Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Engadget]Verizon iPhone Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Engadget]Verizon iPhone Review - Page 6

post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1121 View Post
You are a Verizon rep correct? I want to see proof At&t says that their 3G network covers 97 percent of the US, they never say that anywhere. Also to the people complaining about the 2GB data cap, check Engadgets article on verizon starting to throttle data, its not "unlimited". And even where I have EDGE it's fine for GPS and even web browsing, my VZW 3G is pretty pathetic in comparison, as the edge is comparable in tests I've ran. I'm also not bias to either as I have a motorola droid, as well as an iP4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
Sucky phone, or just unlucky area. In most areas where I have HSUPA speeds, my phone gets consistently just under 3mbps down, and over 1mbps up.



Like you've been told already, ATT advertises that they have COVERAGE to 96% of america, not that they offer their 3G speeds to everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axon14 View Post
Bolded for funny. I guess holding a company up to what they say they provide is teh herp derp. I gotta tell you, as consumers, we're becoming very, very accepting of this absolutely abhorrent behavior.

Anyway, you are taking this argument to the only place where you can possibly back your statements. Frankly, I think you're just stubbornly trying not to concede these points.

Nonetheless, it is not irrational to expect the service I pay for - an unlimited Data plan - to be provided for and actually function in a major metropolitan market. If Apple and AT&T collectively present a device with a streaming data network, as they have since 2006 or 2007 at this point, that device should work. It should not suffer extensive downtime of the 3G and EDGE networks, as frequently occurs in New York City, and in fact, is occurring right now, as my iphone won't pick up dick in terms of data and hasn't since 7 am this morning. When AT&T goes down, they go f**king down big. None of their **** works at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
Ok, are you dense? Their ads never say 3G to 96% of america, they simply say they provide service to that many people. For you to go out and assume something out of such a vague statement is ridiculously ignorant. I'm not even sure what points you wanted him to concede, he was simply correcting someone else.
It's already funny to know I'm right, but when other people come in and help my case with the same facts that they are generally aware of because they can read, just makes it even better.
 
OverCoaster
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700K [4.5GHz] ASUS Z270i STRIX Titan X Pascal + Hybrid Corsair Vengeance LPX 3K [16GB] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX Savage [480GB] Mushkin Enhanced Reactor [1TB] Corsair H75 + F120MP Windows 10 Professional [x64] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer Predator X34 Dell P2012Ht Razer Blackwidow X [Tournament Ed.] Corsair SF600 [600w] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NCASE M1 [v5] G403 Wireless QcK+ [Vault 111 Ed.] Schiit Bifrost Uber + Schiit Asgard 2 + TH-X00... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac ASUS GTX 1070 FE Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 [White Ed.] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 840 [250GB] Phanteks PH-TC14PE  Win 10 Pro [x64] Dell S2716DGR [144hz] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KC60 [Miami Ed.] EVGA 550 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX [White] Logitech G403 
Mouse PadAudio
SS QcK Heavy AudioQuest Dragonfly Black + Sennhesier HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
 
OverCoaster
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700K [4.5GHz] ASUS Z270i STRIX Titan X Pascal + Hybrid Corsair Vengeance LPX 3K [16GB] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX Savage [480GB] Mushkin Enhanced Reactor [1TB] Corsair H75 + F120MP Windows 10 Professional [x64] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer Predator X34 Dell P2012Ht Razer Blackwidow X [Tournament Ed.] Corsair SF600 [600w] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NCASE M1 [v5] G403 Wireless QcK+ [Vault 111 Ed.] Schiit Bifrost Uber + Schiit Asgard 2 + TH-X00... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac ASUS GTX 1070 FE Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 [White Ed.] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 840 [250GB] Phanteks PH-TC14PE  Win 10 Pro [x64] Dell S2716DGR [144hz] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KC60 [Miami Ed.] EVGA 550 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX [White] Logitech G403 
Mouse PadAudio
SS QcK Heavy AudioQuest Dragonfly Black + Sennhesier HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post
It's already funny to know I'm right, but when other people come in and help my case with the same facts that they are generally aware of because they can read, just makes it even better.

Why do you let this site work you up so much, alot of these people on this site are born in like 1996, they are just kids who know computers but nothing about life. You were like that at one time


weren't you pulling your hair out at one time because you thought there was a serious bottleneck between your 940/4870 when there really wasn't?

Just relax man
Um Stock....
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700 MSI B150 Mortar Artic Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256 Mushkin Triactor Pioneer BR-RW Windows 10 LTSB x64 Seiki 4K 60HZ 42 inch 
  hide details  
Reply
Um Stock....
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700 MSI B150 Mortar Artic Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256 Mushkin Triactor Pioneer BR-RW Windows 10 LTSB x64 Seiki 4K 60HZ 42 inch 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 59
AT&T has terrible coverage in my area so they are not an option.
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
Ok, are you dense? Their ads never say 3G to 96% of america, they simply say they provide service to that many people. For you to go out and assume something out of such a vague statement is ridiculously ignorant. I'm not even sure what points you wanted him to concede, he was simply correcting someone else.
No, he was arguing with me as well. I'm really not sure why you'd think otherwise, since I was directly quoted. But at a more fundamental level, the argument is very simple.

1. AT&T says their service works.

2. It doesn't.

3. That their service does not work is my fault.

To be fair, I will concede that you were correct in your assessment of their language; this is not to say I misinterpreted their ad, I simply misspoke in my postings here. My argument, however, have been entirely misinterpreted, despite being totally clear. This is a classic technique; when you can't win on a certain point, you move the debate elsewhere.

That said, I do not have an issue with weasel words or marketing. I do have an issue with paying for a service that does not work and a contract prohibiting me from leaving without further payment.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=14002

Ad in question. So, 96% of the US population gets the edge network. 75% gets 3G. Since I get 3G, I'm in that percentage bracket. Since I live in NYC, there is no "location is not AT&Ts fault" excuse as there was previously.

The problem is that their service, again, simply stops working for no discernible reason other than their infrastructure is weak. These comments have been echoed by other people here, and more famously by Jon Stewart.
And yet, somehow, it has been expressed that AT&Ts **** network is my fault. I'm sure the next card to be played will be "you're dumb enough to pay for it, so hurrrrrr." Indeed; unfortunately, I was foolish enough to sign their contract of adhesion. I was unaware, at the time, that the #2 carrier in the US would be incapable of providing the service I'm paying them for...in New York City.
Edited by Axon14 - 2/3/11 at 2:39pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k ASUS z170-e EVGA 1080 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill 32 GB  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 950 m2.a SSD  Windows 10 Acer Predator xb271hu Corsair 850ax 
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400w 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k ASUS z170-e EVGA 1080 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill 32 GB  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 950 m2.a SSD  Windows 10 Acer Predator xb271hu Corsair 850ax 
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axon14 View Post
And yet, somehow, it has been expressed that AT&Ts **** network is my fault. I'm sure the next card to be played will be "you're dumb enough to pay for it, so hurrrrrr." Indeed; unfortunately, I was foolish enough to sign their contract of adhesion. I was unaware, at the time, that the #2 carrier in the US would be incapable of providing the service I'm paying them for...in New York City.
Their network quality in your area isn't your fault, but your situation is completely your own doing. I've yet to go to a place where I don't have at least some form of signal with At&t. It's only gotten better with time. It's your fault you didn't test their network to make sure it was up to your standards within the first 30 days. After that, you're locked into the agreement that you signed. If you want to be mad at anyone, it should be yourself.

They essentially gave you a test drive, and you either were fine with it at the time, or you kept it because you needed an iPhone that badly. I'm not going to assume either one, I'm just saying, you picked the provider, you had the option to get out of the contract, but you stayed, and now you're complaining because you regret it.
mitx
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K 4.5ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X 1200/1500 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8 GB 8-8-8-24-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital WD15EARX Western Digital WD15EADS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Silverstone NT06-Pro Windows 10 x64 LG 29UM67 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SG08 600W PSU Silverstone SG08B Logitech G700 Pioneer SE-A1000 
  hide details  
Reply
mitx
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K 4.5ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X 1200/1500 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8 GB 8-8-8-24-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital WD15EARX Western Digital WD15EADS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Silverstone NT06-Pro Windows 10 x64 LG 29UM67 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SG08 600W PSU Silverstone SG08B Logitech G700 Pioneer SE-A1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
Their network quality in your area isn't your fault, but your situation is completely your own doing. I've yet to go to a place where I don't have at least some form of signal with At&t. It's only gotten better with time. It's your fault you didn't test their network to make sure it was up to your standards within the first 30 days. After that, you're locked into the agreement that you signed. If you want to be mad at anyone, it should be yourself.

They essentially gave you a test drive, and you either were fine with it at the time, or you kept it because you needed an iPhone that badly. I'm not going to assume either one, I'm just saying, you picked the provider, you had the option to get out of the contract, but you stayed, and now you're complaining because you regret it.
Well, at the time (2008), there was no viable other smartphone option save the BB, which there really is no comparison with. But since I picked it up in 2008, the network has only gotten worse. I'm not even sure there was that 30 day option back then, but let's assume so.

The thing about it is the data on the phone works at times and disappears entirely at other times. If I happen not to come across the issue in that 30 day window, why should I get burned? (Or anyone else using the iphone?) I realize you're preaching buyer beware; I'm preaching consumer rights. If a friggin' company sells you a phone and you pay for the service, it should work, bottom line. Or at least not fail nearly as often as the iphone does. If your internet kicked in and out, would you say to yourself "this is entirely my fault, the ISP has no role"? Of course the ISP has a role if its infrastructure is crap.

Anyway, this is a difference of opinion at this point, so good talks. Here's a pic of joanna krupa, no hard feelings, yah?

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k ASUS z170-e EVGA 1080 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill 32 GB  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 950 m2.a SSD  Windows 10 Acer Predator xb271hu Corsair 850ax 
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400w 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k ASUS z170-e EVGA 1080 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill 32 GB  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 950 m2.a SSD  Windows 10 Acer Predator xb271hu Corsair 850ax 
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 59
if it had a GSM option too I would be all over it. like, yeah, right, the guy with the THOUSAND DOLLAR PHONE is going to use a $10 rental when he goes outside the country. Come on!
Clock for Clock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS Rampage III Formula XFX Radeon HD 6950 unlock BIOS 6GB Super Talent, 1.6Ghz@ 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB Intel X25-M + 1TB Caviar Black is so 00's Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell U2410 + 2X HP ZR24w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
An old Sony VAIO PS/2 one Corsair AX750 Lian Li PC-7FNW A cheap Dell USB one 
  hide details  
Reply
Clock for Clock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS Rampage III Formula XFX Radeon HD 6950 unlock BIOS 6GB Super Talent, 1.6Ghz@ 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB Intel X25-M + 1TB Caviar Black is so 00's Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell U2410 + 2X HP ZR24w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
An old Sony VAIO PS/2 one Corsair AX750 Lian Li PC-7FNW A cheap Dell USB one 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee7283 View Post
Why do you let this site work you up so much, alot of these people on this site are born in like 1996, they are just kids who know computers but nothing about life. You were like that at one time


weren't you pulling your hair out at one time because you thought there was a serious bottleneck between your 940/4870 when there really wasn't?

Just relax man
I'm not worked up, it was just a debatable point. And there was a bottleneck then .
 
OverCoaster
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700K [4.5GHz] ASUS Z270i STRIX Titan X Pascal + Hybrid Corsair Vengeance LPX 3K [16GB] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX Savage [480GB] Mushkin Enhanced Reactor [1TB] Corsair H75 + F120MP Windows 10 Professional [x64] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer Predator X34 Dell P2012Ht Razer Blackwidow X [Tournament Ed.] Corsair SF600 [600w] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NCASE M1 [v5] G403 Wireless QcK+ [Vault 111 Ed.] Schiit Bifrost Uber + Schiit Asgard 2 + TH-X00... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac ASUS GTX 1070 FE Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 [White Ed.] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 840 [250GB] Phanteks PH-TC14PE  Win 10 Pro [x64] Dell S2716DGR [144hz] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KC60 [Miami Ed.] EVGA 550 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX [White] Logitech G403 
Mouse PadAudio
SS QcK Heavy AudioQuest Dragonfly Black + Sennhesier HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
 
OverCoaster
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700K [4.5GHz] ASUS Z270i STRIX Titan X Pascal + Hybrid Corsair Vengeance LPX 3K [16GB] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX Savage [480GB] Mushkin Enhanced Reactor [1TB] Corsair H75 + F120MP Windows 10 Professional [x64] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer Predator X34 Dell P2012Ht Razer Blackwidow X [Tournament Ed.] Corsair SF600 [600w] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NCASE M1 [v5] G403 Wireless QcK+ [Vault 111 Ed.] Schiit Bifrost Uber + Schiit Asgard 2 + TH-X00... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac ASUS GTX 1070 FE Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 [White Ed.] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 840 [250GB] Phanteks PH-TC14PE  Win 10 Pro [x64] Dell S2716DGR [144hz] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KC60 [Miami Ed.] EVGA 550 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX [White] Logitech G403 
Mouse PadAudio
SS QcK Heavy AudioQuest Dragonfly Black + Sennhesier HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze105 View Post
Once there is a iphone for verizon LTE network, ill definitely be getting that. For now, seems like ill be fine on my galaxy S fascinate till LTE is all over the place.
Couldn't have said it better. It should be no surprise that data speeds are drastically slower in many instances -- HSPA+ > EVDO. With that said, while I don't have any doubt that VZW's network will handle the iPhone load better than AT&T, a relatively unsaturated network now that can barely muster 1.5Mbps means a more saturated network is going to by abysmal.

Basically -- for people who live in extremely crowded, dense, big cities and use their phones more to call VZW iPhone > AT&T iPhone. Everywhere else where AT&T has decent coverage AT&T iPhone > Verizon.
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Engadget]Verizon iPhone Review