Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Thinking of returning my Asus P8P67 Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of returning my Asus P8P67 Pro - Page 2

post #11 of 24
I would try it out first to see if its defective or it could be a great overclocker, you never know. Mine is going strong after getting used to the whole Intel side of the chipset seeing as this is my first Intel based system. I've had my mobo and cpu up to 5.4 ghz before and could have gone high probably but didn't want to go above 1.5 volts.
post #12 of 24
I had a number of issues when I first got it with respect to RAM compatibility.

Overclocking was also, frankly a pain in the butt.

Once I got the boards issues ironed out, the board has been dead stable at 4.7ghz ever since without a single issue.

I recently updated to the new bios (mostly out of curiousity) and saw no difference whatsoever.

I really was frustrated at the outset but have since come to appreciate the board. At this point I am quite happy with it.
Murder Box II
(18 items)
 
Home PC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6800K Asus X99-A II Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme Edition G. Skill Trident Z - 32GB/ 3200Hz/CL14/Quad  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB Corsair H100i V2 - w/ML120 Pro Fans Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Acer Z35P 1440P G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries Merc  EVGA Supernova G2 1000W Corsair 450D Mionix Naos 8200 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Inwin Batmat Aluminum Sound Blaster Z Logitech Z906 - 5.1 Maxnomic Commander S-III Gaming Chair 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G3440 Asus B85M-E/CSM EVGA GTX 950 Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB/3TB x 2/2TB WD Green LG CH12LS28 Bluray Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 75" TV.... GooBang Doo MX3 Corsair CX430 V2 NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module 
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3 
  hide details  
Reply
Murder Box II
(18 items)
 
Home PC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6800K Asus X99-A II Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme Edition G. Skill Trident Z - 32GB/ 3200Hz/CL14/Quad  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB Corsair H100i V2 - w/ML120 Pro Fans Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Acer Z35P 1440P G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries Merc  EVGA Supernova G2 1000W Corsair 450D Mionix Naos 8200 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Inwin Batmat Aluminum Sound Blaster Z Logitech Z906 - 5.1 Maxnomic Commander S-III Gaming Chair 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G3440 Asus B85M-E/CSM EVGA GTX 950 Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB/3TB x 2/2TB WD Green LG CH12LS28 Bluray Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 75" TV.... GooBang Doo MX3 Corsair CX430 V2 NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module 
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 24
You have to realize that all this stuff is still in it's early stages... not even a month old. It takes time through BIOS revisions and bug fixes to get everything working how it should, and giving up by returning gives ASUS no help on fixing anything if you don't tell them what needs to be fixed. If everyone returned their boards and bought different ones when they got issues then the issues wouldn't ever be know and most likely never get fixed.

Sure it would be nice to have it working right from the start, but rarely if ever do manufacturers get something to work right in it's early stages. I am just surprised that they got the EFI released with the first boards, which is something Gigabyte was unable to do... so they had to release with traditional BIOS and have the EFI be implemented at a later time when they completed it.

Of course it is easier to make a 1366/1156 system right now because all those parts have been out for a while now, and have had their share of bug fixes so to compare 1155 to the previous sockets doesn't do it justice.

Also if you look closer at those reviews on Newegg a bunch of those low rated ones are just pissed off people trying to "get back at ASUS" for something that happened that wasn't their fault. Like someone that rated it 1 egg did so because it arrived physically broken, but that isn't the fault of ASUS, that is the fault of either Newegg or the shipping service.
Edited by Semper Fidelis - 1/30/11 at 9:34pm
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
I understand the fact that it's still in early stages but I'm sure it's not just me but by now people already know a lot about this board for both positive and negative things. I don't read reviews on the egg to come to conclusion, I come across [H], OCN, and some other forums to find out and it started to get on my nerve quiet a bit.
I also know that Asus customer support has been very helpful by keep working together closely with customers and release new BIOS accordingly and the good thing is it's more mature compare to when first released couple weeks ago. Still, my concern is that by the time I'll be using this board I hope I won't run into any problems but who knows what will happen. As I said I don't mind waiting for a few weeks to get a stable board since I'm still in the process of getting parts for my build and I don't know whether I should return it or keep it, I can either taking the risk of keeping it or returning it now and if I can't find a better one then I can always get it back, who knows if Asus will release another revision that is more stable by then. That's why I need inputs from you guys as users and so far it's still a 50/50 decision LOL
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 24
DO IT!! no need to spam the forum just do it!
Hamber Brige
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 570 G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Black too expansive can't afford Windows 7 Pro too expansive can't afford 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
too expansive can't afford Corsair AX850 NZXT Phantom Alienware TactX 
  hide details  
Reply
Hamber Brige
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 570 G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Black too expansive can't afford Windows 7 Pro too expansive can't afford 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
too expansive can't afford Corsair AX850 NZXT Phantom Alienware TactX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 24
Yeah I mean it took me 2 boards to get a good one... but it really was like 2 completely different experiences. The first time was really frustrating, I tried many things to get it to work and had no luck and ended up having to exchange it for another one at MicroCenter. The second board however started up fine no issues whatsoever other than it defaulting my RAM to 1333 but that was easily fixed.
post #17 of 24
Why not just return it if you're not happy with it? Do you really believe the reviews at NewEgg were written by people who are competent at building computers? One guy actually cut himself while inserting his ram and gave a 1 star rating. One person on OCN actually didn't use spacers on his motherboard. So I take the NewEgg reviews with a grain of salt. A majority of people jumped on the Sandy Bridge bandwagon expecting zero problems with UEFI. But I think most of these people never built a computer when parts are brand new and just came out. Almost every single board I had bought in the past needed a bios update. It didn't matter what brand I had bought, they needed an updated bios. Whether it was to fix menu bugs, overclock issues, add new features, support new CPU's, or whatever they needed a bios update. So don't ever expect to buy a perfect board on release especially when UEFI is brand new tech.

I'm sure there are some people that DID actually get a malfunctioning board but that is very few; it happens even to the best companies you can't make anything 100% failure proof. Most of these other people were just complaining about ram compatibility and things like heatsinks breaking off which is not Asus' fault. Sandy Bridge is suppose to use 1.5V ram. I used 1.65V ram, my PC didn't blow up and I even turned it up to 1.7V just to overclock the ram a bit just to see if my PC would stop functioning at 1.7V. But it did not stop functioning. But most of these complaint issues was about ram and bios. I bet some did not even bother to update their bios. The very first thing I did when I got my board was update the bios.

I don't know maybe I was lucky or not... but I doubt it had to do anything with luck. I experienced no problems with UEFI. I did almost everything ass backwards from what these PRO reviewers would've done and still managed to get my PC running. I didn't buy 1.5V P67 certified ram that was practically sold out on NewEgg, I bought ram that runs at 1.65V and ran it at 1.7V, I ran 4x2GB and filled all 4 dim slots and overclocked to 4.8Ghz. Theoretically, I should have failed and my system should have failed and my overclock too. 1.5V is the recommended ram voltage for P67 and dual channel memory is recommended for overclocking.

But I think it's more of a PEBKAC problem. Some people installed their memory in the wrong slots and not the recommended slots. Some people didn't even know that there was a MemoryOk button. Some didn't even fully insert and secure their ram in place. Some had to ask what the EPU and TPU switches were for; they didn't bother to RTFM. One guy didn't put thermal paste on his CPU waterblock and got 100C temps. One person had to re-seat their CPU and heatsink. Everything I'm seeing is pointing to PEBKAC.

But if you're that worried, return it and who knows you might have returned a good board for a bad board.
Edited by anoob - 1/31/11 at 12:17am
Skylake Is Here!
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700K Batch #L535B021 4.7Ghz @ 1.296V GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB  Crucial BX100 250 GB SanDisk SSDPlus 240 GB NZXT Kraken X61  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 & 10 Dell UltraSharp 2913WM 21:9 2560x1080 Ducky Shine 4, CODE WASD, Deck Legend, G710+ EVGA SuperNova G2 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid-Tower Ducky Secret SteelSeries Fostex Purple Heart TH-X00 
Audio
AKG K553 Pro, Philips SHP9500, Superlux 668B, S... 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake Is Here!
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700K Batch #L535B021 4.7Ghz @ 1.296V GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB  Crucial BX100 250 GB SanDisk SSDPlus 240 GB NZXT Kraken X61  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 & 10 Dell UltraSharp 2913WM 21:9 2560x1080 Ducky Shine 4, CODE WASD, Deck Legend, G710+ EVGA SuperNova G2 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid-Tower Ducky Secret SteelSeries Fostex Purple Heart TH-X00 
Audio
AKG K553 Pro, Philips SHP9500, Superlux 668B, S... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
After hearing such horrible experiences and it seems there are a lot of issues with this motherboard. P8P67 owners, are you happy with this board so far?
Maybe it probably has something to do with adapting new technology early so I guess I should hold on to my build and wait for a solid board. eVGA I'm looking at you.
In my opinion the board should be fine. I had a crappy one (for some reason mine in particular was screwy and wouldn't overclock, and reported an erratic HT/Blck number to CPU-Z). I returned mine and got a Gigabyte P67-UD4 instead.

If you were to return it and get a different one, I highly recommend the Gigabyte UD4 motherboard (the only downside to this motherboard is when an overclock fails, if it's due to not enough voltage or an unstable multiplier, 50% of the time you have to clear CMOS).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro Sapphire 5770 1GB 8GB 1600MHz G.Skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue SATA3 CD/DVD & Bluray Windows 7 27" BenQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional 850W Silverstone Strider NZXT Phantom (Black) Rat 7 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries SX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro Sapphire 5770 1GB 8GB 1600MHz G.Skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue SATA3 CD/DVD & Bluray Windows 7 27" BenQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional 850W Silverstone Strider NZXT Phantom (Black) Rat 7 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries SX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
Yeah I mean it took me 2 boards to get a good one... but it really was like 2 completely different experiences. The first time was really frustrating, I tried many things to get it to work and had no luck and ended up having to exchange it for another one at MicroCenter. The second board however started up fine no issues whatsoever other than it defaulting my RAM to 1333 but that was easily fixed.
I got it at MC as well and it takes me over an hour to get there so to be honest returning it would be my last option. After all what makes me thinking about letting it go is not just its stability but also give me some time to make my final decision, I won't complete my build at least a month from now anyway so within a month I might have more options to choose from. And I don't know by the time I build this, if I run into any problems then it's gonna be a pain in the butt going through the whole RMA process and all that. I doubt MC will let me return the board for an exchange after 30 days purchase, do you happen to know its policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post
Why not just return it if you're not happy with it? Do you really believe the reviews at NewEgg were written by people who are competent at building computers? One guy actually cut himself while inserting his ram and gave a 1 star rating. One person on OCN actually didn't use spacers on his motherboard. So I take the NewEgg reviews with a grain of salt. A majority of people jumped on the Sandy Bridge bandwagon expecting zero problems with UEFI. But I think most of these people never built a computer when parts are brand new and just came out. Almost every single board I had bought in the past needed a bios update. It didn't matter what brand I had bought, they needed an updated bios. Whether it was to fix menu bugs, overclock issues, add new features, support new CPU's, or whatever they needed a bios update. So don't ever expect to buy a perfect board on release especially when UEFI is brand new tech.

I'm sure there are some people that DID actually get a malfunctioning board but that is very few; it happens even to the best companies you can't make anything 100% failure proof. Most of these other people were just complaining about ram compatibility and things like heatsinks breaking off which is not Asus' fault. Sandy Bridge is suppose to use 1.5V ram. I used 1.65V ram, my PC didn't blow up and I even turned it up to 1.7V just to overclock the ram a bit just to see if my PC would stop functioning at 1.7V. But it did not stop functioning. But most of these complaint issues was about ram and bios. I bet some did not even bother to update their bios. The very first thing I did when I got my board was update the bios.

I don't know maybe I was lucky or not... but I doubt it had to do anything with luck. I experienced no problems with UEFI. I did almost everything ass backwards from what these PRO reviewers would've done and still managed to get my PC running. I didn't buy 1.5V P67 certified ram that was practically sold out on NewEgg, I bought ram that runs at 1.65V and ran it at 1.7V, I ran 4x2GB and filled all 4 dim slots and overclocked to 4.8Ghz. Theoretically, I should have failed and my system should have failed and my overclock too. 1.5V is the recommended ram voltage for P67 and dual channel memory is recommended for overclocking.

But I think it's more of a PEBKAC problem. Some people installed their memory in the wrong slots and not the recommended slots. Some people didn't even know that there was a MemoryOk button. Some didn't even fully insert and secure their ram in place. Some had to ask what the EPU and TPU switches were for; they didn't bother to RTFM. One guy didn't put thermal paste on his CPU waterblock and got 100C temps. One person had to re-seat their CPU and heatsink. Everything I'm seeing is pointing to PEBKAC.

But if you're that worried, return it and who knows you might have returned a good board for a bad board.
I didn't read newegg reviews and based on noobs' experience with the board that led me thinking about returning it, I do see enthusiasts having problems with this board on this forum and [H] forum as well. Most of the time it's related to drive detection, cold boot, memory....and as you can see many people did return it as a matter of fact, some go through the 2nd or 3rd board so I guess it might have something to do with luck here. I never go through such experience as all the boards I've used so far work perfectly right out of the box but once again, seeing people's experience with this board is just depressing. I know some people have no problem with it so far but not just a handful of people having issues. I also stated that if I return it now I don't have to go through the RMA process in case I run into problems, when I'm ready to put together my build, the motherboard would be my last component that I purchase. The dilemma here is if this board turns out to be good then there's nothing to talk about but what if it's not then I won't be able to return it for an exchange due to the 30 days policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWog View Post
In my opinion the board should be fine. I had a crappy one (for some reason mine in particular was screwy and wouldn't overclock, and reported an erratic HT/Blck number to CPU-Z). I returned mine and got a Gigabyte P67-UD4 instead.

If you were to return it and get a different one, I highly recommend the Gigabyte UD4 motherboard (the only downside to this motherboard is when an overclock fails, if it's due to not enough voltage or an unstable multiplier, 50% of the time you have to clear CMOS).
I'm in no rush to build since I still need to get other components, that should give me at least a month and I hope by that time they will release another revision or I can pick another brand like eVGA. I don't rule Gigabyte out of the picture but since I have good experience with Asus and eVGA they would be my first choice.
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Well, apparently with the recall this morning it would make no sense for me to keep this board any longer. Off to return this weekend.
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
SandyB
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth P67 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX850W Corsair 700D w/ 800D window Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 9HD Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Thinking of returning my Asus P8P67 Pro