Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Xai or MX518
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xai or MX518

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Currently I have the Logitech G5 and I'm having slight tracking issues. When I move the mouse REAL fast, it just starts stuttering with the actual mouse movement on the screen. So I'm considering buying a new mouse.

The Steelseries Xai seems like a real viable option due to the mousepad being made for the Xai (or other way around), but it is just like the G5, a laser mouse. So I'm somewhat worried that I will have the same issues with real fast movements as I have with the g5.

The Logitech MX 518 is my other option due to it being a legend, and optical mice still rock. But I have no idea if optical mice possibly will have the same issue as my G5.

Any feedback or help is highly appreciated.

-Edit-
Forgot to mention mousepad. I have a Steelseries 9HD mousepad. Used to have a Razer Golathus and didnt have any problems on that with my G5
Edited by poNji - 2/4/11 at 7:01am
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz Asus P8P67 Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI Corsair XSM3 8gb DDR3-1333 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 Cooler Master GX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz Asus P8P67 Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI Corsair XSM3 8gb DDR3-1333 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 Cooler Master GX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 12
TBH you couldn't go wrong with either of them 2 options! I Currently use the Xai and I've never had tracking issues as of the 4 months i've had it
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK-20;12257824 
TBH you couldn't go wrong with either of them 2 options! I Currently use the Xai and I've never had tracking issues as of the 4 months i've had it
Not even when you move your mouse like SUUUPERFAST to spin around like a crazy maniac? And you have the 9HD mousepad? Cuz I had the Razer Golathus mousepad before and I didnt have the issue there. So it has something to do with the 9HD being a hardmat.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz Asus P8P67 Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI Corsair XSM3 8gb DDR3-1333 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 Cooler Master GX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz Asus P8P67 Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI Corsair XSM3 8gb DDR3-1333 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 Cooler Master GX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by poNji;12257806 
Currently I have the Logitech G5 and I'm having slight tracking issues. When I move the mouse REAL fast, it just starts stuttering with the actual mouse movement on the screen. So I'm considering buying a new mouse.

The Steelseries Xai seems like a real viable option due to the mousepad being made for the Xai (or other way around), but it is just like the G5, a laser mouse. So I'm somewhat worried that I will have the same issues with real fast movements as I have with the g5.

The Logitech MX 518 is my other option due to it being a legend, and optical mice still rock. But I have no idea if optical mice possibly will have the same issue as my G5.

Any feedback or help is highly appreciated.

What mouse pad do you have? I have the Xai, G5 (TERRIBLE mouse) and the MX518 so I can tell you for sure that you won't have a problem with the Xai and tracking issues at high speeds on a hard pad. You MIGHT be ok on a cloth pad too depending on how fast you are moving your mouse. The main downfall with the Xai is that it has a small amount of positive acceleration that you can't remove.

The MX518 should also be fine as well, it tracks at a much higher speed than the G5. It's much cheaper than the Xai but it has prediction and a slower maximum tracking speed than the Xai on a hard surface, but it should still be plenty for almost everyone.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp;12257863 
tl;dr

Edited my main post, I have a Steelseries 9HD mousepad. Used to have the Razer goliathus and didn't have any problems on that with my G5.

Would you recommend me the Xai or the MX 518?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz Asus P8P67 Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI Corsair XSM3 8gb DDR3-1333 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 Cooler Master GX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz Asus P8P67 Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI Corsair XSM3 8gb DDR3-1333 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 Cooler Master GX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
I really can recommended to you the Xai - Great Mouse shape, great sensor that works great only on hard surfaces.
Also I've the 9HD - Just wow ,nothing to say more - best pad I've ever had.

it and the Mx518 have "perfect cotrol" high, so you'll not get any problem with tracking/accels and such.
But I dont really can recommeded to you the MX518 beacause of snapping angle/prediction which is destory accuraty, and the shape made me sweat alot, but not include these problems - the sensor is great and really reliable.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by poNji;12257886 
Edited my main post, I have a Steelseries 9HD mousepad. Used to have the Razer goliathus and didn't have any problems on that with my G5.

Would you recommend me the Xai or the MX 518?

Well the xai will work perfectly with that pad, I use mine with the smaller 4HD. Your only problem will be the small amount of positive acceleration.

Picking between the two, I use the xai but because of reasons that are personal. I prefer a mouse without prediction, I like the Xai's shape better and it has a lower lift off distance. I hate the positive accel though.

You need to decide what is important to you. Do you prefer a claw/fingertip grip (Xai)or do you prefer a palm grip (MX518)? Do you want a good warranty (Logitech) or a laughable warranty (Steelseries).
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp;12257918 
Well the xai will work perfectly with that pad, I use mine with the smaller 4HD. Your only problem will be the small amount of positive acceleration.

Picking between the two, I use the xai but because of reasons that are personal. I prefer a mouse without prediction, I like the Xai's shape better and it has a lower lift off distance. I hate the positive accel though.

You need to decide what is important to you. Do you prefer a claw/fingertip grip (Xai)or do you prefer a palm grip (MX518)? Do you want a good warranty (Logitech) or a laughable warranty (Steelseries).

Grip isn't all that important for me tbh. I use a cheapass microsoft mouse at work, which is Claw/Fingertip grip and I'm fine with either. I got quite small hands so almost all mice are palm mice for me tongue.gif

I honestly have no idea what you mean with "positive acceleration" though?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz Asus P8P67 Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI Corsair XSM3 8gb DDR3-1333 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 Cooler Master GX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz Asus P8P67 Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI Corsair XSM3 8gb DDR3-1333 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 Cooler Master GX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by poNji;12257934 
Grip isn't all that important for me tbh. I use a cheapass microsoft mouse at work, which is Claw/Fingertip grip and I'm fine with either. I got quite small hands so almost all mice are palm mice for me tongue.gif

I honestly have no idea what you mean with "positive acceleration" though?

http://www.overclock.net/mice/885666-razer-deathadder-signature-black-edition-means-7.html#post12194106

Here's a basic explanation with a screen shot. It's a small amount that most people won't notice.
Edited by Derp - 2/4/11 at 7:20am
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Think I'm going for the Steelseries Xai. Going to be ordering it right away so I get it tomorrow!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz Asus P8P67 Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI Corsair XSM3 8gb DDR3-1333 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 Cooler Master GX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz Asus P8P67 Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI Corsair XSM3 8gb DDR3-1333 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 Cooler Master GX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Xai or MX518