in a 240cfm fan into a MB fan header.....
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @4.4Ghz 24/7,HT On Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 6950 Flash 925/1500 Corsair 12GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
Crucial C-300 SSD W7 64bit Corsair AX750 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @4.4Ghz 24/7,HT On Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 6950 Flash 925/1500 Corsair 12GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
Crucial C-300 SSD W7 64bit Corsair AX750 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 25
a resounding

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EDIT: honestly it most likely wont do anything but theres always a chance it could blow up your computer, or at least give you a nasty cut on your fingernail
Edited by captain_clayman - 1/14/11 at 1:06am
My first rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 750 @3.7ghz Asus P7P55D-e Pro 2 x MSI Cyclone GTX 460 4gb G.Skill DDR3 @1600 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1tb Hitachi Deskstar LG generic drive Corsair H50 Win7 64 Bit Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VW246H 24" LCD 2ms Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX 750w Modular PSU CM 690 II Advanced 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
My first rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 750 @3.7ghz Asus P7P55D-e Pro 2 x MSI Cyclone GTX 460 4gb G.Skill DDR3 @1600 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1tb Hitachi Deskstar LG generic drive Corsair H50 Win7 64 Bit Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VW246H 24" LCD 2ms Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX 750w Modular PSU CM 690 II Advanced 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 25
Dont ever do it, u can short out ur whole system, 90% of the time the system will just engage the circuit protection and shut down, but the other 10% u might cause damage to ur machine

DONT DO IT
Sexy Red Got Wet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 4.2GHZ evga FTW3 x58(nb/sb cooled by stacked 120mm rads) SLI Zotac gtx580 3gb (WC EK)  Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Raptor 150gb, 1 300gb raptor, 1 tb black caviar Win7 Ultimate (64bit) 3x Viewsonic x2268 3dVision Surround!! g-15 Logitech 
PowerCaseMouse
antec 1000w Quattro antec 1200(all fans are coolermaster r4) g-500 Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
Sexy Red Got Wet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 4.2GHZ evga FTW3 x58(nb/sb cooled by stacked 120mm rads) SLI Zotac gtx580 3gb (WC EK)  Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Raptor 150gb, 1 300gb raptor, 1 tb black caviar Win7 Ultimate (64bit) 3x Viewsonic x2268 3dVision Surround!! g-15 Logitech 
PowerCaseMouse
antec 1000w Quattro antec 1200(all fans are coolermaster r4) g-500 Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 25
is it electrically safe? yes
do i do it? yes
has it ever caused me an issue? no

is it a smart idea? probably not
do people always do smart things? no
liger-zero
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
930/920/920/2500k/2500k/x4-640/x4-630/ x58Pro/x58Ext/P6TD/P8P67/P35/A780L/785GM-E51/H55M 5870CFX/GTX260Sli/5870/GTX260-Sli/GTX260/9600/8800 Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Corsair/Corsair/GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC 6G Extreme PRO / Crucial M4 SAMSUNG DVD-RW DL X64 Win 7 | X86 xp pro | OSX | Ubuntu | Backtrack Samsung 23 x 5 
KeyboardPowerCase
Saitek 850TX/MXS600/750TX/750TX/EA500/EA500/EA500/MxS500 700d + Rackmount server chassis 
  hide details  
Reply
liger-zero
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
930/920/920/2500k/2500k/x4-640/x4-630/ x58Pro/x58Ext/P6TD/P8P67/P35/A780L/785GM-E51/H55M 5870CFX/GTX260Sli/5870/GTX260-Sli/GTX260/9600/8800 Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Corsair/Corsair/GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC 6G Extreme PRO / Crucial M4 SAMSUNG DVD-RW DL X64 Win 7 | X86 xp pro | OSX | Ubuntu | Backtrack Samsung 23 x 5 
KeyboardPowerCase
Saitek 850TX/MXS600/750TX/750TX/EA500/EA500/EA500/MxS500 700d + Rackmount server chassis 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Connecting fan while PC on?