Originally Posted by Gunderman456
A shameless GPU arms race, where they come out with a new product like the ATI 5xxx or the NVIDIA 4xx, use us as guinea pigs to fix/tweak the product and then release the revisions as ATI 6xxx and NVIDIA 5xx.
With the revisions also comes a chance to incorporate promised hardware features they omitted/reneged on in the first iteration of the release.
This should not be allowed to go on.
I mean already, AMD appears to be ignoring the 5xxx by stating that the 11.1 Catalyst driver was 6xxx specific.
Additionally, have they not realized yet that there is no need for crazy power since most games are console ports?
Ya I said the same thing in the GTX 590 thread or whatever that stupid GPU is called. The problem is that we are in a "GPU Arms Race" like the Cold War. Thats the best example I can give. Both companies are in mass production and research to squeeze 5-10% out more of their GPUs, throw a new sticker on it, label it a new X-series, and sell it. BOTH COMPANIES ARE DOING THIS. This is completely not needed/should not have happened.
When 5870's are still holding strong as Logan from RAZETHEWORLD said, 5870 are still king, find 2 used, CF them and don't have to worry about GPU release's for some time. The 6-series is a joke, when my 5770 and If i choose to get my 2nd one back I have a 5870 again. The 500 series is a joke. Not because they suck tech wise, but because its stupid having these cards.
Games are not advancing in GFX like it was back a few years ago. We don't have any Far Cry 2, Crysis like engines in the making, no games are gonna require such power we have today. When PC gets 80% ports and the other 20% is homemade (made on PC, for PC) RTS/MMO games don't need even more than mid-range cards to run max.
NV and ATi both need to stop making cards right away, i mean NOW. Finish your 28nm relapse and call it quits for a year. Advance in some real tech that is worth showing or better yet, WORTH NEEDED. Give game devs time to make more demanding engines.
Just my 2cents.
P.S. Some will say this is how PC gaming goes "constantly upgrading" understood, but this is every month NV and Ati are launching new cards since Fermi went live last year. Enough is enough eh?Edited by kilrbe3 - 2/1/11 at 11:07am