Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Cheap file server
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheap file server - Page 3

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKl;12258974 
I would just try booting without a graphics card, If it wont then i guess just leave that cheap card in its going to be idle most of the time anyway. Other than that it sounds good, you can remote desktop in once set up etc ("headless").

I won't post without a video card of some kind (integrated or otherwise. Video, cpu, ram, board and power are requirements for a POST.
i7 on the cheap
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 Gigabyte X58A-UD7 evga GTX470 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 160GB LG GBW-H20L Windows 7 Ultimate Acer GD235HZ 23.6" 120HZ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rocketfish 900W 80+ Silver Corsair Obsidian 800D Cyborg Rat 7 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 on the cheap
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 Gigabyte X58A-UD7 evga GTX470 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 160GB LG GBW-H20L Windows 7 Ultimate Acer GD235HZ 23.6" 120HZ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rocketfish 900W 80+ Silver Corsair Obsidian 800D Cyborg Rat 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;12258852 
Considering the baseline for RAID implementations has been around for nearly 20 years, not sure how you can make the argument that something such as TLER is a requirement for running RAID.

TLER only became a requirement when drives started to perform error recovery operations. 20 years ago they didn't - so TLER was not needed. Nowadays however, the very features that make drives more reliable in single configurations can make them incompatible with some controllers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;12258852 
If you run into a situation where you actually need TLER, your drive is probably already in need of replacement and should be dropped from the array to begin with.

This is partly true. However just because a drive enters an error recovery cycle doesn't mean it needs to be replaced. Bad sectors are routinely remapped by drives with little or no ill effects, and you can get drives with remapped sectors from the factory. The presence of a remapped sector doesn't mean a drive is faulty or dying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;12258852 
They don't provide data recovery even if you have a single drive, not sure what your point is..
RMA the drive since it failed, RAID or not it would likely have a similar usage pattern.

Providing support, and offering RMAs or data recovery are not the same thing. If you tell them you are having issues in RAID they will tell you not to use the drive in RAID. They won't offer data recovery whatever you do, and RMAs are completely different. We're not talking about the drive failing - a perfectly healthy drive can still drop out of an array because it's not designed to be used in one.

I'm not sure what any of your points have been in this thread.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman;12258996 
I won't post without a video card of some kind (integrated or otherwise. Video, cpu, ram, board and power are requirements for a POST.

This just isn't true. Having video hardware is not a requirement in order for the POST to complete at all, although the BIOS should throw out an error to let you know the video hardware is faulty or missing. If your BIOS has the option to ignore that error then you can complete POST just fine and use the system headless with no graphics hardware present at all.

I have 4 systems running like this in my house right now...
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast;12259035 
This just isn't true. Having video hardware is not a requirement in order for the POST to complete at all, although the BIOS should throw out an error to let you know the video hardware is faulty or missing. If your BIOS has the option to ignore that error then you can complete POST just fine and use the system headless with no graphics hardware present at all.

I have 4 systems running like this in my house right now...

I've never seen that option in a computer yet, what kind of hardware are you running?
i7 on the cheap
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 Gigabyte X58A-UD7 evga GTX470 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 160GB LG GBW-H20L Windows 7 Ultimate Acer GD235HZ 23.6" 120HZ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rocketfish 900W 80+ Silver Corsair Obsidian 800D Cyborg Rat 7 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 on the cheap
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 Gigabyte X58A-UD7 evga GTX470 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 160GB LG GBW-H20L Windows 7 Ultimate Acer GD235HZ 23.6" 120HZ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rocketfish 900W 80+ Silver Corsair Obsidian 800D Cyborg Rat 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 27
A Gigabyte P31 board (forget the model), a Gigabyte 945 board, an old Supermicro dual P3 board and an old MSI s462 board are the ones I have running at the moment with no VGA hardware at all present. I don't have anything newer that doesn't have some form of GPU built in though - all my proper servers have token VGA hardware built in (8MB Rage XLs mostly).
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;12258852 
Considering the baseline for RAID implementations has been around for nearly 20 years, not sure how you can make the argument that something such as TLER is a requirement for running RAID.

If you run into a situation where you actually need TLER, your drive is probably already in need of replacement and should be dropped from the array to begin with.

There's a quoted statement from Western Digital themselves here.

TLER didn't exist 20 years ago, as far as I am aware. The point is that it exists today, and situations which require it (i.e. hardware and firmware RAID implementations) must be dealt with today.
Quote:
They don't provide data recovery even if you have a single drive, not sure what your point is.. RMA the drive since it failed, RAID or not it would likely have a similar usage pattern.

I never mentioned data recovery. With warranty support, data recovery is an added extra. It goes like this: when you return a drive to Western Digital, they replace it before they actually get the shipment in their hands (this was explained to me by a WD employee, and happens regardless of Advanced Replacement. This is in Europe though - other offices may handle things differently). However, even though you tell them what's in the box, they simply lay their hands on the first drive they see which is the same or "better" than what you sent them.

The upshot of this is that if you ship a drive or drives to them, you'll likely get a higher capacity drive as a replacement. This is likely useless for drives in a RAID configuration. If your drive is part of a RAID set, you have to explicitly tell them so in the shipment notes or over the phone. This happens even if you ship them a pair of RAID Edition drives - I know this from experience; I RMA'd two 250GB REs, and I received a 250GB and a 500GB, both RE spec.

If however, you tell them that your desktop-class drive was used in a RAID configuration, it seems that they would refuse to support you since you have "violated" the terms of the warranty.

EDIT:

Quoted from Western Digital's Warranty page:
Quote:
Your Use of the Product

WD will have no liability for any Product returned if WD determines that:

The product was stolen from WD.
The asserted defect:
is not present,
cannot reasonably be fixed because of damage occurring when the Product is in the possession of someone other than WD, or
is attributable to misuse, improper installation, alteration (including removing or obliterating labels and opening or removing external covers (unless authorized to do so by Western Digital or an authorized Service Center)), accident or mishandling while in the possession of someone other than WD.
The Product was not sold to you as new.
The product was not used in accordance with Western Digital specifications and instructions.
The product was not used for its intended function (for example, desktop drives used in an Enterprise environment).

The bolded part could be interpreted in a number of ways, i.e a desktop-class hard drive in a company's workstation, or even a desktop-class drive in a server. I suspect though that it means "desktop-class drive used in a RAID configuration", or includes it among other interpretations.
Edited by parityboy - 2/4/11 at 11:28am
Ryzen
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3 Palit GT-430 Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO AMD Wraith Spire Linux Mint 18.x Dell UltraSharp U2414H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8185 Thermaltake ToughPower 850W Lian-Li PC-A04B Logitech Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3 Palit GT-430 Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO AMD Wraith Spire Linux Mint 18.x Dell UltraSharp U2414H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8185 Thermaltake ToughPower 850W Lian-Li PC-A04B Logitech Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 27
I would just like to ask if anyone would like to join my server owners club?
http://www.overclock.net/member-run-clubs/918999-server-owners-club-d.html
Thanks smile.gif.
Roof Ski
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @4ghz HT on 1v XFX X58I SLi 295's 12GB OCZ Obsidian 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
ocz agility 3 + 4TB Drives Samsung DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate x64 2x Samsung 24"s + DELL E248WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G11 Sleeved corsair ax850 800D Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
Roof Ski
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @4ghz HT on 1v XFX X58I SLi 295's 12GB OCZ Obsidian 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
ocz agility 3 + 4TB Drives Samsung DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate x64 2x Samsung 24"s + DELL E248WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G11 Sleeved corsair ax850 800D Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Cheap file server