Overclock.net banner

SC2 Low FPS at main

633 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  angrysasquatch 
#1 ·
I have vSync enabled, so while ingame I get a solid 60 FPS, never changes... but at menu I get 12.

Why.

This is on my sig rig btw. Thanks
biggrin.gif
+rep to helpfuly posts.

See less See more
#4 ·
At launch (or possibly in the beta, can't remember anymore), SC2 had an issue with "cooking" GPUs, which was because the main menu used a very tiny amount of CPU power, and since the GPU was the limiting factor, it would render thousands of FPS. There was a fix by editing an .ini file, but Blizzard put out a patch quite a while after the issue was found. It's possible that GPU manufacturers put something into the drivers to stop such a thing from happening (in the unpatched version of SC2), so perhaps it is incorrectly applying it to stop extraneous GPU load, when it isn't actually needed anymore.

Check the SC2 folder to see if your main menu FPS has been capped to something silly:

Quote:

The fix is easy, requiring players to add the following lines to your "Documents\\StarCraft II Beta\\variables.txt" "Documents\\StarCraft II\\variables.txt" file (nice catch, commenter LegolElf):

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ating-bug.aspx

If that's something normal, then my best guess is that it's something in the drivers, like I was saying earlier. Best of luck

note: anyone on here doesn't have huge balls of dust in their heatsinks, the GPU overheat is a non-issue with any decently maintained computer

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysasquatch
View Post

note: anyone on here doesn't have huge balls of dust in their heatsinks, the GPU overheat is a non-issue with any decently maintained computer

This is what I told all of my friends when they were running around telling everyone "you need to enable Vsync or SC2 will blow up your GPU!!!
"

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysasquatch
View Post

At launch (or possibly in the beta, can't remember anymore), SC2 had an issue with "cooking" GPUs, which was because the main menu used a very tiny amount of CPU power, and since the GPU was the limiting factor, it would render thousands of FPS. There was a fix by editing an .ini file, but Blizzard put out a patch quite a while after the issue was found. It's possible that GPU manufacturers put something into the drivers to stop such a thing from happening (in the unpatched version of SC2), so perhaps it is incorrectly applying it to stop extraneous GPU load, when it isn't actually needed anymore.
-SNIP-

While I agree that the above solution is good and I personally use it to limit fps within the game, his problem seems to be that the fps are low at the main menu but are fine within the game which is quite bizzare to say the least

@Kirus2012 In reference to consume's point, you can try ocing your gpu, maybe changing the 2d clocks, but, not sure how much of a good idea that would be. Personally, I would just leave it as is, since your fps are fine within game and that's what counts

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist
View Post

This is what I told all of my friends when they were running around telling everyone "you need to enable Vsync or SC2 will blow up your GPU!!!
"

Yeah, 'round these parts, we do this stuff for morbid fun, it's called a stress test. It's kinda like that torture where they pull some poor bastard apart by the arms, but for your GPU

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFan
View Post

While I agree that the above solution is good and I personally use it to limit fps within the game, his problem seems to be that the fps are low at the main menu but are fine within the game which is quite bizzare to say the least

@Kirus2012 In reference to consume's point, you can try ocing your gpu, maybe changing the 2d clocks, but, not sure how much of a good idea that would be. Personally, I would just leave it as is, since your fps are fine within game and that's what counts

I was just thinking it could've somehow been changed. But the real reason I posted was I got an idea for a prank. Change your friends computer to only display 1 fps in the SC2 menu. Then maybe you can convince him a virus is doing it and he should reformat...

God I'm a nerd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.