Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Coding and Programming › Running Linux-style terminal in Windows?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Running Linux-style terminal in Windows? - Page 3

post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus View Post
So basically you're recommending a full-blown cygwin install over a ~300K standalone executable, and enable Telnet? And the GUI is only ugly for a few seconds, until you actually connect. Then it's a good old shell again. How about when I have to ssh into a server from a station I don't normally work at? You expect me to go out and install/configure cygWin so I can ssh? I'd be better off walking into the server room and sitting down at a hard-wired terminal. I know you can set it up on USB, but what if I forget that at the office? I can keep putty on the network/redownload it in about 5 seconds. Don't see that with cygWin.

cygWin is great, but if you are promoting it over putty for remote connections, then I'm not sure what you're on. If anything deserves the title of "best ssh client", it's SecureCRT, but you have to pay. Now, I can understand if you are living in a cygwin environment 99% of the time, but otherwise it's kind of pointless to say that cygwin is better than putty for remote connections.

Let it also be known that I'm a huge command line freak. My house server is commandline, and the linux server I set up at school is command line.
Thank you
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtascox View Post
What if you don't have time to write batch files because you have one million other things to do? I'm glad that you have enough free time in your job to do that.

I don't understand why you hate putty so much, it makes things quick for people who have more important things to do than write batch files for connections.
I'm glad you know my work schedule. Specifying hosts in a batch file doesn't take any longer than opening putty and saving it. Then having to select it when you need it. I mean dang I'm only ssh'ng into 10 different boxes. Not like I need a huge list of hosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus View Post
So basically you're recommending a full-blown cygwin install over a ~300K standalone executable, and enable Telnet? And the GUI is only ugly for a few seconds, until you actually connect. Then it's a good old shell again. How about when I have to ssh into a server from a station I don't normally work at? You expect me to go out and install/configure cygWin so I can ssh? I'd be better off walking into the server room and sitting down at a hard-wired terminal. I know you can set it up on USB, but what if I forget that at the office? I can keep putty on the network/redownload it in about 5 seconds. Don't see that with cygWin.

cygWin is great, but if you are promoting it over putty for remote connections, then I'm not sure what you're on. If anything deserves the title of "best ssh client", it's SecureCRT, but you have to pay. Now, I can understand if you are living in a cygwin environment 99% of the time, but otherwise it's kind of pointless to say that cygwin is better than putty for remote connections.

Let it also be known that I'm a huge command line freak. My house server is commandline, and the linux server I set up at school is command line.
I'm recommending cygWin because the guy said he wanted bash functionality on windows. He also said:
Quote:
They basically have us using PuTTY and running the linux shell off of our school's server.
That's when I said putty sucks. Meaning why would you putty into a linux shell and then run commands when you can just run the commands in windows.
I'm just saying I use cygwin because I do more than just ssh. If that's all you need then that's cool.

Man you guys get worked up about nothing.
Edited by dham - 1/18/11 at 1:19pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 4.01ghz at 1.27v MSI P55 GD-80 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB + EVGA 9800GT Physx G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128gb Real SSD, WD Black 500gb, 750gb LG DVD combo Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Arch Linux x64 22" Acer 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Corsair 600t 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 4.01ghz at 1.27v MSI P55 GD-80 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB + EVGA 9800GT Physx G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128gb Real SSD, WD Black 500gb, 750gb LG DVD combo Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Arch Linux x64 22" Acer 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Corsair 600t 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham View Post
I'm glad you know my work schedule. Specifying hosts in a batch file doesn't take any longer than opening putty and saving it. Then having to select it when you need it. I mean dang I'm only ssh'ng into 10 different boxes. Not like I need a huge list of hosts.



I'm recommending cygWin because the guy said he wanted bash functionality on windows. He also said:


That's when I said putty sucks. Meaning why would you putty into a linux shell and then run commands when you can just run the commands in windows.
I'm just saying I use cygwin because I do more than just ssh. If that's all you need then that's cool.

Man you guys get worked up about nothing.
It all stemmed from your ungrounded comment that putty sucks, which by your justification above, is completely out of context.

EDIT: I should also note, PuTTY is great for serial connections. I've had to use it to reprogram AV units at my previous job.
post #24 of 30
Thread Starter 
Oh how wonderfully off-topic this has gotten

I didn't want to create another thread just for this. Does anyone have a step-by-step for getting Nvidia drivers installed in Ubuntu in VirtualBox?

I followed the steps listed here, but when I go to System>Administration, I only see "Additional Drivers" and that location doesn't bring anything up.

Ideas?

EDIT: I should say this. I notice the "NVIDIA X Server Settings" under Administration. When I go to run it, it errors saying that I need to modify my X config with the "nvidia-xconfig" command with root. So I run "sudo nvidia-xconfig", it says it wrote a new file, but when I restart, it never goes back into the regular GUI environment, but rather the command-line style interface. I didn't know where to go from there, so I ended up doing a reinstall, twice, trying it.
Edited by EfemaN - 1/18/11 at 2:46pm
post #25 of 30
If you want a real Linux experience, your best bet is to dual-boot or install a VM. Cygwin works but it's kinda nonstandard.
SG06
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570S 65W ASRock Z77E-ITX VisionTek AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB Reference G.SKILL Sniper DDR3-2400 (@ 1866 9-10-10-28) 2x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial m4 256GB Toshiba P300 3TB Prolimatech Samuel 17 Noctua NF-F12 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro x64 HP Omen 32" HP Pavilion 27xi Das Model S Professional Silent 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SST-ST45SF Silverstone SG06 Microsoft Intellimouse Realtek ALC898 
  hide details  
Reply
SG06
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570S 65W ASRock Z77E-ITX VisionTek AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB Reference G.SKILL Sniper DDR3-2400 (@ 1866 9-10-10-28) 2x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial m4 256GB Toshiba P300 3TB Prolimatech Samuel 17 Noctua NF-F12 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro x64 HP Omen 32" HP Pavilion 27xi Das Model S Professional Silent 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SST-ST45SF Silverstone SG06 Microsoft Intellimouse Realtek ALC898 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz26 View Post
If you want a real Linux experience, your best bet is to dual-boot or install a VM. Cygwin works but it's kinda nonstandard.
I think you missed the post I made about biting the bullet and installing Ubuntu with VirtualBox.
post #27 of 30
You will not be able to run nvidia drivers in VBox as far as I know it does not support hardware graphics acceleration. Maybe there is a way but I am unsure of it. Which is also probably why it is erroring out to a command prompt run level.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 DG33TL XFX 6950 2GB 4gigs Corsair XMS2 DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.5TB seagate 2X640GB Samsung DVDRW Windows Vista & Debian Linux Samsung 19" + Acer 24" Wide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft SideWinder X6 Antec 750 TruePower Raidmax Smilodon COOLER MASTER Sentinel 
Mouse Pad
RocketFish 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 DG33TL XFX 6950 2GB 4gigs Corsair XMS2 DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.5TB seagate 2X640GB Samsung DVDRW Windows Vista & Debian Linux Samsung 19" + Acer 24" Wide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft SideWinder X6 Antec 750 TruePower Raidmax Smilodon COOLER MASTER Sentinel 
Mouse Pad
RocketFish 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpipps View Post
You will not be able to run nvidia drivers in VBox as far as I know it does not support hardware graphics acceleration. Maybe there is a way but I am unsure of it. Which is also probably why it is erroring out to a command prompt run level.
Ah, that's right, I see it now. I did the Guest Additions, resolution and whatnot are much better now.
post #29 of 30
PuTTYcyg is great to use with Cygwin. People have recommended MinGW as an alternative to Cygwin but I've never used MinGW before so can't really comment on it.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 ASUS P6X58D Premium EVGA GTX 670 FTW Sig2 Corsair 3x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 2TB Samsung BD Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung PX2370 
PowerCase
Corsair AX750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 ASUS P6X58D Premium EVGA GTX 670 FTW Sig2 Corsair 3x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 2TB Samsung BD Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung PX2370 
PowerCase
Corsair AX750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets1219 View Post
PuTTYcyg is great to use with Cygwin. People have recommended MinGW as an alternative to Cygwin but I've never used MinGW before so can't really comment on it.
MinGW is fairly straightforward. I've used it a few years back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Coding and Programming
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Coding and Programming › Running Linux-style terminal in Windows?