Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [redmondpie.com] Windows 7 Service Pack 1 RTM Build Leaks in the Wild
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[redmondpie.com] Windows 7 Service Pack 1 RTM Build Leaks in the Wild - Page 4

post #31 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht;12019624 
So excited for Remote FX. I'll be testing it ASAP.
Just FYI, RemoteFX requires Server 2008 R2 SP1. RemoteFX only works on 7, if it is a guest OS on Hyper-V (i.e. Server 2008 R2 SP1).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/rds-remotefx.aspx
post #32 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
"Much more Faster"? Um, No.
It's just a collection of minor patches (most of which have been released already via windows update) and an updated RDP..

I wouldn't say the changes are even noticeable.
You would be lucky to even see a difference via benchmarks.
I posted this yesterday in another thread on SP1 but here is what I noticed in terms of performance...

Significantly faster boot for me with a Vertex 2 SSD. Just under 12 seconds on the stopwatch (timed several times to ensure consistency). Just over 40 seconds (approx. 41 seconds) until I am fully on the desktop with all apps loaded and ready to run (that is with me logging in manually with a password and 18-20 start-up apps). I noticed this change on every Windows 7 machine that I have with an SSD. These are not new installs either, rather old, heavily used installs.

I also noticed that the systems overall are significantly snappier. Everything feels noticeably quicker.
Etch-a-Sketch
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 2x MSI R5850 OC 1.350V/1060/1260 in CrossFireX 64GB Corsair Dominator 1866MHz, 9-10-9-27-180-1T 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x Corsair Force 120GB GT SSD in RAID-0, 2x WD ... EK Supreme HF (EN), HW Labs BI GTX480, HW Labs ... Samsung S27A850 Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair Professional Series Gold CMPSU-1200AX Antec 1200 Gamer Case, Custom Full-window Side ... Logitech G9 Laser Mouse Auzentech X-Fi Forte 
Other
Bigfoot Networks Killer Xeno Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Etch-a-Sketch
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 2x MSI R5850 OC 1.350V/1060/1260 in CrossFireX 64GB Corsair Dominator 1866MHz, 9-10-9-27-180-1T 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x Corsair Force 120GB GT SSD in RAID-0, 2x WD ... EK Supreme HF (EN), HW Labs BI GTX480, HW Labs ... Samsung S27A850 Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair Professional Series Gold CMPSU-1200AX Antec 1200 Gamer Case, Custom Full-window Side ... Logitech G9 Laser Mouse Auzentech X-Fi Forte 
Other
Bigfoot Networks Killer Xeno Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post
Just FYI, RemoteFX requires Server 2008 R2 SP1. RemoteFX only works on 7, if it is a guest OS on Hyper-V (i.e. Server 2008 R2 SP1).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...-remotefx.aspx
Yup, I installed SP1 on my Win 7 ultimate earlier only to find that it doesn't add the RemoteFX. The SP installed fine and everything is running great so far though. I probably wouldn't have installed it if I had known about the requirements for RemoteFX. It was really the only reason I wanted to install it to begin with.
post #34 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat79 View Post
Yup, I installed SP1 on my Win 7 ultimate earlier only to find that it doesn't add the RemoteFX. The SP installed fine and everything is running great so far though. I probably wouldn't have installed it if I had known about the requirements for RemoteFX. It was really the only reason I wanted to install it to begin with.
There are still some bug fixes for 7 like Bluetooth/Wifi. It is just more exciting for Server 2008 R2 users. RemoteFX lets MS compete better in the virtual machine market.
post #35 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
I posted this yesterday in another thread on SP1 but here is what I noticed in terms of performance...

Significantly faster boot for me with a Vertex 2 SSD. Just under 12 seconds on the stopwatch (timed several times to ensure consistency). Just over 40 seconds (approx. 41 seconds) until I am fully on the desktop with all apps loaded and ready to run (that is with me logging in manually with a password and 18-20 start-up apps). I noticed this change on every Windows 7 machine that I have with an SSD. These are not new installs either, rather old, heavily used installs.

I also noticed that the systems overall are significantly snappier. Everything feels noticeably quicker.
Knowing the time it takes to boot-up post-install, is essentially worthless without knowing the time it took pre-install.
Your 'feeling it being quicker' doesn't make it so, it's commonly referred to as the placebo effect.

From MS themselves in: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate Notable Changes.doc
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en
Quote:
The impact of SP1 on the Windows 7 client operating system is considered to be minimal. Included changes are expected to address minor usability issues in specific scenarios, as outlined in this document.
Microsoft recommends that organizations do not need to wait for SP1 to begin receiving the value of Windows 7 today as we don’t anticipate the SP1 for Windows 7 to be substantial.
If they had made changes that significantly affected start-up and/or desktop performance, you can bet they would have advertised it somewhere..

I myself have installed SP1 on three separate PCs (both Beta & RCs) and haven't noticed anything being "snappier" or much improved start-up time.
Edited by Trigunflame - 1/15/11 at 11:44am
i7 930
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 [4.0@1.23v] [4.2@1.32v] ASUS P6T-Deluxe [v1] EVGA GTX 480 SC+ [850/2000@1.100v] OCZ Gold DDR3 [3x2GB] [1600@8-8-8-24-1N] 
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 2e (120GB) SSD 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 930
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 [4.0@1.23v] [4.2@1.32v] ASUS P6T-Deluxe [v1] EVGA GTX 480 SC+ [850/2000@1.100v] OCZ Gold DDR3 [3x2GB] [1600@8-8-8-24-1N] 
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 2e (120GB) SSD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat79 View Post
Yup, I installed SP1 on my Win 7 ultimate earlier only to find that it doesn't add the RemoteFX. The SP installed fine and everything is running great so far though. I probably wouldn't have installed it if I had known about the requirements for RemoteFX. It was really the only reason I wanted to install it to begin with.
Damn microsoft .. got me all excited for nothing.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.5 GA-P67A-UD3-B3 EVGA 570 8GB Gskill 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePower
1.5TB CORSAIR 850TX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.5 GA-P67A-UD3-B3 EVGA 570 8GB Gskill 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePower
1.5TB CORSAIR 850TX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 103
guess i'll just be patient on sp1... only really wanted remotefx :/
meh, it'll go on my server when i set it up when i get home... whenever that is...
might take a little bit
zomgFX
(8 items)
 
CR-48
(14 items)
 
needs moar win
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N455 1.66GHZ Tripod Motherboard MARIO Intel GMA 3150 2 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB SanDisk SSD 32GB Centon SDHC  Lubuntu 12.1" LCD 
CaseMouse
matte. Canon X Mark I 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
E8400 C0 P5N-E SLI EVGA 8800GT EVGA 8800GT 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
4gigs ddr2800 - G.skill Seagate 2tb 5700RPM Crucial M4 64GB Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windoz 7 ulti Asus V222H 21.5 1920x1080 Corsair HX520 Smilodon 
Mouse
Roccat Kone (poop) 
  hide details  
Reply
zomgFX
(8 items)
 
CR-48
(14 items)
 
needs moar win
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N455 1.66GHZ Tripod Motherboard MARIO Intel GMA 3150 2 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB SanDisk SSD 32GB Centon SDHC  Lubuntu 12.1" LCD 
CaseMouse
matte. Canon X Mark I 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
E8400 C0 P5N-E SLI EVGA 8800GT EVGA 8800GT 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
4gigs ddr2800 - G.skill Seagate 2tb 5700RPM Crucial M4 64GB Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windoz 7 ulti Asus V222H 21.5 1920x1080 Corsair HX520 Smilodon 
Mouse
Roccat Kone (poop) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post
Just FYI, RemoteFX requires Server 2008 R2 SP1. RemoteFX only works on 7, if it is a guest OS on Hyper-V (i.e. Server 2008 R2 SP1).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...-remotefx.aspx
Could redo my Windows install with a tweaked version of 2008 R2. Shouldn't lose much (if any) performance I'd imagine. Then set it up for my laptops. It sure would suck to try and reinstall Windows on my machine again... (Took me five hours last time. This OCZ Revodrive made it nearly impossible.)
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
Knowing the time it takes to boot-up post-install, is essentially worthless without knowing the time it took pre-install.
Your 'feeling it being quicker' doesn't make it so, it's commonly referred to as the placebo effect.

From MS themselves in: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate Notable Changes.doc
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en


If they had made changes that significantly affected start-up and/or desktop performance, you can bet they would have advertised it somewhere..

I myself have installed SP1 on three separate PCs (both Beta & RCs) and haven't noticed anything being "snappier" or much improved start-up time.


Yes I do have numbers from before. Boot-up took approximately 18 seconds on my primary rig in the signature. I am not attributing this solemnly to SP1, but I shared what I found and the improvement was immediately after updating to SP1. There is no placebo effect. It could simply be that the compatibility with some drivers or something improved at start-up, or some system files that had issues got cleaned/cleared up post SP1 install. The systems are noticeably snappier and 3/4 have significantly improved boot times. Four systems in total, all updated. Two are mine, two are friends.


Edited by dejanh - 1/15/11 at 1:24pm
Etch-a-Sketch
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 2x MSI R5850 OC 1.350V/1060/1260 in CrossFireX 64GB Corsair Dominator 1866MHz, 9-10-9-27-180-1T 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x Corsair Force 120GB GT SSD in RAID-0, 2x WD ... EK Supreme HF (EN), HW Labs BI GTX480, HW Labs ... Samsung S27A850 Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair Professional Series Gold CMPSU-1200AX Antec 1200 Gamer Case, Custom Full-window Side ... Logitech G9 Laser Mouse Auzentech X-Fi Forte 
Other
Bigfoot Networks Killer Xeno Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Etch-a-Sketch
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 2x MSI R5850 OC 1.350V/1060/1260 in CrossFireX 64GB Corsair Dominator 1866MHz, 9-10-9-27-180-1T 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x Corsair Force 120GB GT SSD in RAID-0, 2x WD ... EK Supreme HF (EN), HW Labs BI GTX480, HW Labs ... Samsung S27A850 Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair Professional Series Gold CMPSU-1200AX Antec 1200 Gamer Case, Custom Full-window Side ... Logitech G9 Laser Mouse Auzentech X-Fi Forte 
Other
Bigfoot Networks Killer Xeno Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanh View Post


Yes I do have numbers from before. Boot-up took approximately 18 seconds on my primary rig in the signature. I am not attributing this solemnly to SP1, but I shared what I found and the improvement was immediately after updating to SP1. There is no placebo effect. It could simply be that the compatibility with some drivers or something improved at start-up, or some system files that had issues got cleaned/cleared up post SP1 install. The systems are noticeably snappier and 3/4 have significantly improved boot times. Four systems in total, all updated. Two are mine, two are friends.

I'm on an SSD with the Service Pack installed and I'm noticing the same snappier feeling. It's funny when people that don't even have it installed try to tell you what you are and aren't experiencing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [redmondpie.com] Windows 7 Service Pack 1 RTM Build Leaks in the Wild