Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Local Craigslist: Are any of these listings worth a look?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Local Craigslist: Are any of these listings worth a look?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hey OCN, I am determined to get a DSLR. And I figured perhaps one spot I could check out was Craigslist for those selling some really discounted cameras, lenses, and accessories. After all there are a lot of people who know nothing about DSLR's, buy one, don't use it or don't know enough and just sell it off. I have taken photography classes in college as I graduated with multimedia design & development as one of my degrees, so I do know some things and have a decent eye. That being said I am no expert with determining value for a field I have not entered into with my own equipment.

Here is the link to my local area
for DSLR as the search term in Columbus, Ohio.

With the introduction and link out of the way I was just wondering if there any products that stuck out to you that you go "wow, how could someone sell something like that for that low of a price?" Given I have no camera body yet I am not bias towards any glass or brand. From what I can tell most manufacturers produce relatively equal value products and the prices for the bodies are very similar. Of course glass will make a huge difference, and again I have no idea who really makes good glass or if I should aim for any particular brand.

As far as what I want to shoot. Well, day-at-night, landscape, urban, modeling, products. I could do action shots as well, but I think most cameras have pretty good speed these days.

Thanks in advance. I need the help and advice. I value quality, expansion, and price/performance.
post #2 of 13
This guy seems desperate to sell, but the price is too high. Maybe you can use that to your advantage and drop the price to $850? (What I'd value it to be at)

This D90 is an excellent deal. If you want to go Nikon, I'd def consider this.

That about does it for all the Canikon stuff. I don't know much about other brands so I can't comment.

Personally, I'd go for that D90 deal, or if you feel charismatic enough, try to use the guy's desperation to lower the price on that T2i (his labeling of an entry-level kit as "professional" ticks me off enough to suggest this).

And in case you haven't checked it out yet, this place is a great place to find used gear.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d View Post
This guy seems desperate to sell, but the price is too high. Maybe you can use that to your advantage and drop the price to $850? (What I'd value it to be at)

This D90 is an excellent deal. If you want to go Nikon, I'd def consider this.

That about does it for all the Canikon stuff. I don't know much about other brands so I can't comment.

Personally, I'd go for that D90 deal, or if you feel charismatic enough, try to use the guy's desperation to lower the price on that T2i (his labeling of an entry-level kit as "professional" ticks me off enough to suggest this).

And in case you haven't checked it out yet, this place is a great place to find used gear.
Thanks .... I will have to check all that out including the website link. Do you think those two you pointed out are good mid level cameras? I just fear being limited by something just a few months into the hobby because I should have spent a little more. I don't want to walk into a DSLR club (making that up) and have people look at me and say "That is a small fry or starter camera."
post #4 of 13
that D90 is a god damn STEAL! GO FOR IT
Hobbes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 4790K GA-Z97X-SOC Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB EK Predator 240mm Windows 7 x64 Das Keyboard 4 Professional CherryMX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X750 Gold Corsair Carbide Air 540 Logitech G900 Schiit Bifrost Uber W/ USB Gen 2 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp Audioengine N22 Speaker Amp AudioQuest Nighthawk Audioengine P4 Monitors. 
  hide details  
Reply
Hobbes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 4790K GA-Z97X-SOC Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB EK Predator 240mm Windows 7 x64 Das Keyboard 4 Professional CherryMX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X750 Gold Corsair Carbide Air 540 Logitech G900 Schiit Bifrost Uber W/ USB Gen 2 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp Audioengine N22 Speaker Amp AudioQuest Nighthawk Audioengine P4 Monitors. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoddimusPrime View Post
Thanks .... I will have to check all that out including the website link. Do you think those two you pointed out are good mid level cameras? I just fear being limited by something just a few months into the hobby because I should have spent a little more. I don't want to walk into a DSLR club (making that up) and have people look at me and say "That is a small fry or starter camera."
If they do that to you, it's not worth joining in the first place. Cameras/lenses are tools, and while helpful, it depends ultimately on the person using the tool. People who don't realize this and judge photographers based on how expensive their gear is or the brand on their gear are in my experience absolutely stupid and horrid photographers in the first place.

Think of it this way: If you're playing a game, which would help you get more kills: practicing and honing your skills or buying an i7 980x with tri-SLI 580s?

It's why I automatically don't respect you as a photographer if I hear that sort of gear-snobbery. Call it a pet peeve.

Anyways, yep, those cameras are pretty solid. I highly, highly doubt you'll be limited by them within this next year. Even the most basic DSLRs (Canon Rebel XS/Nikon D3000) are solid pieces of equipment and most people take several months at the very least to outgrow them. The D90/T2i shown here are a step up from these cameras, giving you more controls, AF points, metering options, high ISO capabilities, wireless flash sync, etc. So, you can imagine my skepticism that anyone would outgrow them

Besides, I still think that lenses are much more important than the body. A nice quick prime will give you good low-light shots or DoF shots, or a nice telephoto could give you that extra reach you may need, both of which are things a good body cannot substitute by itself.

Just my two cents


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykeZ View Post
that D90 is a god damn STEAL! GO FOR IT
I've been seconded!
post #6 of 13
Of course you have. I have a Nikon D60 and I absolutely LOVE IT!

http://digitalorgasm.blogspot.com/

Shots I took with it. I paid more than that for my the year before last
Hobbes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 4790K GA-Z97X-SOC Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB EK Predator 240mm Windows 7 x64 Das Keyboard 4 Professional CherryMX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X750 Gold Corsair Carbide Air 540 Logitech G900 Schiit Bifrost Uber W/ USB Gen 2 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp Audioengine N22 Speaker Amp AudioQuest Nighthawk Audioengine P4 Monitors. 
  hide details  
Reply
Hobbes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 4790K GA-Z97X-SOC Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB EK Predator 240mm Windows 7 x64 Das Keyboard 4 Professional CherryMX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X750 Gold Corsair Carbide Air 540 Logitech G900 Schiit Bifrost Uber W/ USB Gen 2 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp Audioengine N22 Speaker Amp AudioQuest Nighthawk Audioengine P4 Monitors. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d View Post
If they do that to you, it's not worth joining in the first place. Cameras/lenses are tools, and while helpful, it depends ultimately on the person using the tool. People who don't realize this and judge photographers based on how expensive their gear is or the brand on their gear are in my experience absolutely stupid and horrid photographers in the first place.

Think of it this way: If you're playing a game, which would help you get more kills: practicing and honing your skills or buying an i7 980x with tri-SLI 580s?

It's why I automatically don't respect you as a photographer if I hear that sort of gear-snobbery. Call it a pet peeve.

Anyways, yep, those cameras are pretty solid. I highly, highly doubt you'll be limited by them within this next year. Even the most basic DSLRs (Canon Rebel XS/Nikon D3000) are solid pieces of equipment and most people take several months at the very least to outgrow them. The D90/T2i shown here are a step up from these cameras, giving you more controls, AF points, metering options, high ISO capabilities, wireless flash sync, etc. So, you can imagine my skepticism that anyone would outgrow them

Besides, I still think that lenses are much more important than the body. A nice quick prime will give you good low-light shots or DoF shots, or a nice telephoto could give you that extra reach you may need, both of which are things a good body cannot substitute by itself.

Just my two cents




I've been seconded!

This. I'm no pro at all, but dabble as a hobby. That D90 seems like a great deal as well--assuming when you show up it isn't all mangled or poorly taken care of.

As far as the whole gear issue... we have the same thing in the military (I'm sure every hobby/job/etc) does. You see it a lot in competitive shooting outside of the official military role--people who spend thousands on gear and "go fast" or HSLD ****. Mostly unnecessary, especially in those roles. Usually called "gear queers"--but that is probably not very PC. Most of the best shooters just bought more ammo and practiced and got to know their tools more intimately and were significantly more effective with them. Plus you get to enjoy using it

I'll second r31ncarnat3d completely--great post.
post #8 of 13
I've had really good luck on CL but then again here in Seattle people tend to upgrade quickly with all the MS and Boeing people up here, I got one of my 40d's and lense's for dirt cheap on CL both in great shape.
post #9 of 13
i've bought a ton of stuff off craigslist. almost all my photography are used with craigslist sourcing about 50% of my gear. also sold some stuff there as well.

just follow safe meeting practices (there's a guide on craigslist) and you'll be fine.
Green Lantern
(18 items)
 
 
The Router 3.0
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 920 3.8GHz 1.25v HT Asus P6T XFX 5870 XFX 5780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston HyperX Intel X25-M 80GB G2 10Tb iSCSI Lite-On 1635S 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Asus PA246 Logitech G15 v1 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 1000HX Lian Li v1000+ Logitech G5 v1 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
Other
Intel Pro/1000 PT Server Adapter 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon L5335 Intel Xeon L5335 Intel 5000P ATI ES1000 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
Elpida ECC WD20NPVT SmartOS HP 350W + Hot Spare 
Case
HP Proliant 380 G5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ nForce 3 250 2 GB 512MB CF To IDE 
OSCaseOtherOther
pfSense 2.0.1 x64 Shuttle XPC Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server A... Verizon FiOS 75/35Mbit 
  hide details  
Reply
Green Lantern
(18 items)
 
 
The Router 3.0
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 920 3.8GHz 1.25v HT Asus P6T XFX 5870 XFX 5780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston HyperX Intel X25-M 80GB G2 10Tb iSCSI Lite-On 1635S 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Asus PA246 Logitech G15 v1 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 1000HX Lian Li v1000+ Logitech G5 v1 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
Other
Intel Pro/1000 PT Server Adapter 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon L5335 Intel Xeon L5335 Intel 5000P ATI ES1000 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
Elpida ECC WD20NPVT SmartOS HP 350W + Hot Spare 
Case
HP Proliant 380 G5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ nForce 3 250 2 GB 512MB CF To IDE 
OSCaseOtherOther
pfSense 2.0.1 x64 Shuttle XPC Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server A... Verizon FiOS 75/35Mbit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
How does the canon compare to this nikon if I can get it for 850 bones? And is there any glass in my local Craigslist someone would recommend for the nikon esp? I just noticed the canon came with another lens but I don't know how good it is. Thanks guys.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Local Craigslist: Are any of these listings worth a look?