Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Little help with 980x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little help with 980x - Page 6

post #51 of 98
Still think it would be a good idea to update the BIOS to reset all settings and start again.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980X 4.8GHz @1.44V Gigabyte X58A UD5 rev 2.0 GTX580 Lightning 3x2GB Dominator GTs C8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
C300 256GB SSD + WD750 Caviar Black Windows 7 64bit Home Premium DELL U2410 Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair Gold AX1200 Lian Li Habu 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980X 4.8GHz @1.44V Gigabyte X58A UD5 rev 2.0 GTX580 Lightning 3x2GB Dominator GTs C8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
C300 256GB SSD + WD750 Caviar Black Windows 7 64bit Home Premium DELL U2410 Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair Gold AX1200 Lian Li Habu 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by YerMother View Post
Still think it would be a good idea to update the BIOS to reset all settings and start again.
i agree with that
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i7 extreme 980x evga classified sli sapphire 5970+5870 Super Talent DDR3 2000cl7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ ssd 60g 2 in raid 0 ASUS 7 64bit Ultimate Samsung syncmaster 23inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 1000hx Corsair 800D Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i7 extreme 980x evga classified sli sapphire 5970+5870 Super Talent DDR3 2000cl7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ ssd 60g 2 in raid 0 ASUS 7 64bit Ultimate Samsung syncmaster 23inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 1000hx Corsair 800D Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YerMother View Post
Is it stable at standard settings running memory at its rated spec? You need a starting reference point to work from, no point in trying others peoples settings, as you can see you are getting no where!! If the issue is hardware you need to home in on the issue if not you need to fine a stable point and work from there.
Yea, I actually had it at 3.6 for about a month before I got the RASA kit. The memory came from my last system which has ran fine for 2yrs. Forgot to state it, but I did Load the latest BIOS and restart toward the beginning of the thread before you mentioned it, just forgot to say so.

It's just got me thinking becuase I can find a setting by either upping the multi or upping the bclk that it seems like it will be stable for a bit, but after an hr or so, I get the x124's like crazy. I've kept everything the same once, and bumped the QPI down to 1.2 and up to 1.375 and either way it wouldnt help. So I'm wondering what else would throw a x124 error?

I will be +rep for everyone that has helped so far, I've actually learned quite a bit from all you guys.

oh and yes, i've been running the memory low, depending on the blck, but its usually been between 1100-1300, and now im setting the uncore to 1.5x that. With my timings at 9-9-9-24 2n, the other settings under the dram timings are on auto, is that fine?
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x 4.5@1.38 Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX660ti Corsair XMS3 16GB PC1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung EVO SSD LG BD-RW 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung T240 
PowerCase
Corsair HX1000 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x 4.5@1.38 Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX660ti Corsair XMS3 16GB PC1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung EVO SSD LG BD-RW 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung T240 
PowerCase
Corsair HX1000 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 98
Do you have another PSU you can try? I had a HX1000 and I RMA'd it after a week!! Wouldn't coldboot my system and volts went crazy after a while and system would crash.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980X 4.8GHz @1.44V Gigabyte X58A UD5 rev 2.0 GTX580 Lightning 3x2GB Dominator GTs C8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
C300 256GB SSD + WD750 Caviar Black Windows 7 64bit Home Premium DELL U2410 Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair Gold AX1200 Lian Li Habu 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980X 4.8GHz @1.44V Gigabyte X58A UD5 rev 2.0 GTX580 Lightning 3x2GB Dominator GTs C8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
C300 256GB SSD + WD750 Caviar Black Windows 7 64bit Home Premium DELL U2410 Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair Gold AX1200 Lian Li Habu 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by waparson View Post
Yea, I actually had it at 3.6 for about a month before I got the RASA kit. The memory came from my last system which has ran fine for 2yrs. Forgot to state it, but I did Load the latest BIOS and restart toward the beginning of the thread before you mentioned it, just forgot to say so.

It's just got me thinking becuase I can find a setting by either upping the multi or upping the bclk that it seems like it will be stable for a bit, but after an hr or so, I get the x124's like crazy. I've kept everything the same once, and bumped the QPI down to 1.2 and up to 1.375 and either way it wouldnt help. So I'm wondering what else would throw a x124 error?

I will be +rep for everyone that has helped so far, I've actually learned quite a bit from all you guys.

oh and yes, i've been running the memory low, depending on the blck, but its usually been between 1100-1300, and now im setting the uncore to 1.5x that. With my timings at 9-9-9-24 2n, the other settings under the dram timings are on auto, is that fine?

with that nice of a cpu you need good memory those timings are really bad and the 1300mhz maby its time to upgrade to some good memory for that chip
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i7 extreme 980x evga classified sli sapphire 5970+5870 Super Talent DDR3 2000cl7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ ssd 60g 2 in raid 0 ASUS 7 64bit Ultimate Samsung syncmaster 23inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 1000hx Corsair 800D Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i7 extreme 980x evga classified sli sapphire 5970+5870 Super Talent DDR3 2000cl7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ ssd 60g 2 in raid 0 ASUS 7 64bit Ultimate Samsung syncmaster 23inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 1000hx Corsair 800D Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YerMother View Post
Do you have another PSU you can try? I had a HX1000 and I RMA'd it after a week!! Wouldn't coldboot my system and volts went crazy after a while and system would crash.
Well I believe Im thinking on the right path now. It was hooked up with a hx750. The 1000 was out because I had to RMA it, and they sent me a brand new one back, that I never got to putting back in. I put the 1000 in around page 3 of this thread. Unless theyre both messed up I dont think its that.

the memory is rated at 1600, I'm just trying to run it slower till I get this thing stable, but yea it is time for an upgrade.
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x 4.5@1.38 Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX660ti Corsair XMS3 16GB PC1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung EVO SSD LG BD-RW 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung T240 
PowerCase
Corsair HX1000 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x 4.5@1.38 Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX660ti Corsair XMS3 16GB PC1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung EVO SSD LG BD-RW 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung T240 
PowerCase
Corsair HX1000 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 98
Thread Starter 
I ran memtest the other night for 8hrs no errors. But lets say if it was somehow the memory, what stress tests would test mainly the CPU overclock and not so much strain on the memory? Then If it passes that and I run p95 blend (which I think it says it uses alot of memory) and get errors, then I would know, right?
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x 4.5@1.38 Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX660ti Corsair XMS3 16GB PC1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung EVO SSD LG BD-RW 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung T240 
PowerCase
Corsair HX1000 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x 4.5@1.38 Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX660ti Corsair XMS3 16GB PC1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung EVO SSD LG BD-RW 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung T240 
PowerCase
Corsair HX1000 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by waparson View Post
I ran memtest the other night for 8hrs no errors. But lets say if it was somehow the memory, what stress tests would test mainly the CPU overclock and not so much strain on the memory? Then If it passes that and I run p95 blend (which I think it says it uses alot of memory) and get errors, then I would know, right?
prime95 small ftts
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 98
I actually had a habit of dropping CPU PLL and IOH PLL since the beginning of Bloomfield chips. Peter (Shamino) told me that tweaking those voltages to lower than stock can help create additional overclocking headroom and more BCLK flexibility. With the 32nm chips dropping the CPU PLL definitely has an effect. I am actually finding a "strange" trend so far, in that higher the clock lower the CPU PLL needs to be. For example, I am stable with i7 970 (6C/12T Gulftown as well) at 4.2GHz using approx. 1.28V core voltage at load and CPU PLL at 1.5V. At 4.4GHz stable I had to increase core to 1.38V but drop the CPU PLL to 1.425V. At 4.6GHz stable I am using approx. 1.47V on the core with CPU PLL at 1.35V.

See the trend?
Etch-a-Sketch
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 2x MSI R5850 OC 1.350V/1060/1260 in CrossFireX 64GB Corsair Dominator 1866MHz, 9-10-9-27-180-1T 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x Corsair Force 120GB GT SSD in RAID-0, 2x WD ... EK Supreme HF (EN), HW Labs BI GTX480, HW Labs ... Samsung S27A850 Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair Professional Series Gold CMPSU-1200AX Antec 1200 Gamer Case, Custom Full-window Side ... Logitech G9 Laser Mouse Auzentech X-Fi Forte 
Other
Bigfoot Networks Killer Xeno Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Etch-a-Sketch
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 2x MSI R5850 OC 1.350V/1060/1260 in CrossFireX 64GB Corsair Dominator 1866MHz, 9-10-9-27-180-1T 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x Corsair Force 120GB GT SSD in RAID-0, 2x WD ... EK Supreme HF (EN), HW Labs BI GTX480, HW Labs ... Samsung S27A850 Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair Professional Series Gold CMPSU-1200AX Antec 1200 Gamer Case, Custom Full-window Side ... Logitech G9 Laser Mouse Auzentech X-Fi Forte 
Other
Bigfoot Networks Killer Xeno Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
I actually had a habit of dropping CPU PLL and IOH PLL since the beginning of Bloomfield chips. Peter (Shamino) told me that tweaking those voltages to lower than stock can help create additional overclocking headroom and more BCLK flexibility. With the 32nm chips dropping the CPU PLL definitely has an effect. I am actually finding a "strange" trend so far, in that higher the clock lower the CPU PLL needs to be. For example, I am stable with i7 970 (6C/12T Gulftown as well) at 4.2GHz using approx. 1.28V core voltage at load and CPU PLL at 1.5V. At 4.4GHz stable I had to increase core to 1.38V but drop the CPU PLL to 1.425V. At 4.6GHz stable I am using approx. 1.47V on the core with CPU PLL at 1.35V.

See the trend?
wow that's awesome thanks for posting. I started lowering pll and it helped me too.
Easy V3
(17 items)
 
12 Pack
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820k Asus Rampage IV BE evga 1080ti FE w/ hybrid kit 16 GB G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120gb Samsung 840 EVO 1TB Samsung Blu-ray Corsair H110 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 Asus PG278Q Ducky Shine 3 - blue led - cherry mx browns Seasonic Platinum-1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Dimastech Easy V3 Mionix NAOS 8200 Mionix Ensis 320 titanium HD  
Other
audio technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
Easy V3
(17 items)
 
12 Pack
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820k Asus Rampage IV BE evga 1080ti FE w/ hybrid kit 16 GB G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120gb Samsung 840 EVO 1TB Samsung Blu-ray Corsair H110 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 Asus PG278Q Ducky Shine 3 - blue led - cherry mx browns Seasonic Platinum-1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Dimastech Easy V3 Mionix NAOS 8200 Mionix Ensis 320 titanium HD  
Other
audio technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Little help with 980x