Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Question about Guild Wars and expansions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about Guild Wars and expansions

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hey, need some questions about Guild Wars answered, hope someone can help me. So, with Guild Wars 2 coming out this year, hopefully, I was thinking about playing some Guild Wars untill then, because I heard that some of the characters and places and stuff from the first game is gonna carry over to the second one. Now, I already have the first one, retail disk, and I wanted to hear, how does the expansions work ? Is it like in WoW for example, that they just add a lot of new content, but its the same game, or are the expansions differnent games altogether ? Do you think I should just play the first game, and then buy the expansions after that if Im still playing ? And is it even worth playing anymore ? Are there enough people still playing thats its still fun ?
Thank you in advance.
Ye Olde PC
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Kingston HyperX Blu 8 GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 500 GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB NZXT Kraken X60 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311h Steelseries G6v2 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W CM HAF-X 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Ye Olde PC
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Kingston HyperX Blu 8 GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 500 GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB NZXT Kraken X60 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311h Steelseries G6v2 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W CM HAF-X 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastyn99 View Post
Hey, need some questions about Guild Wars answered, hope someone can help me. So, with Guild Wars 2 coming out this year, hopefully, I was thinking about playing some Guild Wars untill then, because I heard that some of the characters and places and stuff from the first game is gonna carry over to the second one. Now, I already have the first one, retail disk, and I wanted to hear, how does the expansions work ? Is it like in WoW for example, that they just add a lot of new content, but its the same game, or are the expansions differnent games altogether ? Do you think I should just play the first game, and then buy the expansions after that if Im still playing ? And is it even worth playing anymore ? Are there enough people still playing thats its still fun ?
Thank you in advance.
If i remember the expansions just adds new classes, items and areas. Can even still play with people that only have the original GW but you are restricted to what they are doing. I havent played for a LONG time but thats what i remember.
post #3 of 7
each expansions is expandalone. But you dont get the content from the expansions you dont own, such as gear, quests and skills.

It has a pretty good and fun storyline with it to.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
@Vhati: Im not exactly sure what expandalone means. It "expands" the original game, adding additional content in form of classes, items, quests, areas, skills etc. but you dont have to buy all the expansions ? F.x. I could buy, Eye of the North only without having to also buy Factions and Nightfall ? But I still would be playing the original Guild Wars Prophecies, but with extra content from the expansions I did buy. Have I got it right ?
Ye Olde PC
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Kingston HyperX Blu 8 GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 500 GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB NZXT Kraken X60 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311h Steelseries G6v2 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W CM HAF-X 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Ye Olde PC
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Kingston HyperX Blu 8 GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 500 GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB NZXT Kraken X60 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311h Steelseries G6v2 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W CM HAF-X 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastyn99 View Post
@Vhati: Im not exactly sure what expandalone means. It "expands" the original game, adding additional content in form of classes, items, quests, areas, skills etc. but you dont have to buy all the expansions ? F.x. I could buy, Eye of the North only without having to also buy Factions and Nightfall ? But I still would be playing the original Guild Wars Prophecies, but with extra content from the expansions I did buy. Have I got it right ?
Yes
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Okey thanks both of you

btw, I have the first game as a physical disk. Can I install that on my computer, add it to my steam library and then buy the expansions for it on steam and make it work that way ?
Ye Olde PC
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Kingston HyperX Blu 8 GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 500 GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB NZXT Kraken X60 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311h Steelseries G6v2 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W CM HAF-X 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Ye Olde PC
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Kingston HyperX Blu 8 GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 500 GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB NZXT Kraken X60 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311h Steelseries G6v2 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W CM HAF-X 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastyn99 View Post
Okey thanks both of you

btw, I have the first game as a physical disk. Can I install that on my computer, add it to my steam library and then buy the expansions for it on steam and make it work that way ?
I wouldn't see why not, i never added mine to steam but just click the add game thing in steam and it should go right through.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Question about Guild Wars and expansions