Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Suggest a good wireless (g) repeater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suggest a good wireless (g) repeater

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Subject says it all. Need ~25-50 ft. longer wireless range within my house to reach some rooms. Any suggestions for good quality and sub-$75 options are appreciated. Router is G, so anything faster than that is not necessary.

I have no familiarity with repeaters or what brands are good. Don't need anything special, just a range extender.

Thanks in advance.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
Linksys will do the job just fine.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGEQ8wIwAA#

If you need extended range, just google "Wireless Repeater" and check the shopping tab. They run a bit expensive if you get the same brand, but I believe you can find the offbrand ones that work just fine for a lot cheaper (somebody correct me if I'm wrong?).

Anyways, yeah, I have that router that I linked to up top. First one failed after a week, second one has been running nonstop with no issues whatsoever for about 3 years now.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 GO @ 3.0gHz ABIT IP35 Pro EVGA GTX 285 2GB DDR2 GSkill RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Western Digital Sony DVD ROM Win7 Ultimate x32 2x 19" Hanns-G Wides @ 2880x900 
PowerCase
750w Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 GO @ 3.0gHz ABIT IP35 Pro EVGA GTX 285 2GB DDR2 GSkill RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Western Digital Sony DVD ROM Win7 Ultimate x32 2x 19" Hanns-G Wides @ 2880x900 
PowerCase
750w Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
Subject says it all. Need ~25-50 ft. longer wireless range within my house to reach some rooms. Any suggestions for good quality and sub-$75 options are appreciated. Router is G, so anything faster than that is not necessary.

I have no familiarity with repeaters or what brands are good. Don't need anything special, just a range extender.

Thanks in advance.
The cheapest solution is to get a DD-WRT supported router.

Extending the network via WDS, Repeater, or Repeater Bridge?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...s#Alternatives
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentryOptic View Post
Linksys will do the job just fine.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGEQ8wIwAA#

If you need extended range, just google "Wireless Repeater" and check the shopping tab. They run a bit expensive if you get the same brand, but I believe you can find the offbrand ones that work just fine for a lot cheaper (somebody correct me if I'm wrong?).

Anyways, yeah, I have that router that I linked to up top. First one failed after a week, second one has been running nonstop with no issues whatsoever for about 3 years now.
Thanks--I'll take a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
The cheapest solution is to get a DD-WRT supported router.

Extending the network via WDS, Repeater, or Repeater Bridge?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...s#Alternatives
Thanks. Sounds like ddwrt with either a repeater bridge or wds would be the easiest way to maintain network connectivity between computers too.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
+1 for any DD-WRT enabled device.

If it's possible to run a cable through the house to the AP's destination, you might get a little better wireless performance from this device, and could also use a standard router or access point. You'd simply have to set up the same SSID and credentials as well as disabling DHCP on the new device.
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Might i just suggest something more modern:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320039

WRT54GL was good in its day but tons of other options that are just cheaper and better performing.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post
+1 for any DD-WRT enabled device.

If it's possible to run a cable through the house to the AP's destination, you might get a little better wireless performance from this device, and could also use a standard router or access point. You'd simply have to set up the same SSID and credentials as well as disabling DHCP on the new device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
Might i just suggest something more modern:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320039

WRT54GL was good in its day but tons of other options that are just cheaper and better performing.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

darksideleader--that looks like the cheapest option, though I worry that 25% of the reviews give it 1 egg--lots of reviews saying that it stopped working. Have you used this one personally? Not criticizing the suggestion--I appreciate it, but I'm wary of this particular model unless someone on here can vouch for using it personally. Thanks for the suggestion!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
A lot of people are reporting problems with the stock firmware on a lot of the ASUS routers. However, your going to have to use dd-wrt anyway to make the router into a repeater so that solves that problem.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
A lot of people are reporting problems with the stock firmware on a lot of the ASUS routers. However, your going to have to use dd-wrt anyway to make the router into a repeater so that solves that problem.
Good point. Thanks!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Suggest a good wireless (g) repeater