Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Redmondpie] Geohot speaks openly with G4 about Sony Lawsuit against him
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Redmondpie] Geohot speaks openly with G4 about Sony Lawsuit against him - Page 16

post #151 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
It amazes me that so many people are willing to let sony break the law.

GeoHot has done nothing illegal. The fruits of his labor may be used illegally, but why should he be punished for the potential actions of others?

Should the scientists in the Manhattan project be jailed for discovering nuclear fission because it can be used to kill massive amounts of people?

Should the man who discovered steel be jailed because steel can be forged into a sword used for taking life?

They call this critical thinking. If GeoHot's work gives people the opportunity to pirate, he shouldn't be punished. The people who choose to pirate are the ones who should be held responsible, just like the man who uses the sword or who fires the nuclear missle.

Tl;dr

Give credit where credit is due.
This.

If I run over someone in a Toyota, do you tell the family to sue Toyota for making the car? No, you don't, this is exactly the same.

If I rewired a PSU made by say, Corsair, to blow up a motherboard when you turn the PC on, would you blame Corsair for it? No, you wouldn't...Once again, the same.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #152 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinxe View Post
No, modifying software that isn't yours isn't legal without permission. I don't know how many times I have to clearly say, the device is yours. That is what I said it in such a "condescending" way because people don't seem to understand. The hardware and software are different things. Do what ever you want with the hardware, it doesn't matter. Making your own software without using anything from someone else's software is fine. Taking their software and forging unauthorized content without their permission is equivalent to forging their signature and taking something that isn't yours. I'm not sure how much more clearer that can get.
And I don't know how much more clear I can get either.
There is legal precedent that says you are wrong.
It has been ruled that modifying the software in a device to add functionality is a right you as a consumer are entitled to. The only difference here is that the precedent applies to phones and not consoles yet. Accepting sony's shaft because it tickles your nosehairs and you enjoy the feeling won't change that.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=is+jailbreaking+legal
Edited by Bluescreen_Of_Death - 1/15/11 at 1:29am
post #153 of 171
Blue he is not going to get it. Personally, I would give up and let him wallow in his ignorance.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @ 4.0 Ghz GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R BFG GTX285 OC2 691/1566/2592 OCZ Obsidian 6GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Pro 64 245BW G15 BFG 800 
CaseMouse
CoolerMaster CM690 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @ 4.0 Ghz GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R BFG GTX285 OC2 691/1566/2592 OCZ Obsidian 6GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Pro 64 245BW G15 BFG 800 
CaseMouse
CoolerMaster CM690 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #154 of 171
It's like coffee machine and the seller tells you ; '' yeah, it has a hot water in it, but you can not make a tea'' with a smile..
Fixed
(13 items)
 
  
Reply
Fixed
(13 items)
 
  
Reply
post #155 of 171
I agree with a lot of you. I payed for it so therefore I will do with it what I want.

If they void my warranty, and I have no issue with it then I will put the CFW on it.

Everyone has choices. I have jailbroken/modded a lot of consoles I own. 360,Wii,iPod. Numerous. If I have a issue with my device and they choose not to honor the warranty because of what I have done then ok. I took the chance with it when I messed around with it.

And only the pirates should be punished for being just that. I can't speak much though.
post #156 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
Blue he is not going to get it. Personally, I would give up and let him wallow in his ignorance.
I do get it. Personally, no one cares what you would do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
And I don't know how much more clear I can get either.
There is legal precedent that says you are wrong.
It has been ruled that modifying the software in a device to add functionality is a right you as a consumer are entitled to. The only difference here is that the precedent applies to phones and not consoles yet. Accepting sony's shaft because it tickles your nosehairs and you enjoy the feeling won't change that.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=is+jailbreaking+legal
Don't you see a problem there? It applies to phones now, I understand that. Good, congrats. It doesn't yet apply to consoles. Keyword is yet. So, as of now, I'm not wrong. I understand this sets major ground for Geo to have a good case, but as of now it is still illegal.

Plus, take a look here. http://www.copyright.gov/1201/
It doesn't say it is "legal", they simply say they aren't going to prosecute people who are doing it. It doesn't say anywhere that the company can't prosecute for violating their service agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by source
Persons making noninfringing uses of the following six classes of works will not be subject to the prohibition against circumventing access controls (17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(1)) until the conclusion of the next rulemaking.
>> Until the conclusion of the next rulemaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasha1234 View Post
It's like coffee machine and the seller tells you ; '' yeah, it has a hot water in it, but you can not make a tea'' with a smile..
Actually, it's like when most people here confuse hardware and software and then try to make bad analogies, then smile about it.
Edited by Zinxe - 1/16/11 at 1:59am
Mine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD Barracuda 500 WD 1000 WD 1000 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM Windows 10 Acer S277HK 27" 4K Acer 23" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" 1080p Razer Black Widow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX 
Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex 
  hide details  
Reply
Mine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD Barracuda 500 WD 1000 WD 1000 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM Windows 10 Acer S277HK 27" 4K Acer 23" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" 1080p Razer Black Widow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX 
Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #157 of 171
well, its like this thing. im going to describe to you how it works so you get a vague idea that the same situation might apply to this case without explaining the actual situation at hand.
post #158 of 171
A lot of debating, all for nothing.

The hack was done to re-enable OtherOS support. The unintended effect of this is to make future hacks relating to homebrew and pirated content possible. Sony are angry, and as the PS3 isn't covered by the same DMCA/whatever loopholes as cellular devices it's likely they'll pwn him in the face.

Fair enough, but it won't affect homebrew/OtherOS/piracy, all of which are now inevitable. Genie is out of the bottle. No way to put it back in...

All the discussions in the world about the moral position of either of the hacker/hacker groups and/or Sony doesn't matter a poop. What has been done has been done, and the inevitable is inevitable.

So let's just hope they come up with a wicked OtherOS which allows you to launch PS3 features, and worry about the rest of it when it happens.
HAL 9005
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600K Asus z170i Pro Gaming Nvidia 1070 Inno3D 8 GB 2x8GB 3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
256GB Samsung 830D + 2TB WD Eco Green + 2TB WD Red External, for silence's sake.  Corsair GTX H100i  6xEKV Vardar 2250 PWM rpm slaved to AOI 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W10 64 Dell U2515H 1440p CM Storm Quickfire Red w/ O-rings Seasonic M12 700W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 240 Logitech G700s CM Storm G930 
  hide details  
Reply
HAL 9005
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600K Asus z170i Pro Gaming Nvidia 1070 Inno3D 8 GB 2x8GB 3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
256GB Samsung 830D + 2TB WD Eco Green + 2TB WD Red External, for silence's sake.  Corsair GTX H100i  6xEKV Vardar 2250 PWM rpm slaved to AOI 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W10 64 Dell U2515H 1440p CM Storm Quickfire Red w/ O-rings Seasonic M12 700W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 240 Logitech G700s CM Storm G930 
  hide details  
Reply
post #159 of 171
Quote:
Personally, no one cares what you would do.
Personally speaking on behalf of everyone else. What wonderful logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinxe View Post
Don't you see a problem there? It applies to phones now, I understand that. Good, congrats. It doesn't yet apply to consoles. Keyword is yet. So, as of know, I'm not wrong. I understand this sets major ground for Geo to have a good case, but as of now it is still illegal.
Because if it isn't implicitly stated to be legal, it must be illegal. Again, what wonderful logic.

Nothing of Sony's is being distributed. Software that recovers data from other software is not illegal. Keys are not being spread.

Sony will lose.

Regardless, even if it were illegal to do such a thing, I don't understand why someone would support such a twisted perspective. Least of all to the extent you have.



I'm not sure if I would hate you so much if you had an alternative avatar. But the avatar and demeanor make for a devastating combination.
Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) 760ti G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 Noctua NH D14 Windows 7 64bit Dell SP2309W 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell S2009W Dell S2009W CM Storm Quickfire XT NZXT Phantom Black 
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) 760ti G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 Noctua NH D14 Windows 7 64bit Dell SP2309W 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell S2009W Dell S2009W CM Storm Quickfire XT NZXT Phantom Black 
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
post #160 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
The difference here is you're just flat out wrong. There is legal precedent that shows that it is legal to modify the device and add extra functionality. What you choose to do with that functionality is a different ballgame entirely.

There is a difference between providing the oportunity to commit a crime and actually committing the crime, and you seem to be unable to make the distinction.
While there is a precedent for releasing code that is 100% original to modify a device, there is quite definitely no precedent to reverse-engineer copyrighted software code and release it to the public. I have no problem with Hotz wanting to crack/hack/jailbreak/whatever-you-want-to-call-it the PS3. I have absolutely no respect for some self-righteous prick who steals intellectual property from a multi-billion dollar international giant.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Redmondpie] Geohot speaks openly with G4 about Sony Lawsuit against him