Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

I am in the process of building my very first gaming rig plus i will be using it heavily for multi-tasking with multiple applications. Also plan to install VMware with RedHat Linux plus some databases for self study.
I have been researching a lot infact since six to eight months now.

Plan to build a Sandy Bridge 2600K setup with asus delux mobo or rampage IV ROG.
Various articles have mentioned that a higher frequency of ram helps in multi-tasking on a sandy bridge setup plus lower cas latency also helps.
I plan to install memory on all the given four lots i.e. 4x4= 16gb.
For this i plan to install this memory.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231315

What is ur take on this, dont get fooled by the quad channel mentioned on the site, reviewers on the feedback mention that there is no Quad channel, period. It's a pairing of the dual channels.

A single stick will run single channel, dual channel will pair 2 sticks together to work simultaneously. QUAD takes both DUAL channels and works them together simultaneously. This is merely a kit of 4 single 4gb sticks of RAM that is designed to work 2 4gb sticks in a dual channel together.

Also its a little bit bit expensive cos, they are matched memory sticks and tested to work together properly.

What is ur take on this? will it work with sandy bridge 2600K??
Edited by holyindian - 1/25/11 at 2:21am
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
Hi all,

I am in the process of building my very first gaming rig plus i will be using it heavily for multi-tasking with multiple applications. Also plan to install VMware with RedHat Linux plus some databases for self study.
I have been researching a lot infact since six to eight months now.

Plan to build a Sandy Bridge 2600K setup with asus delux mobo or rampage IV ROG.
Various articles have mentioned that a higher frequency of ram helps in multi-tasking on a sandy bridge setup plus lower cas latency also helps.
I plan to install memory on all the given four lots i.e. 4x4= 16gb.
For this i plan to install this memory.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231315

What is ur take on this, dont get fooled by the quad channel mentioned on the site, reviewers on the feedback mention that there is no Quad channel, period. It's a pairing of the dual channels.

A single stick will run single channel, dual channel will pair 2 sticks together to work simultaneously. QUAD takes both DUAL channels and works them together simultaneously. This is merely a kit of 4 single 4gb sticks of RAM that is designed to work 2 4gb sticks in a dual channel together.

Also its a little bit bit expensive cos, they are matched memory sticks and tested to work together properly.

What is ur take on this? will it work with sandy bridge 2600K??
Woohoo! What's the big overkill on the RAM for? lol, 16GB is mainly used by people who going to do alot of photo editing, 8GB is enough to get you future proofed for now :thumbs:
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Infact found a new one.
This is specifically designed for the sandy bridge mobo. P67

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
Designed for Intel P67 motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231429

What say?? Anyone using it??
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomfix View Post
Woohoo! What's the big overkill on the RAM for? lol, 16GB is mainly used by people who going to do alot of photo editing, 8GB is enough to get you future proofed for now :thumbs:
Thanks for ur reply mate, thats what i said. This is not entirely a gaming rig. INfact i will be using the pc for heavy applications use, multi-tasking.. vmware plus linux and oracle databases.. lots of photoshop and video editing. plus hosting home automation software.. so lots will be going on this.
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
Thanks for ur reply mate, thats what i said. This is not entirely a gaming rig. INfact i will be using the pc for heavy applications use, multi-tasking.. vmware plus linux and oracle databases.. lots of photoshop and video editing. plus hosting home automation software.. so lots will be going on this.
Fair enough :thumbs: and yeah, that's some good RAM, what's your full PC spec that your building?
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomfix View Post
Fair enough :thumbs: and yeah, that's some good RAM, what's your full PC spec that your building?
Yea this looks good.. plus that there is an assurance by G.Skill that all the four modules are matching and is compatible with P67 mobo's. Its hard to get exactly matching modules if you buy separately in 2x2 batches of 4gb sets.

These are the specs.

CPU : i7 2600K (already brought from MicroCenter for a good discount)
Mobo : Asus Deluxe (not brought yet, any other suggestions.. how is Asus Maximus IV??
RAM : Considering the above one.
Cooling : Thermalright Silver Arrow (this one beat the monster Noctua NH-D14, and is the best in the market as of date, already brought this.)
PSU : Corsair Professional series AX850W (already brought this).
GPU : 1 x EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR (or shud i go for SLI GTX 460 x 2?)
Case : Still not able to decide. Looking for a case which looks clean and sophisticated, has more hdd bays, has awesome air cooling and side glass window panel.
Was considering raven rv02 or ft02
Suggestions welcome
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
Yea this looks good.. plus that there is an assurance by G.Skill that all the four modules are matching and is compatible with P67 mobo's. Its hard to get exactly matching modules if you buy separately in 2x2 batches of 4gb sets.

These are the specs.

CPU : i7 2600K (already brought from MicroCenter for a good discount)
Mobo : Asus Deluxe (not brought yet, any other suggestions.. how is Asus Maximus IV??
RAM : Considering the above one.
Cooling : Thermalright Silver Arrow (this one beat the monster Noctua NH-D14, and is the best in the market as of date, already brought this.)
PSU : Corsair Professional series AX850W (already brought this).
GPU : 1 x EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR (or shud i go for SLI GTX 460 x 2?)
Case : Still not able to decide. Looking for a case which looks clean and sophisticated, has more hdd bays, has awesome air cooling and side glass window panel.
Was considering raven rv02 or ft02
Suggestions welcome
No point going in SLi with the 570 for a while, there's no point for now, but maybe in the next few months or next year, then maybe go SLi then

I use Coolermaster Storm Scout as my case which is more than enough for me, not sure how I'm going to fit my new ATI 6990 graphics card in there once it's released though.

And I have nearly the exact same RAM and it works just fine on my AMD X6 system
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Anymore suggestions guys??
post #9 of 18
At 1600 speeds you can run those 8-9-8 1T. Due to the size of the chips it won't run tighter timing wise.

A big fat ramdisk + content creation = win, but that's just me.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
So you think that this is a good ram for P67 Mobo for Sandy Bridge setup?? right!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231429

With the Newegg promo code DM15A0111US (that is there for their weekly deals) for memory module.. i am getting additional discount of 37 dollars off.. so finally the 16gb ram is 218 dollars shipped.
I am about to drop the ball.. i just hope this is a good module and a good deal for sandy bridge setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL