Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › FPS and sound stuttering + nvlddmkm BSOD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FPS and sound stuttering + nvlddmkm BSOD

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Sorry for the weird title, i don`t really know what the problem is..

First, the stuff that`s happening:

- while playing any game, there`s a lot of stuttering in the fps. And every second or 2, the screen freezes for a like half a second, and the sound crackles and stutters.
So it`s like, fps stutter -> freeze for half a second with audio crackle -> fps stutter -> etc. ( i hope that makes sense! )

- i`m pretty sure that audio crackle happens when the cpu load is high, because it`s not limited to games. If i`m watching a video or listening to music, and do something like open a folder or another application, the audio also stutters for a second. It even happens in the windows welcome screen!

Also, i monitored the cpu usage while playing. it`s around 50% during the game, and and there are spikes to 100% at each of the audio stutters.

- sometimes, the games crashes to desktop with the "display driver has stopped responding and has recover" error.

- Also sometimes when i boot up the PC, the screen stays black before the welcome screen, and then i get the nvlddmkm BSOD.

This all started suddenly, and i have no idea what caused it.
The important thing is, that problem started 3 months ago, it lasted for around 4 days, and then went away, and i have no idea what fixed it. And it came back yesterday.


Here`s the stuff i tried so far:
-reinstall windows.
-different GPU, and sound drivers.
-disable Lan card.
-disable sound card. (of course when i do this i don`t hear the sound stuttering, but i still get the stutter with cpu spikes thing.)
-All the temps are perfectly fine.

I`ve been searching for 2 days and can`t find anything, i really hope you guys can help.

My specs: Q6600@2.4, XFX 9800GTX+ 512MB, 2x2GB DDRII, Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @3.4Ghz ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Gainward GTX 680 Phantom 4GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 330 SSD 180GB WD Black 1TB, WD Green 2TB, WD Green 640GB ASUS 24x DVD Burner Corsair H100, 4x NZXT FX-120 Fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 Samsung S27A750D Logitech G110 CM Silent Pro M2 850w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM Cosmos II CM Sentinel Advance II Roccat Taito 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @3.4Ghz ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Gainward GTX 680 Phantom 4GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 330 SSD 180GB WD Black 1TB, WD Green 2TB, WD Green 640GB ASUS 24x DVD Burner Corsair H100, 4x NZXT FX-120 Fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 Samsung S27A750D Logitech G110 CM Silent Pro M2 850w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM Cosmos II CM Sentinel Advance II Roccat Taito 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
is your GPU overclocked? you didn't touch the pci-e frequency?

it could be faulty pci-e slot
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955BE C3 4.0ghz ASUS CrossHair IV Formula Zotac GTX 570 940/1880/4300 G.Skill Ripjaw8gb ddr3-1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WDl Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM Win 7 Home premium 64bit Asus ML238H 1920 x 1080 Logitec G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
XFX 850W Black Edition Corsair Graphite 600T Razer Deathadder razer goliathus fragged 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955BE C3 4.0ghz ASUS CrossHair IV Formula Zotac GTX 570 940/1880/4300 G.Skill Ripjaw8gb ddr3-1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WDl Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM Win 7 Home premium 64bit Asus ML238H 1920 x 1080 Logitec G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
XFX 850W Black Edition Corsair Graphite 600T Razer Deathadder razer goliathus fragged 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
is this an onboard sound card or is it a dedicated?
ಠ-ಠ
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe EVGA GTX580 Mushkin DDR3 Silverline Stilletto(4x4)16GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar BLACK  Kingston V200 2x LG DVD RAM w/ lightscribe Win7 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2410T 23.6" 120Hz LED LCD Razer Lycosa ENERMAX REVOLUTION 850W CM HAF 922M 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Mamba ALLSOP high precision mousepad Creative Labs X-fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
ಠ-ಠ
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe EVGA GTX580 Mushkin DDR3 Silverline Stilletto(4x4)16GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar BLACK  Kingston V200 2x LG DVD RAM w/ lightscribe Win7 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2410T 23.6" 120Hz LED LCD Razer Lycosa ENERMAX REVOLUTION 850W CM HAF 922M 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Mamba ALLSOP high precision mousepad Creative Labs X-fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekaw View Post
is your GPU overclocked? you didn't touch the pci-e frequency?

it could be faulty pci-e slot
yeah it seems most likely a motherboard issue. if the stuff you tried to troubleshoot doesnt solve it then the likely suspect is the motherboard's pcie controller on the north bridge.


try resetting the cmos if you havent already:

take out the coin cell battery on the motherboard wait ten seconds, then pop it back in and see if any of this clears up.
ಠ-ಠ
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe EVGA GTX580 Mushkin DDR3 Silverline Stilletto(4x4)16GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar BLACK  Kingston V200 2x LG DVD RAM w/ lightscribe Win7 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2410T 23.6" 120Hz LED LCD Razer Lycosa ENERMAX REVOLUTION 850W CM HAF 922M 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Mamba ALLSOP high precision mousepad Creative Labs X-fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
ಠ-ಠ
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASUS P8P67 Deluxe EVGA GTX580 Mushkin DDR3 Silverline Stilletto(4x4)16GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar BLACK  Kingston V200 2x LG DVD RAM w/ lightscribe Win7 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2410T 23.6" 120Hz LED LCD Razer Lycosa ENERMAX REVOLUTION 850W CM HAF 922M 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Mamba ALLSOP high precision mousepad Creative Labs X-fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekaw View Post
is your GPU overclocked? you didn't touch the pci-e frequency?

it could be faulty pci-e slot
No, nothing is overclocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
is this an onboard sound card or is it a dedicated?
It`s the Realtek onboard card. I read on some forums that the driver has some sort of conflict with the Nvidia drivers. But as i said, even disabling the card didn`t fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
yeah it seems most likely a motherboard issue. if the stuff you tried to troubleshoot doesnt solve it then the likely suspect is the motherboard's pcie controller on the north bridge.


try resetting the cmos if you havent already:

take out the coin cell battery on the motherboard wait ten seconds, then pop it back in and see if any of this clears up.
Alright. I`ll try that and see what happens.
btw, should i try flashing it?
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @3.4Ghz ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Gainward GTX 680 Phantom 4GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 330 SSD 180GB WD Black 1TB, WD Green 2TB, WD Green 640GB ASUS 24x DVD Burner Corsair H100, 4x NZXT FX-120 Fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 Samsung S27A750D Logitech G110 CM Silent Pro M2 850w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM Cosmos II CM Sentinel Advance II Roccat Taito 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @3.4Ghz ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Gainward GTX 680 Phantom 4GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 330 SSD 180GB WD Black 1TB, WD Green 2TB, WD Green 640GB ASUS 24x DVD Burner Corsair H100, 4x NZXT FX-120 Fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 Samsung S27A750D Logitech G110 CM Silent Pro M2 850w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM Cosmos II CM Sentinel Advance II Roccat Taito 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
If you go into task manager, is your total CPU usage (at the bottom) running noticeably higher than what the cumulative list of percentages for each running process would seem to indicate? Like, you say you get spikes to 100% in game, but is that the actual game process that's spiking to 100%, or it is kind of a 'phantom' thing in terms of nothing in the process list can really account for the total being 100%? You may have to game in windowed mode to be able to observe this ...

I probably wouldn't flash the bios on the motherboard unless you've recently changed some hardware, and the issue cropped up w/that new hardware installation. You might just look on the mobo makers website though just to see if there's a newer bios revision than what you have, and see if there's any notes on what it does. I doubt there's been one for that board for a number of years though tbh.

One simple thing you could do is to make sure that you have 'spread-spectrum' turned on in your bios for any devices it's available for. Very much a long-shot, but worth a try. Also, when you disabled LAN and Soundcard, you did so in the BIOS, right, not just the driver-level?

I would also try installing windows on a 2nd hard drive (be sure to disconnect your current HD first before you even start this process), since this device is one of the only things you haven't already ruled out as the problem. You should also try each memory stick individually ... basically, anythign you can do to remove current pieces of hardware from the equation you should try. This really sounds like a 'bad hardware component' type of issue to me.
Edited by brettjv - 1/19/11 at 10:03am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
I noticed I started to get a sound issue but it had no impact on my video performance. It was however annoying since I had the sound cranked up playing UT3. It was realtek onboard audio as well so I will assume it could possibly be some sort of driver issue. I have not updated in a while but check into that.
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
If you go into task manager, is your total CPU usage (at the bottom) running noticeably higher than what the cumulative list of percentages for each running process would seem to indicate? Like, you say you get spikes to 100% in game, but is that the actual game process that's spiking to 100%, or it is kind of a 'phantom' thing in terms of nothing in the process list can really account for the total being 100%? You may have to game in windowed mode to be able to observe this ...

I probably wouldn't flash the bios on the motherboard unless you've recently changed some hardware, and the issue cropped up w/that new hardware installation. You might just look on the mobo makers website though just to see if there's a newer bios revision than what you have, and see if there's any notes on what it does. I doubt there's been one for that board for a number of years though tbh.

One simple thing you could do is to make sure that you have 'spread-spectrum' turned on in your bios for any devices it's available for. Very much a long-shot, but worth a try. Also, when you disabled LAN and Soundcard, you did so in the BIOS, right, not just the driver-level?

I would also try installing windows on a 2nd hard drive (be sure to disconnect your current HD first before you even start this process), since this device is one of the only things you haven't already ruled out as the problem. You should also try each memory stick individually ... basically, anythign you can do to remove current pieces of hardware from the equation you should try. This really sounds like a 'bad hardware component' type of issue to me.
A slight problem. When i turned on my pc this morning ,everything was working fine!!
I'll try all this stuff you said when the problem comes back. (which i'm sure it will)

btw, i checked Gigabyte's site and the latest bios is f6. The one i have is f4.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @3.4Ghz ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Gainward GTX 680 Phantom 4GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 330 SSD 180GB WD Black 1TB, WD Green 2TB, WD Green 640GB ASUS 24x DVD Burner Corsair H100, 4x NZXT FX-120 Fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 Samsung S27A750D Logitech G110 CM Silent Pro M2 850w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM Cosmos II CM Sentinel Advance II Roccat Taito 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @3.4Ghz ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Gainward GTX 680 Phantom 4GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 330 SSD 180GB WD Black 1TB, WD Green 2TB, WD Green 640GB ASUS 24x DVD Burner Corsair H100, 4x NZXT FX-120 Fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 Samsung S27A750D Logitech G110 CM Silent Pro M2 850w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM Cosmos II CM Sentinel Advance II Roccat Taito 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › FPS and sound stuttering + nvlddmkm BSOD