Overclock.net banner

what is bulldozer??

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  ShortySmalls 
#1 ·
Need a little more info all I can find out is that it's an 8 core cpu, will I need a new amd motherboard for it? What's gona be the processing speeds?

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXwhygodwhyXx;12057578
Need a little more info all I can find out is that it's an 8 core cpu, will I need a new amd motherboard for it? What's gona be the processing speeds?
We know it will be socket AM3+ and some of the naming schemes...thats pretty much it.

#3 ·
Bulldozer is the codename for AMD's new processors that are to be released in Q2 of this year. It's supposed to have 4, 6, and 8 core models. I heard it has 32nm parts inside. It's rumored to be just as powerful or 50% faster than the current i7's. From what we've heard, it will have an AM3+ socket so you will need a brand new motherboard for it.

#4 ·
Bulldozer will be released in March/April.

It is a 6, 8, and 12 core CPU designed with 2 intercore pipelines along with 1 32nm process. It might not be fast, as AMD is going for cores, not speed. But it's too early to tell. Same with Overclocking potential.

It will go into an AM3+ Socket. It won't fit AM3, nor will there be any models available to AM3.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong on the core count.

#6 ·
Bulldozer is intel's worst nightmare....

I have heard that the first bulldozer chips will be am3 not am3+. I have no source though so take it with a grain of salt

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXwhygodwhyXx;12057578
It's an APU--in loose terms, a hybrid of a CPU and a GPU, which, in theory, enhances processing of multithreaded applications in addition to single-threaded applications. Certain aspects of normal processing are enhanced in performance with the addition of the CPU/GPU architecture on the same die. The GPU performance will be on-par with an HD6120.

AFAIK, the bulldozer CPU's will still be AM2+ be AM3+, but I'm certain that specific motherboards will be necessary. No real-world benchmarks have been released on the desktop processors, though the mobile version (aka Brazos) has been released on an HP laptop--which is available in some areas. AMD claims that bulldozer will be anywhere between 50-80% faster than either the high-end i7 or the new Sandy bridge Intel CPUs. I'll wait for actual benchmarks...

Don't know the specific processing speeds, but I think they'll be from 1.6GHz on up to who knows what--likely 3-4GHz. But GHz don't matter until you know what they can do...

#12 ·
3166769951_e95aabb655.jpg

OT new cpu architecture that is supposed to be the new sliced bread and bring performance comparable to intels new i7 chips to the amd platform

#14 ·
What I have read is that these processors arent of a conventional design, in the sense that you cant really call them dual, quad or octo core processors. They are broken down into "Bulldozer Modules", each module is roughly equivalent to a dual core. The available processors will be 1 module, 2 module and 4 module processors, roughly 2, 4, and 8 core processors.

The major difference is the way the module operates. Each module contains 2 integer cores, in which 2 ALU's and 2 AGU's are present and capable of 4 arithmetic or memory operations per clock cycle per core.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irthizanovich
View Post

So it will be much more better than my x6 1090t?

it will take a dump on it
its intel's worst nightmare

its on the AM3+ so you can buy another one of those AM3+ boards and use your 1090t as a htpc or something.

#18 ·
Does anyone know the prices(estimate)???

I was thinking of getting a new computer(for games, etc) and since I wont be getting it to like march is it worth the waiting? (I'll might be getting it in feb/beginning of march)...
and would there be a huge NOTICABLE difference, not just in benchmarks...
what I want to know is, if it is worth the waiting or will it cost like $500 and will be a 1fps increase in games(exageratoin, I know it would be more)

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercooled 999;12066710
Does anyone know the prices(estimate)???

I was thinking of getting a new computer(for games, etc) and since I wont be getting it to like march is it worth the waiting? (I'll might be getting it in feb/beginning of march)...
and would there be a huge NOTICABLE difference, not just in benchmarks...
what I want to know is, if it is worth the waiting or will it cost like $500 and will be a 1fps increase in games(exageratoin, I know it would be more)
For gaming.... It doesn't matter. An overclocked CPU is rarely a bottleneck anymore.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo;12066740
For gaming.... It doesn't matter. An overclocked CPU is rarely a bottleneck anymore.
Yeah that's what i was thinking but I wasnt sure.

#23 ·
No CPU has ever lived up to what it was SUPPOSED to be. Bulldozer is gonna be probably 10% faster then highest end Intel right now, and idle 45C on water, lol... j/k, I think it will be nice, but they gotta make the good mobo's for it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.