Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › My sandy build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My sandy build

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Ok so just bought my i5 2500k cpu and my ud3p mobo from micro center ( what hell that place is im never going back there )

Going to grab this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-444-_-Product

For graphics card should i use a 470?

goiing to be a gaming computer mostly WoW(main game) , sc2, tf2, an sum other rts/fps

Do i need to buy a thermal compound for the stock heatsink that came with the i5 2500k?
Death knight
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB DDR3 1600 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Lite-On 24 X iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Home Premium CORSAIR 650TX NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Death knight
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB DDR3 1600 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Lite-On 24 X iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Home Premium CORSAIR 650TX NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
Nice choice of hardware so far.

The stock heatsink will come with thermal paste applied, so there's no need to buy any. If you're planning on doing some decent overclocking you'll want to buy an aftermarket cooler along with some decent thermal paste, but the stock cooler/TIM will be fine for stock and a small overclock.

What's your budget for the GPU?
post #3 of 8
i'd get one of this kits instead.. not as fast as yours but twice the capacity

GTX 560 is coming out in 2 days... should be under $300

you dont need thermal paste but it wouldnt hurt i guess
yunojelly
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K P8P67 EVO GTX Titan 560 Ti GE 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB 1600/CL8 64GB C300 RAID0 128GB M4 256GB M4 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
NH-D14 Windows 8 Pro VP2770-LED 850AX 
Case
PCV1020B 
  hide details  
Reply
yunojelly
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K P8P67 EVO GTX Titan 560 Ti GE 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB 1600/CL8 64GB C300 RAID0 128GB M4 256GB M4 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
NH-D14 Windows 8 Pro VP2770-LED 850AX 
Case
PCV1020B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisbodds View Post
Nice choice of hardware so far.

The stock heatsink will come with thermal paste applied, so there's no need to buy any. If you're planning on doing some decent overclocking you'll want to buy an aftermarket cooler along with some decent thermal paste, but the stock cooler/TIM will be fine for stock and a small overclock.

What's your budget for the GPU?
budget is pretty much $320 with tax + shipping would like to stay low on that end.

just want a good card thats going to b able to play my games at max settings with great fps. thats why i was thinking the 470 might be the best pick. this is my first build so im not 100% sure.
Death knight
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB DDR3 1600 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Lite-On 24 X iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Home Premium CORSAIR 650TX NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Death knight
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB DDR3 1600 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Lite-On 24 X iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Home Premium CORSAIR 650TX NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Microcenter is a hell? Blasphemy!!!
I LOVE THAT PLACE

Anyways the stock heatsink comes with thermal paste already applied..
But tbh I would get an aftermarket cooler. Best Buy has the A50 and A70 air coolers on sale for $19 and $26 .. If you have BB close go grab one of those coolers.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealio View Post
i'd get one of this kits instead.. not as fast as yours but twice the capacity

GTX 560 is coming out in 2 days... should be under $300

you dont need thermal paste but it wouldnt hurt i guess
That depends... If you honestly think that you'll never use more than 4GB of RAM (at least for a while - you can always upgrade later) then the kit you picked out will be the better option.

If you use lots of RAM heavy programs, 4GB will just be annoying, no matter how fast it is. But not many people do need more than 4GB.

EDIT
:
At that budget, the 470 is a good choice. For an AMD/ATI card, the 6950 would be your best option.
Edited by Ellis - 1/23/11 at 3:26pm
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
I doubt im going to use more then 4gb of ram tbh i mean its just WoW and internet stuff like youtube and forums.

the 560 have any bench marks out? or anyone know how it competes with the 470?

Yea ive been to micro center 4 times this week everytime i swear they messed somthing up and today they charged my card for my combo and then they kept saying they didnt and wouldnt give me my item so i had to call my bank and have them explain it to them before they would let me take my stuff, they suggested i come back in 3 days...besides that and telling me they have the items in stock or that they are being held they some how always messed that up and never seemed to have a clue about the parts. idk maybe it was just bad luck but ill be just buying from newegg from now on.

ill check out that best buy deal seems good.
Death knight
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB DDR3 1600 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Lite-On 24 X iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Home Premium CORSAIR 650TX NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
Death knight
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB DDR3 1600 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Lite-On 24 X iHAS424-98 Windows 7 Home Premium CORSAIR 650TX NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainix View Post
I doubt im going to use more then 4gb of ram tbh i mean its just WoW and internet stuff like youtube and forums.

the 560 have any bench marks out? or anyone know how it competes with the 470?

Yea ive been to micro center 4 times this week everytime i swear they messed somthing up and today they charged my card for my combo and then they kept saying they didnt and wouldnt give me my item so i had to call my bank and have them explain it to them before they would let me take my stuff, they suggested i come back in 3 days...besides that and telling me they have the items in stock or that they are being held they some how always messed that up and never seemed to have a clue about the parts. idk maybe it was just bad luck but ill be just buying from newegg from now on.

ill check out that best buy deal seems good.
No, there aren't any benchmarks or anything out for the 560 yet, but I would imagine it would perform somewhere between the 460 and 470, probably closer to the 470. But it will have better temperatures and cooling than the 470.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › My sandy build