Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › WC Pump can't fit in case with side panel closed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WC Pump can't fit in case with side panel closed

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Me being lazy (as you may know), I've been putting this off for ages, but I'm finally taking care of it. My problem is that my MCP-655B pump doesn't fit in my case with the side panel on, because these new GPUs are so damn big. It fit fine with my old 8800 GTS 512, but now that I have a GTX 275, there's no more room for my pump. See picture below.



What solutions can you guys think of? What I have in mind is moving my 3 hard drives to the 5.25" bays by using a few brackets (like 3-4 bucks each), sawing off the drive bay (see below), and lengthening the tubing and getting the pump in that little spot.



Here's a closer look at the pump touching the gpu.



Has anyone else have (had?) problems with this in similar cases? How did you overcome said problem?
post #2 of 28
I put my MCP655 into the HDD bay... it looks like yours has holes along the side like mine does. I fed the tubes through those holes, so no hacksaw was needed
The Main PC
(8 items)
 
16c/32t
(9 items)
 
12c/24t
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING Mini‑ITX EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 Corsair H80i Windows 10 Professional x64 Corsair SF600 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5-2670 Xeon E5-2670 Intel s2600cp2j GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveCoolingPower
Hynix 128GB PC3-12800R ECC Kingston SV300S37A Noctua NH-U9DXi4 Corsair RM850i 
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon X5680 Xeon X5680 SuperMicro X8DTL-iF GTX 980 
RAMOS
24GB (6X4GB) DDR3 Memory Ubuntu 
  hide details  
Reply
The Main PC
(8 items)
 
16c/32t
(9 items)
 
12c/24t
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING Mini‑ITX EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 Corsair H80i Windows 10 Professional x64 Corsair SF600 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5-2670 Xeon E5-2670 Intel s2600cp2j GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveCoolingPower
Hynix 128GB PC3-12800R ECC Kingston SV300S37A Noctua NH-U9DXi4 Corsair RM850i 
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon X5680 Xeon X5680 SuperMicro X8DTL-iF GTX 980 
RAMOS
24GB (6X4GB) DDR3 Memory Ubuntu 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 28
Turn it sideways under the card, so the Pump itself is under the card but the tubing can go up.
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4m1k4z3 View Post
I put my MCP655 into the HDD bay... it looks like yours has holes along the side like mine does. I fed the tubes through those holes, so no hacksaw was needed
The holes are too small for the tubing to fit. I'm using 7/16ths on a 1/2 pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiber View Post
Turn it sideways under the card, so the Pump itself is under the card but the tubing can go up.
The outlet of the pump will have nowhere to go. Either bumps into the side panel or into the motherboard. It's a tight fit, and the last thing I want is a kink.

Also, I'm looking for a good wire management kit (heatshrink, zip ties, anchors, etc), does anyone have any recommendations? My wire management has always been "shove everything into the unused 5.25 inch bays." It's time to change that.

Edit: I think I'm going to end up putting a hole here (marked in red) and another one a bit lower for the in and out of my pump and move my hard drives to one of the many (craploads of them) drive bays in this case. There's simply not enough room for 3 hard drives and a pump down there.


Edited by Comrade Leo - 1/21/11 at 8:10pm
post #5 of 28
Leo take a pic of the full case so I can see. I thought your card had the shroud removed but now that I see it's there, so the pump don't fit like I thought.
post #6 of 28
Maybe move the bottom HDD up and cut a hole? Put some feet on the case and mount it lower By cutting a hole and making a bracket? Make a hole in the side panel and cover it with some thing that bubbles out?
Not much room in there.
Old Skool Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 GO Lan Party DK P35 T2RS Diamond HD 6870 4x1G GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony DRU 800 Vista Ultimate 2x gt35h 1x g245h 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
6GV2 750 watt Old Skool G700 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries cloth 
  hide details  
Reply
Old Skool Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 GO Lan Party DK P35 T2RS Diamond HD 6870 4x1G GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony DRU 800 Vista Ultimate 2x gt35h 1x g245h 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
6GV2 750 watt Old Skool G700 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries cloth 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Here it is.



I was thinking of moving 2 of the 3 hard drives into the 5.25" bays, and cutting a hole in this area for the pump-out, and one at the same spot, but lower for the pump-in. That way I'll have enough room, AND manage to close my case.







NOTE: I'm well aware of how messy it is, I've been meaning to re-do the wire management, but didn't want to touch it until I got the side panel issue taken care of. I'll have to go buy a dremel this weekend to be able to cut those holes though.

While we're discussing case modding, I'd like to paint the silver parts of my case. Should I just grab some primer, and whatever color spray paint I want?
Edited by Comrade Leo - 1/21/11 at 8:41pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Leo View Post
Here it is.



I was thinking of moving 2 of the 3 hard drives into the 5.25" bays, and cutting a hole in this area for the pump-out, and one at the same spot, but lower for the pump-in. That way I'll have enough room, AND manage to close my case.







NOTE: I'm well aware of how messy it is, I've been meaning to re-do the wire management, but didn't want to touch it until I got the side panel issue taken care of. I'll have to go buy a dremel this weekend to be able to cut those holes though.

While we're discussing case modding, I'd like to paint the silver parts of my case. Should I just grab some primer, and whatever color spray paint I want?
Well, I was planning on painting mine but I read about how much time you had to leave between coats so I just decided to buy a new case. Have you thought about buying a new one? If you're planning on buying a dremel and the paint, plus sandpaper prep etc, it might cost you about the same for a new case. I know modding and the satisfaction is something some people enjoy (like me), but when I wanted to paint my case, I just couldn't bear to be 3 weeks with a PC Case so I just ended up buying a new one.

About the hard drives, you could either move them like you said, or maybe place them all 3 really close together and it'll fit. If you're going to go for this, flip them backwards and make sure the sata and power cables go in from the back. Looks a lot cleaner.

I'm not trying to get you to buy a new case, but if you do, I bought the CM690 Nvidia edition for about $110, you can probably get the default one for cheaper. It has black interior and has some pretty nice cable management, plus it's mostly toolless. It can also hold that rad of yours internally.
post #9 of 28
Thread Starter 
Well, I don't exactly have the funds for a new case. Seeing as how paint takes ages, I could just skip that step, it was just a bonus. For the dremel, I have my ways of getting one and getting rid of it free of charge, so let's not worry about that.

As for the hard drives, I tried to flip them backwards a while ago because I saw a lot of people do it, but since my case is kind of weird, and there's not a lot of spare room, I had trouble closing the right-side panel. My left-side panel (the one with the window) completely hides the hard drive area anyways, so that's not too much of a big deal. A small amount of tinkering will get the cables out of the way. The only thing that really bothers me is that I can't hide too many cables behind my motherboard, since there's only 2-3 cm of room back there. I'll also need some 3 pin fan cable extensions because I have a fan controller and my cables are just dangling in the middle of the case, there's not enough wire to hide them. I'm in love with those bottom mounted psus.

Thanks for the info on that case, I'll take a look into it. Also, what do you think of the antec 900? I have that for my htpc, and I could just swap out all the components, I don't care too much about the htpc aesthetics because you don't see anything other than the front panel.


Edit: Antec 900 looks good! If this guy can fit that pump with SLI cards, I'm pretty sure I can find a way fairly easily with a single gtx 275.



All I'd need to do is put some holes in the back of my case, kind of like this.


Edited by Comrade Leo - 1/21/11 at 9:38pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Leo View Post
Well, I don't exactly have the funds for a new case. Seeing as how paint takes ages, I could just skip that step, it was just a bonus. For the dremel, I have my ways of getting one and getting rid of it free of charge, so let's not worry about that.

As for the hard drives, I tried to flip them backwards a while ago because I saw a lot of people do it, but since my case is kind of weird, and there's not a lot of spare room, I had trouble closing the right-side panel. My left-side panel (the one with the window) completely hides the hard drive area anyways, so that's not too much of a big deal. A small amount of tinkering will get the cables out of the way. The only thing that really bothers me is that I can't hide too many cables behind my motherboard, since there's only 2-3 cm of room back there. I'll also need some 3 pin fan cable extensions because I have a fan controller and my cables are just dangling in the middle of the case, there's not enough wire to hide them. I'm in love with those bottom mounted psus.

Thanks for the info on that case, I'll take a look into it. Also, what do you think of the antec 900? I have that for my htpc, and I could just swap out all the components, I don't care too much about the htpc aesthetics because you don't see anything other than the front panel.


Edit: Antec 900 looks good! If this guy can fit that pump with SLI cards, I'm pretty sure I can find a way fairly easily with a single gtx 275.



All I'd need to do is put some holes in the back of my case, kind of like this.

I've heard of people loving the antec 900, so I'd say it's a good bet. The problem with your case and the pump is mostly that your PSU is on the top and not the bottom, so any bottom PSU case should do to fit the pump in there. If you have that one at your disposal, go ahead and so some swapping. If you need help cable managing ask me, I've gotten pretty good at this. Here's a pic of my rig atm.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › WC Pump can't fit in case with side panel closed