Combos like that are often terrible, and that is probably one of the worst I have ever seen. You barely save any money at all and you're getting garbage parts for a pitifully small discount.
You are also missing a hard drive and DVD burner.
Assuming no OS, monitor or peripherals when you said "tower only", Here's my suggestion:Phenom II x4 955 + GA-870A-UD3
- $228Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 CL9
- $50, $40 ARRosewill Destroyer
$40 shipped after promo code EMCKJHE29Antec NEO ECO 520W
- $55 shipped after promo code PSUJAN2011, $40 ARXFX HD 6850
[buy.com] - $177 (Double lifetime warranty for cheaper than every other HD 6850!)
- $55 shipped (Click "12 new for $53.99" to see $55 shipped price)Sony Optiarc 24X
- $17 shipped
Total cost before rebates: $622
After rebates: $597
Much better parts and still edging into that $600 budget!
Depending on how much gaming your friend does (i.e. if he really doesn't require an HD 6850) you can save with this deal: Gigabyte GTS 450 + Antec NEO ECO 520W
- $164 after promo code PSUJAN2011, $140 AR, which'll ease on the budget a lot more and give you money to buy that OS if you need one.
Except for the power supply on the TigerDirect build you found, it actually looks pretty decent. It has no video card and DVD drive, but I'm assuming you would've filled that in. Don't expect to be able to reliably run a high-end video card with that PSU though. It is definitely not reliable.Edited by xd_1771 - 1/31/11 at 10:26pm