Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Three (3) computers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Three (3) computers - Page 6

post #51 of 72
Thread Starter 
Sometimes one like me in this instance has to "tap" the noggin to know what to seek in a case.

I have to remember why I went and purchased a HAF 912 case in the first place.

One of the things that "sold" me was part of the hard drive module that could be taken out or turned around so it's no longer mostly BLOCKING the fresh air flow coming from the front intake fan(s).

As "convenient" as it is for the hard drives to slide in from the side, the downside is that the hard drive cage has to be turned in a way that it almost creates a wall and blocks much of the intake fans' fresh air and it with this setup doesn't even effectively (compared to the old fashioned way of mounting hard drives in a case) cool the hard drives as well IMO. This is why in many scenarios people are putting higher CFM fans in front to compensate and spending good amount of $$ so to get those fans that also have a lower dba.

Let me add: Yeah on "some" cases part of the hard drive cage can be taken out but on such most cannot be turned around if one has more hard drives and don't want to place those hard drives in any remaining 5.25" slot.

Am I out of my mind (don't think so) or so right?

Are you going to tell me I'm mistaken, please let me know.

See I've been using POS cases that have the old-fashioned (I call it) way of mounting hard drives with screws - imagine that!

You can honestly respond, I did ask.
Edited by nickt1862 - 1/16/11 at 9:20am
post #52 of 72
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...12238&Tpk=k58w

Good case
My Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 960 @ 4 GHz Asus P6X58D HIS 7970 Crossfire 6 GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1 TB Spinpoint F3 MSI 24X DVD Burner LG Flatron W2452T 1920x1200 XFX 850w Core Edition 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
My Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 960 @ 4 GHz Asus P6X58D HIS 7970 Crossfire 6 GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1 TB Spinpoint F3 MSI 24X DVD Burner LG Flatron W2452T 1920x1200 XFX 850w Core Edition 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 72
You aren't completely wrong. Today's hard drives tend to run a bit cooler than the ones from even 3 years ago did, so they don't need as much airflow to run at a decent temp so sideways mounts aren't that big of a deal for them. The sideways mount does lower the amount of cool air that can get to the interior of the case though. That's why a case like the 692 is so nice in that it has an intake in the bottom of the case that blows up. It's also why a lot of people like cases with five 5.25" bays which makes it easy to add a 120mm intake fan to them which blows directly torward the cpu heatsink fan and memory area of the case. Having two fan openings in the top of the case also helps in that you can mount the front one as an intake and the rear one as exhaust or not even install the front fan on top and let the cpu heatsink fan draw air into the case along with air through the side panel fan openings. A lot of people will also put their hard drives in a 4 in 3 device they put in a 5.25" bay.

But like I've stated on more than one occasion in this thread, all cases are a compromise and each individual needs to determine what features are important to them then find a case that fits their needs/wants with as few negatives that they have to put up with. What you give up with the old front to back hard drive bays is less eficient cable management opportunities, especially with a case that is shorter overall from front to back like a lot of them are and a full size ATX mobo. There simply isn't anywhere for the cables to be routed. The CM Centurion 590 is an excellent example of a case with front to back hard drive mounts and fairly good cable management capabilities if one is willing to get their Dremel out and cut a few holes. Unfortunately CM hasn't been selling enough of them lately and discontinued it.

I have nothing against screws for mounting hardware in a case. In fact, I've replaced some of the toolless mounts in my CM Elite 330 with Thumb Screws.
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
The overall build quality is fine, but only having four internal 3.5" hard drive bays and no external 3.5" bays at all (or even a 5.25" bay converter to 3.5") are deal killers for me (I have 6 hard drives and a floppy drive I NEED to have). Plus not having a black interior is another strike against it. If one doesn't want the black interior and doesn't need more than 4 hard drive bays or external 3.5" bay it would indeed be an excellent choice.
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 72
whack em in a server chassis, like a big blade model its a case - for all 3
Triggers broom
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R  Gigabyte GTX460 Super Talent 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Barracuda LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive EK Supreme LXT EK 240 Rad 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK big res and 2.2 pump Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2159v  Razer Arctosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX600 Xigmatek Midgard Razer Abyssus Steelseries cheapo one 
AudioOther
Sony TA-D607 iPhone 4 
  hide details  
Reply
Triggers broom
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R  Gigabyte GTX460 Super Talent 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Barracuda LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive EK Supreme LXT EK 240 Rad 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK big res and 2.2 pump Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2159v  Razer Arctosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX600 Xigmatek Midgard Razer Abyssus Steelseries cheapo one 
AudioOther
Sony TA-D607 iPhone 4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
You aren't completely wrong. Today's hard drives tend to run a bit cooler than the ones from even 3 years ago did, so they don't need as much airflow to run at a decent temp so sideways mounts aren't that big of a deal for them. The sideways mount does lower the amount of cool air that can get to the interior of the case though. That's why a case like the 692 is so nice in that it has an intake in the bottom of the case that blows up. It's also why a lot of people like cases with five 5.25" bays which makes it easy to add a 120mm intake fan to them which blows directly torward the cpu heatsink fan and memory area of the case. Having two fan openings in the top of the case also helps in that you can mount the front one as an intake and the rear one as exhaust or not even install the front fan on top and let the cpu heatsink fan draw air into the case along with air through the side panel fan openings. A lot of people will also put their hard drives in a 4 in 3 device they put in a 5.25" bay.

But like I've stated on more than one occasion in this thread, all cases are a compromise and each individual needs to determine what features are important to them then find a case that fits their needs/wants with as few negatives that they have to put up with. What you give up with the old front to back hard drive bays is less eficient cable management opportunities, especially with a case that is shorter overall from front to back like a lot of them are and a full size ATX mobo. There simply isn't anywhere for the cables to be routed. The CM Centurion 590 is an excellent example of a case with front to back hard drive mounts and fairly good cable management capabilities if one is willing to get their Dremel out and cut a few holes. Unfortunately CM hasn't been selling enough of them lately and discontinued it.

I have nothing against screws for mounting hardware in a case. In fact, I've replaced some of the toolless mounts in my CM Elite 330 with Thumb Screws.
First Paragraph - Very well said.

Bolded - You know why they couldn't sell enough of those IMO? Because of case manufacturers trying to reinvent the wheel and people got sold on it. Another revision of that case could've come out addressing the cable management holes if that didn't happen. If one uses SATA hard drives in such a case it helps if they purchase rounded SATA data cables to better conceal them verses the normal flat ones.

One wonders why a company like Antec makes cases that mount the hard drives "the old fashioned way" still. Though they make those cases with plenty of 5.25" bays that have those hard drive 3 hard drive modules that go into them with a fan like you were mentioning. Old school doesn't really mean it being bad and like you mentioned there's compromises to be made as there's no perfect, but perfect as possible for the buyer.

Do I actually revisit considering Antec cases? Maybe the 902 V3, but one thing I wish they did with that if they had an opening on the bottom of the case where the power supply goes so the fan can be pointed downward. It would be a challenging mod even for those talented because the way the metal floor is perforated and get a filter there too even on the very bottom.

As we go back and forth, it's actually good for anyone reading this thread as it brings up different issues with cases. So you and others are doing a service to this forum with this thread.

As you can see thoughts are still swirling in my mind!
Edited by nickt1862 - 1/16/11 at 11:07am
post #57 of 72
The worst thing about the Antec cases is many of them don't have as much room between the mobo tray and the side panel to route cables. That's one of the nice things about the 912 which is a bit wider there than other CM cases, and the Scout which has the bump out in the side panel. As little as 1/8" can be a lot back there with the 24pin power cable.

Speaking of round SATA data cables, where do you get yours? My normal sources of cables don't have any round ones that don't cost and arm and a leg and are shorter than 3 feet long. That would be something to try. I've never had any, but it does sound like a good idea. The way the SATA data ports are located on my EP45-UD3P motherboard makes the normal flat ones a real pain when you have a pair of dual slot graphics cards no matter how the drive bays are orientated.
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
The worst thing about the Antec cases is many of them don't have as much room between the mobo tray and the side panel to route cables. That's one of the nice things about the 912 which is a bit wider there than other CM cases, and the Scout which has the bump out in the side panel. As little as 1/8" can be a lot back there with the 24pin power cable.

Speaking of round SATA data cables, where do you get yours? My normal sources of cables don't have any round ones that don't cost and arm and a leg and are shorter than 3 feet long. That would be something to try. I've never had any, but it does sound like a good idea. The way the SATA data ports are located on my EP45-UD3P motherboard makes the normal flat ones a real pain when you have a pair of dual slot graphics cards no matter how the drive bays are orientated.
As much as the HAF 912 was (blanked) lol! it does have great features wrapped in a "tidy" package.

I don't own any rounded SATA cables but am seeking to acquire some as well when I figure out what length I want them at.




I wouldn't purchase that color but the photos above gives some others an idea of what rounded SATA II cables looks like, it's also made for SATA III.
post #59 of 72
I know what they look like, just having a problem finding a reputable source for shorter ones (6 to 10") with straight connectors at each end. The only place I'm finding them are at Performance PCS, and I'm not that fond of them.

There is absolutely no difference between a SATA 2 and SATA 3 cable. The only difference between a SATA 1 and a SATA 2/3 cable is the locking mechanism on the 2/3 cable. Internally they are identical and are completely backward and forward compatible.
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
I know what they look like, just having a problem finding a reputable source for shorter ones (6 to 10") with straight connectors at each end. The only place I'm finding them are at Performance PCS, and I'm not that fond of them.

There is absolutely no difference between a SATA 2 and SATA 3 cable. The only difference between a SATA 1 and a SATA 2/3 cable is the locking mechanism on the 2/3 cable. Internally they are identical and are completely backward and forward compatible.
Yeah I knew of the "scam" of those cables are the same except for the locking mechanism. Also figured you know what the rounded SATA cables looked like but those photos serve well for people who never seen them.

I've only begun to search for those SATA cables, hope someone can find a good source for these.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Three (3) computers