Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [MCV]Sony: ‘Gamers want HD console MMOs’
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[MCV]Sony: ‘Gamers want HD console MMOs’ - Page 6

post #51 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoV3 View Post
The ignorance in this thread is astounding
But, but everyone games on the PC!

The argument of monitors being HD:
My 42" TV is bigger than my 23" monitor. They may have the same resolution, but when I am on a couch I honestly could care less.

To the fact that you can buy an HTPC for your living room:
My PS3 cost me less than a comprable HTPC. I was all about the HTPC until I realized I could get 140 GB of storage, another avenue to select games for, and Blu-Ray + other media features (surround sound, remote connection of my movies on my desktop, playback of any file type) for $250 instead of putting out $400+ for something equivalent.

Just beacuse you have a computer doesnt mean it has to do everything. Consoles are surviving somehow, though if you only read through this thread you people make it sound like PC gaming is the industry standard. Ha.
Sokar
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.75 GHz EVGA x58 3x SLI EVGA 670 4GB 12GB Samsung PC3 12800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Cruical M4 WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Seagate 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom WC Loop Windows 7 x64 x3 Dell U2312HM I-ROCKS KR-6820E-BK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra x3 1000w Danger Den Torture Rack Razer Deathadder Black Razer Goliathis 
AudioAudioAudio
Inifitity P153 Speakers Lepai TA202A Amp Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
Sokar
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.75 GHz EVGA x58 3x SLI EVGA 670 4GB 12GB Samsung PC3 12800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Cruical M4 WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Seagate 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom WC Loop Windows 7 x64 x3 Dell U2312HM I-ROCKS KR-6820E-BK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra x3 1000w Danger Den Torture Rack Razer Deathadder Black Razer Goliathis 
AudioAudioAudio
Inifitity P153 Speakers Lepai TA202A Amp Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 197
IMO PS3 has lost its flame for me now that it has been hacked. Anyone black COD since then? Horrible. Absolutely horrible. I can't imagine what an MMO would be like.
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrazeau1115 View Post
Just beacuse you have a computer doesnt mean it has to do everything. Consoles are surviving somehow, though if you only read through this thread you people make it sound like PC gaming is the industry standard. Ha.
You are totally right.PCs SHOULD be the industry standard , there is a reason why certain functions that a console can do(such as browsing the internet) is obsolete because people will most likely have another platform which does the same thing but better.Things ofwhich you still have to pay even though you may never use it on that platform.

There is a reason why the term "$400 PC" is becoming more and more relevant with the increasing functionality and relatively the same amount of accessibility as PCs.

Again , you pointed out 2 things that has always been at the core of the reason to buy a console(Excluding man made factors of another selection of games) , the price and its functionality.The competitive price stems from the fact that they're probably profiting very little to coup with their production costs , just like the major eletronic stores , they profit from the accessories instead of the main product.However you have also missed out on quite alot of things that the PS3 has to offer because of said point above.

In the end , would consoles offer something potentially new for an unbeatable price? Yes.Does the PC do everything else that consoles can't? Definitely.

If in time the consoles were to do the same things as a PC with exceptionally lower price tag , people would most likely jump at it.Till then , ask yourself if the consoles are going to have more to offer than the PC , i don't see why it shouldn't be if you said no as an answer.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1100T @>4Ghz CH Formula IV CF 5850 Winova 2x4GB @ 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Seagate 500GB Acer S243HL 24" Seasonic 850w SF-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1100T @>4Ghz CH Formula IV CF 5850 Winova 2x4GB @ 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Seagate 500GB Acer S243HL 24" Seasonic 850w SF-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 197
Quote:
But Sony says its customers have told them that they want to play massively multiplayer online games in surround sound and on HD screens.

We should arrange a welcome party for Sony when they move from moon to earth. They obviously haven't seen PC gaming since 1980s.
BACI DESTROYER
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7 w/EK Monoblock ASUS Maximus Gene VIII NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Gskill DDR4 3200Mhz w/EK Monarch ram block 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB WD Black 4TB EK Revo D5, Nemesis GTS 420 + 280 rads, 5x 14cm... Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schiit Stack DAC&AMP + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
BACI DESTROYER
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7 w/EK Monoblock ASUS Maximus Gene VIII NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Gskill DDR4 3200Mhz w/EK Monarch ram block 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB WD Black 4TB EK Revo D5, Nemesis GTS 420 + 280 rads, 5x 14cm... Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schiit Stack DAC&AMP + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by chia233 View Post
You are totally right.PCs SHOULD be the industry standard , there is a reason why certain functions that a console can do(such as browsing the internet) is obsolete because people will most likely have another platform which does the same thing but better.Things ofwhich you still have to pay even though you may never use it on that platform.

There is a reason why the term "$400 PC" is becoming more and more relevant with the increasing functionality and relatively the same amount of accessibility as PCs.

Again , you pointed out 2 things that has always been at the core of the reason to buy a console(Excluding man made factors of another selection of games) , the price and its functionality.The competitive price stems from the fact that they're probably profiting very little to coup with their production costs , just like the major eletronic stores , they profit from the accessories instead of the main product.However you have also missed out on quite alot of things that the PS3 has to offer because of said point above.

In the end , would consoles offer something potentially new for an unbeatable price? Yes.Does the PC do everything else that consoles can't? Definitely.

If in time the consoles were to do the same things as a PC with exceptionally lower price tag , people would most likely jump at it.Till then , ask yourself if the consoles are going to have more to offer than the PC , i don't see why it shouldn't be if you said no as an answer.
But what is the point. The fact that I am making is that currently people much prefer to shell out less money to buy a console to play their games on then spending big bucks on a computer which will become outdated in a year. I could have spent $150 on a refurbished netbook and my $250 on PS3 and still have spent about half as much as I did on my current desktop. Now that is what people are being confronted with on your average basis. So which do you choose:

1) Awsome computer that can play the 4 or 5 good games a year that come out to the PC, have a smaller community for online games and gain the functionality of a single computer.

or

2) Buy a cheap laptop or desktop that suits the web browsing, word processor that most people only care about in addition to a console and get access to a world of games with bustling online communities and tons more selection.

Not to mention the fact that as a developer of games, your not going to want to spend 3+ years working on a game when the platform keeps on changing when you can build a game for a platform which is standard. That is why PC games will never become industry standard again, because nothing about PC's are standard.
Sokar
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.75 GHz EVGA x58 3x SLI EVGA 670 4GB 12GB Samsung PC3 12800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Cruical M4 WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Seagate 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom WC Loop Windows 7 x64 x3 Dell U2312HM I-ROCKS KR-6820E-BK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra x3 1000w Danger Den Torture Rack Razer Deathadder Black Razer Goliathis 
AudioAudioAudio
Inifitity P153 Speakers Lepai TA202A Amp Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
Sokar
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.75 GHz EVGA x58 3x SLI EVGA 670 4GB 12GB Samsung PC3 12800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Cruical M4 WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Seagate 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom WC Loop Windows 7 x64 x3 Dell U2312HM I-ROCKS KR-6820E-BK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra x3 1000w Danger Den Torture Rack Razer Deathadder Black Razer Goliathis 
AudioAudioAudio
Inifitity P153 Speakers Lepai TA202A Amp Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
Keep enjoying your Fable/Fail FF14 console kiddies...

Hmmm... let's do some quick math:

PS3 + 32" HDTV = $300 + ~$400 = $700 + $60 games.

PS3-equivalent gaming PC + 24" 1080p monitor with a TV tuner () $600 + $200 = $800 + $5-$50 games, + some common sense and Googling to troubleshoot any problems.

Pretty even if you ask me.
Swap out the inbuilt TV tuner for a PCIe or PCI one and watch the costs drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
I guess you've never heard of actually reading the whole thread before spouting off
Sure, let me reply to the thing above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
It's form factor people. Ofcourse for people like us it's a piss easy thing to either build a HTPC or hoook up your own gaming rig to your bigscreen. These however are exceptions, not the norm. Sony isn't saying MMO gaming can be done on a console only and not on a (HT)PC.

A Console is a device geared to:

- Playing media content (for the sake of it, games are media content)
- Easy setup
- Easy use
- Being aestatically pleasing for exposed use in a livingroom i.e. inside a media cabinet.
- Provide a common, invariable hardware platform (very important)
- Cost effectiveness
1) PCs are better at media content, they can support more formats (I regularly have to convert files to play on my PS3) for movies and they can support older games, plus emulation ensures all but the latest console exclusive games work.
2) Anyone who can set up a console can set up a PC...It's exactly the same, a technician could build it or they could be using a pre-built alienware (It all plugs in still) or even their laptop, it's just a few cables you plug in at that point.
3) Anyone who can use the XMB or the Dashboard could use Windows to do more, if they're a power user this is a moot point as even most would find Linux fairly easy to use.
4) I personally think the 360 slim looks ugly, but its personal opinion...Plus there are many sexy PC cases, HTPC or not, out there.
5) Only point consoles have over PCs, apart from price.
6) See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrazeau1115 View Post
To the fact that you can buy an HTPC for your living room:
My PS3 cost me less than a comprable HTPC. I was all about the HTPC until I realized I could get 140 GB of storage, another avenue to select games for, and Blu-Ray + other media features (surround sound, remote connection of my movies on my desktop, playback of any file type) for $250 instead of putting out $400+ for something equivalent.
Sorry, but if you can't find a HD capable computer that has over 140GB of storage and BR (as well as the other stuff, but I don't know why you say the last bit...The PS3 certainly cannot do that, mine has codec problems all the time and I have to transcode to something different) for around $250...Well, you're plain not trying.
And yes, I have a PS3, I only have one because I could get it for the price of $0 with a TV that my family bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
IMO PS3 has lost its flame for me now that it has been hacked. Anyone black COD since then? Horrible. Absolutely horrible. I can't imagine what an MMO would be like.
CoD has been horrible since CoD4 came out, mainly because they barely change anything and it's just a cash cow, but that's another story.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 197
This isn't about PC vs Console for MMOs. No one is purchasing a console just to play MMOs. This is for the many people who already own a console and already own the average Dell PC which happens to be the average person. People are always quick to assume that the player in mind has neither and has to make a decision between PC & Console but that is not the case.
Audio Laptop
(7 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4720HQ GTX 970M 16GB Micron m600 512GB mSATA SSD 
Hard DriveOSAudio
WD 750GB Windows 10 Audient iD14 
  hide details  
Reply
Audio Laptop
(7 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4720HQ GTX 970M 16GB Micron m600 512GB mSATA SSD 
Hard DriveOSAudio
WD 750GB Windows 10 Audient iD14 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 197
some really selfish, PC centric thoughts here.
post #59 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrazeau1115 View Post



2) Buy a cheap laptop or desktop that suits the web browsing, word processor that most people only care about in addition to a console and get access to a world of games with bustling online communities and tons more selection.
...and the cost for the console £200+
the cost for a decent PC for gaming £300
if a PC is going to be needed anyway then its only £95 for the graphics card.

that makes PCs over £100 cheaper...
not to mention HDTVs go for £400+
whereas a HD monitor can be gotten for £60
thats saves another £340

total savings of £440+
I'd Rather have the extra £440 to spend on something else to be honest.

consoles have no reason to exist
CRAY lite
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II X4 955 asus M4A79T Deluxe AMD 790FX 460 OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePowerCase
G.Skill Falcon 64GB (SSD) OCZ StealthXStream 700w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
CRAY lite
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II X4 955 asus M4A79T Deluxe AMD 790FX 460 OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePowerCase
G.Skill Falcon 64GB (SSD) OCZ StealthXStream 700w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 197
All I know is I wouldn't raid with some one using a controller.
Small but mighty!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k (4.4ghz @ 1.32v) Asus Maximus Gene Z EVGA GTX 580 8GB Corsair XMS3 1866mhz 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
intel 320 120gb ssd 1 WD 10k 300gb LG blu ray burner  Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ 24" 120hz Xl2420T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steel Series G6v2 Corsair AX750 Silverstone TJ08B-e logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
Small but mighty!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k (4.4ghz @ 1.32v) Asus Maximus Gene Z EVGA GTX 580 8GB Corsair XMS3 1866mhz 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
intel 320 120gb ssd 1 WD 10k 300gb LG blu ray burner  Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ 24" 120hz Xl2420T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steel Series G6v2 Corsair AX750 Silverstone TJ08B-e logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [MCV]Sony: ‘Gamers want HD console MMOs’