Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Confused about Memory bus?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Confused about Memory bus?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hi, I am pretty darn new to the forum, and to computer building. I got confused when I saw something on CPU-Z. Its called the bus speed under cpu-z. what bus is it talking about? I am guessing the bus that connects the ram to the cpu? also, the multiplier, what is that? i know it has something to due with the bus speed. Thanks for being patient with me!
Machiney Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 RADEON 5770 1 GB 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 
Hard DriveOS
SATA 5400 RPM 500 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Machiney Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 RADEON 5770 1 GB 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 
Hard DriveOS
SATA 5400 RPM 500 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLizardman View Post
Hi, I am pretty darn new to the forum, and to computer building. I got confused when I saw something on CPU-Z. Its called the bus speed under cpu-z. what bus is it talking about? I am guessing the bus that connects the ram to the cpu? also, the multiplier, what is that? i know it has something to due with the bus speed. Thanks for being patient with me!
Yes CPUZ is like that because of things like BCLK, ratios etc. But the main thing is that your memory frequency is double that speed ie. if it shows 800mhz then the memory is really running 1600mhz. So just double what CPUZ is reading.

Your welcome.
Edited by l3gend. - 1/29/11 at 7:11pm
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3gend. View Post
Yes CPUZ is like that because of things like BCLK, ratios etc. But the main thing is that your memory frequency is double that speed ie. if it shows 800mhz then the memory is really running 1600mhz. So just double what CPUZ is reading.

Your welcome.

(rep+ me please)
I dont think that's right. My ram speed is 667mhz, and it still gives me 200mhz. I am getting this reading from the cpu tab, by the way.
Machiney Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 RADEON 5770 1 GB 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 
Hard DriveOS
SATA 5400 RPM 500 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Machiney Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 RADEON 5770 1 GB 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 
Hard DriveOS
SATA 5400 RPM 500 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLizardman View Post
I dont think that's right. My ram speed is 667mhz, and it still gives me 200mhz. I am getting this reading from the cpu tab, by the way.
to read memory speeds click on the memory tab, it says DRAM freq. just double that and it is your running RAM frequency.

the bus speed is the BCLK, baseclock

when multiplied by the CPU multi you get the CPU freq.

when multiplied by the RAM multi you get the RAM freq.

for example, 200 bclck and 20 multi = 200x20 = 4000mhz = 4.0ghz
eg ram 200x10 = 2000mhz ram

your welcome.
Edited by l3gend. - 1/29/11 at 7:12pm
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3gend. View Post
to read memory speeds click on the memory tab, it says DRAM freq. just double that and it is your running RAM frequency.
Yeah, i know that. What I am basically asking is what the Bus Speed is under the cpu tab. Here is a pic
Attachment 192940
Machiney Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 RADEON 5770 1 GB 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 
Hard DriveOS
SATA 5400 RPM 500 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Machiney Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 RADEON 5770 1 GB 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 
Hard DriveOS
SATA 5400 RPM 500 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 20
Thats how fast the clock in the processor is, that number times the multiplier will give you the actual processing speed. The bus speed is what you increase when you overclock.

EDIT: In extremely basic terms, the cpu does Bus Speed number of calculations multiplier amount of times
FermIntel Inside
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 5Ghz 24/7 ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Gen 3 GTX 470 SLI + HD5450 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
lots none Win7 Ultimate (b:7600) LG W2353V + LG W2343T + LG W2254TQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Aluminum Seasonic SS 850HT Sunbean ACTS Razer Deathadder 3500dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
FermIntel Inside
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 5Ghz 24/7 ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Gen 3 GTX 470 SLI + HD5450 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
lots none Win7 Ultimate (b:7600) LG W2353V + LG W2343T + LG W2254TQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Aluminum Seasonic SS 850HT Sunbean ACTS Razer Deathadder 3500dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7ADE View Post
Thats how fast the clock in the processor is, that number times the multiplier will give you the actual processing speed. The bus speed is what you increase when you overclock.

EDIT: In extremely basic terms, the cpu does Bus Speed number of calculations multiplier amount of times
Why is it called the Bus speed then?
Machiney Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 RADEON 5770 1 GB 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 
Hard DriveOS
SATA 5400 RPM 500 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Machiney Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 RADEON 5770 1 GB 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 
Hard DriveOS
SATA 5400 RPM 500 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLizardman View Post
Why is it called the Bus speed then?
WIKI: In personal computers, the front-side bus (FSB) is the bus that carries data between the CPU and the northbridge.
FermIntel Inside
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 5Ghz 24/7 ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Gen 3 GTX 470 SLI + HD5450 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
lots none Win7 Ultimate (b:7600) LG W2353V + LG W2343T + LG W2254TQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Aluminum Seasonic SS 850HT Sunbean ACTS Razer Deathadder 3500dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
FermIntel Inside
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 5Ghz 24/7 ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Gen 3 GTX 470 SLI + HD5450 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
lots none Win7 Ultimate (b:7600) LG W2353V + LG W2343T + LG W2254TQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Aluminum Seasonic SS 850HT Sunbean ACTS Razer Deathadder 3500dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7ADE View Post
WIKI: In personal computers, the front-side bus (FSB) is the bus that carries data between the CPU and the northbridge.
Did you look at the picture? there is all ready an HT link.
Machiney Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 RADEON 5770 1 GB 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 
Hard DriveOS
SATA 5400 RPM 500 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Machiney Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 RADEON 5770 1 GB 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 
Hard DriveOS
SATA 5400 RPM 500 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLizardman View Post
Did you look at the picture? there is all ready an HT link.
That's the speed of the HyperTransport link, quite different from Bus speed
FermIntel Inside
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 5Ghz 24/7 ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Gen 3 GTX 470 SLI + HD5450 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
lots none Win7 Ultimate (b:7600) LG W2353V + LG W2343T + LG W2254TQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Aluminum Seasonic SS 850HT Sunbean ACTS Razer Deathadder 3500dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
FermIntel Inside
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 5Ghz 24/7 ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Gen 3 GTX 470 SLI + HD5450 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
lots none Win7 Ultimate (b:7600) LG W2353V + LG W2343T + LG W2254TQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Aluminum Seasonic SS 850HT Sunbean ACTS Razer Deathadder 3500dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Confused about Memory bus?