Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [MCV]Sony: ‘Gamers want HD console MMOs’
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[MCV]Sony: ‘Gamers want HD console MMOs’ - Page 12

post #111 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSKILLA View Post
Console gaming is holding back game devolopers from using new technology.
You cany even use DX11 on a console.
New technology is the very thing holding back PC game development.
If the latest PC video card was optimized and had a game dedicated to the power it could render, that PC game without a doubt would destroy anything a PS3/Xbox could possibly produce. Though, PC's lack this dedication, so PS3/360 games can still continue to hold up to PC graphics. Not fully, but still within range, despite the fact it is old technology. Further explanation below.
Not to mention, a large portion of PC gamers are still dedicated to XP, that doesn't support DX11. So please, until every PC gamer is off XP, don't try playing that card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia233 View Post
I literally did not finish reading that word , PC is a platform.

I don't really see what was there to argue with people who could afford these TVs which costs more than the ENTIRETY of my build with around $400 to spare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
# console table: a small table fixed to a wall or designed to stand against a wall
# a scientific instrument consisting of displays and an input device that an operator can use to monitor and control a system (especially a computer system)
# an ornamental scroll-shaped bracket (especially one used to support a wall fixture); "the bust of Napoleon stood on a console"
# comfort: give moral or emotional strength to
# cabinet: housing for electronic instruments, as radio or television
A PC is a platform, but it is also just as much of a console as the PS3/Xbox Platforms.

Also, just because someone has some spare cash to invest in an expensive electronic (being this TV), doesn't mean they have the cash to invest in multiple electronics. If you had bothered reading my other posts, investing in a PC is a selfish investment when it comes to gaming. Consoles are cheaper, efficient, provides the same (if not better) gaming experience. While PC has more potential, that potential isn't used because there isn't a bar set. You still have people out there running Pentiums with integrated intel graphics. You can't optimize for a 5800+ or even a 9600+ when you want sales.
Mine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD Barracuda 500 WD 1000 WD 1000 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM Windows 10 Acer S277HK 27" 4K Acer 23" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" 1080p Razer Black Widow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX 
Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex 
  hide details  
Reply
Mine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD Barracuda 500 WD 1000 WD 1000 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM Windows 10 Acer S277HK 27" 4K Acer 23" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" 1080p Razer Black Widow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX 
Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #112 of 197
And this headline comes out not so long after "console players don't care about graphics"...
My gaming desk
(14 items)
 
Miner
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire 290x Patriot Viper Extreme Division 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 460 WD 1TB Blue Koolance 380A EK-FC R9-290X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Pro Panel DUCKY! Antec HCP 850W 
CaseMouse
Hand built wooden desk Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A10 7850K ASUS A88X-Pro Sapphire 280x Sapphire 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot Viper Xtreme Div4 1866mhz 60GB Vertex2 WD Caviar 500AAKS XSPC Rasa 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit EVGA 1000W G2 Thermaltake Level 10 GTS 
  hide details  
Reply
My gaming desk
(14 items)
 
Miner
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire 290x Patriot Viper Extreme Division 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 460 WD 1TB Blue Koolance 380A EK-FC R9-290X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Pro Panel DUCKY! Antec HCP 850W 
CaseMouse
Hand built wooden desk Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A10 7850K ASUS A88X-Pro Sapphire 280x Sapphire 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot Viper Xtreme Div4 1866mhz 60GB Vertex2 WD Caviar 500AAKS XSPC Rasa 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit EVGA 1000W G2 Thermaltake Level 10 GTS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #113 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
Short answer: its not quite that simple.

Long answer: a traditional MMO is simply not possible on consoles both in terms of content and controls. Of course if there is a demand, some developer will make a cut down MMO just for consoles but anyone hoping for SWTOR or WoW equivalents will be sorely disappointed.
More so right on this, ^^

Only way is for them to incorporate a large area for storage and allow for updates and patches, etc. Of course that would lead to them probably offering different size storage by purchasing them separately.

No Joy on this idea..
SkunkWorkZ
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz (4.5GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ D... ASUS TUF Sabertooth 990FX r3.0 MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Gskill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 1866 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung-850-EVO-M.2 500 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Mushkin ECO 3 Lepa 240 Aqua 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Home Acer 144HZ 1ms Corsair RGB Strafe, MX Silent SeaSonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Phantek Ethroo Pro White Logitech G500 X-FI Titanium Logitech X530 5.1 
Other
Deep Cool 360RGB Lights 
  hide details  
Reply
SkunkWorkZ
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz (4.5GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ D... ASUS TUF Sabertooth 990FX r3.0 MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Gskill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 1866 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung-850-EVO-M.2 500 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Mushkin ECO 3 Lepa 240 Aqua 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Home Acer 144HZ 1ms Corsair RGB Strafe, MX Silent SeaSonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Phantek Ethroo Pro White Logitech G500 X-FI Titanium Logitech X530 5.1 
Other
Deep Cool 360RGB Lights 
  hide details  
Reply
post #114 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinxe View Post
Also, just because someone has some spare cash to invest in an expensive electronic (being this TV), doesn't mean they have the cash to invest in multiple electronics. If you had bothered reading my other posts, investing in a PC is a selfish investment when it comes to gaming. Consoles are cheaper, efficient, provides the same (if not better) gaming experience. While PC has more potential, that potential isn't used because there isn't a bar set. You still have people out there running Pentiums with integrated intel graphics. You can't optimize for a 5800+ or even a 9600+ when you want sales.
Then your first statement is just a contradiction in itself.It doesn't make sense because the cost of ONE electronic device is the SAME as the cost of MULTIPLE electronic devices.

Its funny how you can DEFINE what is a selfish investment , or an investment at all.An investment is a devotion of either time and money often resulting in gains whereas there is nothing to gain from investing into one technology as today's technology is tomorrow's trash.I quote from what you said on page 7:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinxe View Post
An expensive PC is a selfish investment, at least it is for me. I have a fairly intense setup, not the best by any means but still above par, and I invested quite a bit of cash in it. I'd never, ever, let anyone use my setup for anything unless I was watching them like a hawk. A console with basic family-room setups for a home theatre gives you a lot more for your money, and is something the whole family could use. Plus, not everyone knows how to build a computer, so they'd have to buy prebuilt from retail stores. That alone would hit almost $1000 just for something basic, nothing good for gaming.
Your investment is only as selfish as YOU are , not the PC.Its a hypocritical sentence in itself , unless you were saying that they don't know how to use a PC which would then mean that they are not the stereotypical family you mentioned.

As per your logic , you would have ment that the cheaper alternative is the better way to go , though its heresy for YOU to spend on a good PC but completely ok for them to spend the same amount of money for a bad one , plus a few hundred more for a console?

If you were to compare both systems , do it in a level headed manner and not skew the perception into your favor , i could have just as easily said that i dont have to deal with RRODs or conflict for the use of TVs to say that consoles aren't family friendly.The SOLE reason your argument holds a candle is because the console manufacturer's aren't ripping you off while the PC manufacturer is , i can just as easily make another instance to say that they do , you know?

If you were to bring TYPICALITY into the equation , i could have just as easily assumed that they bought the kinect/move bundle with 2 games for $599.99 and have geek squad set them up for another $150 pulled from the ass , buying more controllers and a multitude of other accessories you wouldn't even touch except for that ONE game.This is a fair and balanced analysis that also adds up to close to $1000 right? I'd rather people bring FACTS to support their claim than distracting variable #1.

Also , if you were to require such technology to run your game , are you sure that those people with P4s are your target audience? The majority of console developers aim for mass appeal , but does that mean that those that don't like that kind of games would buy them in the first place? The assumption that mass appeal would generate more sales are for fools with money that are most likely not going to buy them again.

The sea is only as deep and extensive as the people who sought out to be , if your vision was only limited to the surface , then it is only as deep as what they seem to be.If you were to cast your net as wide as the sea , the wealth you get would only fill you to the knee.If you were to cast your net as deep as the ocean floor , then you will find what you were truely seeking for.Fans.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1100T @>4Ghz CH Formula IV CF 5850 Winova 2x4GB @ 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Seagate 500GB Acer S243HL 24" Seasonic 850w SF-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1100T @>4Ghz CH Formula IV CF 5850 Winova 2x4GB @ 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Seagate 500GB Acer S243HL 24" Seasonic 850w SF-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #115 of 197
Theres nothing about a console that would limit its ability to have a decent MMO. Its got a hard drive, it will be able to get updated just like a PC MMO. Chat will of corse be difference but I bet you would either be able to use a mic or keyboard for chat. True it would have to be an MMO without tons of clickable things on the screen like in WOW but that doesnt mean it cant be done. The combat would just be more a focus of who was more powerful and less who could click stuff faster. There is no technical reason why consoles cant have a good MMO. WOW looks like trash and could easily run on a console so dont act like consoles are too weak.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.5 GA-P67A-UD3-B3 EVGA 570 8GB Gskill 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePower
1.5TB CORSAIR 850TX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.5 GA-P67A-UD3-B3 EVGA 570 8GB Gskill 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePower
1.5TB CORSAIR 850TX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #116 of 197
im confused. high definition console?

when did those get released?
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #117 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
im confused. high definition console?

when did those get released?
Didn't you hear? '06 is the new '11
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1100T @>4Ghz CH Formula IV CF 5850 Winova 2x4GB @ 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Seagate 500GB Acer S243HL 24" Seasonic 850w SF-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1100T @>4Ghz CH Formula IV CF 5850 Winova 2x4GB @ 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Seagate 500GB Acer S243HL 24" Seasonic 850w SF-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #118 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinxe View Post
The average person doesn't have their home theatre sound system connected to their computer. Not to mention, the average person can't afford a $200 video card along with the stacking prices of the components needed to support it. They aren't saying a PC can't do it. They are saying, they have a large request base from an average person who can't/doesn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of $$$ for a platform that is hardly supported by developers. This isn't unreasonable. While I'll never play an MMO on a console, I'm certainly glad they are looking at such. Seriously, it isn't like the PS3 can't support mice/keyboards if it needed to.
You can buy a 23in HD (1080p) monitor for around $200 USD these days and a 7.1 speaker system for your computer for around $100. Also a GTX465 or 6850 is all you need to max out WoW. I don't think price is an issue for HD gaming on a computer
post #119 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
Translation: Low res upscaled to HD with low res textures, a view distance of 2 meters, eye castratingly intense bloom and particle effects in an object pop-fest. But we'll throw in pre-rendered cutscenes so it's okay.
Yeah, because MMOs are inherently graphics intensive.

I would love an MMO made for consoles. Obviously PC'rs will say nay if they try it will fail, but that's obviously wrong and if you say that you clearly haven't thought through it enough or are too thickheaded to do so.

I'd imagine the graphics would be overall better than PC as well considering how far console games have pushed consoles vs the lightweighted-ness of PC MMOs catered to as wide a PC market as they can get.

As far as controls go I can think of plenty of different ways to solve that problem.
post #120 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman340 View Post
Yeah, because MMOs are inherently graphics intensive.

I would love an MMO made for consoles. Obviously PC'rs will say nay if they try it will fail, but that's obviously wrong and if you say that you clearly haven't thought through it enough or are too thickheaded to do so.

I'd imagine the graphics would be overall better than PC as well considering how far console games have pushed consoles vs the lightweighted-ness of PC MMOs catered to as wide a PC market as they can get.

As far as controls go I can think of plenty of different ways to solve that problem.
umm, sorry, doesnt matter how much they squeeze out of a console, it still cannot equal a PC. Let alone do HD graphics, they cant even manage HD on a regular game. How will they do it in a game that will provide dozens of weapons and armor sets with hundreds of people on screen. Sorry not enough memory.

The only reason people think that consoles can come close to PC performance and graphics is because they take the time to optimize on the consoles, and simply port them over the PC and dont care about optimizing the full performance out of the PC version.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [MCV]Sony: ‘Gamers want HD console MMOs’