Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Swap Meet

128K views 2K replies 138 participants last post by  John` 
#1 ·
The Swap Meet

SWAP MEET UPDATE - 28th August 2011
A note to all Swap Meet viewers: You may have noticed a change in the ownership of the first post. The original owner, TriBeCa, has stated that he is unable to manage the Swap Meet and is stepping down as manager. I am stepping up and there will also be some rule changes introduced in the next few days as part of a new initiative to make the Swap Meet easier and safer for everybody to use. Please take the time to read the post below at least once a day over the coming days, so you know what changes to rules and/or how to submit an item have taken place since the last time you were here.
smile.gif

-xd

Hello and welcome! The Swap Meet is a place for OCN members to come and give away items they no longer need, in exchange for items that other members are giving away or might give away in the future! To clarify further on what The Swap Meet is, it is not a replacement of the ability to trade on the OCN marketplace. Rather it can be better perceived as an extension of the OCN marketplace, but no actual cash is involved - just computer-related items.

There is a discussion thread for posts not relating specifically to offering or requesting items. This thread is in its infancy, and there is much to discuss, so please do it there!

Many thanks to kingofyo1 for the core of this idea, and many thanks to TriBeCa for having founded and maintained the first rendition of OCN's Swap meet. TriBeCa had not meant to steal his thread or idea, but many of us there felt that the way things were set up was far too restrictive, so he aimed to remedy that here. I am to remedy further issues to make the Swap Meet easier and safer for everyone to use.

The rules are posted below, but as this is still a new idea I am 100% open to suggestions to improve it (but please use the discussion thread)!

The Swap Meet's expansive item library can also be viewed below.
The Rules/How It Works - PLEASE READ THIS before participating in the Swap Meet for the first time.
If you would like to submit an item to the Swap Meet, please use this SUBMISSION FORM [LINK] to submit all items to the Swap Meet.

At any time, any OCN member may offer up an item at The Swap Meet by using the link to a submission form above. The managing staff of the Swap Meet will then value the item and post an update to the thread as to who has posted what, and at what value. The sender will then receive a Swap Meet Credit (or a portion of a credit, or multiple credits - see below). Swap Meet Credits may then be spent to claim items offered by another OCN member.

Although The Swap Meet can be thought of an extension of the OCN marketplace, the Swap Meet is not meant to replace the "trading" functionality on the OCN marketplace. You cannot post up an item on the condition of receiving a specific item in return.

Concerning claiming and sending items:
To claim an item, simply post in the thread that you're claiming it. Once an agreement has been reached (see below for more details), go ahead and PM the person offering the item to sort out shipping details. Once a tracking number or picture of the postal code receipt for the item exists, the shipper MUST post it in the thread and it will be added to the spreadsheet. Tracking numbers or postal receipt pictures MUST be posted for all items, to help prevent scamming.
  • The *receiver* of the item pays the shipping costs. This is up to the shipper and receiver to work out, but two recommended methods would be for the receiver to pre-pay for shipping and send the shipper a shipping label, or for the receiver to pay an agreed-upon amount to the shippers PayPal account.
    Having the receiver pay for shipping means users from anywhere in the world can participate, as long as they are willing to pay for the cost of shipping items to wherever they are!
  • A working tracking number OR a picture/scan of the post office receipt **MUST** be posted in the thread by the sender once the item is sent, or the exchange is void along with the credits the sender had received for sharing the item.
  • The default rule for claiming items is "first come, first serve", however in case of multiple claims and conflicts, the sender may choose who the item will go to - whether this choice is based on judgment (i.e. who needs it the most) or randomization.
  • As the sender, you are responsible for your own item and who you send it to. Please be reminded that no item will be listed as claimed by a certain person until the sender confirms and decides who the item goes to. A reminder to post your intention of who to send the item to in the thread when he or she has been chosen; by doing so, you are closing that item to offers. Receivers/potential receivers, please contact the sender via PM to notify him that you wish to claim the item.
  • If an item is shipped but the sender has not confirmed that claiming for the item is closed, the transaction is invalidated as a Swap Meet transaction. All claims MUST be confirmed by the sender before shipping with a public post in the thread.
Concerning item valuing:
Smaller amounts of credits or partial may be awarded for items that are obsolete or not useful. I will exercise my best judgment with this, and will ALWAYS defer to the majority opinion of users of the thread as to how many credits should be awarded, in case there is a disagreement. As examples, I've given a copy of the game Bioshock a full credit, but I've given only half a credit to a (very old) SoundlBlaster Live! card and to a 20GB HDD, and only 1/4 of a credit to a 32MB AGP card and to 6 sticks of SD RAM.

A reference list for item values can be viewed in a separate spreadsheet below, right below the item library.
Concerning participation:
While I would like for this to open to all members, if you have less than 35 rep, you will not receive credits until after your offered item(s) has shipped. Everyone else receives credits as soon as they offer an item, under the assumption they will ship when the time comes.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AjY9gALzYrbEdFJ4NFZWdG5pb01tZ1dqaTNhZmdRYmc&w=100&h=1000]OCN Swap Meet Item Library[/URL]

NEW: You may refer to this list for reference in terms of what item is worth what amount of credits:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Avoxk_HEpJEbdG1IZkIwbnh0Y211THV3NlpWYTlIT1E&w=100&h=500]OCN Swap Meet Item Value Reference List[/URL]

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok, so I will get this rolling with a number of offered items of my own.

1. A complete ~8 year old AMD rig. Details are:

1.8 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2500+ processor
768 MB DDR RAM (333 MHz, 1:1 ratio with processor clock)
ASUS A7N8X-X mainboard (nForce 2 chipset)
120 GB 7200 RPM Seagate hard drive
PNY GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP-8X video card
LG DVD RW (don't remember the speeds, but they're reasonable)
3 1/4" floppy drive
Soundblaster Live! (or onboard sound)

2. The game Bioshock, (not Bioshock 2). Full version. Available only as a steam gift, so I will need your steam name and we'll have to friend each other for me to ship it.

3. 2 soundblaster Live! PCI audio cards. Don't remember exactly which cards they are, but they're old....

4. A bunch of DDR 333MHz laptop RAM.

5. A bunch of DDR desktop RAM.

6. A bunch of SDR desktop RAM! If someone actually has a use for this, I'm guessing it's hard to find these days.

7. An 8.4GB HDD and a 20.4GB HDD.

8. 2 AGP video cards--one is 128MB and the other is 32MB.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaaT
View Post

I have a full bottle of Feser one Purple coolant that I can offer. This one

Ok, adding you to the spreadsheet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGrapist
View Post

if i offer up 3 ide drives...10gb,15gb,20gb what would that be worth credit wise?
plus random stuff i can think of-
pci wifi card (b)
generic psu 300 watt i think(20pin,no 4 pin mobo)

Well, going by what I've put up for my stuff as a guide: 15/20GB 0.5 each, 10GB 0.25. More details on the PCI wifi card would help, but I'm guessing 0.5. I can't think of a modern system that would run without the MB CPU connector, so I'd say 0.5 on that as well.

Really, if anyone thinks I'm off in either direction on the credit I'd love feedback. I really just set it up that way so that people can't trade their 8GB IDE drive (like me) for a $50 processor or w/e (if anyone offers up something worth that much).

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TriBeCa
View Post

Ok, adding you to the spreadsheet.

Well, going by what I've put up for my stuff as a guide: 15/20GB 0.5 each, 10GB 0.25. More details on the PCI wifi card would help, but I'm guessing 0.5. I can't think of a modern system that would run without the MB CPU connector, so I'd say 0.5 on that as well.
. . .

Bolded: If the issue is just the main connector has a 20pin, then everything would work ok as long as any pci/agp cards had separate power connectors. If it really is totally void of the p4, then I believe a molex -> 4 pin would work.

But still, I can't imagine it has much value around here.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK
View Post

What would a Logitech Clear Chat Pro USB headset get credit for?

Well it's definitely a full credit. I hadn't thought to get in to awarding more than 1 credit for a single item, but I suppose that would be reasonable. I would say it's probably worth more than the Feser One cooling fluid on offer but less than the full AMD system? I dunno, the intent of the credit system is not to nit-pick over the exact value of every item on offer, but just to make sure that stuff like you're headset can't get claimed in exchange for an 8GB IDE drive or w/e.

Quote:

Originally Posted by W4LNUT5
View Post

Bolded: If the issue is just the main connector has a 20pin, then everything would work ok as long as any pci/agp cards had separate power connectors. If it really is totally void of the p4, then I believe a molex -> 4 pin would work.

But still, I can't imagine it has much value around here.

Do AGP cards even need power connectors? All the ones I have up just draw power through the AGP slot... I thought the separate connector for video cards has only been around for the last 5 years or so tops.

At any rate, I'll say again I'm not really interested in nit-picking over the value of every item. I mostly just wanted to offer up the stuff I have to whoever wants it, without pretending like a 32MB AGP video vard is worth the same as an e4600 processor. So yeah I'm going to stick with 0.5 on the 300W PSU, as it would be useful for someone trying to resurrect a ~8 year old PC (as would my RAM and HDDs), but isn't really useful for anything newer than that.

But I'll say again, if anyone specifically thinks I'm going too high or too low on the number of credits something is worth I'll happily change anything that's been posted so far within reason.

#11 ·
This looks more promising then the other 10 threads trying to do the same.
I have a few network cards and ram sticks I can throw in the mix if this goes somewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beserk
View Post

2: windows XP 32-bit OEM <--- can i offer this? a part of the computer can be included if thats what is needed.

You basically have to include the mobo since it is tied to it.

#12 ·
Nice idea, out of curiosity what would OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G10664GK be worth, it's new in the package.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beserk
View Post

1: Nanya ddr2 SO-DIMM 512mb taken from a imac
2: windows XP 32-bit OEM <--- can i offer this? a part of the computer can be included if thats what is needed.

I listed the RAM at 0.75 credits (sound fair? seems like it's worth more than the stuff I listed at 0.5 but not quite as much as the stuff listed at 1). The OEM OS can't really be offered without the MB it's attached to, unless it's never been installed on any machine ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTHMfreak
View Post

Nice idea, out of curiosity what would OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G10664GK be worth, it's new in the package.

That would definitely be worth a credit.

And I would be open to considering giving 2 credits for stuff like that and the AMD Phenom that's on offer, if people think that would be more appropriate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofyo1
View Post

ok since my thread took a crap, I'll put my phenom 8650 and 2 shrouds in here

Cool, thanks! This was really your idea, I just thought it would work a little more smoothly in this format. I really appreciate you coming over here

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTHMfreak
View Post

this should be worth a few credits....

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrapist;12245991
this should be worth a few credits....
Ok, I'll take that as one 'vote' for allowing certain items to be worth 2 credits. I'll wait to hear from a couple more people before implementing it, though. At present that only item that's actually on the list that I would upgrade is AMD Phenom.

My hesitation with allowing 2-credit stuff is the idea here is to facilitate easy exchange of items. If someone coming in and offering up a perfectly reasonable item can't then get the item they want because it's too "expensive" it kind of defeats the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserk;12246063
oppsy i have 2 of those sticks -_-
Updated, and in that case I'll make it a full credit.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserk;12246513
can i claim the full AMD system? Idk how this works
Yes, got you down for it. Now see below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrapist;12246603
yeah how do we claim things?
I'll update the OP to make it clearer. Just state the item you want in this thread and PM the person making the offer (me in this case) to work out shipping. Once there's a tracking number the shipper will post back in that thread with that info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserk;12246676
1:Intel wireless WIFI link 4965AGN (mini pci)
Listed.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzbane;12248553
Seems like theres should be some sort of restriction on what things are worth in the line of like credit for approx worth.

For example, that RAM that someone mentioned earlier is worth MUCH more than one credit, based on other things that have received 1 credit.
Ok, that's two people that have suggested awarding more than one credit for something. I'm not opposed to the idea, I just have a few reservations. If a few more people come out in the support of the idea with nobody else saying I should just cap it at one, I'll go ahead and start awarding multiple credits for the best stuff.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus;12248853
Can I get the AMD Phenom 8650 2.3GHz Triple Core Processor and the AGP video care for my bro's new build for his 8th grade promotion :)

Cheers,
Yunus
You need to offer something in order to be able to request something off the list.

Also, 1 trader rating or 20 rep is required to be able to get something before the item you're offering ships out... just a clause in there to prevent people from swooping in and grabbing stuff with no intention of shipping the item they've put up for offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.