Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [FUD]Bulldozer hints at 3.5GHz 8MB L3 and Turbo 2.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[FUD]Bulldozer hints at 3.5GHz 8MB L3 and Turbo 2.0 - Page 11

post #101 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbulb;12282881 
it's over, intel is finished.

I see what you did there ninja.gif
Dunno
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3550 Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 MSI HD7850 1GB Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x2GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x4GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb Intel 330 60Gb SSD Scythe Mugen 2 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 8 Pro Acer AL2416W Samsung 940n Chieftec 750w 
Case
Thermaltake V4 
  hide details  
Reply
Dunno
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3550 Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 MSI HD7850 1GB Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x2GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x4GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb Intel 330 60Gb SSD Scythe Mugen 2 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 8 Pro Acer AL2416W Samsung 940n Chieftec 750w 
Case
Thermaltake V4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 136
^^^
+1 - I entirely agree, Intel has really botched things up. They don't have anything on the low end, next to some antiquities like the Pentiums they are still cranking out. They "announced" a two-core Atom, but that has never made it to any practical machine in the market. They have nothing that can compete with ARM at all.

On the high end, Sandy Bridge has been a major disappointment. People were expecting something new and fresh, especially with all of the hype Intel put out there. But when it came out, it was nothing more than reheats of the i5 and i7 stuff - which is a big yawn, because the market really wants the i9 and i11 stuff that Intel announced but has never released. Then they botch that by putting out defective products.

Of course, defects happen, but I bet a lot of the stuff will remain in the market because people won't bother replacing it - which will keep resale values of Sandy Bridge really, really low. Like I wouldn't buy a used one because you can not check the "stepping" of the chip set by visual inspection. Not to mention that Sandy Bridge is fairly weak and not worth the massive price premium.

But then, this stuff is nothing compared to the marketing damage done by Intel, when they insist on stiffing their systems with nasty Intel integrated video - which makes their machinery look terrible just because the video output is slow, resource hogging garbage.

Hopefully, Bulldozer will be done right - and hopefully, some manufacturers will actually use AMD. That is a real problem now, many manufacturers are not using AMD at all. It is almost impossible to find a Neo based system, and I still haven't seen a Zacate or Bobcat based system - and there are few systems that come with Phenom II or Athlon II processors. It seems to me that AMD has been fairing better when it comes to selling motherboards and CPUs to hobbyists - and not so good at getting them into full machines that are ready to go.
Edited by EvanPitts - 2/6/11 at 8:57am
post #103 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts;12283216 
^^^
+1 - I entirely agree, Intel has really botched things up. They don't have anything on the low end, next to some antiquities like the Pentiums they are still cranking out. They "announced" a two-core Atom, but that has never made it to any practical machine in the market. They have nothing that can compete with ARM at all.

On the high end, Sandy Bridge has been a major disappointment. People were expecting something new and fresh, especially with all of the hype Intel put out there. But when it came out, it was nothing more than reheats of the i5 and i7 stuff - which is a big yawn, because the market really wants the i9 and i11 stuff that Intel announced but has never released. Then they botch that by putting out defective products.

Of course, defects happen, but I bet a lot of the stuff will remain in the market because people won't bother replacing it - which will keep resale values of Sandy Bridge really, really low. Like I wouldn't buy a used one because you can not check the "stepping" of the chip set by visual inspection. Not to mention that Sandy Bridge is fairly weak and not worth the massive price premium.

But then, this stuff is nothing compared to the marketing damage done by Intel, when they insist on stiffing their systems with nasty Intel integrated video - which makes their machinery look terrible just because the video output is slow, resource hogging garbage.

Hopefully, Bulldozer will be done right - and hopefully, some manufacturers will actually use AMD. That is a real problem now, many manufacturers are not using AMD at all. It is almost impossible to find a Neo based system, and I still haven't seen a Zacate or Bobcat based system - and there are few systems that come with Phenom II or Athlon II processors. It seems to me that AMD has been fairing better when it comes to selling motherboards and CPUs to hobbyists - and not so good at getting them into full machines that are ready to go.
i9 was released...they just scrapped the i9 and dubbed it in the i7 980x.

Honestly, there's not really any marketing damage done to Intel right now per se. It's just that it's impossible to sell their CPU's that only fit into their chipsets which have problems. You can't use the chip without the motherboard so this is just a massive setback of a couple of months but once it's back out and about, everything will go back to normal.

However, I will agree that I just didn't get the hype on SB at all. For all intents and purposes, it's a great upgrade over the current i5 / P55 generation chips from Intel but for most of the people that had i7 / X58 chips, it was like a sidestep. Clock for clock, less than 10% maximum Integer core performance and less than 15% maximum FPU performance. I personally would have expected more from Intel but I guess because it's considered their mainstream line up, it can be justified.

However, I'll just buy AMD anyway as I just don't buy Intel. So here's to BD getting released and my money paying for a new desktop to replace the one I built last year biggrin.gif
Kamtastic II
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H Visiontek 4850 512MB Reference 8GB A-Data DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750GB Caviar Black Currently Samsung 20x SH2022 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung Synchmaster 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 OCZ 700w GameXStream Thermaltake V9 Black Edition Razer Copperhead 
  hide details  
Reply
Kamtastic II
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H Visiontek 4850 512MB Reference 8GB A-Data DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750GB Caviar Black Currently Samsung 20x SH2022 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung Synchmaster 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 OCZ 700w GameXStream Thermaltake V9 Black Edition Razer Copperhead 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by innermoon;12281671 
idiots aways come out BS-ing before some new thing come out, that include GPU, CPU even the president. (Remember what people said about Obama?)

It was all true lol tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLowEnd;12261023 
The current chipsets have a problem where the SATA 3gb/s ports degrade

I was wondering about the whole sandy bridge thing. I have been hearing that they had some problems, and someone around here said this is going to be a really bad lineup or something. I just fail to see how, seeing as how its not even out yet. Its doubtful they release it like that..

As for the the Bulldozer... eh, I'm going to have to wait and see. All too aften AMD talks a big game, and then falls short when its time to deliver. Don't get me wrong I hope its great cause if it is I'll be considering building my new rig based on it. I just know AMD's history with talking something up like its going to be something special, and it turns out that its just barely above average, if that. So we'll wait and see. Don't get your hopes up though.
Edited by Bennylava - 2/6/11 at 10:59am
Aging System:
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E8400 @ 4.0Ghz (1.400v) 24/7 EVGA 750i FTW Nvidia GTX 570 (EVGA) 4Gb (2x2Gb) Kingston Hyperx 1066 5-4-4-12-18@1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
640Gb WD Black. 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit 24" ASUS LED $12 Wal-mart Special-Logitech 
PowerCaseMouse
1200w Silverstone StriderST Lancool Microsoft Trackball Optical-D67-000117 
  hide details  
Reply
Aging System:
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E8400 @ 4.0Ghz (1.400v) 24/7 EVGA 750i FTW Nvidia GTX 570 (EVGA) 4Gb (2x2Gb) Kingston Hyperx 1066 5-4-4-12-18@1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
640Gb WD Black. 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit 24" ASUS LED $12 Wal-mart Special-Logitech 
PowerCaseMouse
1200w Silverstone StriderST Lancool Microsoft Trackball Optical-D67-000117 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by onoz;12201818 
I do the same. I upgrade when my *favorite game at the moment* can't run at a decent FPS, then I look into upgrading.

Speaking of which, this should be soon, since my Athlon II is holding back SC2.

how is that possible? i see in your sig you're running a 620. i have an athlon II 630, overclocked to 3.5ghz and i have played over 1,000 league games in SC2 (diamond in all leagues). i have NEVER, not even once, felt that my computer was holding me back or unable to keep up.
post #106 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava;12284308 
It was all true lol tongue.gif



I was wondering about the whole sandy bridge thing. I have been hearing that they had some problems, and someone around here said this is going to be a really bad lineup or something. I just fail to see how, seeing as how its not even out yet. Its doubtful they release it like that..

As for the the Bulldozer... eh, I'm going to have to wait and see. All too aften AMD talks a big game, and then falls short when its time to deliver. Don't get me wrong I hope its great cause if it is I'll be considering building my new rig based on it. I just know AMD's history with talking something up like its going to be something special, and it turns out that its just barely above average, if that. So we'll wait and see. Don't get your hopes up though.
Sandy bridge has been out for quite some time. All motherboards for Sandy Bridge had chips from Intel that were faulty, causing that SATA port deterioration. Every single person who bought a Sandy CPU now has the option to send it back their motherboard back (not their processor,) or keep a defective product that will eventually degrade. Even after all this is fixed, Sandy's resale value is null; it's lose-lose for Sandy owners of today, and tomorrow.
I was lucky enough to get to cancel my order before I got it.

Oh, and as far as AMD not delivering on the hype it makes for itself; you've got to think. AMD hasn't made claims in the top end market forever. But, products like the 965 were just as exciting. The value they offered at the price range they were in was ridiculously good. I know we all want to see AMD smash Intel in the high end market, but that wasn't a smart move for them at the time, because they'd just lose.

Now, things are different.
Trash Box
(15 items)
 
 
G73JH-A1
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.4GHz Asus P6X58D-E Gigabyte 8GB GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 24GB Corsair Dominators 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x256GB C300's R0 1TB Samsung 850 Pro ASUS MG279Q, Catleap Q270 G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV-02 G9x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE 125W Asus M4A77D Asus 5770 Cucore 4GB Kingston 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
2x750GB Seagates 22x LG DVD-RW w7 Ultimate 64-bit  G15 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430W 80+ Antec New Solution NSK6580B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
720QM AsusTek Mobility HD5870 8GB Kingston 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB C300/500GB Seagate Bluray Combo w7 Ultimate 64-bit 17'' 1080P 
Case
G73JH-A1 
  hide details  
Reply
Trash Box
(15 items)
 
 
G73JH-A1
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.4GHz Asus P6X58D-E Gigabyte 8GB GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 24GB Corsair Dominators 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x256GB C300's R0 1TB Samsung 850 Pro ASUS MG279Q, Catleap Q270 G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV-02 G9x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE 125W Asus M4A77D Asus 5770 Cucore 4GB Kingston 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
2x750GB Seagates 22x LG DVD-RW w7 Ultimate 64-bit  G15 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430W 80+ Antec New Solution NSK6580B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
720QM AsusTek Mobility HD5870 8GB Kingston 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB C300/500GB Seagate Bluray Combo w7 Ultimate 64-bit 17'' 1080P 
Case
G73JH-A1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava;12284308 
I was wondering about the whole sandy bridge thing. I have been hearing that they had some problems, and someone around here said this is going to be a really bad lineup or something. I just fail to see how, seeing as how its not even out yet. Its doubtful they release it like that..

That's where you are wrong.

SB was released in early January.
The SATA issue was discovered near the end of January
GE60
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5 4200M Geforce GTX760M 750GB WD Scorpio Black Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
15.6" CM Quickfire Rapid CM Xornet Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
GE60
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5 4200M Geforce GTX760M 750GB WD Scorpio Black Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
15.6" CM Quickfire Rapid CM Xornet Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts;12283216 
^^^
+1 - I entirely agree, Intel has really botched things up. They don't have anything on the low end, next to some antiquities like the Pentiums they are still cranking out. They "announced" a two-core Atom, but that has never made it to any practical machine in the market. They have nothing that can compete with ARM at all.

On the high end, Sandy Bridge has been a major disappointment. People were expecting something new and fresh, especially with all of the hype Intel put out there. But when it came out, it was nothing more than reheats of the i5 and i7 stuff - which is a big yawn, because the market really wants the i9 and i11 stuff that Intel announced but has never released. Then they botch that by putting out defective products.


Of course, defects happen, but I bet a lot of the stuff will remain in the market because people won't bother replacing it - which will keep resale values of Sandy Bridge really, really low. Like I wouldn't buy a used one because you can not check the "stepping" of the chip set by visual inspection. Not to mention that Sandy Bridge is fairly weak and not worth the massive price premium.

But then, this stuff is nothing compared to the marketing damage done by Intel, when they insist on stiffing their systems with nasty Intel integrated video - which makes their machinery look terrible just because the video output is slow, resource hogging garbage.

Hopefully, Bulldozer will be done right - and hopefully, some manufacturers will actually use AMD. That is a real problem now, many manufacturers are not using AMD at all. It is almost impossible to find a Neo based system, and I still haven't seen a Zacate or Bobcat based system - and there are few systems that come with Phenom II or Athlon II processors. It seems to me that AMD has been fairing better when it comes to selling motherboards and CPUs to hobbyists - and not so good at getting them into full machines that are ready to go.

Anyone who was following sandy bridge knew it was just optimizations on the old i5/i7 architecture along with moving to 32nm from 45nm. And what the hell are you talking about its fairly weak and not worth the price premium? The i5-2500k was 200 dollars and it puts everything AMD has out at this time to shame in everything but encoding and even then the i7 closes the gap with hyper threading. Its a good 40-50% faster clock for clock than the phenom II's along with being able to hit higher clock speeds on air than phenom II's can do on water. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and just spewing fanboy garbage. That being said I hope bulldozer does great and puts the heat on intel. Competition is good for everyone and I might just have to switch over if they can beat the old 9xx series clock for clock along with having 8 cores.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #109 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF-AMD;12281522 
THIS

IS

NOT

TRUE


Let's not start spreading this rumor, okay? If there is actually "information" out there it is incredibly wrong.

PMSL! I can't believe the front of someone trying to start that, glad you've cleared that up JF. And no I don't think it's wrong to use such extreme caps when someone is deliberately attempting to spread misinformation and derail a new product line yet to be released.
Purpleannex
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Z68 Extreme4gen3 Gainward GTX 470 @ 740Mhz 8GB Mushkin Blackline LV (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz 9... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB Crucial M225 SSD 2 x 500gb 500GbB samsung 500GbB samsung Samsung SH-B083L 8x BD Combo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 64-bit LG W2486L LED 24" 1080p Antech True power new 750W FT-02 B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Purpleannex
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Z68 Extreme4gen3 Gainward GTX 470 @ 740Mhz 8GB Mushkin Blackline LV (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz 9... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB Crucial M225 SSD 2 x 500gb 500GbB samsung 500GbB samsung Samsung SH-B083L 8x BD Combo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 64-bit LG W2486L LED 24" 1080p Antech True power new 750W FT-02 B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamuiRSX;12283376 
i9 was released...they just scrapped the i9 and dubbed it in the i7 980x.

Probably because they could never get the proper performance to actually market it as an i9. Kind of like how they scrapped the P4 because in the end, it was a poor performer when compared to the PIII architecture that they continue to use. But that kind of stuff is nothing new for Intel, where it seems that marketing, rather than any actual engineering, comes up with the specifications.
Quote:
Honestly, there's not really any marketing damage done to Intel right now per se. It's just that it's impossible to sell their CPU's that only fit into their chipsets which have problems. You can't use the chip without the motherboard so this is just a massive setback of a couple of months but once it's back out and about, everything will go back to normal.

I think it could hurt Intel - if AMD can bring out a solid release of Bulldozer. AMD can also make inroads if it can get manufacturers to start using Bobcat, and Zacate, and other progressive minded developments. Of course, AMD also ends up hurt because they can't seem to get the manufacturers to offer any of their mainstream chips in regular, ready to go computers. I always wonder if this is an issue of some kind of collusion or payola scheme that Intel constructed?
Quote:
However, I will agree that I just didn't get the hype on SB at all. For all intents and purposes, it's a great upgrade over the current i5 / P55 generation chips from Intel but for most of the people that had i7 / X58 chips, it was like a sidestep.

Once the end product came out, I couldn't figure out the hype either. What I had hoped for was that SB (and IB later on), would be the promised i9 and i11 products; but instead, we got slight reheats, that considering the cost premium Intel is charging, isn't worth the very slight increase in performance. But then, Intel has some top notch marketing folk, as evidenced by the years of brain damage that has seeped into so many computers, like their weak, feeble integrated video that makes so many machines pathetic and unusable for anything more complex than setting BIOS or basic terminal command screens with stripped down OSes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [FUD]Bulldozer hints at 3.5GHz 8MB L3 and Turbo 2.0