Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › high high high temps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

high high high temps - Page 6

post #51 of 59
No it won't damage the chip, but once again if your temps are that high on an AMD chip, you are either overclocking too much or your cooling has something wrong with it. Either way it indicates a problem of some sort.

So what is your point in all this? sure the chip could handle 70c for a time. but in the end, if it is that high, you have other issues to fix first.

plain and simple, if you are stressing your cpu and it stays under 62c, you are golden, you go above that, you look into some way to fix that problem.
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post
No it won't damage the chip, but once again if your temps are that high on an AMD chip, you are either overclocking too much or your cooling has something wrong with it. Either way it indicates a problem of some sort.

So what is your point in all this? sure the chip could handle 70c for a time. but in the end, if it is that high, you have other issues to fix first.

plain and simple, if you are stressing your cpu and it stays under 62c, you are golden, you go above that, you look into some way to fix that problem.
I'm not disagreeing with you on that point at all and I in fact completely agree, if you read the post I quoted he said anything over 62c would seriously damage the cpu. That is what I was calling misinformation.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #53 of 59
yes, but making the user afraid to go over that 62c limit is a good thing. It makes it so that they are conscious of their chips temp, and won't exceed that limit, which was set by the manufacturer. It isnt' hurting anything by telling them that. Taking your intel over 90c is going to seriously damage the chip. Probably a good thing to think, but true? probably not.

Plus thermal throttling for the amd chips is like 70c so if you make it that far it will shut down your chip.
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post
yes, but making the user afraid to go over that 62c limit is a good thing. It makes it so that they are conscious of their chips temp, and won't exceed that limit, which was set by the manufacturer. It isnt' hurting anything by telling them that. Taking your intel over 90c is going to seriously damage the chip. Probably a good thing to think, but true? probably not.

Plus thermal throttling for the amd chips is like 70c so if you make it that far it will shut down your chip.
I suppose I see what you are saying. Still I prefer people to know the facts rather than scaring people with information that isn't entirely true.
Edited by scyy - 2/3/11 at 12:46am
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #55 of 59
that really isn't a conservative value. It really is the max temp you want to run your chip. Because if that is a temp you are hitting on a regular basis that is bad. When overclocking you don't want to exceed that because you want to keep the stress down on your chip.

I mean if a user really wants to know they can look it up. the chip is rated for 62c max.
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post
that really isn't a conservative value. It really is the max temp you want to run your chip. Because if that is a temp you are hitting on a regular basis that is bad. When overclocking you don't want to exceed that because you want to keep the stress down on your chip.

I mean if a user really wants to know they can look it up. the chip is rated for 62c max.
lol, I ninja edited it. I realize conservative value wasn't the best phrasing for that.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #57 of 59
tuche
post #58 of 59
Anyways, I didn't mean to start a whole argument with that. As I said I'm not recommending people running over rated max, just that its not as dangerous as some make it out to be.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #59 of 59
On air I broke into the 70's a couple times (mind you for very short amount of times, normally benching some synthetic cpu test), that said, its not a place you want to hang out in, or for that matter, be able to hang out in very long without some issues... probably want to address the cooling, theres some performance loss at high temps, (I found it) hard to bench real numbers though. There is definately a corallation between temps and stability... I suppose it just matters whatcha trying to do.

Lots of cars are designed to shut down the throttle around 120mph, that doesnt mean with some twiddlin it wont go faster than that, but the "guarantee" part sorta goes out the window. I dont suggest breaking the barrier without something in place to help you get their in a safe and reliable way.
 
Yukikaze
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1800X Asus C6 Hero AMD / ATI Reference AC VEGA 64cu - EK-FC-WB G.Skill DDR4 3200 2x8 Single Samsung B.Dies 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 960 NVME 250G Water Air Winblows 10c 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung CF791 34" 3440x1440 x100hz 48-100hz Fre... Logitech G15 TPX-775M NZXT Phantom "Original" 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
G700 Generic Black Neoprene Supreme FX S1220 Onboard Aerocool Touch 2100 
OtherOther
Revoltec CCFL 30cm Twin UV Rev 2 Revoltec CCFL 30cm Twin UV Rev 1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 be MSI NF980-G65 MSI R9 280X (2x) G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SSD DVD-RW 24x Custom water Windows 7 (build 7600) 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
B2230 Logitech G15 w/ LCD TPX-775M NZXT Phantom White 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech MX Revolution a black square SB X-Fi Titanium Sharkoon XTatic 
AudioOther
Logitech THX 5.1 Original G15 / Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Yukikaze
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1800X Asus C6 Hero AMD / ATI Reference AC VEGA 64cu - EK-FC-WB G.Skill DDR4 3200 2x8 Single Samsung B.Dies 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 960 NVME 250G Water Air Winblows 10c 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung CF791 34" 3440x1440 x100hz 48-100hz Fre... Logitech G15 TPX-775M NZXT Phantom "Original" 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
G700 Generic Black Neoprene Supreme FX S1220 Onboard Aerocool Touch 2100 
OtherOther
Revoltec CCFL 30cm Twin UV Rev 2 Revoltec CCFL 30cm Twin UV Rev 1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 be MSI NF980-G65 MSI R9 280X (2x) G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SSD DVD-RW 24x Custom water Windows 7 (build 7600) 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
B2230 Logitech G15 w/ LCD TPX-775M NZXT Phantom White 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech MX Revolution a black square SB X-Fi Titanium Sharkoon XTatic 
AudioOther
Logitech THX 5.1 Original G15 / Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › high high high temps