Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Intel Pentium 4/D & Celeron/D owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel Pentium 4/D & Celeron/D owner's Thread - Page 29

post #281 of 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxwell View Post
Don't really know what I should do with it, any suggestions?
You're posting in an overclocking community. I think the answer's pretty obvious


In other news, I think I might've made a major screw-up when buying my PSU. No Idea why I didn't notice this earlier. It has 2 12v rails - a 14A and a 15A rail. The problem is... The mobo, the sata connectors, the molexes, even the 6-pin PCI-e connector... Everything's sitting on 12V1, which is the 14A rail. The 15A 12V2 rail goes only to the 4-pin connector, for which I can't think of any use whatsoever. Does anyone know what it is for? I always thought that it came as an extra; e.g. older mobos like mine have a 20-pin connection port, but the newer ones have 24 pins, so I figured that some PSUs had 20+4 to compensate for that lack of pins. However, this assumption of mine was shattered by the fact, that my PSU actually has a 24-pin mobo connector PLUS the 4-pin one. In short, 24+4.
Thus, I repeat: what the hell?
Edited by Hyoketsu - 3/27/11 at 4:43am
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX6850 E0 3.60GHz @1.45v Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Gigabyte R6870 OC 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Lite-On iHAS122 CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer X243H 24" Microsoft SideWinder x4 Chieftec BPS-650C 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Aerocool X-Warrior Black Edition Steelseries Kana Skyrim-pad Asus Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Creative Inspire T3100 PS3 controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 HT Northwood 3.4 @ 3.5GHz ASRock P4i48 Club3D Radeon HD4670 AGP 1GB 2x1GB PQI DDR400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG HD320LJ 320GB SATA Lite-On iHAS122 Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 795mb 17" Microsoft Internet Keyboard Gigabyte GE-R460-V1 460W Caseless 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech RX1000 Generic black mouse pad Onboard Creative Inspire T3100 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX6850 E0 3.60GHz @1.45v Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Gigabyte R6870 OC 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Lite-On iHAS122 CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer X243H 24" Microsoft SideWinder x4 Chieftec BPS-650C 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Aerocool X-Warrior Black Edition Steelseries Kana Skyrim-pad Asus Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Creative Inspire T3100 PS3 controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 HT Northwood 3.4 @ 3.5GHz ASRock P4i48 Club3D Radeon HD4670 AGP 1GB 2x1GB PQI DDR400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG HD320LJ 320GB SATA Lite-On iHAS122 Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 795mb 17" Microsoft Internet Keyboard Gigabyte GE-R460-V1 460W Caseless 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech RX1000 Generic black mouse pad Onboard Creative Inspire T3100 
  hide details  
Reply
post #282 of 761
This?

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...s.html#atx12v4

It's for the CPU. Every ATX 2.0 and later PSU has them, and almost every "modern" motherboard (as in about the last ten years) utilizes it. That's the norm for some of the supposed dual +12V rail PSUs. One is for the CPU, and the other is for everything else.

What PSU is it? 14A is 168W, which minus the CPU, should cover everything else. It actually doesn't work exactly like that, since even though it has a 14A and 15A virtual split, it likely doesn't have 29A total, so it's less than 14A (164W) for the rest, but going on that, it might be okay. It depends though. If it was just the Radeon 9600 and a single hard drive or so drawing from the 12V source other than the CPU, that's likely be enough. A GPU upgrade might prove questionable though.
post #283 of 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Garnet View Post
Ouch. My GeForce 6800GS AGP went up to ~76C-ish at most, so it should be fine, but I uninstalled Crysis for now and won't be playing it on it anyway. I'm more surprised at the fact that it didn't have a thermal sensor.
I was surprised too, especially given it's not an entry-level card. The 7600GS has a thermal sensor and also wouldn't go over 75 something degrees (and it's passively cooled, which means I have to plan the airflow inside the box with caution.

I will try to fix it. If not, I'll go back to the 7600GS for now. It serves as a double purpose as I'm not 100% sure it's the GPU's fault.
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
post #284 of 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyoketsu View Post
You're posting in an overclocking community. I think the answer's pretty obvious


In other news, I think I might've made a major screw-up when buying my PSU. No Idea why I didn't notice this earlier. It has 2 12v rails - a 14A and a 15A rail. The problem is... The mobo, the sata connectors, the molexes, even the 6-pin PCI-e connector... Everything's sitting on 12V1, which is the 14A rail. The 15A 12V2 rail goes only to the 4-pin connector, for which I can't think of any use whatsoever. Does anyone know what it is for? I always thought that it came as an extra; e.g. older mobos like mine have a 20-pin connection port, but the newer ones have 24 pins, so I figured that some PSUs had 20+4 to compensate for that lack of pins. However, this assumption of mine was shattered by the fact, that my PSU actually has a 24-pin mobo connector PLUS the 4-pin one. In short, 24+4.
Thus, I repeat: what the hell?

That is for the CPU. Didn't your motherboard and previous PSU have one such connection ? That would be odd. With the power requirements of the Pentium 4, I guess almost all need a dedicated supply of power via those 4 pins.

In the Pentium 3 days that did not exist. I have a Pentium 3 motherboard with a Pentium 3 1Ghz and it does not feature that, it only has the 20 pin. But then again the Pentium 3's Coppermine had a TDP below 30w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Garnet View Post
This?

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...s.html#atx12v4

It's for the CPU. Every ATX 2.0 and later PSU has them, and almost every "modern" motherboard (as in about the last ten years) utilizes it. That's the norm for some of the supposed dual +12V rail PSUs. One is for the CPU, and the other is for everything else.

What PSU is it? 14A is 168W, which minus the CPU, should cover everything else. It actually doesn't work exactly like that, since even though it has a 14A and 15A virtual split, it likely doesn't have 29A total, so it's less than 14A (164W) for the rest, but going on that, it might be okay. It depends though. If it was just the Radeon 9600 and a single hard drive or so drawing from the 12V source other than the CPU, that's likely be enough. A GPU upgrade might prove questionable though.
Completely agree!

And Rep+ for that excellent link!

If my legacy Compaq Presario CDS 720 PSU from 1995 ever dies, I now know that kind of power connector is not something proprietary but actually from a different standard (doesn't necessarily make my life in replacing the PSU easier though LOL).
Edited by tpi2007 - 3/27/11 at 10:25am
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
post #285 of 761
I've had my Pentium D 925 for ages now. We've been through a lot of ups and downs together
post #286 of 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
That is for the CPU. Didn't your motherboard and previous PSU have one such connection ? That would be odd. With the power requirements of the Pentium 4, I guess almost all need a dedicated supply of power via those 4 pins.
That's the problem - my mobo has no additional 4-pin connection port.
Oh, and what concerns the wattage, according to the specs, this PSU (sig PSU, if you were wondering) can actually draw all of those 29 amps - 348W total on the 12V rails.

Looks like the necessity for a mobo upgrade just received a higher priority rating
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX6850 E0 3.60GHz @1.45v Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Gigabyte R6870 OC 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Lite-On iHAS122 CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer X243H 24" Microsoft SideWinder x4 Chieftec BPS-650C 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Aerocool X-Warrior Black Edition Steelseries Kana Skyrim-pad Asus Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Creative Inspire T3100 PS3 controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 HT Northwood 3.4 @ 3.5GHz ASRock P4i48 Club3D Radeon HD4670 AGP 1GB 2x1GB PQI DDR400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG HD320LJ 320GB SATA Lite-On iHAS122 Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 795mb 17" Microsoft Internet Keyboard Gigabyte GE-R460-V1 460W Caseless 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech RX1000 Generic black mouse pad Onboard Creative Inspire T3100 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX6850 E0 3.60GHz @1.45v Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Gigabyte R6870 OC 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Lite-On iHAS122 CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit Acer X243H 24" Microsoft SideWinder x4 Chieftec BPS-650C 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Aerocool X-Warrior Black Edition Steelseries Kana Skyrim-pad Asus Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Creative Inspire T3100 PS3 controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 HT Northwood 3.4 @ 3.5GHz ASRock P4i48 Club3D Radeon HD4670 AGP 1GB 2x1GB PQI DDR400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG HD320LJ 320GB SATA Lite-On iHAS122 Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 795mb 17" Microsoft Internet Keyboard Gigabyte GE-R460-V1 460W Caseless 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech RX1000 Generic black mouse pad Onboard Creative Inspire T3100 
  hide details  
Reply
post #287 of 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyoketsu View Post
That's the problem - my mobo has no additional 4-pin connection port.
Oh, and what concerns the wattage, according to the specs, this PSU (sig PSU, if you were wondering) can actually draw all of those 29 amps - 348W total on the 12V rails.

Looks like the necessity for a mobo upgrade just received a higher priority rating
I couldn't believe it and just went to AsRocks's site to check, it really doesn't!

That surely adds to the fact why you can't overclock.

Yeah, I guess you should. But hey, now that you have that chance, don't go for anything less, 875P all the way! 875P has Intel's Performance Acceleration Technology (PAT) enabled on the Northbridge, which enhanced the performance of the RAM. THe 865 chipset doesn't have that feature (it does, but it's turned off and can't be enabled - it's a binning question - at least they said so)
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
post #288 of 761
It is a bit ironic that you can actually get DX11 on a Pentium 4 with our motherboards... wait, what ?, you ask, "No, the last card made for AGP" is the HD4670, which is only DX10.1 compliant."

Well, yes, but who is talking about AGP ? Hehehehe.

Meet the Powercolor HD5450 PCI card.

So, technically, you get to have Direct Compute and Tessellation on even an old Pentium 3 1 GHz with Windows Vista or Windows 7 installed. How about that ?

You could even try installing this card on something like a Pentium (with Windows XP, of course).. or even a 486 PCI based motherboard (with a Pentium Overdrive 83Mhz, because Windows XP needs a Pentium to run, and previous OS'es don't have drivers). Not sure what PCI version the graphics card requires, but the mere possibility is just so amazing that it's almost unbelievable.

So, will they ever release a DX11 GPU for AGP ? Now that would be interesting. In all seriousness, I wonder who buys these cards? Office PC's that only have PCI expansion slots generally have on-board graphics that are probably enough... or not ? Maybe not, in some cases, but the bandwidth of the PCI bus is only 133MB/s... hey, at least you get bragging rights
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
post #289 of 761
That is indeed strange. I didn't think Pentium 4 boards without that connection were around. My ASRock, which is even more budget than yours appears to be (though ASRock by nature is budget all around), an ASRock P4i65G, even has that 4 pin +12V connector for the CPU.

In any case, if the motherboard lacks it, the PSU is still fine. It doesn't have to be plugged in if the motherboard doesn't need it.

However, that raises to concern the previous PSU you were running though. If it didn't have that connector, it was likely an ATX 1.x design, and ATX before v2.x didn't prioritize the +12V rail, of which modern PCs (Pentium 4 and later) did more and more. SO, I'd say it's good you're not running it off of whatever you were before. Even many PSUs with that 4 pin connector are literally just ATX 1.3v PSUs with the connector added on, and not true ATX 2.x PSUs, so if yours lacked it entirely, I don't even want to think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Yeah, I guess you should. But hey, now that you have that chance, don't go for anything less, 875P all the way! 875P has Intel's Performance Acceleration Technology (PAT) enabled on the Northbridge, which enhanced the performance of the RAM. THe 865 chipset doesn't have that feature (it does, but it's turned off and can't be enabled - it's a binning question - at least they said so)
On my old 865G chipset (on a Dell motherboard, no less), it seemed to have PAT. I can't recall which of the following was the condition exactly, but I was running either 4 modules at 333MHz instead of the maximum 400MHz, or I was running 2 modules instead of 4, but under one of those conditions, Everest showed PAT as enabled. I remember because once I used 4 modules at 400MHz, it disabled it, and it was only then that I looked up what it was (to find out why it may have been disabled). Looking it up, it seemed some boards/BIOS did have it under some situations, but Intel didn't condone it.
post #290 of 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Garnet View Post
That is indeed strange. I didn't think Pentium 4 boards without that connection were around. My ASRock, which is even more budget than yours appears to be (though ASRock by nature is budget all around), an ASRock P4i65G, even has that 4 pin +12V connector for the CPU.

In any case, if the motherboard lacks it, the PSU is still fine. It doesn't have to be plugged in if the motherboard doesn't need it.

However, that raises to concern the previous PSU you were running though. If it didn't have that connector, it was likely an ATX 1.x design, and ATX before v2.x didn't prioritize the +12V rail, of which modern PCs (Pentium 4 and later) did more and more. SO, I'd say it's good you're not running it off of whatever you were before. Even many PSUs with that 4 pin connector are literally just ATX 1.3v PSUs with the connector added on, and not true ATX 2.x PSUs, so if yours lacked it entirely, I don't even want to think about it.On my old 865G chipset (on a Dell motherboard, no less), it seemed to have PAT. I can't recall which of the following was the condition exactly, but I was running either 4 modules at 333MHz instead of the maximum 400MHz, or I was running 2 modules instead of 4, but under one of those conditions, Everest showed PAT as enabled. I remember because once I used 4 modules at 400MHz, it disabled it, and it was only then that I looked up what it was (to find out why it may have been disabled). Looking it up, it seemed some boards/BIOS did have it under some situations, but Intel didn't condone it.
Actually your motherboard is better than his.

His Motherboard has the same chipset as mine - the 848p, which is essentially an 865 with single channel memory. Yours is an 865G Chipset, which is an 865 with onboard graphics + AGP slot.

Hmm, that thing about PAT being enabled in some 865 boards is interesting - but apparently it doesn't work always then - looks like the binning process can actually be right - perhaps the 857P boards are good enough to always have it on.
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Intel Pentium 4/D & Celeron/D owner's Thread