Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [NS] Private info on Facebook increasingly used in court
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[NS] Private info on Facebook increasingly used in court - Page 2

post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 
Agreed, this spells nothing but trouble.
Chii
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L XFX 6850 G.SKILL 2 x 2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda Samsung F3 WD Green WD essential  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG super multi Tuniq Tower 120 Windows 7 Pro 64bit Acer 23" X233Hbid 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor Rosewill RD600N Antec Nine-Hundered modded G500 
Mouse Pad
Anime Chest 
  hide details  
Reply
Chii
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L XFX 6850 G.SKILL 2 x 2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda Samsung F3 WD Green WD essential  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG super multi Tuniq Tower 120 Windows 7 Pro 64bit Acer 23" X233Hbid 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor Rosewill RD600N Antec Nine-Hundered modded G500 
Mouse Pad
Anime Chest 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 27
I recently used my ex wife's account against her in our divorce. She was constantly going out and dropping off my daughter at her parents to go party on her days when she was supposed to be taking care of her (and documenting her escapades online). She told the judge she never ever went out. Her story quickly changed when the printed off Facebook pages were presented.

Lets just say I get my daughter fifty percent of the time and I don't have to pay child support. Facebook is like twitter, think before you post it. And if you marry an IT guy/gal, watch your back.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600k @ 4.4Ghz Asus Prime Z270-A Sapphire R9 Fury X 16GB Avexir DDR-4 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 + 850 Evo 1TB + 64GB ... Be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SilentWings Windows 10 x64 Professional LG 34UG79G-B Ultrawide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma + Razer Orbweaver Ch... Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750 NZXT s340 Elite Razer Mamba TE 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Steelseries QcK Sound Blaster Z HyperX Cloud 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600k @ 4.4Ghz Asus Prime Z270-A Sapphire R9 Fury X 16GB Avexir DDR-4 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 + 850 Evo 1TB + 64GB ... Be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SilentWings Windows 10 x64 Professional LG 34UG79G-B Ultrawide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma + Razer Orbweaver Ch... Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750 NZXT s340 Elite Razer Mamba TE 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Steelseries QcK Sound Blaster Z HyperX Cloud 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrenolds08 View Post
I recently used my ex wife's account against her in our divorce. She was constantly going out and dropping off my daughter at her parents to go party on her days when she was supposed to be taking care of her (and documenting her escapades online). She told the judge she never ever went out. Her story quickly changed when the printed off Facebook pages were presented.

Lets just say I get my daughter fifty percent of the time and I don't have to pay child support. Facebook is like twitter, think before you post it. And if you marry an IT guy/gal, watch your back.
You need to be care with that as well, if you logged in under her account you could be charged for that as well. In this case it turned out in your favor but you need to be extremely careful with that, especially if you don't have permission to login to the account.
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post
You need to be care with that as well, if you logged in under her account you could be charged for that as well. In this case it turned out in your favor but you need to be extremely careful with that, especially if you don't have permission to login to the account.
Ah, see there is a loophole I used. While married she friended pretty much my entire family. The second she started logging in all her "fun nights" my sisters gave me their account info, giving me access to her wall, so I could periodically log in and print off.

Lets just say that judges do not appreciate lying in court.
Edited by ryanrenolds08 - 2/2/11 at 1:12pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600k @ 4.4Ghz Asus Prime Z270-A Sapphire R9 Fury X 16GB Avexir DDR-4 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 + 850 Evo 1TB + 64GB ... Be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SilentWings Windows 10 x64 Professional LG 34UG79G-B Ultrawide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma + Razer Orbweaver Ch... Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750 NZXT s340 Elite Razer Mamba TE 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Steelseries QcK Sound Blaster Z HyperX Cloud 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600k @ 4.4Ghz Asus Prime Z270-A Sapphire R9 Fury X 16GB Avexir DDR-4 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 + 850 Evo 1TB + 64GB ... Be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SilentWings Windows 10 x64 Professional LG 34UG79G-B Ultrawide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma + Razer Orbweaver Ch... Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750 NZXT s340 Elite Razer Mamba TE 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Steelseries QcK Sound Blaster Z HyperX Cloud 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post
I disagree with this. If facebook says it's private, then it should be private.

Now I can see when this could be useful for people trying to commit fraud, but that shouldn't allow people to gain that kind of information nonetheless.
That makes just as much sense in saying that your private computer is private, therefore law enforcement shouldn't have access to it.

Doesn't matter if something is referred to as private--the info is still possible evidence for law enforcement or civil proceedings, ergo it should be accessed.

Not that any of your "private" info on Facebook is private anyway. All it means is that the random slobs that troll facebook looking for profiles won't be able to see it easily. Doesn't mean that FB won't use or sell that info to anyone else.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrenolds08 View Post
Ah, see there is a loophole I used. While married she friended pretty much my entire family. The second she started logging in all her "fun nights" my sisters gave me their account info, giving me access to her wall, so I could periodically log in and print off.

Lets just say that judges do not appreciate lying in court.
Ahhhhh Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
That makes just as much sense in saying that your private computer is private, therefore law enforcement shouldn't have access to it.

Doesn't matter if something is referred to as private--the info is still possible evidence for law enforcement or civil proceedings, ergo it should be accessed.

Not that any of your "private" info on Facebook is private anyway. All it means is that the random slobs that troll facebook looking for profiles won't be able to see it easily. Doesn't mean that FB won't use or sell that info to anyone else.
Everything on my pc is private and will stay that way. I have many things in place that it would take way to much time to try to brute force or even decrypt my encrypted drives. Also, encrypted drives within encrypted drives will stop anything currently specially if you have some serious encryption levels.
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post
Ahhhhh Good one.



Everything on my pc is private and will stay that way. I have many things in place that it would take way to much time to try to brute force or even decrypt my encrypted drives. Also, encrypted drives within encrypted drives will stop anything currently specially if you have some serious encryption levels.
I hate to say this, but unless you work for the government to develop high-level encryption algorithms, whatever you use on your home computer is probably quite trivial for them to crack if they wanted to--even encrypted files within encrypted files. But that wasn't the point of me saying that private info isn't really private--I meant that just because items (or information) are deemed private (i.e. not explicitly public) does not make them untouchable to lawyers, law enforcement, etc. The info on your computer might be protected through encryption algorithms, but it doesn't mean that your computer cannot be confiscated (along with the files on it) as evidence in some civil or criminal case.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
I hate to say this, but unless you work for the government to develop high-level encryption algorithms, whatever you use on your home computer is probably quite trivial for them to crack if they wanted to--even encrypted files within encrypted files. But that wasn't the point of me saying that private info isn't really private--I meant that just because items (or information) are deemed private (i.e. not explicitly public) does not make them untouchable to lawyers, law enforcement, etc. The info on your computer might be protected through encryption algorithms, but it doesn't mean that your computer cannot be confiscated (along with the files on it) as evidence in some civil or criminal case.
You're right they can take it but I do not have to give them any information. Don't forget they also need probable cause (or used to until the patriot act). Also BitLocker on my main os drive and my storage drives encrypted with the maximum level of encryption with truecrypt is actually VERY effective and very hard to decrypt in a reasonable amount of time.
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 27
My whole house is encrypted, beat that.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
That makes just as much sense in saying that your private computer is private, therefore law enforcement shouldn't have access to it.

Doesn't matter if something is referred to as private--the info is still possible evidence for law enforcement or civil proceedings, ergo it should be accessed.

Not that any of your "private" info on Facebook is private anyway. All it means is that the random slobs that troll facebook looking for profiles won't be able to see it easily. Doesn't mean that FB won't use or sell that info to anyone else.
You are confusing warranted search and seizure with information gathered for a civil suit. Sure, the police should be granted access to your personal stuff when a warrant is properly obtained, but that doesn't mean anyone should be privy to that info.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [NS] Private info on Facebook increasingly used in court