Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › I hate all you keyboard people... but...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I hate all you keyboard people... but... - Page 6

Poll Results: What colour Filco do you like?

 
  • 25% (12)
    Brown
  • 34% (16)
    Blue
  • 40% (19)
    Black
47 Total Votes  
post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by aynjell View Post
Those keyboards are not neccessarily better, mind you.
Better build quality, more durable, more tactile switches that don't have the double firing problems, clicky, yet not in the sort of high pitched way that Blue Cherries are. Unless you want something quiet or low force, there's not much better.

Quote:
Just different. The Razer I think anybody with any experience with keyboards would agree is garbage, but I doubt that the unicomp boards would be as good for gaming.
I game on them fine. Others game on them fine. Some would argue that a Topre, Brown Cherry or a linear board would be the ideal gaming keyboard, but these are definitely a better choice than a Blue Cherry board due to the absence of the double tap issue.

Quote:
Plus they sorta look like ass.
Being the pragmatic kinda guy I am, I'd rather have a keyboard that looks like **** than a keyboard that is ****.
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch_123 View Post
Better build quality, more durable, more tactile switches that don't have the double firing problems, clicky, yet not in the sort of high pitched way that Blue Cherries are. Unless you want something quiet or low force, there's not much better.



I game on them fine. Others game on them fine. Some would argue that a Topre, Brown Cherry or a linear board would be the ideal gaming keyboard, but these are definitely a better choice than a Blue Cherry board due to the absence of the double tap issue.



Being the pragmatic kinda guy I am, I'd rather have a keyboard that looks like **** than a keyboard that is ****.
So are you saying that the Das Keyboard is a bad keyboard, or that the unicomp is better? I think it boils down to taste if you are arguing the latter. Not everybody likes buckling springs, myself included; some people prefer the cherry feel. My argument was that the Das Keyboard did everything better than the Razer with the same key switches and a similar feeling cap... what's your argument?

post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by aynjell View Post
So are you saying that the Das Keyboard is a bad keyboard, or that the unicomp is better? I think it boils down to taste if you are arguing the latter.
So your point about the Das being better than the Razer is an issue of taste?

Quote:
Not everybody likes buckling springs, myself included; some people prefer the cherry feel.
Out of curiosity, have you actually tried a buckling spring keyboard?

In regards to feel, some people prefer one over the other. But there are ways in which the Unicomp is objectively better than any Cherry-based keyboard currently on the market - the dye sub keycaps won't wear out, whereas everything Cherry-based these days is either pad printed or lasered, both of which are prone to wear. There are double shot Cherry keyboards, but they don't come standard and are usually expensive relative to the price of the keyboard. There's also the durability issues, both in terms of the long term durability of the switch (Blue Cherries turn to mush with age, far moreso than the spring wear associated with some older buckling spring designs) and with resistance of the switch to damage - if you spill something over a Cherry switch keyboard, it's pretty much ****ed, whereas the way a buckling spring keyboard is constructed isolates the guts from the outside world. Then of course you have the whole double tap problem.

My point? Well, I guess you'd imagine that keyboards increase in quality as price increases, doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately.
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by aynjell View Post
So are you saying that the Das Keyboard is a bad keyboard, or that the unicomp is better? I think it boils down to taste if you are arguing the latter. Not everybody likes buckling springs, myself included; some people prefer the cherry feel. My argument was that the Das Keyboard did everything better than the Razer with the same key switches and a similar feeling cap... what's your argument?

It's a free country. You can use any keyboard you want no matter what the rampaging college kid says. Both Das and Unicomp make great keyboards that should last you a good, long time. I've seen many people who like both.

By the way, what model Das keyboard do you use? Is it the blue Cherry version?
Edited by microsoft windows - 1/14/11 at 2:07pm
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Pentium AT25 ISA Chipset 64MB 515MB Quantum Fireball 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
CD-ROM Windows For Workgroups 3.11 Gateway2000 Vivitron 17 Gateway 2000 Rubber Dome keyboard 
PowerMouseMouse Pad
Astek 90-watt Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1A Gateway 2000 Cow Print mouse pad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Pentium AT25 ISA Chipset 64MB 515MB Quantum Fireball 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
CD-ROM Windows For Workgroups 3.11 Gateway2000 Vivitron 17 Gateway 2000 Rubber Dome keyboard 
PowerMouseMouse Pad
Astek 90-watt Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1A Gateway 2000 Cow Print mouse pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 66
yay! you did the switch
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch_123 View Post
So your point about the Das being better than the Razer is an issue of taste?
One could say that if your taste was based on the macro keys feature, but the switches being identical, I'd be more inclined to say it's an empirical statement. Same switches. Same feel, with the only real difference being the quality of the underlying board. The razer does nothing better than the das keyboard other than having a software suite and macro keys attached to it. Overall quality is better with the das.

Arguing between two totally seperate key switch designs however, would be a bit of a matter of taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch_123 View Post
Out of curiosity, have you actually tried a buckling spring keyboard?

In regards to feel, some people prefer one over the other. But there are ways in which the Unicomp is objectively better than any Cherry-based keyboard currently on the market - the dye sub keycaps won't wear out, whereas everything Cherry-based these days is either pad printed or lasered, both of which are prone to wear. There are double shot Cherry keyboards, but they don't come standard and are usually expensive relative to the price of the keyboard. There's also the durability issues, both in terms of the long term durability of the switch (Blue Cherries turn to mush with age, far moreso than the spring wear associated with some older buckling spring designs) and with resistance of the switch to damage - if you spill something over a Cherry switch keyboard, it's pretty much ****ed, whereas the way a buckling spring keyboard is constructed isolates the guts from the outside world. Then of course you have the whole double tap problem.

My point? Well, I guess you'd imagine that keyboards increase in quality as price increases, doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately.
Dye sublimination key caps exist for the cherry stems as well. One thing I'll point out pretty quickly is I prefer a blank key set. I do not need a legend to use a keyboard and I find that it's fun to show people my blank keyboard. Yes, it's pointless but fun.

What is more, you're arguing a completely different problem. The double tap issue isn't really all that important for gaming, because most gamers bottom out regardless and this is mostly isolated to blues. for that rare gamer that can actually use the keys for gaming the way they were meant to be used for typing, yes it might matter, but in my case... I have a brown based board now... which is better for gaming. The razer is equipped with blues. So is the das keyboard normal. Between the two, the das is empirically better.

Between the buckling spring and cherry key switches, yes there are advantages to the buckling spring approach, but ultimately, for an end user i think the feel is more important. if it doesn't feel right to you, then it lasting forever is immaterial.
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Dye sublimination key caps exist for the cherry stems as well. One thing I'll point out pretty quickly is I prefer a blank key set. I do not need a legend to use a keyboard and I find that it's fun to show people my blank keyboard. Yes, it's pointless but fun.
There are dye sub and double shot ones, but not by standard on just about any readily available Cherry switch keyboards on the market. Admittedly, dye sub imposes some limitations on what colour of keycap and writing you can have, and double shots are expensive, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you spend $100+ on a keyboard with legends on the keys, you'd like to think that there's no way the legends will rub off after a few months,

Fair enough to the rest, but again, have you ever used a buckling spring keyboard?
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch_123 View Post
There are dye sub and double shot ones, but not by standard on just about any readily available Cherry switch keyboards on the market. Admittedly, dye sub imposes some limitations on what colour of keycap and writing you can have, and double shots are expensive, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you spend $100+ on a keyboard with legends on the keys, you'd like to think that there's no way the legends will rub off after a few months,

Fair enough to the rest, but again, have you ever used a buckling spring keyboard?
Yeah, not my type of board, man. Like I said, it's mostly a taste thing... and for me I just prefer the feel of cherry's. I may have to give it another try because things do change. I personally wouldn't ever spend money on dye sub or double shots, because that's a whole lot of money for something I don't need. THe only reason my blue based board has a legend is because at the time of it's purchase, and it was purchased for me as a valentine's day gift when they were half off... it was the only computer in our household. She needed legend, I didn't.
Edited by aynjell - 1/14/11 at 4:30pm
post #59 of 66
Thread Starter 
Epic, Logitech just authorised a new board to be sent out to me

Shame i'm going to switch though, for what it's worth, this Logi Illuminated has been really nice. Pleasant typing experience (scissor switches are much, much better than standard rubber dome), great looking and reasonable price. It's just not built for extreme use.
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
[s]

Razer ordered.

So I noticed you ignored the results of the poll.

Well, I hate you too.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
Keyboard
Lots of them 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
Keyboard
Lots of them 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › I hate all you keyboard people... but...