Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › What's the deal with AMD CPUs? Any help?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the deal with AMD CPUs? Any help? - Page 3

post #21 of 41
What are you using your computer for? That's what you need to tell us. Intel's best is better than AMD's best (at the moment at least), but if you do not require the most demanding performance, AMD really is the smarter buy in regards to the $150 and lower territory. The 955 or 965 even at stock levels will completely be overkill for the average user who streams videos, chats online, uses spreadsheets, plays games. The only time you want Intel's best is if you work for Pixar or Dreamworks and you do a ton of video and picture editing. Everyone else, including us gamers can get by no problem on any of AMD's Phenom II quad or hexacore processors.
post #22 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka;12242459 
Look into the i7 2500K then. I don't know prices in Aus, but in the US it is priced new the same as Thuban...and is an even better buy, once fixed mobos are out.

Bulldozer boards won't be seen until April likely, and I'd be surprised if BD CPUs are out in the wild before May, more likely June. Even then, there's no knowing if there will be teething pains. Intel's Sandy had the PCH SATA bug. AMD's Phenom I was downright awful. Bad releases happen. Heopfully AMD's Bulldozer gen 1 will release better than Phenom 1.
Is the i5 2500K better than that AMD CPU? I was initially going with that (don't need or want i7) but they disappeared because of the issues =P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy61;12243876 
What are you using your computer for? That's what you need to tell us. Intel's best is better than AMD's best (at the moment at least), but if you do not require the most demanding performance, AMD really is the smarter buy in regards to the $150 and lower territory. The 955 or 965 even at stock levels will completely be overkill for the average user who streams videos, chats online, uses spreadsheets, plays games. The only time you want Intel's best is if you work for Pixar or Dreamworks and you do a ton of video and picture editing. Everyone else, including us gamers can get by no problem on any of AMD's Phenom II quad or hexacore processors.
I'd mentioned that twice but not in the original post, so you've probably missed it -- it's a gaming only rig. If I stick to Intel, I'm getting the i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom;12243895 
Is the i5 2500K better than that AMD CPU? I was initially going with that (don't need or want i7) but they disappeared because of the issues =P

I'd mentioned that twice but not in the original post, so you've probably missed it -- it's a gaming only rig. If I stick to Intel, I'm getting the i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz.

its a solid upgrade from the denub cores, cant speak for Thuban though, i've heard they're a bit better. I upgraded from an PII 920 to the 2500k, love it. just praying i dont have the sata bug lol. for now my hdd/sdd are plugged into the sata 6gb ports xD
post #24 of 41
If you don't mind waiting for the fix, then for gaming the i7-2500k is the best you can get at the moment. End of story. Though by the time the fixed mobo's are released Bulldozer will be here or (near enough), since you have to wait anyway, it would it would be churlish not give them a look, it's a completely new architecture, improved imc, more ipc, higher clock speeds, lower nm (than thuban), more cores. AMD are reinstating the FX moniker for these cpu's...says it all.

I wouldn't even begin to consider a 980x, they only beat Sandy Bridge in multithreading, and not by much, clock for clock they're slower but at ridiculous prices. Anyone who bought one a year ago was a fool, anyone who buy's one now neads their head examined! LOL


Just one note to add to the info about Thuban, it was mostly correct (ignore the Intel fanboys). The Turbocore on stock settings is 400Mhz across three cores, the other three downclock. However, since you can adjust the Turbocore multiplier it will happily run at 4.2Ghz on three cores @ stock vcore (it will also eaislly run @ 4.2 on all cores with higher vcore).

The thuban runs cool enough to overclock to 4Ghz+ with minimal fan speeds - silent computing, not sure the same can be said for the old i7's.
Purpleannex
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Z68 Extreme4gen3 Gainward GTX 470 @ 740Mhz 8GB Mushkin Blackline LV (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz 9... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB Crucial M225 SSD 2 x 500gb 500GbB samsung 500GbB samsung Samsung SH-B083L 8x BD Combo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 64-bit LG W2486L LED 24" 1080p Antech True power new 750W FT-02 B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Purpleannex
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Z68 Extreme4gen3 Gainward GTX 470 @ 740Mhz 8GB Mushkin Blackline LV (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz 9... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB Crucial M225 SSD 2 x 500gb 500GbB samsung 500GbB samsung Samsung SH-B083L 8x BD Combo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 64-bit LG W2486L LED 24" 1080p Antech True power new 750W FT-02 B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka;12242459 
Look into the i7 2500K then. I don't know prices in Aus, but in the US it is priced new the same as Thuban...and is an even better buy, once fixed mobos are out.

Bulldozer boards won't be seen until April likely, and I'd be surprised if BD CPUs are out in the wild before May, more likely June. Even then, there's no knowing if there will be teething pains. Intel's Sandy had the PCH SATA bug. AMD's Phenom I was downright awful. Bad releases happen. Heopfully AMD's Bulldozer gen 1 will release better than Phenom 1.
ARE YOU SERIOUS! doh.gif You can't even buy a SB processor on Newegg- $700 million recall on every single SB motherboard produced to date ring a bell? Why would you recommend a flawed product?
You compare a Thuban to a Core2? My Athlon can run with a Core2 and by your own link-the i7-950 and X6 1090t are virtually even.You would never notice the difference between the two.
Edited by Redwoodz - 2/3/11 at 2:25am
Amelia
(13 items)
 
Professional
(13 items)
 
RCPC#1
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100t MSI 890FX GD65 MSI Radeon HD5670 GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 1TB SATA III Samsung BD Zalman 9900MAX Windows 7 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 22" LED Logitech Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w Fractal Design R3 
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 960T Asus M4A88T-VEVO Asus Strix R7 370 SuperTalent Perfomance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
GSkill Snipers Monster Daytona Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache Memorex DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 8N IBM 9494 19" LCD IBM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair GS500 In Win H-Frame Wolfking OCZ Behemoth 
Audio
JBL Creature 
  hide details  
Reply
Amelia
(13 items)
 
Professional
(13 items)
 
RCPC#1
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100t MSI 890FX GD65 MSI Radeon HD5670 GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 1TB SATA III Samsung BD Zalman 9900MAX Windows 7 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 22" LED Logitech Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w Fractal Design R3 
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 960T Asus M4A88T-VEVO Asus Strix R7 370 SuperTalent Perfomance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
GSkill Snipers Monster Daytona Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache Memorex DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 8N IBM 9494 19" LCD IBM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair GS500 In Win H-Frame Wolfking OCZ Behemoth 
Audio
JBL Creature 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asuindasun;12243922 
its a solid upgrade from the denub cores, cant speak for Thuban though, i've heard they're a bit better. I upgraded from an PII 920 to the 2500k, love it. just praying i dont have the sata bug lol. for now my hdd/sdd are plugged into the sata 6gb ports xD
Haha yeah, thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleannex;12243994 
If you don't mind waiting for the fix, then for gaming the i7-2500k is the best you can get at the moment. End of story. Though by the time the fixed mobo's are released Bulldozer will be here or (near enough), since you have to wait anyway, it would it would be churlish not give them a look, it's a completely new architecture, improved imc, more ipc, higher clock speeds, lower nm (than thuban), more cores. AMD are reinstating the FX moniker for these cpu's...says it all.

I wouldn't even begin to consider a 980x, they only beat Sandy Bridge in multithreading, and not by much, clock for clock they're slower but at ridiculous prices. Anyone who bought one a year ago was a fool, anyone who buy's one now neads their head examined! LOL


Just one note to add to the info about Thuban, it was mostly correct (ignore the Intel fanboys). The Turbocore on stock settings is 400Mhz across three cores, the other three downclock. However, since you can adjust the Turbocore multiplier it will happily run at 4.2Ghz on three cores @ stock vcore (it will also eaislly run @ 4.2 on all cores with higher vcore).

The thuban runs cool enough to overclock to 4Ghz+ with minimal fan speeds - silent computing, not sure the same can be said for the old i7's.
When you say "it would be churlish not to give them a look" you mean what? I would've bought an 980x (a year ago, and even up until now) but I didn't know they weren't that great =P... I know now though =D

I'm after an i5 2500K with a high overclock rather than an i7 ^_^

Thanks for the info.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoodz;12244044 
ARE YOU SERIOUS! doh.gif You can't even buy a SB processor on Newegg- $700 million recall on every single SB motherboard produced to date ring a bell? Why would you recommend a flawed product?
You compare a Thuban to a Core2? My Athlon can run with a Core2 and by your own link-the i7-950 and X6 1090t are virtually even.You would never notice the difference between the two.

Okay. I'm curious.

What do you know about Sandy Bridge flaws?
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Hi,

I'm looking into building a new computer and noticed how cheap AMD CPUs are vs Intel CPUs, particularly the six-core models. I know close to nothing about AMD CPUs, and was hoping someone could help me out.

Regarding the 3.2GHz AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Thuban and the Intel Core i7-980X 3.33GHz (both 6-core):

What's the difference?

Does the AMD offer hyper-threading, if so, does it perform as well?
Does the AMD have some kind of turbo boost, if so, how high does it go?
Will it run cooler, hotter, or about the same as the Intel?
Does it offer about the same performance with similar clock speeds?
Does this CPU only support 1066MHz/1333MHz dual channel RAM?

And I'm curious if the only difference between that AMD 6-core CPU and this AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4-core) CPU, is just two cores less, or are there architectural differences?

Thanks, appreciate any help!

(PS: When's bulldozer coming out, will it have a quad-core or six-core model?)

BTW, I feel threatened by your avatar. I dont think I like it very much. thinking.gif

But it does seem your mind is heading in the right direction.
post #29 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckclc;12244077 
BTW, I feel threatened by your avatar. I dont think I like it very much. thinking.gif

But it does seem your mind is heading in the right direction.
Ahahahaha lol, =P
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoodz;12244044 
ARE YOU SERIOUS! doh.gif You can't even buy a SB processor on Newegg- $700 million recall on every single SB motherboard produced to date ring a bell? Why would you recommend a flawed product?
You compare a Thuban to a Core2? My Athlon can run with a Core2 and by your own link-the i7-950 and X6 1090t are virtually even.You would never notice the difference between the two.

A) Who cares that Sandy cannot be bought on NewEgg? The OP is from Australia.

B) Within a week and a half fixed chipsets from Intel should be shipping. And it is only the chipset, not the CPU that is "flawed". If one is wanting more speed, what is a week and a half or so to wait.

C) In the majority of the benches on that Anandtech page, Nehalem wins by +10% if not more. Sandy is even quicker and doesn't cost any more. I call that win-win as soon as the fixed chipsets ship. I noticed the diff between my current i7 and the 1055T I used quite quickly. Of course, I was doing more than just gaming.
DD Boxen
(23 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230 Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 Powercolor 6970 2GB G. Skill 1600mHz Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
SpinpontF3 1TB, WD 250, and WD320 Lite-On DT Waterblocks DT5Noz Waterblock Swiftech Komodo 6900-1 Waterblock 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech MCR-220 Drive radiator Swiftech MCR-220 QP radiator 6xGentle Typhoon AP-15s Archx64 KDE4.5, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eyefinity 3-head 5265x1050 OCN Ducky!! MX Blue Switches XFX 750W Black Edition Mountain Mods H2gO 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Razer Naga Asus Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser 595 Sony STR-DE995 A/V receiver 
OtherOther
Lian Li Card flash memory reader Asus PCE-N15 Wifi-N card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1055T Gigabyte 790 Sapphire 4850x2 2x2GB 1600mHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
A few Yes Vista/7 Das Keyboard 
Power
Ugly 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8060 1.2 GHz Something kinda small Qualcomm Adreno core 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
None N/A WebOS 3.0.2 9.7" XGA, multitouch 
PowerCase
6300mAh Piano Black 
  hide details  
Reply
DD Boxen
(23 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230 Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 Powercolor 6970 2GB G. Skill 1600mHz Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
SpinpontF3 1TB, WD 250, and WD320 Lite-On DT Waterblocks DT5Noz Waterblock Swiftech Komodo 6900-1 Waterblock 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech MCR-220 Drive radiator Swiftech MCR-220 QP radiator 6xGentle Typhoon AP-15s Archx64 KDE4.5, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eyefinity 3-head 5265x1050 OCN Ducky!! MX Blue Switches XFX 750W Black Edition Mountain Mods H2gO 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Razer Naga Asus Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser 595 Sony STR-DE995 A/V receiver 
OtherOther
Lian Li Card flash memory reader Asus PCE-N15 Wifi-N card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1055T Gigabyte 790 Sapphire 4850x2 2x2GB 1600mHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
A few Yes Vista/7 Das Keyboard 
Power
Ugly 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8060 1.2 GHz Something kinda small Qualcomm Adreno core 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
None N/A WebOS 3.0.2 9.7" XGA, multitouch 
PowerCase
6300mAh Piano Black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › What's the deal with AMD CPUs? Any help?