New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Security noob

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
As the title says, I am considered a security noob and I know it. I am aware of the normal processes like Kaspersky Anti virus with firewall and how to enable security settings on my router. BUT what are some other processes that could be performed to protect my network and data?

Education please
OverKill
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Gigabyte 890FXA ATI FirePro V3800 ATI FirePro V3800 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16gb GSkill 10666 Seagate Western Digital  LG Blue Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
stock air 7 Pro 64 bit (2)22" Acer x223w (2)23" Acer G235H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Wireless Antec 900watt Antec 300 Wacom Tablet 
Audio
Logitech Speakers and sub 
  hide details  
Reply
OverKill
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Gigabyte 890FXA ATI FirePro V3800 ATI FirePro V3800 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16gb GSkill 10666 Seagate Western Digital  LG Blue Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
stock air 7 Pro 64 bit (2)22" Acer x223w (2)23" Acer G235H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Wireless Antec 900watt Antec 300 Wacom Tablet 
Audio
Logitech Speakers and sub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 4
One person who was considered the "king" of hackers gave a bit of a apprasial to the US Congress (after 5 years in prison). In this little speech he gave he explained that technology was involved in only 10% of his network "break ins' the other 90% came from using the tools of the con man.

For the home. Keep all AV programs for OSes and AV programs for applications up to date. I run an Untangle box in front of my web server and it has been a blessing. You should see the log about what is being blocked. To get my server it has to be specifically targeted to port 80 and no one has tried that ,yet.Security is not a "set it once and forget it" type of thing. The Untangle and the web server have been up for some weeks now and all is well,and that is with an open port 80.
WC Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930@4.05GHz ASUS P6X58D-Preminum XFX GeForce 275 896mb 6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 150gb Raptor LightScan Win 7 64-bit Acer 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620W Antec 1200 several various 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
WC Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930@4.05GHz ASUS P6X58D-Preminum XFX GeForce 275 896mb 6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 150gb Raptor LightScan Win 7 64-bit Acer 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620W Antec 1200 several various 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCCstudent View Post
One person who was considered the "king" of hackers gave a bit of a apprasial to the US Congress (after 5 years in prison). In this little speech he gave he explained that technology was involved in only 10% of his network "break ins' the other 90% came from using the tools of the con man.

For the home. Keep all AV programs for OSes and AV programs for applications up to date. I run an Untangle box in front of my web server and it has been a blessing. You should see the log about what is being blocked. To get my server it has to be specifically targeted to port 80 and no one has tried that ,yet.Security is not a "set it once and forget it" type of thing. The Untangle and the web server have been up for some weeks now and all is well,and that is with an open port 80.
port 80 is new for me, explain in detail please
OverKill
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Gigabyte 890FXA ATI FirePro V3800 ATI FirePro V3800 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16gb GSkill 10666 Seagate Western Digital  LG Blue Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
stock air 7 Pro 64 bit (2)22" Acer x223w (2)23" Acer G235H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Wireless Antec 900watt Antec 300 Wacom Tablet 
Audio
Logitech Speakers and sub 
  hide details  
Reply
OverKill
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Gigabyte 890FXA ATI FirePro V3800 ATI FirePro V3800 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16gb GSkill 10666 Seagate Western Digital  LG Blue Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
stock air 7 Pro 64 bit (2)22" Acer x223w (2)23" Acer G235H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Wireless Antec 900watt Antec 300 Wacom Tablet 
Audio
Logitech Speakers and sub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicsman View Post
port 80 is new for me, explain in detail please
Huh? He's running a home web server..

Hardware security is just as important and software. At home people can't afford IDS or IPS, hardware firewalls, or complex network monitoring. Even if they could why would they? What is there really to protect against that common sense and a relative understanding that if you visit shady sites you'll get shady results.

For home use, Microsoft, NAT and free ainti-virus software has pretty much got you covered. If someone with a decent amount of enumeration skills looking for a specific open port and running service vulnerability just happens to come across your IP address and match what he's looking for your toast anyway. Keep your software updated and use common sense.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security