Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Whats the difference?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whats the difference? - Page 4

post #31 of 43
Thread Starter 
Nothing as such, the components come as a bundle that is overclocked so its baked into the price of the bundle, which is actually £20 less than buying the components seperately.

How and why do they do this?
Because they make less markup / profit on the components but most likely have you buying your whole system from them, so all other components + monitor, peripherals etc, and because they want to make a name for themselves, they are fast becoming the top components suppliers in the UK, they have built a community around the site, keeping people coming back to their forums everyday with two competitions and constant promotions like every member who posts 50+ times a month gets free delivery, posters with 500 / 1000 posts get a flat % off orders.
post #32 of 43
To sum it up in one place.
Prebuilt computers are the same as anything that comes prebuilt. It could be fine, but if its a vital system resource, you better check it out when you get it (which is about as intensive as OC'ing is period (SB chips are so easy to OC its a joke (esp. to 4ghz).

Why pay someone to do something you can and should do on your own? I suppose I take the personal computer too personally though, anyways welcome to the world of custom computers, I assure you that you will understand one day. Do not fret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-47 View Post
comparing what you're doing to a cop trying to talk a jumper out of jumping is like the cop getting in his face screaming at him, telling him about how much of a loser he is, and that he should jump because he's a waste of life.
I disagree ur just sensitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertCover View Post
Agreed with the first part, but I read nowhere in the OP about him trying to "save money". He just wants to know which chip to get for him, specifically:
Either way, good luck OP!
Uh... infer from the OP that he is not doing a "money is no object" build, then come back to class... err I mean recess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einholt View Post
Whoa grizzly, calm down!

But the overclocking is the bit I do not want to do with new equipment, also there is no guarantee an off the shelf cpu will go to even 3.8 GHz, whereas the guys doing my overclock cherry pick a cpu then try the overclock, if it won't reach a stable 4.2 at an ok voltage they get another cpu and start again.
I hope you understand what you will be getting. Its not all about the final ghz, but rather what goes into that. Likely, they will increase voltage to around 1.4v and then oc it to 4ghz. The question is how will they accomplish it? There are huge issues with certain techniques (such as a bclk oc on a SB chip) and 1156 is greatly different from 1155. So you need to really check this thing out when you get it or you WILL HAVE A MUCH HIGHER FAILURE RATE regardless of who built it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einholt View Post
Nothing as such, the components come as a bundle that is overclocked so its baked into the price of the bundle, which is actually £20 less than buying the components seperately.
Ay the core of all business indeed. Carry on then, I must urge one more time that you BETTER TRUST these guys 100% or you WILL BE doing all of this again for yourself.

Also how is the pricing on other components? Like you said they make money off additional purchases. I really hope you don't pay $350 for a $300 monitor etc.
Edited by grizzlyblunting - 1/18/11 at 6:00pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 (4.20 ghz @ 1.312v) Asus p6T are for nerds 6gb Corsair xms3 6-6-6-18 @1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 120gb Lite-on 24x dvdr/w Win 7 64 Asus 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Legitech Illuminated Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Cooler Master 690 Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
big ol fatty 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 (4.20 ghz @ 1.312v) Asus p6T are for nerds 6gb Corsair xms3 6-6-6-18 @1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 120gb Lite-on 24x dvdr/w Win 7 64 Asus 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Legitech Illuminated Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Cooler Master 690 Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
big ol fatty 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einholt View Post
Anyway I will say again, the whole system is not pre build, only the mobo, cpu, ram and cooler, I could assemble those myself no problem and will be installing the mobo into the case, the g card, hdd and pus then installing the OS all myself, yes it is as simple as lego but still I can see why people would pay for others to do the whole thing for them.

But the overclocking is the bit I do not want to do with new equipment, also there is no guarantee an off the shelf cpu will go to even 3.8 GHz, whereas the guys doing my overclock cherry pick a cpu then try the overclock, if it won't reach a stable 4.2 at an ok voltage they get another cpu and start again.
Overclocking to 4.2ghz for the 2500k is so easy that it is near impossible for them to find one that will not reach that speed. Motherboard manufacturers provide programs to "auto-overclock" it to 4ghz, and most people would say that 4.5ghz would be the sweet spot that most 2500k's will be able to reach.

I would purchase it not because it is overclocked, but rather if their price is reasonable in comparison to building one yourself.
Edited by uKnighted - 1/18/11 at 6:12pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.4v (vdroop) Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 MSI Cyclone 768mb GTX460 @925/1850/2100 8gb (2x4) G.Skill ddr3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 60GB SSD Windows 7 x64 El cheapo 1680x1050 lcd PC Power&Cooling 500w 
Case
Cooler Master CM690 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.4v (vdroop) Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 MSI Cyclone 768mb GTX460 @925/1850/2100 8gb (2x4) G.Skill ddr3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 60GB SSD Windows 7 x64 El cheapo 1680x1050 lcd PC Power&Cooling 500w 
Case
Cooler Master CM690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by uKnighted View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he's saying that you can essentially not understand a lot about computers but still be able to assemble one together. I don't see what's wrong with this...
Reread what grizzly said, there is bolded part in there that is indeed against the TOS.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-930 D0 3.8Ghz ASUS P6T SE PowerColor HD5870 1GB 6GB Corsair Dominator XMS3 8-8-8-20 1200Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB Wester Digital Windows 7 Home 64bit Acer 23" XFX 850w Black Edtion 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-930 D0 3.8Ghz ASUS P6T SE PowerColor HD5870 1GB 6GB Corsair Dominator XMS3 8-8-8-20 1200Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB Wester Digital Windows 7 Home 64bit Acer 23" XFX 850w Black Edtion 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertCover View Post
Reread what grizzly said, there is bolded part in there that is indeed against the TOS.
Understood. Still think it wasn't worth posting over/reporting, but point made.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.4v (vdroop) Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 MSI Cyclone 768mb GTX460 @925/1850/2100 8gb (2x4) G.Skill ddr3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 60GB SSD Windows 7 x64 El cheapo 1680x1050 lcd PC Power&Cooling 500w 
Case
Cooler Master CM690 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.4v (vdroop) Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 MSI Cyclone 768mb GTX460 @925/1850/2100 8gb (2x4) G.Skill ddr3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 60GB SSD Windows 7 x64 El cheapo 1680x1050 lcd PC Power&Cooling 500w 
Case
Cooler Master CM690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by uKnighted View Post
Understood. Still think it wasn't worth posting over/reporting, but point made.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 (4.20 ghz @ 1.312v) Asus p6T are for nerds 6gb Corsair xms3 6-6-6-18 @1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 120gb Lite-on 24x dvdr/w Win 7 64 Asus 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Legitech Illuminated Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Cooler Master 690 Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
big ol fatty 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 (4.20 ghz @ 1.312v) Asus p6T are for nerds 6gb Corsair xms3 6-6-6-18 @1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 120gb Lite-on 24x dvdr/w Win 7 64 Asus 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Legitech Illuminated Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Cooler Master 690 Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
big ol fatty 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 43
If you want to get a Pre-Built system core go for it.
Personally, I like to OC my own components because it lets me learn the limits of my system first hand and I can be certain its stable when im done with it.
If the company you are buying from is reputable and has a record of good support then I see no reason not to buy from them. Ultimatley the consumer decides what to do with thier money. If you want a pre-built system core and are willing to pay a bit more then thats your power as a consumer. Anyone who thinks its not your right as a consumer to choose to "consume" something because its more expensive is forgetting what website they are on. This is OCN. We dont exactly thrive on the whole "This is cheaper" thing.
If you want to put down the money for the parts then do so and more power to you.

As for the OP, the i3 would probably be better. If ive read this flame-fest right its cheaper and for the use you are talking about the i3 will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uKnighted View Post
I would purchase it not because it is overclocked, but rather if their price is reasonable in comparison to building one yourself.
He has said that its actually a smidge cheaper to buy it from them than it is to build it himself.
So I dont see why he shouldn't as long as they have a record for good support.
Micro Mule
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
250GB Crucial MX200, 960GB Adata , 1TB WD Black Noctua NH-L12 LG 27UD68 4k Seasonic M12II 620W 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech Performance Mouse MX Topping TP-30 Mk2, 2x Polk M10, Sony MDR-7506 
  hide details  
Reply
Micro Mule
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
250GB Crucial MX200, 960GB Adata , 1TB WD Black Noctua NH-L12 LG 27UD68 4k Seasonic M12II 620W 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech Performance Mouse MX Topping TP-30 Mk2, 2x Polk M10, Sony MDR-7506 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post
If you want to get a Pre-Built system core go for it.
Personally, I like to OC my own components because it lets me learn the limits of my system first hand and I can be certain its stable when im done with it.
If the company you are buying from is reputable and has a record of good support then I see no reason not to buy from them. Ultimatley the consumer decides what tom do with thier money. If you want a pre-built system core and are willing to pay a bit more then thats your power as a consumer. Anyone who thinks its not your right as a consumer to choose to "consume" something because its more expensive is forgetting what website they are on. This is OCN. We dont exactly thrive on the whole "This is cheaper" thing.
If you want to put down the money for the parts then do so and more power to you.

As for the OP, the i3 would probably be better. If ive read this flame-fest right its cheaper and for the use you are talking about the i3 will be fine.


He has said that its actually a smidge cheaper to buy it from them than it is to build it himself.
So I dont see why he shouldn't as long as they have a record for good support.
Thanks for the good feedback
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einholt View Post
Thanks for the good feedback
Haha. I try.
OCN is actually a pretty laid back place with tons of helpful people.
Although we HAVE been getting an influx of trolls and people who need to go read This, and the ToS recently.
Micro Mule
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
250GB Crucial MX200, 960GB Adata , 1TB WD Black Noctua NH-L12 LG 27UD68 4k Seasonic M12II 620W 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech Performance Mouse MX Topping TP-30 Mk2, 2x Polk M10, Sony MDR-7506 
  hide details  
Reply
Micro Mule
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
250GB Crucial MX200, 960GB Adata , 1TB WD Black Noctua NH-L12 LG 27UD68 4k Seasonic M12II 620W 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech Performance Mouse MX Topping TP-30 Mk2, 2x Polk M10, Sony MDR-7506 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 43
I personally would never trust someone else doing my OC...I would want to do it myself because then if there was a problem I would know what to look for. If you dont know what to look for then IMO you shouldnt be OC'ing till you do...But it is your money as you have so stated...so why are you even asking here...Your gonna buy what you want anyway..
The Gibson
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-6600k Gigabyte GA=Z170X MSI 980ti G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
240GB SSD 1TB WD Black HDD 128mb cache LG Blu-Ray Burner Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3011 Dell 30 inch 1600p Logitech 920 Illuminated EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80 Plua Platinum Certified... Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I 
Mouse
Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
The Gibson
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-6600k Gigabyte GA=Z170X MSI 980ti G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
240GB SSD 1TB WD Black HDD 128mb cache LG Blu-Ray Burner Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3011 Dell 30 inch 1600p Logitech 920 Illuminated EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80 Plua Platinum Certified... Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I 
Mouse
Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Whats the difference?