Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [MCV]Sony: ‘Gamers want HD console MMOs’
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[MCV]Sony: ‘Gamers want HD console MMOs’ - Page 13

post #121 of 197
The majority of computers are prebuilt systems with integrated graphics, thats why stuff like WoW looks like crap in comparison to other games, simply because they appeal to the masses and OCN =/= the masses.

HD on a console will be easier because everyone console has the same specs across the board, where as PC has to start looking at, the higher res textures we use, the smaller our market becomes, and its a trade-off
post #122 of 197
whats next? Malware, toolbars and bloatware for consoles?

PC gaming was and is not for everyone. I remember spending more time to edit autoexec.bat and config.sys rather than to play the actual game.

Now things are easier with Windows but not easy enough nevertheless.

From the complexity of the beginning we ended up in the simplicity of the mainstream and now again to the complexity of commercialism.
The simpler and user-friendly Windows (and consoles) become, the more clueless the consumer thinks that he has the right to be.

PS: Were those consumers the same that favored Net play to split-screen competitive matches face-to-face? Were they not playing together with friends nearby?
Last rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4790K  Gigabyte Z97-D3 MSI 1080 Gaming X Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz 12 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1 TB LG BD-RE BH10LS30 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit LG W2361V ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q Razer Blackwidow X Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Element ST 65EF Aero Cool GT Advanced Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Ednet xxxpad ProGamer 
Audio
Realtek AC888 
  hide details  
Reply
Last rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4790K  Gigabyte Z97-D3 MSI 1080 Gaming X Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz 12 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1 TB LG BD-RE BH10LS30 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit LG W2361V ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q Razer Blackwidow X Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Element ST 65EF Aero Cool GT Advanced Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Ednet xxxpad ProGamer 
Audio
Realtek AC888 
  hide details  
Reply
post #123 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHOP240 View Post
You can buy a 23in HD (1080p) monitor for around $200 USD these days and a 7.1 speaker system for your computer for around $100. Also a GTX465 or 6850 is all you need to max out WoW. I don't think price is an issue for HD gaming on a computer
Um, sorry, but you only need like, a 4670 to max WoW. It's NOT an intensive game at all.

I find it interesting how many people wanna come in here and troll this thread after everything has already been said and done multiple times.

Sony's PS3 customers want this, Sony is acknowledging it. quit your QQ'ing and go find something better to do.
post #124 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Um, sorry, but you only need like, a 4670 to max WoW. It's NOT an intensive game at all.

I find it interesting how many people wanna come in here and troll this thread after everything has already been said and done multiple times.

Sony's PS3 customers want this, Sony is acknowledging it. quit your QQ'ing and go find something better to do.
wow is also a very good example of terrible coding and optimization. Also is not an HD game. Wow gets points for creative use of artwork and other items.
Edited by Vhati - 1/21/11 at 12:52pm
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #125 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
wow is also a very good example of terrible coding and optimization. Also is not an HD game.
That's true too. I think if there were to be a MMO on the PS3 they could utilize the Cell Processor enough to give these customers what they want.

Hell, Phantasy Star Online looked pretty good for it's time, and that was on the original Xbox. I'm sure something could be done for the PS3.
post #126 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinxe View Post
The average person doesn't have their home theatre sound system connected to their computer. Not to mention, the average person can't afford a $200 video card along with the stacking prices of the components needed to support it. They aren't saying a PC can't do it. They are saying, they have a large request base from an average person who can't/doesn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of $$$ for a platform that is hardly supported by developers. This isn't unreasonable. While I'll never play an MMO on a console, I'm certainly glad they are looking at such. Seriously, it isn't like the PS3 can't support mice/keyboards if it needed to.
But they can afford 1080p screens and a surround sound system?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4 ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 ASUS EAH5850 Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
x1 RevoDrive 80GB, x1 WD64 500GB, SpinPoint F3 1TB W7 Home Premium 64bit ViewSonic VX2260wm 21.5in 1080p Corsair TX 650v2 
Case
BitFenix Colossus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4 ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 ASUS EAH5850 Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
x1 RevoDrive 80GB, x1 WD64 500GB, SpinPoint F3 1TB W7 Home Premium 64bit ViewSonic VX2260wm 21.5in 1080p Corsair TX 650v2 
Case
BitFenix Colossus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #127 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh-ATI View Post
But they can afford 1080p screens and a surround sound system?
well played. well played.

It takes more than 720/1080p resolutions to make a game HD. Consoles are limited by memory which is why we always have horrid looking low res textures on everything. MMOs are usually very memory intensive games because of all the different models for weapons, armor, shields etc.

They will have to force artifical limitations on the game like not showing weapons armor in public places, small zones, Low res items and world points.

Sure they can do DC universe, but its not and HD game.

Turbine is working on a console MMO, but not much is known about it.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #128 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh-ATI View Post
But they can afford 1080p screens and a surround sound system?
Yeah, no kidding. Never mind the fact that Most people don't have surround sound systems to begin with (his argument about them not being connected to the computer).

That being said, you're not going to get a decent sound system under $500.
You're looking to spend several times that for any type of quality receivers, satellites, subs.

If you can afford that, I would think shelling out ~$200 for a video card & a few other components to run an MMO (lowest requirements of practically any modern game), wouldn't be much of a problem.
i7 930
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 [4.0@1.23v] [4.2@1.32v] ASUS P6T-Deluxe [v1] EVGA GTX 480 SC+ [850/2000@1.100v] OCZ Gold DDR3 [3x2GB] [1600@8-8-8-24-1N] 
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 2e (120GB) SSD 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 930
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 [4.0@1.23v] [4.2@1.32v] ASUS P6T-Deluxe [v1] EVGA GTX 480 SC+ [850/2000@1.100v] OCZ Gold DDR3 [3x2GB] [1600@8-8-8-24-1N] 
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 2e (120GB) SSD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #129 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by chia233 View Post
Then your first statement is just a contradiction in itself.It doesn't make sense because the cost of ONE electronic device is the SAME as the cost of MULTIPLE electronic devices.

Its funny how you can DEFINE what is a selfish investment , or an investment at all.An investment is a devotion of either time and money often resulting in gains whereas there is nothing to gain from investing into one technology as today's technology is tomorrow's trash.I quote from what you said on page 7:



Your investment is only as selfish as YOU are , not the PC.Its a hypocritical sentence in itself , unless you were saying that they don't know how to use a PC which would then mean that they are not the stereotypical family you mentioned.

As per your logic , you would have ment that the cheaper alternative is the better way to go , though its heresy for YOU to spend on a good PC but completely ok for them to spend the same amount of money for a bad one , plus a few hundred more for a console?

If you were to compare both systems , do it in a level headed manner and not skew the perception into your favor , i could have just as easily said that i dont have to deal with RRODs or conflict for the use of TVs to say that consoles aren't family friendly.The SOLE reason your argument holds a candle is because the console manufacturer's aren't ripping you off while the PC manufacturer is , i can just as easily make another instance to say that they do , you know?

If you were to bring TYPICALITY into the equation , i could have just as easily assumed that they bought the kinect/move bundle with 2 games for $599.99 and have geek squad set them up for another $150 pulled from the ass , buying more controllers and a multitude of other accessories you wouldn't even touch except for that ONE game.This is a fair and balanced analysis that also adds up to close to $1000 right? I'd rather people bring FACTS to support their claim than distracting variable #1.

Also , if you were to require such technology to run your game , are you sure that those people with P4s are your target audience? The majority of console developers aim for mass appeal , but does that mean that those that don't like that kind of games would buy them in the first place? The assumption that mass appeal would generate more sales are for fools with money that are most likely not going to buy them again.

The sea is only as deep and extensive as the people who sought out to be , if your vision was only limited to the surface , then it is only as deep as what they seem to be.If you were to cast your net as wide as the sea , the wealth you get would only fill you to the knee.If you were to cast your net as deep as the ocean floor , then you will find what you were truely seeking for.Fans.
Too long, quick skim'd
You sir completely misunderstood everything I said.
To sum it up and put in Layman's terms: Consoles are just as good as PCs because of convenience, developers, optimization, and price. It has nothing to do with hardware. The hardware can be old, and still perform to PC "standards" simply because of optimization. The day developers start producing games fully optimized to recent PC hardware, is the day a standard console loses the battle.

Threads like this... Someone makes an ignorant statement and I start arguing it, then people quote and distort what I say... It gets to the point where I have no idea what I initially came in to say. Nothing is hold back consoles from producing amazing games, even mmo's. PS3 supports k/m, so the problem stands with ignorant PC fanboys. Better yet, I'll play their game. PC kiddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh-ATI View Post
But they can afford 1080p screens and a surround sound system?
1080p screens aren't much, at all. For surround sound, I've not clue, I'm looking into finding one myself.
I'm not sure how I can repeat myself where you can understand it, no offense. I have trouble making things clear sometimes.
Say I have around $2,000 spare cash to spend for new a entertainment setup. I spend $500 on a sound system. Then I buy that 50" TV. I now have about $300 bucks to spend. Hmm, what can I get for $300 bucks that can provide a ridiculous amount of media features with bluray, be a home theatre central unit, and provide an amazing gaming experience? It looks like the only thing that can provide all of that for $300 is a Playstation 3. So, I buy that. Now, just because I had some cash saved up to get this, doesn't mean I have an endless supply. OMG I bought a $1200 TV, that MUST mean I am loaded and I should have an extra grand or two to devote in building a PC. Not to mention, my new PC won't feel awkward on a 50" and my entire family will know how to use all of its features.
Edited by Zinxe - 1/21/11 at 1:41pm
Mine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD Barracuda 500 WD 1000 WD 1000 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM Windows 10 Acer S277HK 27" 4K Acer 23" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" 1080p Razer Black Widow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX 
Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex 
  hide details  
Reply
Mine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD Barracuda 500 WD 1000 WD 1000 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM Windows 10 Acer S277HK 27" 4K Acer 23" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" 1080p Razer Black Widow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX 
Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #130 of 197
wow, stop arguing about pc vs. console. some people prefer controllers. some people prefer mice and keyboards. why should you care if people are playing on consoles which have inferior visuals. IT IS YOUR CHOICE. Don't pester someone else who happens to like console gaming better. I happen to be both a PS3 and PC gamer and I like both of them just fine.
The Red Scare
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Asus GTX 770 2gb 16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD 640GB Blue WD 1TB Blue Crucial M4 128GB SSD Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ViewSonic 1920x1080 24" Acer 1600x900 20" Das Keyboard Model S(Cherry MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cougar CMX 700W Lancool PC-K62R1 Logitech G700 Steelseries Siberia V2 Red 
  hide details  
Reply
The Red Scare
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Asus GTX 770 2gb 16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD 640GB Blue WD 1TB Blue Crucial M4 128GB SSD Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ViewSonic 1920x1080 24" Acer 1600x900 20" Das Keyboard Model S(Cherry MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cougar CMX 700W Lancool PC-K62R1 Logitech G700 Steelseries Siberia V2 Red 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [MCV]Sony: ‘Gamers want HD console MMOs’