Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Terrified: Have I fried my motherboard?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Terrified: Have I fried my motherboard? - Page 3

post #21 of 42
That board is definately a temp fix. You won't safely get above 342 FSB with that.
Indignant Mk. III
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB (flashed to 6970) 4GB G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 128GB, 2 X Spinpoint F4 (RAID0) Windows 7 Pro 64 Acer GD235HZ [1920X1080, 1080p, 120Hz] Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Antec 300 Illusion Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Indignant Mk. III
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB (flashed to 6970) 4GB G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 128GB, 2 X Spinpoint F4 (RAID0) Windows 7 Pro 64 Acer GD235HZ [1920X1080, 1080p, 120Hz] Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Antec 300 Illusion Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaii View Post
haha yeah. Its a shame though, that board is just as expensive as my old board here in the UK. I never quite realised just how expensive electronics here are until I got into all this.

I am seriously debating selling my old 2D monitor. I wanted to keep it because in terms of brightness and size, it beats my 3D monitor by far (28 inch instead of 24 inch, 500 nits instead of 300). But seems like it wasn't meant to be. If I sell it, and my Q6600, I could probably afford the difference for getting a sandy beach and Asus P8P67 PRO bundle for £350.

If you really think they are a match made in heaven, then I will take ur advice and use this as an opportunity to not bottleneck my glorious 480 GTX.

If I do get the i5, would it still need overclocking to make it work well with the 480GTX? (Don't worry, next time I'll take all the precautions, no matter how impatient I am!)

This is all so fascinating. And i do appreciate you going beyond the call of duty to help me here
You won't need to overclock until you SLI. GTX480 will be fine on it's own
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmRose View Post
That board is definately a temp fix. You won't safely get above 342 FSB with that.
he seems to be on a serious budget, and it will get him gaming again.
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedNuggeT View Post
he seems to be on a serious budget, and it will get him gaming again.
Touche. It'll do what he needs it to. I never had any problems from it when I used it.
Indignant Mk. III
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB (flashed to 6970) 4GB G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 128GB, 2 X Spinpoint F4 (RAID0) Windows 7 Pro 64 Acer GD235HZ [1920X1080, 1080p, 120Hz] Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Antec 300 Illusion Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Indignant Mk. III
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB (flashed to 6970) 4GB G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 128GB, 2 X Spinpoint F4 (RAID0) Windows 7 Pro 64 Acer GD235HZ [1920X1080, 1080p, 120Hz] Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec EarthWatts EA750 Antec 300 Illusion Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 42
Thread Starter 
Yeah I did manage to find that mobo pretty cheap, so its my other option. Perhaps you could help me decide.

How significantly is my processor bottlenecking my GPU? Remember, I was able to safely overclock it to 3000mhz (water cooling). I must admit though, I thought the GPU would play all games at 60fps on max settings. Just Cause 2 slowed down to like 5-15fps on full settings in the big cities (though was fine elsewhere), while in 3D mode. Is that slow down soley due to the CPU?

Just how significant a difference to gaming would a sandy bridge be? If you say its going to make a world of difference, I'll go for it. If its going to add 5 or 10fps then its not worth it. Ya know what I mean?

Also, how important is RAM in gaming? I have 3gb of DDR2 667.
Kaii2500K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sandy Bridge i5 2500K P8P67 Pro GTX 480 4Gb 12800 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x Seagate 8mb 500gb 3.0gb/s Win7 Pro x64 Acer GD245HQ 120hz 650W @ 80% 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaii2500K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sandy Bridge i5 2500K P8P67 Pro GTX 480 4Gb 12800 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x Seagate 8mb 500gb 3.0gb/s Win7 Pro x64 Acer GD245HQ 120hz 650W @ 80% 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaii View Post
Yeah I did manage to find that mobo pretty cheap, so its my other option. Perhaps you could help me decide.

How significantly is my processor bottlenecking my GPU? Remember, I was able to safely overclock it to 3000mhz (water cooling). I must admit though, I thought the GPU would play all games at 60fps on max settings. Just Cause 2 slowed down to like 5-15fps on full settings in the big cities (though was fine elsewhere), while in 3D mode. Is that slow down soley due to the CPU?

Just how significant a difference to gaming would a sandy bridge be? If you say its going to make a world of difference, I'll go for it. If its going to add 5 or 10fps then its not worth it. Ya know what I mean?

Also, how important is RAM in gaming? I have 3gb of DDR2 667.
As someone who also came from a Q6600 build before going Sandy, the difference is very noticeable, especially in older/less graphically intense games.

For example, my stock Q6600 used to get occasional stuttering and fps dips in source games (as sad as that is) with my GTX 460. My fps in L4D2 would drop from 120+ down to the 20s. It was pretty jarring.

That same 460 paired with my 2600k never dipped below 80.

That said, if you upgrade to SB, you will need better ram. At least 4GB DDR3 at 1333MHz imo. Although 1600 is considered the price/performance sweet spot atm if you can stretch your budget.
Edited by Booty Warrior - 1/29/11 at 8:55pm
post #27 of 42
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your reply.

It seems I can get 4GB @1600mhz with the offer I mentioned for only an extra £40 so it might be worth it. Though its really the speed of the RAM, not so much the amount of it, I've never seen my 3GB go over 60% usage. Plus my OS is 32 bit, so 4GB doesn't seem necessary.

We'll see. Its useful info though, and it seems like the CPU is going to make all the difference. I might just have to go for it.

I think my very old laptop might sell for a few...Just gotta scratch my head and figure out what else i can sell!

BTW if I won't need to overclock the SB until I SLI, then maybe I should just go for the 2500, not the 2500K, as if I can ever afford to SLI, I should be able to afford a good CPU! If I seriously don't plan to SLI, should I just go for the 2500?
Edited by kaii - 1/29/11 at 9:14pm
Kaii2500K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sandy Bridge i5 2500K P8P67 Pro GTX 480 4Gb 12800 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x Seagate 8mb 500gb 3.0gb/s Win7 Pro x64 Acer GD245HQ 120hz 650W @ 80% 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaii2500K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sandy Bridge i5 2500K P8P67 Pro GTX 480 4Gb 12800 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x Seagate 8mb 500gb 3.0gb/s Win7 Pro x64 Acer GD245HQ 120hz 650W @ 80% 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaii View Post
Thanks for your reply.

It seems I can get 4GB @1600mhz with the offer I mentioned for only an extra £40 so it might be worth it. Though its really the speed of the RAM, not so much the amount of it, I've never seen my 3GB go over 60% usage. Plus my OS is 32 bit, so 4GB doesn't seem necessary.
It depends on what you play. Higher end games like Crysis and Metro are very memory hungry. At any rate, dual channel kits don't even come in 3gb so there's not really much choice.

Quote:
BTW if I won't need to overclock the SB until I SLI, then maybe I should just go for the 2500, not the 2500K, as if I can ever afford to SLI, I should be able to afford a good CPU! If I seriously don't plan to SLI, should I just go for the 2500?
Well if your budget is really tight the 2500 (non-K) can save you a few dollars. You wouldn't need a P67 mobo and could settle for a cheaper H67.

That said, I don't know if any H67s come with SLI support, and if you do settle, you lock yourself out of the possibility of ever OCing in the future. Not to mention the resale value will be much lower. I'd recommend getting a K + P67 board personally, as the prices aren't that different (Especially if you have access to a Microcenter nearby, their SB prices can't be beat atm). But it's up to you
post #29 of 42
Thread Starter 
Haha ok some fair points. Shame there aren't any microcenters in the UK, but I am sure I can find a decent ebay deal. The price differences are actually quite significant but I always have this nasty habit of wanting the best, to be set for the future.

Well I have managed to find a few things to sell and if I am successful in selling them all, then I'll get the 2500K. Thanks for the advice!
Kaii2500K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sandy Bridge i5 2500K P8P67 Pro GTX 480 4Gb 12800 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x Seagate 8mb 500gb 3.0gb/s Win7 Pro x64 Acer GD245HQ 120hz 650W @ 80% 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaii2500K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sandy Bridge i5 2500K P8P67 Pro GTX 480 4Gb 12800 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x Seagate 8mb 500gb 3.0gb/s Win7 Pro x64 Acer GD245HQ 120hz 650W @ 80% 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaii View Post
Haha ok some fair points. Shame there aren't any microcenters in the UK, but I am sure I can find a decent ebay deal. The price differences are actually quite significant but I always have this nasty habit of wanting the best, to be set for the future.
Really? How bad are the prices in the UK? Here the difference between a standard and K model is only ~$20 or less.

Quote:
Well I have managed to find a few things to sell and if I am successful in selling them all, then I'll get the 2500K. Thanks for the advice!
Good luck! When it's all said and done, I don't think you'll be disappointed!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Terrified: Have I fried my motherboard?