Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Tri-SLI GTX 570 questions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tri-SLI GTX 570 questions?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
First off, let me apologize to all of those who've had to put up with me and all of my GTX 570 questions lately, my head is swarming full of questions and everyone on here in the OCN community has been very helpful so thank you. Now to my question.

In the past week or so ive been going through a bit of a dilemma between the GTX 580 and GTX 570, and i have now finally concluded that i will be taking the GTX 570 SLI route over the GTX 580 SLI route, only because for $300 less i can get close enough performance, if not equal performance, to the GTX 580 with a little overclocking.

2 570s is $700, 2 580s is $1000, then i was thinking, if i was originally willing to spend $1000 on 2 580s, i can get a 3rd 570 for the same price, seems like a better money/power ratio, and 3 570s i think will own 2 580s, and 3 570s costs as much as 2 580s, only $50 more.

Im ordering 2 570s today, and am thinking (not set in stone) about picking up a 3rd 570 in about 2 weeks, its not a done decision yet but epeen is a man's best friend,lol. But what my main question is, what kind of performance increase will i notice from going to 2 570s to 3? There isnt that many benchmarks out there for me to review so what do you think ill see, FPS wise, in games? I know that in Metro 2033 1 570 gets around 30-45 fps, then a 2nd one pulls about 60-75, so what should i see if i add a 3rd?

Now, last and final question, my motherboard (ASUS RIIIXtreme) has 4 PCI-E slots, and i know that with 2-way SLI i can space them apart fine, but a 3rd card will force me to sandwich them together, and was wondering, with overclocking, on top of squeezing 3 570s close together, will there be any heat/fan problems? Or should i be fine?

Thanks again guys! biggrin.gif
Edited by 13thirty7 - 2/2/11 at 7:54am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.2 Ghz ASUS Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 570 SLI 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB WD + 80GB SSD (OS)+ 1TB WD Caviar Windows 7 ultimate x64 Samsung P2450H 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 2ms Saitek Cyborg v7 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1220W Kingwin Mach 1 Corsair Obsidian 800D Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 gaming mouse Flexiglow Cyber Snipa Tracer Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.2 Ghz ASUS Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 570 SLI 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB WD + 80GB SSD (OS)+ 1TB WD Caviar Windows 7 ultimate x64 Samsung P2450H 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 2ms Saitek Cyborg v7 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1220W Kingwin Mach 1 Corsair Obsidian 800D Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 gaming mouse Flexiglow Cyber Snipa Tracer Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 26
hey, have you thought of perhaps waiting a few more weeks and see if the price drops a bit? I mean if the 570 can be clocked neck to neck to the 580gtx then the 580 could be clocked even higher right? why not look around "fleebay" maybe you can get some folks selling their 580GTX for a reasonable / lowered price (maybe?)
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBirdman74;12233850 
hey, have you thought of perhaps waiting a few more weeks and see if the price drops a bit? I mean if the 570 can be clocked neck to neck to the 580gtx then the 580 could be clocked even higher right? why not look around "fleebay" maybe you can get some folks selling their 580GTX for a reasonable / lowered price (maybe?)

lowest ive seen is 480$ still is a retarded price.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.2 Ghz ASUS Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 570 SLI 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB WD + 80GB SSD (OS)+ 1TB WD Caviar Windows 7 ultimate x64 Samsung P2450H 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 2ms Saitek Cyborg v7 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1220W Kingwin Mach 1 Corsair Obsidian 800D Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 gaming mouse Flexiglow Cyber Snipa Tracer Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.2 Ghz ASUS Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 570 SLI 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB WD + 80GB SSD (OS)+ 1TB WD Caviar Windows 7 ultimate x64 Samsung P2450H 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 2ms Saitek Cyborg v7 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1220W Kingwin Mach 1 Corsair Obsidian 800D Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 gaming mouse Flexiglow Cyber Snipa Tracer Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 26
They were going for 380 used on newegg.
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thirty7;12233772 
Im ordering 2 570s today, and am thinking (not set in stone) about picking up a 3rd 570 in about 2 weeks, its not a done decision yet but epeen is a man's best friend,lol. But what my main question is, what kind of performance increase will i notice from going to 2 570s to 3? There isnt that many benchmarks out there for me to review so what do you think ill see, FPS wise, in games? I know that in Metro 2033 1 570 gets around 30-45 fps, then a 2nd one pulls about 60-75, so what should i see if i add a 3rd?

If you are running one monitor, you will see very little performance on most games, if any. Is 5fps worth $350~ dollars? Maybe, maybe not. I would do more research on your games with Sli vs Tri-sli before purchasing a third. Honestly, if you aren't running 2d-surround, I wouldn't pickup a 3rd, and if you were planning on 580's in the first place, get those. But if you wish to save money, stick with the dual 570's and overclock them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thirty7;12233772 
Now, last and final question, my motherboard (ASUS RIIIXtreme) has 4 PCI-E slots, and i know that with 2-way SLI i can space them apart fine, but a 3rd card will force me to sandwich them together, and was wondering, with overclocking, on top of squeezing 3 570s close together, will there be any heat/fan problems? Or should i be fine?

If you do pickup a third, unless your case is very windy, you should expect higher temps, especially when you are overlocking and certainly if you add any sort of voltage to them. You may get temps down running the fans fairly high when gaming / under load, or if you have fans blowing directly on them.
post #6 of 26
If you are only running 1 monitor I wouldn't even bother. I mean 1 570 at 1080p is enough lol you probably will barely notice the difference when you add a second let alone a third.
Rig 1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 @ 4.2 Ga P55-Usb3 Evga 570 @ 940/2100 1.1v 8Gb Ripjaw 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Callisto 40gb SSD Boot-1Tb WD Black Lite-on Dvd-Rw Win 7 64-bit Lg Flatron W2486L 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair 650tx Corsair 800D airflow modded Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
CS-M AK-47 DM 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig 1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 @ 4.2 Ga P55-Usb3 Evga 570 @ 940/2100 1.1v 8Gb Ripjaw 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Callisto 40gb SSD Boot-1Tb WD Black Lite-on Dvd-Rw Win 7 64-bit Lg Flatron W2486L 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair 650tx Corsair 800D airflow modded Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
CS-M AK-47 DM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thirty7;12233772 
First off, let me apologize to all of those who've had to put up with me and all of my GTX 570 questions lately, my head is swarming full of questions and everyone on here in the OCN community has been very helpful so thank you. Now to my question.

In the past week or so ive been going through a bit of a dilemma between the GTX 580 and GTX 570, and i have now finally concluded that i will be taking the GTX 570 SLI route over the GTX 580 SLI route, only because for $300 less i can get close enough performance, if not equal performance, to the GTX 580 with a little overclocking.

2 570s is $700, 2 580s is $1000, then i was thinking, if i was originally willing to spend $1000 on 2 580s, i can get a 3rd 570 for the same price, seems like a better money/power ratio, and 3 570s i think will own 2 580s, and 3 570s costs as much as 2 580s, only $50 more.

Im ordering 2 570s today, and am thinking (not set in stone) about picking up a 3rd 570 in about 2 weeks, its not a done decision yet but epeen is a man's best friend,lol. But what my main question is, what kind of performance increase will i notice from going to 2 570s to 3? There isnt that many benchmarks out there for me to review so what do you think ill see, FPS wise, in games? I know that in Metro 2033 1 570 gets around 30-45 fps, then a 2nd one pulls about 60-75, so what should i see if i add a 3rd?

Now, last and final question, my motherboard (ASUS RIIIXtreme) has 4 PCI-E slots, and i know that with 2-way SLI i can space them apart fine, but a 3rd card will force me to sandwich them together, and was wondering, with overclocking, on top of squeezing 3 570s close together, will there be any heat/fan problems? Or should i be fine?

Thanks again guys! biggrin.gif
I went through the same thing when the 570's came out, I was even on the 580 setup list but cancelled and got the 570's instead.

If you're already thinking SLI x3, you're probably better off with 580's keeping room for a future 580. I can tell you that if 2D surround (3 monitors) is something you want to consider down the road, 2x 570's can't run Metro 2033 playable with a decent setting IMO. Once you've played a few hours in 2D surround, it's hard to go back. Basically the difference watching full screen vs wide screen movies. Crysis 2 will be interesting since I can finally now run Crysis 1 with my 2x 570's with max settings.
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thirty7;12233772 
First off, let me apologize to all of those who've had to put up with me and all of my GTX 570 questions lately, my head is swarming full of questions and everyone on here in the OCN community has been very helpful so thank you. Now to my question.

In the past week or so ive been going through a bit of a dilemma between the GTX 580 and GTX 570, and i have now finally concluded that i will be taking the GTX 570 SLI route over the GTX 580 SLI route, only because for $300 less i can get close enough performance, if not equal performance, to the GTX 580 with a little overclocking.

2 570s is $700, 2 580s is $1000, then i was thinking, if i was originally willing to spend $1000 on 2 580s, i can get a 3rd 570 for the same price, seems like a better money/power ratio, and 3 570s i think will own 2 580s, and 3 570s costs as much as 2 580s, only $50 more.

Im ordering 2 570s today, and am thinking (not set in stone) about picking up a 3rd 570 in about 2 weeks, its not a done decision yet but epeen is a man's best friend,lol. But what my main question is, what kind of performance increase will i notice from going to 2 570s to 3? There isnt that many benchmarks out there for me to review so what do you think ill see, FPS wise, in games? I know that in Metro 2033 1 570 gets around 30-45 fps, then a 2nd one pulls about 60-75, so what should i see if i add a 3rd?

Now, last and final question, my motherboard (ASUS RIIIXtreme) has 4 PCI-E slots, and i know that with 2-way SLI i can space them apart fine, but a 3rd card will force me to sandwich them together, and was wondering, with overclocking, on top of squeezing 3 570s close together, will there be any heat/fan problems? Or should i be fine?

Thanks again guys! biggrin.gif

Overclock the 570s to 850 core and you'll get 51.5fps like I did. biggrin.gif
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaddict;12234835 
I went through the same thing when the 570's came out, I was even on the 580 setup list but cancelled and got the 570's instead.

If you're already thinking SLI x3, you're probably better off with 580's keeping room for a future 580. I can tell you that if 2D surround (3 monitors) is something you want to consider down the road, 2x 570's can't run Metro 2033 playable with a decent setting IMO. Once you've played a few hours in 2D surround, it's hard to go back. Basically the difference watching full screen vs wide screen movies. Crysis 2 will be interesting since I can finally now run Crysis 1 with my 2x 570's with max settings.

the 580s just seem so unworth it! $500? Seriously?! Why get a 580 for 500$ when you can get a 570 for 150$ less and overclock it to a 580? It makes so much more sense, just like with the 6950 and 6970, why spend the extra money on a 6970 when a 6950 is technically a 6970 with a few tweaking?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.2 Ghz ASUS Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 570 SLI 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB WD + 80GB SSD (OS)+ 1TB WD Caviar Windows 7 ultimate x64 Samsung P2450H 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 2ms Saitek Cyborg v7 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1220W Kingwin Mach 1 Corsair Obsidian 800D Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 gaming mouse Flexiglow Cyber Snipa Tracer Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.2 Ghz ASUS Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 570 SLI 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB WD + 80GB SSD (OS)+ 1TB WD Caviar Windows 7 ultimate x64 Samsung P2450H 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 2ms Saitek Cyborg v7 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1220W Kingwin Mach 1 Corsair Obsidian 800D Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 gaming mouse Flexiglow Cyber Snipa Tracer Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89;12234865 
Overclock the 570s to 850 core and you'll get 51.5fps like I did. biggrin.gif

and that seems low but that game is so demanding, people forget to realize how stressful it is on GPUs, people always wanna see and also expect like 150 fps! People like to blame there video cards but half of the reason is the application, what youre running, you could have the most powerful card on earth but if you play a game or are running something that is more complex coding wise then your god-like card will look like a ballerina!lol.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.2 Ghz ASUS Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 570 SLI 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB WD + 80GB SSD (OS)+ 1TB WD Caviar Windows 7 ultimate x64 Samsung P2450H 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 2ms Saitek Cyborg v7 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1220W Kingwin Mach 1 Corsair Obsidian 800D Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 gaming mouse Flexiglow Cyber Snipa Tracer Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.2 Ghz ASUS Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 570 SLI 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB WD + 80GB SSD (OS)+ 1TB WD Caviar Windows 7 ultimate x64 Samsung P2450H 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 2ms Saitek Cyborg v7 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1220W Kingwin Mach 1 Corsair Obsidian 800D Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 gaming mouse Flexiglow Cyber Snipa Tracer Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Tri-SLI GTX 570 questions?