Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › warranty and waterblocks(580's)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

warranty and waterblocks(580's) - Page 5

post #41 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
I will have to check at home about asus, but I think asus will void if you remove the cooling block.

You have to replace the tim anyway when you remove the original cooling block. You can't leave it on and put a new water block on it.
Yeah thanks I thought so, just thought I should ask. More Rep!

So all 580's will overclock the same? I really love Asus and there Voltage tweak, Does EVGA have something similar? I have never owned a EVGA card, Like do they both use the same max voltage? or would I have to flash the Bios?

Also is it worth paying a extra $30 for the SC version?

Many questions!

Thanks, Sir Overkill.
RIGIE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
990X 4.5GHz 24/7 GA-X58A-UD9 4X EVGA SC 580 in SLI Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD/WD 27" 32" Logitech MX 5500 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W OC Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
RIGIE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
990X 4.5GHz 24/7 GA-X58A-UD9 4X EVGA SC 580 in SLI Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD/WD 27" 32" Logitech MX 5500 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W OC Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 52
SC edition is pick of the bunch cards, so you might have a higher OC option with them.

And not all cards are the same.

I have 4 from asus. The first 3 had 1.0v as VID, the last one had 1.012v vid. But they are all clocked at 782 base clock. So far I got them to 950 core per card at 1.175v (needed PCIE frequency of 120 to achieve that, which is the max I could get).

I never tested the asus software, and I know I should
And I never had evga, so can't tell you. They have the evga precision utility, which is similar to msi afterburner and sorts.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
SC edition is pick of the bunch cards, so you might have a higher OC option with them.

And not all cards are the same.

I have 4 from asus. The first 3 had 1.0v as VID, the last one had 1.012v vid. But they are all clocked at 782 base clock. So far I got them to 950 core per card at 1.175v (needed PCIE frequency of 120 to achieve that, which is the max I could get).

I never tested the asus software, and I know I should
And I never had evga, so can't tell you. They have the evga precision utility, which is similar to msi afterburner and sorts.
What do you use to overclock your cards then?
Thanks as well I have been told a million times on these forums that all cards are the same.(reference)
so why did you choose Asus if i may ask?

Thanks, Sir Overkill.
RIGIE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
990X 4.5GHz 24/7 GA-X58A-UD9 4X EVGA SC 580 in SLI Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD/WD 27" 32" Logitech MX 5500 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W OC Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
RIGIE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
990X 4.5GHz 24/7 GA-X58A-UD9 4X EVGA SC 580 in SLI Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD/WD 27" 32" Logitech MX 5500 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W OC Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Overkill View Post
What do you use to overclock your cards then?
Thanks as well I have been told a million times on these forums that all cards are the same.(reference)
so why did you choose Asus if i may ask?

Thanks, Sir Overkill.
I use MSI Afterburner. Its a great utility.

I got asus because I got a good deal on 4 of them
We don't have EVGA here at all (nothing. No motherboards or cards). If we had, I would order 4 of the full water cooled version.

Also, reference cards are the same. Same PCB and same components as speced by nvidia.
But not each chip.
Each chip has its own VID.
Its the same with after-market pcb cards. You can get 2 which are exactly alike, except one has 0.01v more than the other, VID wise.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 52
Although all the cards are the same they come with different warranties, some companies are very good about RMAs and letting the user mod certain things on the card while others like Galaxy will deny RMA if you change the thermal paste etc.

I know its not automotive, i'm just highlighting something that I think could do with a lot of change in the industry.
Sandy Bridge-E
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930K C2 4.8GHz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme NVidia GTX480 SLI NVidia GTX480 SLI 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws-X 32GB Crucial M4 128 OCZ Vertex 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Green Seagate Barracuda Green Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 SP1 Professional x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2711 Dell U2211H Topre Realforce 86UB Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster HAF-X Steelseries Xai Razer Goliathus ASUS Xonar STX 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2.3Ghz GT 650m 8GB 256GB Samsung SSD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Bridge-E
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930K C2 4.8GHz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme NVidia GTX480 SLI NVidia GTX480 SLI 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws-X 32GB Crucial M4 128 OCZ Vertex 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Green Seagate Barracuda Green Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 SP1 Professional x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2711 Dell U2211H Topre Realforce 86UB Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster HAF-X Steelseries Xai Razer Goliathus ASUS Xonar STX 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2.3Ghz GT 650m 8GB 256GB Samsung SSD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
Galaxy will deny RMA if you change the thermal paste etc.

I know its not automotive, i'm just highlighting something that I think could do with a lot of change in the industry.
Not true anymore Galaxy allows for the removal of the heatsink. Although just to be safe all manufactures use Shin-Etsu paste so just send it back with that
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
I know its not automotive, i'm just highlighting something that I think could do with a lot of change in the industry.
Its pretty easy.

If you are company X, and make a great card, people buy it, mod it, replace the cooler, push it to the limits, and degrad its chips to death, and than RMA it back because after 4 hours of brutal power, the chip starts to artifact and die, would you agree to replace it?

I'm sure that deep down, the answer is no.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Its pretty easy.

If you are company X, and make a great card, people buy it, mod it, replace the cooler, push it to the limits, and degrad its chips to death, and than RMA it back because after 4 hours of brutal power, the chip starts to artifact and die, would you agree to replace it?

I'm sure that deep down, the answer is no.
The problem is people, especially on this site, literally buy cards because of their RMA policy so you are losing business if you are not more lenient. Galaxy used to be ridiculous with their RMAs and now they practically copied EVGA.
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconroy135 View Post
The problem is people, especially on this site, literally buy cards because of their RMA policy so you are losing business if you are not more lenient. Galaxy used to be ridiculous with their RMAs and now they practically copied EVGA.
Well that is something else. That is how you attract customers.

But the "OCing watercooling modding people" aren't a big market, so most companies won't feel anything in selling if they will or will not allow you to mod their cards.

In the end, most people will buy a card, maybe OC it a bit at stock cooler, and swap in a year or two.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
I use MSI Afterburner. Its a great utility.

I got asus because I got a good deal on 4 of them
We don't have EVGA here at all (nothing. No motherboards or cards). If we had, I would order 4 of the full water cooled version.

Also, reference cards are the same. Same PCB and same components as speced by nvidia.
But not each chip.
Each chip has its own VID.
Its the same with after-market pcb cards. You can get 2 which are exactly alike, except one has 0.01v more than the other, VID wise.
yeah but I was told they would Overclock exactly the same, I understand the whole vid thing but as I said and as you just said they don't all overclcock the same!

I did plan on getting the hydro copper 2's but they are very expensive they were $950 but since I have found them cheaper. But I really wanted to see a review on them first after the 480 was found to only cool the GPU while the memory and VRM's would get very hot.

Yeah well I live in Australia and the cheapest I can get the 580 Hydro copper 2's is $888 but I can get the MSi 580 for $589 Asus for $635, same as EVGA or the SC EVGA for $660. EK blocks are $130 here aswell.

Im really not sure what combo to get, any ideas which one I should get and why?

what about this galaxy brand? are they any good? You think they would Overclock as good as say the SC EVGA? I don't for some reason and they come in at $588 at the cheapest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconroy135 View Post
Not true anymore Galaxy allows for the removal of the heatsink. Although just to be safe all manufactures use Shin-Etsu paste so just send it back with that
Is this true? they all use Shin-etsu? hmm makes me think

Thanks, Sir Overkill.
Edited by Sir Overkill - 1/19/11 at 8:24am
RIGIE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
990X 4.5GHz 24/7 GA-X58A-UD9 4X EVGA SC 580 in SLI Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD/WD 27" 32" Logitech MX 5500 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W OC Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
RIGIE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
990X 4.5GHz 24/7 GA-X58A-UD9 4X EVGA SC 580 in SLI Dominator GT (3x2Gb)2000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ 120GB SSD/WD 27" 32" Logitech MX 5500 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quattro 1200W OC Lian-Li PC-P80 Logitech None 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › warranty and waterblocks(580's)