Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Overclocking with dual montors is a pain, but I finally got it (lol HD 4650)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Overclocking with dual montors is a pain, but I finally got it (lol HD 4650)

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
If I set the memory higher than 520 mhz, then the second monitor starts flickering -__- (also, GPU-z reports it as only 517.5 mhz under the sensors).
Anyway, it went from 600/400 to 727/520, so I'm happy. It gets a boost of about 25+ fps in Source games.

It's always at this frequency, though. Anything that I've tried to do to get it to downclock with not in use either makes the second monitor flicker when the switch occurs, or flicker like crazy all the time.

temps: never hits 70 C, fan always below 60%, 1.15 V.

Oh -- higher OCCT shader levels get errors at pretty much any overclock, but the default settings and every other program gets no errors >_> I'm not going to be trying to run crysis on this thing, or anything that is above DX 9, so it's all good and, worst-case scenario, I get one small artifact for a small fraction of a second that i probably wont' notice?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 B55:4.2Ghz@1.45V NB:2.6Ghz@1.275V ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 2 x HD 5870 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1.5V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Spinpoint F3 + 250 GB 7200.10 Multi DVD-RW Gentoo 64-bit + Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 19" @ 1440x900 + 17" @ 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M XFX 650W seXXXy Edition Antec 300 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 B55:4.2Ghz@1.45V NB:2.6Ghz@1.275V ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 2 x HD 5870 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1.5V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Spinpoint F3 + 250 GB 7200.10 Multi DVD-RW Gentoo 64-bit + Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 19" @ 1440x900 + 17" @ 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M XFX 650W seXXXy Edition Antec 300 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by win7 View Post
If I set the memory higher than 520 mhz, then the second monitor starts flickering -__- (also, GPU-z reports it as only 517.5 mhz under the sensors).
Anyway, it went from 600/400 to 727/520, so I'm happy. It gets a boost of about 25+ fps in Source games.

It's always at this frequency, though. Anything that I've tried to do to get it to downclock with not in use either makes the second monitor flicker when the switch occurs, or flicker like crazy all the time.

temps: never hits 70 C, fan always below 60%, 1.15 V.

Oh -- higher OCCT shader levels get errors at pretty much any overclock, but the default settings and every other program gets no errors >_> I'm not going to be trying to run crysis on this thing, or anything that is above DX 9, so it's all good and, worst-case scenario, I get one small artifact for a small fraction of a second that i probably wont' notice?
are you trying to say you disabled power saving features?
the flicker is normal. it's a driver issue for 10.10, 10.11, and 10.12.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiasian View Post
are you trying to say you disabled power saving features?
the flicker is normal. it's a driver issue for 10.10, 10.11, and 10.12.
>_> does that make me a bad person?
Yes and no. MSI afterburner by default kept it at the max, and setting separate 2D clocks didn't work for me. I tried using GPUTool to set lower idle clocks, but then the screen went crazy.

So, I'd have to downgrade to 10.9/wait until 11.1 (if they fix it)?

P.S. I remember that they had this issue before like 10.5 or 10.4, but then fixed it? And now they broke it again? >_>
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 B55:4.2Ghz@1.45V NB:2.6Ghz@1.275V ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 2 x HD 5870 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1.5V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Spinpoint F3 + 250 GB 7200.10 Multi DVD-RW Gentoo 64-bit + Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 19" @ 1440x900 + 17" @ 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M XFX 650W seXXXy Edition Antec 300 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 B55:4.2Ghz@1.45V NB:2.6Ghz@1.275V ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 2 x HD 5870 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1.5V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Spinpoint F3 + 250 GB 7200.10 Multi DVD-RW Gentoo 64-bit + Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 19" @ 1440x900 + 17" @ 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M XFX 650W seXXXy Edition Antec 300 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by win7 View Post
>_> does that make me a bad person?
Yes and no. MSI afterburner by default kept it at the max, and setting separate 2D clocks didn't work for me. I tried using GPUTool to set lower idle clocks, but then the screen went crazy.

So, I'd have to downgrade to 10.9/wait until 11.1 (if they fix it)?

P.S. I remember that they had this issue before like 10.5 or 10.4, but then fixed it? And now they broke it again? >_>
hold up, hold up.
how were you able to disable the power saving features without reflashing bios?
if you have nothing open except msi afterburner, eventually the clocks will go to 400/1000.

generally, 10.5a is known as the most stable driver release. as far as i know this release has no flickering.
i have not tested this because i don't want to go through uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
I just set clocks in MSI afterburner and BAM it stopped. I kept trying to manually set power saving clocks, but the flicker defeated the point.
...this is safe, right? idling at 48-49 C with 29% fan.
I reset, and I don't have anything startup, and my clocks stayed but the custom fan curve is only in effect if Afterburner is open (no big deal, i didn't need it anyway). I'm weird and don't like having anything other than AV startup/run in background.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 B55:4.2Ghz@1.45V NB:2.6Ghz@1.275V ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 2 x HD 5870 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1.5V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Spinpoint F3 + 250 GB 7200.10 Multi DVD-RW Gentoo 64-bit + Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 19" @ 1440x900 + 17" @ 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M XFX 650W seXXXy Edition Antec 300 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 B55:4.2Ghz@1.45V NB:2.6Ghz@1.275V ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 2 x HD 5870 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1.5V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Spinpoint F3 + 250 GB 7200.10 Multi DVD-RW Gentoo 64-bit + Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 19" @ 1440x900 + 17" @ 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M XFX 650W seXXXy Edition Antec 300 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
well, it isn't supposed to do that.
not saying that it's particularly "bad," it's just abnormal.

if your GPU usage is at 0% and you let it sit for 5 minutes, your clocks are still 727/520?
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Yes:
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/11/01/14/8x7.png

I don't have a reference design, I believe; it's an ASUS one.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 B55:4.2Ghz@1.45V NB:2.6Ghz@1.275V ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 2 x HD 5870 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1.5V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Spinpoint F3 + 250 GB 7200.10 Multi DVD-RW Gentoo 64-bit + Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 19" @ 1440x900 + 17" @ 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M XFX 650W seXXXy Edition Antec 300 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 B55:4.2Ghz@1.45V NB:2.6Ghz@1.275V ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 2 x HD 5870 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1.5V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Spinpoint F3 + 250 GB 7200.10 Multi DVD-RW Gentoo 64-bit + Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 19" @ 1440x900 + 17" @ 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M XFX 650W seXXXy Edition Antec 300 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Overclocking with dual montors is a pain, but I finally got it (lol HD 4650)