Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › WARNING: Dead Space 2 DRM Install limit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WARNING: Dead Space 2 DRM Install limit - Page 7

post #61 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
Given that my post is directed at the members of this forum, and not at EA, I am traumatized to hear that the mouse-hands of our many OCN forumgoers have an uncontrollable mind of their own.

There's always a choice.
Im not saying that people do it uncontrollably, but there are always going to be the people out there that do it.

I don't pirate games, I test drive them before I buy them, and sometimes i don't have the cash at the moment so i download it which is sort of a contract with myself that i have to buy that game.
post #62 of 95
Why is this a debate every time a game is released? Yes, DRM sucks. However, you can contact them for more keys.

Under no circumstances, whether you hate the publisher, you're broke, or you had a bad crap this morning, should you ever - EVER - pirate a game.
post #63 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post
Why is this a debate every time a game is released? Yes, DRM sucks. However, you can contact them for more keys.

Under no circumstances, whether you hate the publisher, you're broke, or you had a bad crap this morning, should you ever - EVER - pirate a game.
I test drive, not pirate, huge difference. Most of the games I play are on my steam account or are free to play anyway.

such as world of tanks.

other then that i mostly play dirt 2, grid, and GTAIV off my steam account.
post #64 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;12143122 
Im not saying that people do it uncontrollably, but there are always going to be the people out there that do it.

Which makes it okay for you because...?

I guess I'll start throwing litter into the ocean now. It's okay, because there are always going to be the people out there that do it.

GUESS WHAT. YOU'RE ONE OF "THOSE PEOPLE" NOW. DON'T BE.

Bradley: The way it has worked with other games is that you do need to reformat; there's some identification with the install of your computer (somewhere in the registry) that wouldn't still be there if you reformatted. Some of these DRM games give a seperate deactivation tool that means you don't have to fully uninstall.

Also, I should note to people who format once a year, many games to use this format tend to turn off the "activation limit" thing after so many years; on release, this is just a good way of slowing the initial game-sharing. Has anyone reinstalled Bioshock recently and had to activate it through limited installs again?
Calvin
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40Ghz ASUS Z87-A eVGA GTX 670 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD + 2TB internal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Two of them! Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
Calvin
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40Ghz ASUS Z87-A eVGA GTX 670 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD + 2TB internal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Two of them! Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
Which makes it okay for you because...?

I guess I'll start throwing litter into the ocean now. It's okay, because there are always going to be the people out there that do it.

GUESS WHAT. YOU'RE ONE OF "THOSE PEOPLE" NOW. DON'T BE.

Bradley: The way it has worked with other games is that you do need to reformat; there's some identification with the install of your computer (somewhere in the registry) that wouldn't still be there if you reformatted. Some of these DRM games give a seperate deactivation tool that means you don't have to fully uninstall.

Also, I should note to people who format once a year, many games to use this format tend to turn off the "activation limit" thing after so many years; on release, this is just a good way of slowing the initial game-sharing. Has anyone reinstalled Bioshock recently and had to activate it through limited installs again?
DID I EVER ONCE SAY IT AS AN EXCUSE? NO!!

I never said I do it because other people do.
I said there will always be pirating, you can't get around it. I never once said it was right.
So why don't you read what I typed before accusing me of being in a category I am not. Don't say anything about stealing a car to drive it or anything like that. I can go to a store, and open a product and look at it to make sure it is what I want, and I can test drive a car to make sure I like it before I buy it.

I you want me to buy every single game I think I might like, how about you pay for the games for me. Until then, shut it.

I said i download the game before I buy it because I don't have all the cash in the world so i want to spend money on games i like, not bad ones.
I buy games i like and delete the ones i dont. it isn't like i play through the whole game, normally i know within like 2 minutes of playing, so basicly demo timeframe.
post #66 of 95
1. someone installs the game on their computer.
2. they also install it on their laptop
3. they get a virus that corrupts windows on their rig. has to do a reformat. then re installs again.
4. they decide to build a new computer. they install the game.
5. about 2 weeks later the hard drive they have gets bad sectors, and crashes. reinstalls on RMA drive
6. they decide to buy an ssd and install windows and a few games on it. ds2 is one of them NEVERMIND DRM LIMIT U LOSE


I'm sure this is unlikely to happen like this, but cmon, you see how easy it is to install 5 times? quite BS if u ask me.
Edited by kyle7412 - 1/25/11 at 8:10pm
my first child
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.2ghz Evga X58 Sli3 2x Gtx 460 @ 820Mhz [SLI] 12GB G skill 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb SSD x2 1TB Western digital Caviar Black 1TB 5900 rpm Seagate (Storage) Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 pro 64 bit Samsung 27" 1920x1080 Saitek Eclipse II Corsair AX 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
Haf X R.A.T. 7 Albino Klipsch Promedia 2.1 w/ 200W sub 
  hide details  
Reply
my first child
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.2ghz Evga X58 Sli3 2x Gtx 460 @ 820Mhz [SLI] 12GB G skill 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb SSD x2 1TB Western digital Caviar Black 1TB 5900 rpm Seagate (Storage) Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 pro 64 bit Samsung 27" 1920x1080 Saitek Eclipse II Corsair AX 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
Haf X R.A.T. 7 Albino Klipsch Promedia 2.1 w/ 200W sub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;12144485 
DID I EVER ONCE SAY IT AS AN EXCUSE? NO!!

I never said I do it because other people do.
I said there will always be pirating, you can't get around it. I never once said it was right.
So why don't you read what I typed before accusing me of being in a category I am not. Don't say anything about stealing a car to drive it or anything like that. I can go to a store, and open a product and look at it to make sure it is what I want, and I can test drive a car to make sure I like it before I buy it.

I you want me to buy every single game I think I might like, how about you pay for the games for me. Until then, shut it.

I said i download the game before I buy it because I don't have all the cash in the world so i want to spend money on games i like, not bad ones.
I buy games i like and delete the ones i dont. it isn't like i play through the whole game, normally i know within like 2 minutes of playing, so basicly demo timeframe.

What I don't get is what point you are trying to make by stating that there will always be piracy. We established that EA decision-makers don't read these forums, and you say that you're not using it as an excuse for yourself, so I have no idea who you're directing it at.

I don't buy every single game I think I might like either. I, like you, only buy games that I HAVE played, or that are so cheap it won't matter. But I don't pirate games. Yes, that kind of limits me to games that have some form of demo, or that I can play from a friend's computer, but I don't mind; there are enough games out there to keep me occupied in my schedule. If the issue with a game is that you don't know how it is, or that it's too expensive, take it up with the developer.

Say to them, politely, in an E-mail "Hey! I'm real interested in your new game, Dead Space 2. But I just can't make a decision on buying it unless I've played it - trailers don't do it for me! If you don't have plans for a demo, or some sort of trial, I can't really risk $60." (Same sort of thing for price)

When you pirate a game, that doesn't get any messages to anyone in the studios, except the (somewhat erroneous) "lost sale". You also make things much harder for other PC gamers, and PC developers.

kyle; it is also quite easy to contact EA support if you happen to have gone through that much. As has been said NUMEROUS times in this thread, they tend to believe your story.
Calvin
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40Ghz ASUS Z87-A eVGA GTX 670 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD + 2TB internal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Two of them! Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
Calvin
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40Ghz ASUS Z87-A eVGA GTX 670 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD + 2TB internal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Two of them! Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
What I don't get is what point you are trying to make by stating that there will always be piracy. We established that EA decision-makers don't read these forums, and you say that you're not using it as an excuse for yourself, so I have no idea who you're directing it at.

I don't buy every single game I think I might like either. I, like you, only buy games that I HAVE played, or that are so cheap it won't matter. But I don't pirate games. Yes, that kind of limits me to games that have some form of demo, or that I can play from a friend's computer, but I don't mind; there are enough games out there to keep me occupied in my schedule. If the issue with a game is that you don't know how it is, or that it's too expensive, take it up with the developer.

Say to them, politely, in an E-mail "Hey! I'm real interested in your new game, Dead Space 2. But I just can't make a decision on buying it unless I've played it - trailers don't do it for me! If you don't have plans for a demo, or some sort of trial, I can't really risk $60." (Same sort of thing for price)

When you pirate a game, that doesn't get any messages to anyone in the studios, except the (somewhat erroneous) "lost sale". You also make things much harder for other PC gamers, and PC developers.

kyle; it is also quite easy to contact EA support if you happen to have gone through that much. As has been said NUMEROUS times in this thread, they tend to believe your story.

It doesn't send a message to anybody but yet some how hurts other companies? how can that be?
post #69 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains View Post
not bothered about it at all, I never install my games on a friends computer and always have my steam folder backed up on my file server so a simple copy and paste gets my games back
I know, jesus, get over it. DRM exists because douchebag's steal. End of discussion, convince pirates to stop stealing then DRM is not necessary.

Laws exist because people act stupid without them.
Snowdevil
(16 items)
 
ASUS G750JM
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz (1.186v)] [Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
[G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2133 MHz] [Crucial MX100 256GB] [Phanteks PH-TC12DX] [Win 10.1 Pro] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
[LG 29UM65 (2560x1080)] [QNIX Evo II LED (2560x1440)] [WASD v2 Tenkeyless] [NZXT Hale90 v2 ] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
[ThermalTake GT10 Snow Edition] [Razer Mamba - Chroma] [Razer Kabuto] [Razer Man O' War] 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770HQ Intel HM87 Express Chipset Geforce GTX 860M 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD EVO DVD-RW Stock Windows 8.1 
Monitor
1920x1080 TN 
  hide details  
Reply
Snowdevil
(16 items)
 
ASUS G750JM
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz (1.186v)] [Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] [nVidia Geforce GTX 1080] 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
[G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2133 MHz] [Crucial MX100 256GB] [Phanteks PH-TC12DX] [Win 10.1 Pro] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
[LG 29UM65 (2560x1080)] [QNIX Evo II LED (2560x1440)] [WASD v2 Tenkeyless] [NZXT Hale90 v2 ] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
[ThermalTake GT10 Snow Edition] [Razer Mamba - Chroma] [Razer Kabuto] [Razer Man O' War] 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770HQ Intel HM87 Express Chipset Geforce GTX 860M 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD EVO DVD-RW Stock Windows 8.1 
Monitor
1920x1080 TN 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;12145100 
It doesn't send a message to anybody but yet some how hurts other companies? how can that be?

It's kind of a complex factor, but generally, when more and more developers turn to console games, it becomes harder to find support for your game, as publishers find PC gaming to be a less and less profitable enterprise. Plus, the more piracy developers are contending with, the more they may decide to go to console development themselves.
If you think this "barren wasteland of PC gaming" theory is a distant fairy tale, you may wish to take a look at the mac. This article sort of covers what some would say were the last dying gasps of mac gaming (thankfully on its way back up somewhat since then)
Quote:
When I asked [Mac developer] Tamte what game publishers can do to staunch the flow, he gave a telling answer: Shift development to platforms where piracy is less of a problem like game consoles.

To put it bluntly (though a little inaccurately), when you pirate a game, you're making PC gaming less and less profitable for people - no matter your final intentions with that pirated product. When PC gaming isn't profitable, no matter how much the developer makes games for fun, they just can't survive there.
Calvin
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40Ghz ASUS Z87-A eVGA GTX 670 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD + 2TB internal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Two of them! Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
Calvin
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40Ghz ASUS Z87-A eVGA GTX 670 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD + 2TB internal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Two of them! Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › WARNING: Dead Space 2 DRM Install limit