Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Budget PSU for old 8800GTX
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Budget PSU for old 8800GTX - Page 4

post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
Look, I've been dealing with cheap-o PSUs for years.

I've had about 5 die out on me (2 of which just needed a fan replacement).

And even when they overheated to the point that the PC had to shut down 5 minutes after boot and about 5 times a day..

It never ruined any of the components!

In fact, I personally have two P4 systems still running to this day with virtually every single thing PSU-related going wrong happen to them.

So I'm sorry, but I am not going to agree that people should spend twice the money for a PSU that looks more prestigious.
its gud to hear ur h/w did not damage but it does not mean that it couldn't....u just got very lucky...just make a thread here on ocn and try to find out how many people lost their precious components due to those el-cheapo psu's........so please take into account the whole situation....
post #32 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post
But in all likelihood,
Likelihood? Really? Based on what?

The fact that it's acceptable in the hardware community to hate on affordable PSUs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post
it can't deliver more than 350-400W,
Utter nonsense.
Even if the internal components are of the lowest quality, I can guarantee, especially based on the reviews on Newegg, that this PSU will do 600w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post
it has horrible ripple suppression,
Even if, so what? It's not going to kill your components - I will hear nothing of that.
It might not cause as low damage as a normal PSU, yes. But so what? I've put components through the absolute worst, and they've always given me at least 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post
horrible efficiency,
With an average of 0.06$ per kw/h, you'd really have to push this PSU to even waste those 5$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post
and it has a 1-year life span before it dies catastrophically.
I'm not even going to dignify this with a comment.
This PSU will live long after you throw that 8800 GTX away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post
It says right there <---- where I live. 99.9% of Newegg reviews are posted by people who don't know the first thing about PSUs. Either it works or it doesn't. If it works, 5 stars. If it doesn't, 1 star. So for the whopping FOURTEEN people who gave it 5 stars, it must have worked. That doesn't make it any less of a huge turd.
No, my friend, that is not how Newegg works.
The people on Newegg are extremely picky, especially about PSUs.
If a PSU dies within the first year, you can bet you sweet behind it will not get anything more than a 3-star rating.
A 5-star rating on Newegg is extremely difficult, regardless of the knowledge of the reviewers.
It's not something you can bet your life on, but with a recommendation or some prior knowledge, a 5-star Newegg review always makes you feel much more safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post
I will defend this very adamantly, and this is for your own good, not mine.
I will defend this just as adamantly, for the same cause and, god-willing, with more veracity.
Edited by Track - 2/1/11 at 7:15am
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post
You've just been lucky. This has nothing to do with prestige or brand, only with quality.
Lucky.

That's what you get called when you don't go around town yelling about how cheap PSUs are dangerous and can eat your grand mother.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

It's pure physics, mechanics and some logic to top it off.

Even the cheapest material, unless it has a 0-star rating on Newegg and is banned in 7 states for causing Football-mania, will last, will work, will not die.

I've had over 100 rigs, over 100 PSUs. I will not hear of one or two people saying "But you know.. my rig fried with all my components in it."

Maybe you hooked it up wrong, maybe there was a serious power surge.. I don't really care.

I'm here to protect people's wallets.
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 79
I just walked into the middle of a very stupid argument, and I don't know where to begin.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
No, my friend, that is not how Newegg works.
The people on Newegg are extremely picky, especially about PSUs.
If a PSU dies within the first year, you can bet you sweet behind it will not get anything more than a 3-star rating.
A 5-star rating on Newegg is extremely difficult, regardless of the knowledge of the reviewers.
It's not something you can bet your life on, but with a recommendation or some prior knowledge, a 5-star Newegg review always makes you feel much more safe.
Newegg users are completely incompetent when it comes to power supplies. Else explain how the Linkworld LPJ2 430W was able to garner a 4/5 rating, and dozens of other crap PSUs get the same.
post #35 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
it has horrible ripple suppression,

Even if, so what? It's not going to kill your components - I will hear nothing of that.
It might not cause as low damage as a normal PSU, yes. But so what? I've put components through the absolute worst, and they've always given me at least 5 years.
As if I didn't already know from the rest of your posts, with that handful of lines above you've demonstrated that you don't know what you're talking about. Or you're just trolling. Either way, at this point I'm done with you, and the OP can make his own decisions.
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
Even the cheapest material, unless it has a 0-star rating on Newegg and is banned in 7 states for causing Football-mania, will last, will work, will not die.
Cheap power supplies do fail all the time.

Common failure modes:
1. Silent failure due to cold joint due to crap soldering
2. Catastrophic failure due to critical joint going cold
3. Capacitor failure leading to out of spec performance or total failure
4. Failure of under-spec'd silicon components (6A +12V rectifier in "500W" PSU)
5. Short circuit (for instance, primary charge capacitor separated from electrically hot heatsink by hot glue = inevitable short circuit)


And more.

Crap power supplies do fail, and a percentage of those failure modes will lead to harm to components down the line, period. You, quite frankly, have no idea what you're talking about and I doubt you could tell me the first thing about SMPS theory or commercial electronics manufacturing without going to wikipedia.



I wonder if you'd concede this ripple is enough to kill components:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDR...pe/T4-12V1.jpg
If you can't read an oscilloscope, that's a 3000mV swing on the +12V. From a Linkworld LPSW "350W". That unit still holds the record, but I can still find you plenty of cheap crap that will crack 200mV on the +12V easy.
Edited by Phaedrus2129 - 2/1/11 at 7:23am
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post
As if I didn't already know from the rest of your posts, with that handful of lines above you've demonstrated that you don't know what you're talking about. Or you're just trolling. Either way, at this point I'm done with you, and the OP can make his own decisions.
- Reading my other posts and using them against me - CHECK
- Calling me a troll - CHECK
- Responding with a short post, leaving the conversation - CHECK

Yup, the troll has left.
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Cheap power supplies do fail all the time.

Common failure modes:
1. Silent failure due to cold joint due to crap soldering
2. Catastrophic failure due to critical joint going cold
3. Capacitor failure leading to out of spec performance or total failure
4. Failure of under-spec'd silicon components (6A +12V rectifier in "500W" PSU)
5. Short circuit (for instance, primary charge capacitor separated from electrically hot heatsink by hot glue = inevitable short circuit)


And more.

Crap power supplies do fail, and a percentage of those failure modes will lead to harm to components down the line, period. You, quite frankly, have no idea what you're talking about and I doubt you could tell me the first thing about SMPS theory or commercial electronics manufacturing without going to wikipedia.
No, I can't, sir.

I find it an abhorrent waste of my time to gain such knowledge.

That's what I have friends in the industry for. Whatever I don't know, I ask my PSU expert. And yet, he agrees with me.

All I know is what I've already said.

As for your list - none of those things are likely based on my experience. You have a better chance of your components dying on their own.
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
I wonder if you'd concede this ripple is enough to kill components:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDR...pe/T4-12V1.jpg
If you can't read an oscilloscope, that's a 3000mV swing on the +12V. From a Linkworld LPSW "350W". That unit still holds the record, but I can still find you plenty of cheap crap that will crack 200mV on the +12V easy.
I wonder if you'll concede that that is almost as irrelevant to regular computing as a graphics card growing fungus.
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 79
I don't know if you're trolling or not. If you are: A-, you're very good but you make people fed up too quickly to get really awesome reactions.

If you aren't then I really must pity you the day when you put something like the LPSW in a system of yours and end up shortly thereafter with a completely dead computer. And I pity any "customers" of your "business" who end up with such garbage in their systems. As for your expert friend, try talking to real experts. For instance, Jonny Gerow who has been product manager for several large power supply companies, started his own review site and became the biggest name in power supply reviews. Also his protege, Jeremy Schrag. Go to JonnyGURU.com/forums and try telling them what you're saying here.

After all, where better to troll PSU buffs than their mecca, am I right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Budget PSU for old 8800GTX