Votes: 129 50.4%
  • Complete Fan - about 15 week wait time 13-14$ a fan

Votes: 127 49.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Would Want Gentle Typhoon 2150s??

70K views 1K replies 244 participants last post by  Chipp 
#1 ·
This group buy in on hold indefinitely until we can either restore contact with the organizer.
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

A Message From Chipp:

As a little more info to this thread, this group buy would be sponsored by Overclock.net. Whats that mean? We'll be funding the initial cost of the fans, and then facilitating sale at-cost to you folks. This allows us to avoid anyone needing to middleman money or pay in advance; all we need is a confirmed number of fans to order thanks to Therionx's great legwork. The sooner we've got that number, the sooner we can get the ball rolling on the order. Hopefully, this system will also get some more people involved who might have been hesitant to participate in a traditional group buy.
Though we are still happy to middleman this deal to protect everyone involved, it is now not likely due to the extreme size of the order that we'll be able to finance the initial costs (approaching, and possibly over, $10,000...) This means that payment will work much like a normal group buy, just with Overclock.net acting as the middleman on costs. A buyer would pay Overclock.net; then Overclock.net would place the order and handle distribution to all who bought in.

UPDATE:
We officially broke the 720 fan barrier so complete fans from here on in are about 16$ a piece after applicable fees and 9$ for a bare-bones fan.

To start off The fans can come 2 different ways.

Option 1 has a Tach sensor and a 3-Pin fan connector pre installed and The estimated price per fan is about 16$. There is also an an estimated wait time of 10-15 weeks.

Option 2 is a bare-bones fan, this fan come with 2 pre attached power wires (Positive and ground) but no 3 pin fan connector. The price for this fan is about 8-9$ and the wait time is about 3-5 weeks. I would like to see if i can get fan tails or connectors included with the purchase so you can terminate your own ends if needed, this would only add at most 1-2$ to the price. These fans DO NOT have a RPM sensor but can still be controlled by any fan controller.

I personally would like to shoot for 2 separate orders, One bare-bones and One Complete. This does not mean that this will happen though but its a feasible idea and would be beneficial to everyone.

The only requirement that would need to be met for 2 orders is there will have to be no less then 720 fans per order. This will guarantee bare minium pricing.

I want everyone to remember that all this is still in the beginning stages and right now this is to gauge ideas for a finalized order. There is bound to be changes so please do not think that this is all final.

UPDATE:

Turnaround Time:

I finally got word back from the distributor about some costs and turnaround. What was taking so long was Nidec is not actually producing these fans on a regular basis anymore, they are pretty much for order only and are not stocked anywhere because of this. The distributor was trying to get a definite production time to relay back to me wich took a little bit of time, but heres the information.

From date of initial order it wil be about a 10 week turnaround for production of the fan at Nidec, shipping from Nidec to the distributor, delivery from distributor to Molex for connectors and delivery back to the distributor for shipment to purchaser.

Another little tid-bit of information given to me was this is going to be the last year 2150s will be available, starting next year the 2150 will be discontinued and removed from production and will officially be replaced by the new 3000 rpm model just released. So it looks like this will be everyones only chance to get their hands on these before they cant be had at all.

I removed the quantity discount because we are already over the limit needed for the maximum discount.

Regarding Shipping:

Message From Chipp: Please note - all costs provided in this thread are rough estimates! We will never try to make a profit on initiatives like this, but, may need to add minimal markup to each item's cost so that we do not loose large amounts of money on shipping.

For those of you who may not know what the GT 2150 is, it is the model up from the Gentle Typhoon AP-15.

Here is the specs

Max Airflow:1.95 m³/min
69 cfm

Max Static Pressure:28 Pa
0.113 inH2O

Noise:29-30 dB

Speed:2150 rpm

Voltage:12 V

Operating Voltage:5 - 13.2 V

Current Rating:123 mA

Current Starting:530 mA

Operating Temperature:-10 ~ +60 ºC

Dimensions:120 x 25 mm

Weight:200 g

This deal has been made official and now in order to reach the next level I need everyone to post the exact amount of fans they want at current estimated price of 16$.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AvTAy14OG3LAdEhtSmpSMVV4Qm5oRHY5RW9lMGZsN2c&w=100&h=500]Copy of to-do-list[/URL]

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwarper;12115798
Err there is already such a thread here, I just realised:2150rpm GT interest thread
The deal fell through for them and they cant get them anymore. Hopefully the people who who interested on that thread jump over here. If everything goes well this deal is guaranteed.

#9 ·
Just reassuring: this thread won't be deleted like the other 2 that were set up (wasn't me!). Some more proper arrangements have been made and hopefully it'll all work out when the time comes to actually get these fans moving.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcshoejake;12115938
I'm going to get some but not in the next month or so, priority is getting my SB folding rig set up. If I was in need of them atm I'd have gotten at least 4.

Best of luck finding 500 people to get the GT's (no sarcasm involved).
Would you like me to put your down for the 4, im guessing if this does get finalized it would be about a month or more.

lol, i think 500 should be a manageable perspective, hopefully more people catch wind of this.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp;12115879
Just reassuring: this thread won't be deleted like the other 2 that were set up (wasn't me!).
Suuuure.. it wasn't you.
ninja.gif

j/k
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume;12116012
I'm getting two when Koolertek gets the PWM versions in stock.
Is Nathan still going through with his order? Haven't heard from him in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorundJ;12116119
Oh yeah, put me up for 6.
BTW, reaper, spam this "officially" in the fan club!
smile.gif
lol Someone already did.
biggrin.gif

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper~;12116174
Is Nathan still going through with his order? Haven't heard from him in a while.
From what i heard no, the initial deal was to expensive as they would have had to been shipped directly from asia. I had the distributor information i found forwarded to him, and hopefully more info will be revealed if he is going to be carrying them or not.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper~;12116174
lol Someone already did.
biggrin.gif
Oh,
doh.gif
perhaps place a link in screaming red at page 1 so people will see it? (who ever goes to check page one?!)

I'll make a little update for the signature.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwarper;12116271
Would be great if you could get 3-pin ones
smile.gif

That is Molex connector to 3 pin fan connector could be also good...

Cos that is what I need, 4 pin PWM ones I cannot use...

By the way I live in Europe, going to be a problem perhaps?
tongue.gif
If you just using them as case fans your MB should fully support 4 pin fans. and if not you can still use the 4 pin fan on the 3 pin header its just offset by 1 pin, or you can get a 4 pin to 3 pin adapter, either way the 4 pins should work with just about any application and gives you the opportunity to auto control the fans if needed.

Im not sure about the shipping i guess that will be addressed when/if everything becomes finalized.

you will definitely be updated when the time comes

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therionx;12116413
If you just using them as case fans your MB should fully support 4 pin fans. and if not you can still use the 4 pin fan on the 3 pin header its just offset by 1 pin, or you can get a 4 pin to 3 pin adapter, either way the 4 pins should work with just about any application and gives you the opportunity to auto control the fans if needed.

Im not sure about the shipping i guess that will be addressed when/if everything becomes finalized.

you will definitely be updated when the time comes
Thanks for the update...
BUT, sorry there's always a but haha
smile.gif

I want most of them to be running off Molex connectors coming from my PSU, since then I am sure the fans do get all the current and power they need, as I am not that confident in motherboard pin headers and perhaps fry them...
frown.gif

However using adapters on adapters on adapters on molex, that is something I don't feel comfortable with in an electrical point of view if you know where I am getting at...

But I could solder a 3-pin myself, then I need to get soldering skills haha
smile.gif

Then again getting 3-pin version right from the start would be easiest hahaha
sorry for being PITA, I do not mean any offense...

#24 ·
Nice screaming red reaper. I've updated my sig, lets hope it helps to get ppl here. If anyone want me to post the code, tell me.

I'm posting it already, just as easy.

PHP:
[URL=http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/922531-who-would-want-gentle-typhoon-2150s.html]Sign Up For The 2150RPM Model Here[/URL]!

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therionx;12116460
Thanks for the support
smile.gif
You're welcome...
smile.gif

Just slip me a couple of GT under the table once you got them.
ninja.gif

j/k
biggrin.gif
or am I
ninja.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorundJ;12116560
Nice screaming red reaper. I've updated my sig, lets hope it helps to get ppl here. If anyone want me to post the code, tell me.
Cool. I'm still waiting for the blades on your avatar to start moving (as in .GIF).
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.