Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Please help me! My system won't boot! Did I kill my baby?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please help me! My system won't boot! Did I kill my baby? - Page 3

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post
This is coming from the guy who has 1000 watts to power a rig. Seasonic have a high efficiency with a good amount of amps on the 12 rail. He should be fine.

Power on the system with one stick of RAM and see what the speeds are.

Ya, I have 1000 watts, But I also Xfiring 2 6970's, two SSD's, 3 HDD's , 6 LED 120mm fans, 2 230mm LED fans, 6 GB ram. Yes I still have room to spare, but if you read any PSU, its rated to be its rated Watts at peak.. not steady.
BlueMonster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 950 (batch 3041A657) Gigabyte x58-ud3r XFX HD6970 2Gb Crossfire Corsair Dominator 6gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C-300 64 Gb In Raid, WD 500Gb in Raid DVD/CD RW Windows 7 64bit Asus VE248H 1 over 3 Eyefinity with Ergotech Stand 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master HAF 932 (mod'd AMD version) Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
BlueMonster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 950 (batch 3041A657) Gigabyte x58-ud3r XFX HD6970 2Gb Crossfire Corsair Dominator 6gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C-300 64 Gb In Raid, WD 500Gb in Raid DVD/CD RW Windows 7 64bit Asus VE248H 1 over 3 Eyefinity with Ergotech Stand 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master HAF 932 (mod'd AMD version) Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
Ya, I have 1000 watts, But I also Xfiring 2 6970's, two SSD's, 3 HDD's , 6 LED 120mm fans, 2 230mm LED fans, 6 GB ram. Yes I still have room to spare, but if you read any PSU, its rated to be its rated Watts at peak.. not steady.
He still has an ample amount of room though. His rig probably pulls around 400 Watts from the wall. Your build on the other hand could probably use the same psu that he has. Do you actually have crossfire 6970s? They aren't listed in your sig?
My baby
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 - 3.80ghz @ 1.100V ASUS Rampage II Gene ASUS Radeon 5870 @ 1ghz + Accelero Xtreme 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 1Tb LG 24X R/RW Windows 7 professional 64bit 2X BenQ E2420HD 24inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
XArmor U9BL Mechanical Keyboard Antec Earthwatts 750W Antec 902 Logitech G500 
Audio
Logitech X-540 
  hide details  
Reply
My baby
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 - 3.80ghz @ 1.100V ASUS Rampage II Gene ASUS Radeon 5870 @ 1ghz + Accelero Xtreme 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 1Tb LG 24X R/RW Windows 7 professional 64bit 2X BenQ E2420HD 24inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
XArmor U9BL Mechanical Keyboard Antec Earthwatts 750W Antec 902 Logitech G500 
Audio
Logitech X-540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
Ya, I have 1000 watts, But I also Xfiring 2 6970's, two SSD's, 3 HDD's , 6 LED 120mm fans, 2 230mm LED fans, 6 GB ram. Yes I still have room to spare, but if you read any PSU, its rated to be its rated Watts at peak.. not steady.
You don't need 1000 watts for that, and if you are running 6970s in crossfire, I suggest you update that 9600 you have in your system specs. Also I wish people would stop assuming that watts = most important thing on a PSU. A PSU with high efficiency and less watts is always better than more watts, otherwise your just wasting power.
Big Daddy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4970k ASUS Z97-A 2 x EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 1TB EVO SSD Corsair H80i Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG Swift M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex Pok3r Corsair 1200W Jonsbo UMX3 Mionix 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Daddy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4970k ASUS Z97-A 2 x EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 1TB EVO SSD Corsair H80i Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG Swift M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex Pok3r Corsair 1200W Jonsbo UMX3 Mionix 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordawg92 View Post
The PSU that he has is more than enough to run his rig. This problem has nothing to do with power consumption


Peeps should really stop relying on PSU calculators and figuring this stuff up by hand. While some of these systems may run on what a calculator told you, you should not get the exact limit of whats needed, as a PSU is not rated at 100% duty at that wattage. So unless what my CompTia+ certificate was wrong to study for, I am basing this off my knowledge of what each component pulls, and the fact that we on here do not have the bare minimum of anything... its Overclock.net for gosh sake


With http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine (if I chose to use a calculator) My system rates as a minimum of 738watts. and reccomends 836 watts. Its low compared to my figures by hand.
Edited by TDS - 1/21/11 at 8:03pm
BlueMonster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 950 (batch 3041A657) Gigabyte x58-ud3r XFX HD6970 2Gb Crossfire Corsair Dominator 6gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C-300 64 Gb In Raid, WD 500Gb in Raid DVD/CD RW Windows 7 64bit Asus VE248H 1 over 3 Eyefinity with Ergotech Stand 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master HAF 932 (mod'd AMD version) Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
BlueMonster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 950 (batch 3041A657) Gigabyte x58-ud3r XFX HD6970 2Gb Crossfire Corsair Dominator 6gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C-300 64 Gb In Raid, WD 500Gb in Raid DVD/CD RW Windows 7 64bit Asus VE248H 1 over 3 Eyefinity with Ergotech Stand 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master HAF 932 (mod'd AMD version) Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 29
Thread Starter 
Please can we cut the PSU argument? Seeing as a dimm is absolutely not working for some reason, be it dead or poorly seated, we know the power supply is not the problem.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 4.41 GHz 1.36V 24/7 5.00 GHz 1.568V HT ON Asus Sabertooth X58 Sapphire Radeon 5770 4GB G Skill Ripjaws DRR3 1600 @ 1685 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB Sata III HDD LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Windows 7 Ultimate AOC 20" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 3200 SeaSonic 520w NZXT M59 Roccat Kone[+] 
Mouse Pad
Padless! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 4.41 GHz 1.36V 24/7 5.00 GHz 1.568V HT ON Asus Sabertooth X58 Sapphire Radeon 5770 4GB G Skill Ripjaws DRR3 1600 @ 1685 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB Sata III HDD LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Windows 7 Ultimate AOC 20" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 3200 SeaSonic 520w NZXT M59 Roccat Kone[+] 
Mouse Pad
Padless! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
Peeps should really stop relying on PSU calculators and figuring this stuff up by hand. While some of these systems may run on what a calculator told you, you should not get the exact limit of whats needed, as a PSU is not rated at 100% duty at that wattage. So unless what my CompTia+ certificate was wrong to study for, I am basing this off my knowledge of what each component pulls, and the fact that we on here do not have the bare minimum of anything... its Overclock.net for gosh sake


With http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine (if I chose to use a calculator) My system rates as a minimum of 738watts. and reccomends 836 watts. Its low compared to my figures by hand.
Just because a component says it needs so-so power doesn't mean it does, I could really care less what you learned in CompTIA since this is what actually happens in real life. PSUs and hand calculations are not accurate because they don't factor in PSU efficiency which allows a power supply to get more power than its actually rated, I have managed to run two 8800 GTs on a 450 watt PSU a few years back, so watts have nothing to do with it.

Your point is moot because SeaSonic PSUs are some of the best quality PSU's and handle power amazinly well so 520 watts is fine for him and his system.

I am honestly getting tired of explaining this, so I suggest you actually search the forums before pulling incomplete facts out of your butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflolol View Post
Please can we cut the PSU argument? Seeing as a dimm is absolutely not working for some reason, be it dead or poorly seated, we know the power supply is not the problem.
Try different RAM sticks in the dead dimm socket. If none of the sticks work in that socket, RMA the motherboard. If the other sticks work, replace the single dead stick.
Edited by Limes - 1/21/11 at 8:20pm
Big Daddy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4970k ASUS Z97-A 2 x EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 1TB EVO SSD Corsair H80i Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG Swift M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex Pok3r Corsair 1200W Jonsbo UMX3 Mionix 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Daddy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4970k ASUS Z97-A 2 x EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 1TB EVO SSD Corsair H80i Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG Swift M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex Pok3r Corsair 1200W Jonsbo UMX3 Mionix 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 29
[QUOTE=Limes;12096342]Just because a component says it needs so-so power doesn't mean it does, I could really care less what you learned in CompTIA since this is what actually happens in real life. PSUs and hand calculations are not accurate because they don't factor in PSU efficiency which allows a power supply to get more power than its actually rated, I have managed to run two 8800 GTs on a 450 watt PSU a few years back, so watts have nothing to do with it.

Your point is moot because SeaSonic PSUs are some of the best quality PSU's and handle power amazinly well so 520 watts is fine for him and his system.

I am honestly getting tired of explaining this, so I suggest you actually search the forums before pulling incomplete facts out of your butt.




PSU efficiency is for how much current it draws from your wall to produce the wattage...for the most part.............. which Ampers * volts is Watts.

Anyhow... I am not going to argue it..... was not trying to argue with anyone.... the OP came here for opinions on what could be wrong. You could however take some lessons in tactfulness. Cause I didnt pull anything from my butt, as you stated. We were all trying to be helpful, with the knowledge we all have. And while we are all knowledgable, we all are not the right all the time. Thats why they call it troubleshooting.
BlueMonster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 950 (batch 3041A657) Gigabyte x58-ud3r XFX HD6970 2Gb Crossfire Corsair Dominator 6gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C-300 64 Gb In Raid, WD 500Gb in Raid DVD/CD RW Windows 7 64bit Asus VE248H 1 over 3 Eyefinity with Ergotech Stand 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master HAF 932 (mod'd AMD version) Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
BlueMonster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 950 (batch 3041A657) Gigabyte x58-ud3r XFX HD6970 2Gb Crossfire Corsair Dominator 6gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C-300 64 Gb In Raid, WD 500Gb in Raid DVD/CD RW Windows 7 64bit Asus VE248H 1 over 3 Eyefinity with Ergotech Stand 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master HAF 932 (mod'd AMD version) Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
^^^
Not saying its a bad PSU, just saying I feel your under watted for that system. I am sure you have extra fans along with the fact your OCing the board, ram, and CPU. Just saying it feels to me its under/at the limit of what you need.
Uh, that PSU can run a second HD5770 with no problem, and with the CPU at that overclock.

You don't need 1000W to run your rig as well.
T8
(17 items)
 
T6
(17 items)
 
T5
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i5 2400 @ 3.0 ASROCK Z68 Pro 3 M AMD Radeon HD 6950 Shader Unlocked, @ 900/1400 2x KVR1333D3N9/4G 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x KVR1333D3N9/2G Plextor M5S 128GB Western Digital Caviar GreenPower WD5000AACS Western Digital Caviar WD2500JS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LiteON iHAS324 DVD-RW DL Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro w/ AVC DS12025B12U Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Dell Ultrasharp U2211H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rapoo V500 (Kailh Yellow) FSP Aurum AU-400 400W 80PLUS Gold CoolerMaster Silencio 352 CoolerMaster Storm SPAWN 
Audio
Fenda F&D H200 2.0 USB Powered 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.0 ASROCK Z68 Pro 3 M AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GD5 (Reference) 2x KVR1333D3N9/4G 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2x KVR1333D3N9/2G Transcend SSD370 128GB WD Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT Samsung SH-223C 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer-C AKASA Ball Bearing Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Dell Ultrasharp U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Armaggeddon Strike Eagle MKI-3 (Kailh Red) Dell (Foxconn) F320EM-00 320W 80PLUS Gold CoolerMaster Elite 341 CM Storm SPAWN 
Audio
Dell USB Powered 2.0 
  hide details  
Reply
T8
(17 items)
 
T6
(17 items)
 
T5
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i5 2400 @ 3.0 ASROCK Z68 Pro 3 M AMD Radeon HD 6950 Shader Unlocked, @ 900/1400 2x KVR1333D3N9/4G 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x KVR1333D3N9/2G Plextor M5S 128GB Western Digital Caviar GreenPower WD5000AACS Western Digital Caviar WD2500JS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LiteON iHAS324 DVD-RW DL Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro w/ AVC DS12025B12U Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Dell Ultrasharp U2211H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rapoo V500 (Kailh Yellow) FSP Aurum AU-400 400W 80PLUS Gold CoolerMaster Silencio 352 CoolerMaster Storm SPAWN 
Audio
Fenda F&D H200 2.0 USB Powered 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.0 ASROCK Z68 Pro 3 M AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GD5 (Reference) 2x KVR1333D3N9/4G 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2x KVR1333D3N9/2G Transcend SSD370 128GB WD Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT Samsung SH-223C 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer-C AKASA Ball Bearing Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Dell Ultrasharp U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Armaggeddon Strike Eagle MKI-3 (Kailh Red) Dell (Foxconn) F320EM-00 320W 80PLUS Gold CoolerMaster Elite 341 CM Storm SPAWN 
Audio
Dell USB Powered 2.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 29
Thread Starter 
Annnd the dim wasn't seated properly. Sorry for causing such alarm! The system is totally back to normal again, running 4.30 GHz 24/7 with no issues whatsoever.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 4.41 GHz 1.36V 24/7 5.00 GHz 1.568V HT ON Asus Sabertooth X58 Sapphire Radeon 5770 4GB G Skill Ripjaws DRR3 1600 @ 1685 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB Sata III HDD LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Windows 7 Ultimate AOC 20" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 3200 SeaSonic 520w NZXT M59 Roccat Kone[+] 
Mouse Pad
Padless! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 4.41 GHz 1.36V 24/7 5.00 GHz 1.568V HT ON Asus Sabertooth X58 Sapphire Radeon 5770 4GB G Skill Ripjaws DRR3 1600 @ 1685 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB Sata III HDD LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Windows 7 Ultimate AOC 20" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 3200 SeaSonic 520w NZXT M59 Roccat Kone[+] 
Mouse Pad
Padless! 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Please help me! My system won't boot! Did I kill my baby?