Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [NS] Private info on Facebook increasingly used in court
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[NS] Private info on Facebook increasingly used in court - Page 3

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
You are confusing warranted search and seizure with information gathered for a civil suit. Sure, the police should be granted access to your personal stuff when a warrant is properly obtained, but that doesn't mean anyone should be privy to that info.
True--I didn't mean that just anyone should have access to such info. Also, I think I was typing too fast--yes, there's definitely a difference between having and exercising a warrant for physical evidence for a criminal case, and getting information for a civil case. But a judge can issue a subpoena for information for a civil case--doesn't have to be just criminal.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post
It's not being stupid, when company tells you that your info is private and then they turn around and let people access that data that is a problem with the company and also a breach in privacy.

That's like saying you're stupid for putting your money in a bank and some how your accounts get drained either by bank error or by identity theft.

You put your trust into that bank to protect you from these things. Just like how people want their privacy protected on facebook. This should be no fault of the user if they have all their privacy settings setup correctly and their info still gets accessed.

It's just bad business on those companies that eagerly give away your info that's the problem not the consumers.
No, giving your private info to facebook is more like trusting a crack addict with your money than a bank.

They make there money entirely by taking user data and either using it to generate ads or selling it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
I hate to say this, but unless you work for the government to develop high-level encryption algorithms, whatever you use on your home computer is probably quite trivial for them to crack if they wanted to--even encrypted files within encrypted files. But that wasn't the point of me saying that private info isn't really private--I meant that just because items (or information) are deemed private (i.e. not explicitly public) does not make them untouchable to lawyers, law enforcement, etc. The info on your computer might be protected through encryption algorithms, but it doesn't mean that your computer cannot be confiscated (along with the files on it) as evidence in some civil or criminal case.
Actually truecrypt utilizes AES, same standard used for encryption everywhere. Approved for use with top secret docs I believe.
Edited by serge2k - 2/3/11 at 12:32am
    
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
2500k P8P67 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 22" phillips 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Cheap Logitech Antec Earthwatts 650W Razer Deathadder Razer eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
2500k P8P67 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 22" phillips 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Cheap Logitech Antec Earthwatts 650W Razer Deathadder Razer eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 27
And this is why you don't put private information on facebook.

The funny thing is, every time i log on. They ask me for my phone number and another email address for "security reasons". yeah... no.
post #24 of 27
Thread Starter 
Yeah I hate that. They tell you your account isn't secure because you don't have another email and you don't have your phone number added. What a crock of crap. If I didn't have relatives and friends in other parts of the country that use it for communication I would have trashed mine long ago. But even if i delete it now it's not like that will help or solve anything, that's the problem with it, it's getting tied to everything now and making everyone more public. At this point it doesn't look like the FB crave will die out anytime soon, so we're bound to see a lot more of these cases popping up in the coming months.
Chii
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L XFX 6850 G.SKILL 2 x 2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda Samsung F3 WD Green WD essential  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG super multi Tuniq Tower 120 Windows 7 Pro 64bit Acer 23" X233Hbid 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor Rosewill RD600N Antec Nine-Hundered modded G500 
Mouse Pad
Anime Chest 
  hide details  
Reply
Chii
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L XFX 6850 G.SKILL 2 x 2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda Samsung F3 WD Green WD essential  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG super multi Tuniq Tower 120 Windows 7 Pro 64bit Acer 23" X233Hbid 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor Rosewill RD600N Antec Nine-Hundered modded G500 
Mouse Pad
Anime Chest 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 27
Yup, Facebook has privacy issues. My account was hacked on Tuesday night because of a phishing scam. If you're not careful, almost anyone can access your private information online.
Aspire
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium Dual Core E2200 Gigabyte GA073PVM-52H 4GB DDR2 Intel X25-M G2, AALS 640GB RAID0, 1TB SG RAID1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows Vista Home Premium Acer 17" monitor Acer Corsair 1000hx 
CaseMouse
Acer Aspire Acer 
  hide details  
Reply
Aspire
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium Dual Core E2200 Gigabyte GA073PVM-52H 4GB DDR2 Intel X25-M G2, AALS 640GB RAID0, 1TB SG RAID1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows Vista Home Premium Acer 17" monitor Acer Corsair 1000hx 
CaseMouse
Acer Aspire Acer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Actually truecrypt utilizes AES, same standard used for encryption everywhere. Approved for use with top secret docs I believe.
Agreed that the encryption algorithm might be approved for top-secret documents, but it doesn't mean that there isn't another algorithm that cannot crack it easily. I honestly can't say either way, since I don't work in that area, but common sense to me would say that if there's a publicly-available encryption method, there are probably a dozen unspoken ones that are being used to crack said encryption methods.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post
I disagree with this. If facebook says it's private, then it should be private.

Now I can see when this could be useful for people trying to commit fraud, but that shouldn't allow people to gain that kind of information nonetheless.
It's one thing if some hacker got on and stole the info - but Facebook blatantly just sells it to whoever, and that is their "business model".

Like the family that ended up with their family pictures all over billboards and the sides of buses in Prague, Facebook just let anyone scam that photo and do whatever, because it was "business".

I think it is a cop out to just say "it's the Internet, nothing is secure", because really, I do not expect that having an account on say, Overclock.net, means that all of my information is to be sold for cash profit to whoever.

Facebook is one piece of work...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [NS] Private info on Facebook increasingly used in court