Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Audiophiles LOOK HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audiophiles LOOK HERE! - Page 3

post #21 of 37
Thread Starter 
how about Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 they may not be as high end but they seem very portable and have gotten decent reviews?
post #22 of 37
Out of all the recommendations mentioned above, the ones by Chinesekiwi and thecheeseofmanynames and any Audio Techica ATH-M50 recommendations are the only valid ones for the music genres mentioned in the first post.

The HD555 is a poor choice for hip-hop and rap. Some rock will sound alright but the HD555 (along with its older sibling HD595) isn't really the type of headphone that give you the oomph for any fast-paced genre. It's a soft headphone with the ability to do well in jazz and classical. The benefits pretty much stop there.

Now, on the topic of Grados: Yes, they're great for rock but no, not great at all for anything that places a lot of emphasis on deep bass. Open headphones (HD555, AD700, SR-60/80i) traditionally are NOT suited for deep bass with lots of impact.

The Audio Technica ATH-ES7 is a decent sounding portable headphone with a comfort problem. It clamps hard and will hurt your ears after about a half hour. It's also not completely circumaural, which means noise will leak into your ears.

Two recommendations I want to add to the list:
Creative Aurvana Live (same as a Denon AH-D1001) - $100 on Amazon
Denon AH-D1100 - $120 on Amazon

Both are closed back, comfortable and will complement your genres quite well.

Note: I have heard the AD700, ES7, Denon D1001, Grado SR-60i, SR-80i, SR225, and HD555 extensively and still own the HD595.
Edited by RallyMaster - 1/27/11 at 6:51pm
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 37
sub'd
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
No.


The 280Pro and SRH440 are recording headphones.
They're actually professional studio headphones, I've used them in clubs (I mix Dubstep) and loud environments and because of the noise cancellation I can't hear anything but the bass.

Sure, the Senn HD280s don't have the best bass... But I got them for $82 on eBay, and bass isn't everything. The quality of the headphones including sound quality is amazing.
post #25 of 37
I listen to metal with my 595's. Sounds awesome.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
No.

The 280Pro and SRH440 are recording headphones. Which means the frequency response is completely neutral, resulting in little bass. They also do nothing to mask flaws in the recordings, so things like sibilants ("s" sounds) if not fixed by the audio engineer will feel like your brain is being pulled out by your ears with a rusty hook.

Having tried both, I wouldn't recommend either to anyone, regardless of their tastes in music, because you'll likely end up having to remaster your entire music library.

Go with the HD 555s. The SR-80i's have excellent bass, but it might be a little too clean for your music tastes.
Saying 'No' is right but the reason for it are flawed. 'recording' and 'neutral' headphones can be used for music listening and the like. Both are not mutually exclusive thing nor should ever be considered as such. Some headphones are better for monitoring but that doesn't mean that they can't be used for music listening.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post
They're actually professional studio headphones, I've used them in clubs (I mix Dubstep) and loud environments and because of the noise cancellation I can't hear anything but the bass.

Sure, the Senn HD280s don't have the best bass... But I got them for $82 on eBay, and bass isn't everything. The quality of the headphones including sound quality is amazing.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
Saying 'No' is right but the reason for it are flawed. 'recording' and 'neutral' headphones can be used for music listening and the like. Both are not mutually exclusive thing nor should ever be considered as such. Some headphones are better for monitoring but that doesn't mean that they can't be used for music listening.

This. I use the HD280 because I want a clear sound stage with a neutral feel. I want to hear the music the way it was made and not with emphasis on bass. But that is up to the personal preference of the OP since everyone wants something different. From all the suggestions I think the ATH-M50's would be best.
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
Saying 'No' is right but the reason for it are flawed. 'recording' and 'neutral' headphones can be used for music listening and the like. Both are not mutually exclusive thing nor should ever be considered as such. Some headphones are better for monitoring but that doesn't mean that they can't be used for music listening.
I mean no, because if the OP is even the least bit sensitive to sibilant tones then he will hate them.

Sound quality is pretty decent, aside from the part where it causes physical pain. I went into Tom Lee to test out headphones, and I managed about 15 seconds of listening with the 280s before I started wincing at every S sound.

For non-vocal tracks its fine, but otherwise I would stay well away.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 37
Audio-Technica ATH-D40FS

About 130. Excellent for big bass.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 | 3.8GHz @ 1.175v Asus P6X58D Premium Evga/Asus GTX480 SLI | 825MHz 6GB Patriot Gamer Series 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 80GB SSD | Seagate 300GB | 2xWD 2TB Asus DVD-RW Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung 2233RZ | 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend 105 Ice Seasonic X-850 Lian Li PC-A71F Logitech G5 Laser 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 | 3.8GHz @ 1.175v Asus P6X58D Premium Evga/Asus GTX480 SLI | 825MHz 6GB Patriot Gamer Series 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 80GB SSD | Seagate 300GB | 2xWD 2TB Asus DVD-RW Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung 2233RZ | 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend 105 Ice Seasonic X-850 Lian Li PC-A71F Logitech G5 Laser 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
I mean no, because if the OP is even the least bit sensitive to sibilant tones then he will hate them.

Sound quality is pretty decent, aside from the part where it causes physical pain. I went into Tom Lee to test out headphones, and I managed about 15 seconds of listening with the 280s before I started wincing at every S sound.

For non-vocal tracks its fine, but otherwise I would stay well away.
First you say no because they're "recording headphones" and then when multiple people prove you wrong you say you can't last more than 15 seconds? Lol, you're overreacting a ridiculous amount.

Sure, everyone has different preferences and tolerance levels with headphones, but 15 seconds and then "physical pain" occurs? C'mon man, that's just bull crap.
Edited by pjBSOD - 1/28/11 at 1:27am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Audiophiles LOOK HERE!