Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Kotaku] A Nintendo Argument Against Achievements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Kotaku] A Nintendo Argument Against Achievements - Page 9

post #81 of 141
Sorry to quote so many ppl, but anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28;12093671 
Abso-FREAKIN-lutely.
There is no reason to replay any SSB game except the first merely because it was fun. Not because of content or anything like that.

Not to mention SSB games are fighters. You don't play through them like you play through say: Halo or something.

And the worst part is - you only have to play through it once to get all the characters.
SFIV at least required you to play through it like twenty times over to get all the characters. I've yet to get Seth either.

Unlocking characters should NOT be the objective of any fighting game. That's why so many ppl were pissed at Capcom for the really crap unlock method they used in SF4... but anyway...

Some Xbox and PS games do this with their achievements as well. Alot of it is avatar awards but quite a few give you merits in the game. Little Big Planet 2 for example gives you stuff to make levels with when you get certain pins which are linked to achievements/trophies.


I think Nintendo, and anyone who is against achievements, needs to come down to earth for a second and realize that not everyone regards achievements as a "mythical reward." It's as bad as a stereotype/generalization against twitter.
Alot of people, including myself, see achievements as simply markers in completing a game and a way to keep track to getting 100%.

^ Fully agreed with that. Couldn't have said it any better.

Before achievements on games like on the PS2 and prior - I simply played games through them, and played until I either completed them or got bored. And by completed, I mean beat the story line. There wasn't much of a reason (unless it was a game I REALLY liked) to go back through it.
Due to achievements, I regularly play through games twice if not 3 times or more. Not because I care about the "reward" of achievements and bragging rights, but because the developers put extra goals in there for the player to complete.

Some ppl don't realize that Achievement Whoring/Farming != Doing hard achievements.


Dead Space is a great example. I would've only played through the game once if it weren't for achievements. I got more value out of the game by wanting to play through it on the unlocked harder difficulty because I wanted the achievement. I even played through a 3rd time just for the achievement of playing through it using only the 1 weapon (plasma cutter).

Indeed. take a game like Resident Evil 5 for example. A game that would've been played thru in 10 hours, and dumped at the back of my game cupboard has actually gotten a good 40+ hours already due to achievements, and in doing those achievements i actually started to grow to like that game alot.

Bioshock 1. I played through that game 8 times if not more. I beat it on the PC about 3 times, I played one on the 360, and the PS3 version calls for you to beat it like another 4 times to get all the trophies (achievements). I'm being serious here too, I've been through Bioshock in and out. It's like Resident Evil for me: everytime I play it, I find so much fun in it and it never gets tired.

James Bond Bloodstone. Recent game. Nothing special, a copy-cat 3rd person shooter. No reason to play through it once yet alone twice. I did for the sake of achievements, simply because I enjoy getting them.

So Nintendo can suck an egg along with their "mythical rewards". My reward for achievements, the real award that isn't fictional, is more value out of the games that I play. I pay $60 for games, I intend to get my $60 back and then some. Achievements encourage players to do just that. biggrin.gif

And at the end of the day, that's what cheevo's are about. REPLAY VALUE.

Some ppl here treat cheevos and Gamerpoints like folding points rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by codejunki;12093702 
Ok, thats why the wii has more sales than the XBOX and PS3.

Who cares, the Wii moves sustancially less software than the Xbox and PS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28;12093899 
Ok so going through Dead Space 1 with just the Plasma cutter is considered an imaginary carrot on a stick?
Going through Little Big Planet and collecting EVERY god-for-saken collectible in the game is an imaginary carrot on a stick?
Going through Resident Evil 5 and maxing out every single weapon is an imaginary carrot on a stick?
Playing at least 40 online races/hotpursuits/interceptors in NFS:HS and getting the max level to unlock all the cars is an imaginary carrot on a stick?

Whatever you say.

To add to this. Let me give an open invitation to everybody to try and beat all the singleplayer achievements in Guitar Hero 3, and come back here to tell me about carrots on a stick.

The amount of skill and practice needed to complete what literally 99% of the gaming population will NEVER be able to achieve is hardly what i'd call an invisible achievement for greater e-peen... but whatever, go play Guitar Hero 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28;12093948 
except playing an FPS (especially in terms of achievements and replayability) is nothing like a fighter game. A fighter game's round lasts only like 5 minutes and there is nothing to be achieved from playing them over.

An FPS campaign lasts about 8 hours, and it's multiplayer rounds last about 5 minutes as well but overall lasts about 40 hours to get all the content/ranks on average.

Urm... confused.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28;12094160 
Sorry for being dumb when I beat a game you know. My apologies. rolleyes.gif
EDIT:
If you think that achievements are for dumb people, then I guess you've never accomplished anything in your life then because it's the exact same thing essentially. The ding/pop sound for achievements gives the player (if they care) the acknowledgment that they've accomplished something such as beating the game. If that's dumb, then you've never accomplished anything that you felt was worth your time. I feel sad for you in that case. Why are you even posting a video game thread if you think beating a game for example is dumb?

The ding sound wubsmiley.gif
Psylem Seeker
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.0 Ghz / 1.28v Asus P7P55D-E Premium Powercolor HD7870 Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Toshiba 2.5in External 500GB Toshiba 1TB StorE Alu2 External Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB External DVD Writer Thermalright Silver Arrow OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SyncMaster P2350 @ 1920x1080 (Dead: Using 15in ... Microsoft All-In-One + Cheapie Logitech kb Seasonic M12II 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Coolermaster 690-II Advanced Cheapie Logitech Ozaki WoW WR580 2.2ch Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 
OtherOtherOther
UMVC3 Hori Fight Stick Launchpad S + Launch Control Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (incoming) 
  hide details  
Reply
Psylem Seeker
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.0 Ghz / 1.28v Asus P7P55D-E Premium Powercolor HD7870 Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Toshiba 2.5in External 500GB Toshiba 1TB StorE Alu2 External Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB External DVD Writer Thermalright Silver Arrow OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SyncMaster P2350 @ 1920x1080 (Dead: Using 15in ... Microsoft All-In-One + Cheapie Logitech kb Seasonic M12II 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Coolermaster 690-II Advanced Cheapie Logitech Ozaki WoW WR580 2.2ch Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 
OtherOtherOther
UMVC3 Hori Fight Stick Launchpad S + Launch Control Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (incoming) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 141
My friends used to play games for fun, now they play to unlock the next achievement... I could care less about achievements...
Kilowatt
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 480 in SLI Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Intel X-25M SSD 2x SAMSUNG F4 HD204UI 2TB Koolance CPU 360 2x Koolance GTX 480 FC Nickle plated Water blocks 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 BenQ XL2410T Ducky DK1087 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 1200 G5 Razer Goliathus Beresford Caiman+ 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Sony MDR-V6 Heil PR20 Shure X2U NZXT Sentry 
  hide details  
Reply
Kilowatt
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 480 in SLI Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Intel X-25M SSD 2x SAMSUNG F4 HD204UI 2TB Koolance CPU 360 2x Koolance GTX 480 FC Nickle plated Water blocks 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 BenQ XL2410T Ducky DK1087 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 1200 G5 Razer Goliathus Beresford Caiman+ 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Sony MDR-V6 Heil PR20 Shure X2U NZXT Sentry 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 141
Achievements are lame. Its just something for console players to measure their little e-peens against other little e-peen console players. I love Oblivion for the 360 just as much as I do the modded Oblivion for my PC but I can do without the achievements. And its a vile shame that cuts deeper than all the bad ports that achievements have made it from the dirt consoles to our PC games.
post #84 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisoner;12097024 
Achievements are lame. Its just something for console players to measure their little e-peens against other little e-peen console players. I love Oblivion for the 360 just as much as I do the modded Oblivion for my PC but I can do without the achievements. And its a vile shame that cuts deeper than all the bad ports that achievements have made it from the dirt consoles to our PC games.

So vile that every PC game and Flash game has them too. rolleyes.gif

Keep hating man.
Psylem Seeker
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.0 Ghz / 1.28v Asus P7P55D-E Premium Powercolor HD7870 Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Toshiba 2.5in External 500GB Toshiba 1TB StorE Alu2 External Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB External DVD Writer Thermalright Silver Arrow OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SyncMaster P2350 @ 1920x1080 (Dead: Using 15in ... Microsoft All-In-One + Cheapie Logitech kb Seasonic M12II 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Coolermaster 690-II Advanced Cheapie Logitech Ozaki WoW WR580 2.2ch Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 
OtherOtherOther
UMVC3 Hori Fight Stick Launchpad S + Launch Control Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (incoming) 
  hide details  
Reply
Psylem Seeker
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.0 Ghz / 1.28v Asus P7P55D-E Premium Powercolor HD7870 Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Toshiba 2.5in External 500GB Toshiba 1TB StorE Alu2 External Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB External DVD Writer Thermalright Silver Arrow OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SyncMaster P2350 @ 1920x1080 (Dead: Using 15in ... Microsoft All-In-One + Cheapie Logitech kb Seasonic M12II 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Coolermaster 690-II Advanced Cheapie Logitech Ozaki WoW WR580 2.2ch Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 
OtherOtherOther
UMVC3 Hori Fight Stick Launchpad S + Launch Control Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (incoming) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 141
Achievements were cool at first, but now they're like whatever. They've gone overboard with them.

Stop the Nintendo hating please. Matter of fact, I'm going to have a drink for Nintendo. They've been great to all of us. smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif
Master Chieferrr
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 965 - stock clock ASUS M4A87TD EVO GTX 465 - stock clock 8GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
146GB SAS Cheetah + 1TB F3 Air Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 24" Asus VW246H 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ ModXtreme Pro 600w Cooler Master Centurion 5 Logitech G5 
Audio
Cyber Audio 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Master Chieferrr
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 965 - stock clock ASUS M4A87TD EVO GTX 465 - stock clock 8GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
146GB SAS Cheetah + 1TB F3 Air Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 24" Asus VW246H 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ ModXtreme Pro 600w Cooler Master Centurion 5 Logitech G5 
Audio
Cyber Audio 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 141
Personally, I don't like or care about achievements and ratings (specifically those after every battle) in games; but as long as they aren't intrusive I don't care if they're there. That said, games that unlock "achievements" because you got to the next stage or chapter in the game are ridiculous. "Achievement Unlocked: You're Not Dead." Wow, thanks. I'll, uh, celebrate or something.

I never minded Metroid's 100% items found rating/achievement though. Something that means more than a digital award I can stick on my console dashboard (even if it is just an extra cut scene of the story).
2011
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P EVGA GTX570 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ SSD 60GB, WD 1TB, Samsung 1TB LG DL DVD RW Windows 7 x64 Samsung 226CW, LG W2361VG 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750W Cosmos S 
  hide details  
Reply
2011
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P EVGA GTX570 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ SSD 60GB, WD 1TB, Samsung 1TB LG DL DVD RW Windows 7 x64 Samsung 226CW, LG W2361VG 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750W Cosmos S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 141
To each his own because no two people are so similar (insert ramble about twins here) that everybody likes different things - so let that be that!

However, I personally think games don't need 'achievements'. I think games need more depth. At least FPS games do. Doom.. Doom II... Doom III... sooo many levels! Now it's mostly about multiplayer. I don't mind that, I'd just also rather have a very challenging FPS game with good depth and longevity. smile.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 141
I personally dislike achievements. I don't mind them if you get one for something extraordinary but more often than not it's "Completed Level 2".

The thing I hate most about achievements though is the mentality it gives players. I've found many times that people are playing games to get the achievements not just simply to enjoy the game. I know someone like this, we recently talked about Super Meat Boy. He said he regretted buying it because quote, "I don't see the point in playing games where I can't get the achievements".

That kind of attitude drives me up the wall. Play a game for the game itself not for achievements.
post #89 of 141
I don't care about Nintendo, they are the least open platform dev there is. And there is no justification for spending hundreds on their consoles with modding or good online capabilities and no good devs/games.

And emulation, etc.

Nintendo is the antithesis of PC gaming and modern/high end/luxurious gaming.
Ice Wings
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Samsung Green MV-3V4G3D/US 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 240GB  Samsung F4 HD204UI Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus RoG Swift PG278Q Ducky One (DKON1687) MX Reds w/ PBT keycaps. SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G303 Puretrak Talent  
  hide details  
Reply
Ice Wings
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Samsung Green MV-3V4G3D/US 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 240GB  Samsung F4 HD204UI Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus RoG Swift PG278Q Ducky One (DKON1687) MX Reds w/ PBT keycaps. SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G303 Puretrak Talent  
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord;12097575 
I don't care about Nintendo, they are the least open platform dev there is. And there is no justification for spending hundreds on their consoles with modding or good online capabilities and no good devs/games.

And emulation, etc.

Nintendo is the antithesis of PC gaming and modern/high end/luxurious gaming.

Actually that award has to go to Apple or Sony.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Kotaku] A Nintendo Argument Against Achievements