Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Thinking of jumping on the Canikon bandwagon - any d7000 owners (canon equiv?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of jumping on the Canikon bandwagon - any d7000 owners (canon equiv?)

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
So I've been shooting with Pentax for a while now. And then Minolta before that. I'm looking at jumping ship from Pentax and going to a D7000 (Canon equiv - 60D?)

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has a D7000 and your response with it.
What else in the semi-pro range do people have first hand experience with?

I'm looking for a body just at the $1k mark.

Thanks in advance.

And, for a shameless plug, here's my old kit:
http://www.overclock.net/other-techn...vert-grip.html
Imp
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
Imp
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #2 of 23
Any reason you're jumping? Honestly, I'd just get a K-5 and be done with it...
post #3 of 23
The Canon equivalent would be the 60D.

Honestly though, with that sort of budget I'd rather look at the lenses I want to buy then go with the body that suits those lenses/budget. If I had $1,300 to spend on Canon gear, I'd grab a 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, and 85mm f/1.8 used and grab a 40D with the remaining ~$450.
post #4 of 23
i dont think theres much reason to jump ship...especially if you are going to stay on aps-c and are happy with the pentax lens/accessory support. the k5 i believe has the same sensor thats placed in the d7000 (the DXOmark score are very similar)

but there is no canon equivalent of the d7000, the d7000 sits somewhere between the 60d and the 7d.
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 23
D7000 = Amazing machine! here's a few points.. fast autofocus with 39 points, partial mag body with excellent weather sealing, iTTL, Dual sd cards (more useful than you may think) and the list goes on. Currently it's the best aps-c body you can buy.. many even consider it to be better than the more expensive canon 7d. If your gonna jump ship... then don't look further.
ATCS 420
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.8ghz Asus P8Z68 MSI Lightning 680 1324 Core 7100 Mem  Crucial Ballistix 2x4gb 1866 CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
64gb Crucial M4 +1 tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 + WD... GTZ cpu block + MIPS vrm block + feser 360 + mc... Windows 7 64-bit Yamakasi Catleap Q270 2560x1440 
PowerCaseAudioOther
Corsair HX750 CoolerMaster ATCS 840 Creative Titanium HD Sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
ATCS 420
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.8ghz Asus P8Z68 MSI Lightning 680 1324 Core 7100 Mem  Crucial Ballistix 2x4gb 1866 CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
64gb Crucial M4 +1 tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 + WD... GTZ cpu block + MIPS vrm block + feser 360 + mc... Windows 7 64-bit Yamakasi Catleap Q270 2560x1440 
PowerCaseAudioOther
Corsair HX750 CoolerMaster ATCS 840 Creative Titanium HD Sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
I don't care about the body that much - although the higher ISO (working) would be nice, but as someone mentioned, the K5 has that (and is a great camera).

I'm looking at getting into the Nikon / Canon mount.
See, I recently lost my job and I'm thinking of packing it in and changing careers. Talked with one agency in my area that does photography for churches, groups, etc and they're open to possibly having me on board (cross fingers!) But they only shoot with Canon or Nikon (company policy). I can use my own camera but then all repairs will be mine as well.

But, if I have my own canikon then I can use anything they have (that's not currently checked out by another shooter).

So it has nothing to do with the quality / lens / etc. but rather more about company politics.

Back to the positive side, both the 60D & the D7000 seems to be great little bodies. Not up to their big brothers, but also not at those price tags either.

I think I'm leaning a bit more to the D7000 with its focusing system, but it looks to be out of stock all over the place. What gives?
Imp
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
Imp
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaZyEddie187 View Post
D7000 = Amazing machine! here's a few points.. fast autofocus with 39 points, partial mag body with excellent weather sealing, iTTL, Dual sd cards (more useful than you may think) and the list goes on. Currently it's the best aps-c body you can buy.. many even consider it to be better than the more expensive canon 7d. If your gonna jump ship... then don't look further.
Not entirely accurate. IQ is on par with the 7D/60D (both use the same sensor) with a bit of leeway either way depending on the reviewer. It's not a clear-cut thing like, say, the D7000 vs the D3000.

It's a great camera, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best APS-C body.


Quote:
Originally Posted by beldecca View Post
I don't care about the body that much - although the higher ISO (working) would be nice, but as someone mentioned, the K5 has that (and is a great camera).

I'm looking at getting into the Nikon / Canon mount.
See, I recently lost my job and I'm thinking of packing it in and changing careers. Talked with one agency in my area that does photography for churches, groups, etc and they're open to possibly having me on board (cross fingers!) But they only shoot with Canon or Nikon (company policy). I can use my own camera but then all repairs will be mine as well.

But, if I have my own canikon then I can use anything they have (that's not currently checked out by another shooter).

So it has nothing to do with the quality / lens / etc. but rather more about company politics.

Back to the positive side, both the 60D & the D7000 seems to be great little bodies. Not up to their big brothers, but also not at those price tags either.

I think I'm leaning a bit more to the D7000 with its focusing system, but it looks to be out of stock all over the place. What gives?
It's a new body with a high demand.

Both the D7000 and the 60D are great cameras, and really you can't go wrong either way. If you want to go Nikon though, don't go lower than the D7000 (like the D3100) since if your company has legacy glass, it won't be able to AF.

On a side note, why not buy a used camera? The 50D and D90 are still some great choices.
Edited by r31ncarnat3d - 2/2/11 at 12:02pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaZyEddie187 View Post
D7000 = Amazing machine! here's a few points.. fast autofocus with 39 points, partial mag body with excellent weather sealing, iTTL, Dual sd cards (more useful than you may think) and the list goes on. Currently it's the best aps-c body you can buy.. many even consider it to be better than the more expensive canon 7d. If your gonna jump ship... then don't look further.
the problem with the d7000 is teh use of slow SD cards. sure two cards are nice to have (i have it on my sony) but i would gladly give up one SD card slot for a CF slot.

if you are not on a rush then wait for the d7000. but if you need the camera now, the 7d body only is going for <1500 at amazon or bh or adorama.
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz-n10 View Post
the problem with the d7000 is teh use of slow SD cards. sure two cards are nice to have (i have it on my sony) but i would gladly give up one SD card slot for a CF slot.
Speed of the SD doesn't make much difference. I rarely need to run more than a burst of 10 or so. four - five is much more common.

My last camera had CF and current one has SD - really haven't noticed much difference for what I do (although I can imagine that action / sports might see a difference).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaZyEddie187 View Post
D7000 = Amazing machine! here's a few points..
Do you know from 1st hand experience - do you own one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d

Both the D7000 and the 60D are great cameras, and really you can't go wrong either way. If you want to go Nikon though, don't go lower than the D7000 (like the D3100) since if your company has legacy glass, it won't be able to AF.

On a side note, why not buy a used camera? The 50D and D90 are still some great choices.
I was looking at them, but after your thoughts, I'm thinking at looking at the D90 & D300s. Both seem to be fine cameras. Does anyone know the list of Nikons with the crippled mount?

Thanks to all!
Imp
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
Imp
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by beldecca View Post

I was looking at them, but after your thoughts, I'm thinking at looking at the D90 & D300s. Both seem to be fine cameras. Does anyone know the list of Nikons with the crippled mount?

Thanks to all!
If by "crippled mount", you mean they lack an in-body AF motor,

D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Thinking of jumping on the Canikon bandwagon - any d7000 owners (canon equiv?)