Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Thinking about getting an iMac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking about getting an iMac - Page 5

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_clayman View Post
actually no just dumb people. or people who dont want to learn how to use a computer.

my mom got her imac for 600 bucks because she knows a guy who works at apple. only under those circumstances is it ok to get a mac.
To some, OS X and not having to fix some random driver issue or other *insert random Windows problem here* is reason enough to spend the extra money. I happen to like OS X a lot actually, though I'm far from dumb when it comes to computers. Been working on them and dealing with them day in and day out for years.


And for those of you out there who are the family repair guy -- I recommend macs to some of my more elder family members simply because I don't want to be over at their house 4 times every week fixing their computer, whether by fault of themselves or Windows. My aunt got an iMac last year under my recommendation. So far, I've had to go over there 0 times to fix anything. Not saying that's the case with every Mac (because it isn't). But you can't deny that OS X is simply less failure prone.
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #42 of 65
The thing with iMacs is that they are Very Expensive. In Reality you can build a PC That is Far superior than a Mac That would Normally cost $1799 and the PC would cost $1199. Also The MAC OS (Snow leapord) Can be purchased and installed on a PC for $34.99 (OS Price on eBay)
post #43 of 65
I've had my Macbook Pro for two years I think and I've got no problems.
Jake-PC1
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4460 gigabyte evga gtx 770 SC 2x8gb ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
500GB Samsung 850 32GB Vertex 160GB 2.5 OS X 
OS
Windows 10 
  hide details  
Reply
Jake-PC1
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4460 gigabyte evga gtx 770 SC 2x8gb ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
500GB Samsung 850 32GB Vertex 160GB 2.5 OS X 
OS
Windows 10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cyb0rg View Post
Power saving. Though I have seen several articles (have to find them and I'll post back once I do) where people took a mac laptop, benchmarked battery life in OS X and then in Windows and found that every single time, Windows mowed through battery -- particularly the newer dual-gpu (integrated + discrete) macbooks.

I believe the conclusion was that OS X has it built into the OS to completely disable discrete GPU when not needed whereas Windows left the discrete GPU on and it wasn't able to be turned off.
That makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Maybe if someone was motivated enough they would figure out a way to do it. The Macs at my school have bootcamped WinXP, and there is no way to right-click on the touchpad because of how they locked them down. I end up having to do Fn+Shift+F10 or something like that. Thanks again for replying. OP, just ignore the trolls and obvious fanboys. Each kind of system has its advantages and disadvantages. It is all up to personal preference. I would use Linux if I had the time to set it up and maintain it.

EDIT: To people discussing the installation of OSX on PCs, be careful what you say, as it violates Apple's terms. I am not sure what the mods' position is on the issue.
Edited by Leech - 2/9/11 at 5:03pm
Leechbox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x3 720 BE @ x4 Asus M4A785-M ASUS EAH6870 Radeon 6870 1GB 4 x 1GB Crucial DDR2 800 @1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB 2x LITEON DVD-RW, 1x LITEON BD-R Windows 7 Home Premium 64 ASUS VH242HL-P, ACER H243H [24"/1080p] 
PowerCase
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Coolermaster HAF-X 
  hide details  
Reply
Leechbox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x3 720 BE @ x4 Asus M4A785-M ASUS EAH6870 Radeon 6870 1GB 4 x 1GB Crucial DDR2 800 @1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB 2x LITEON DVD-RW, 1x LITEON BD-R Windows 7 Home Premium 64 ASUS VH242HL-P, ACER H243H [24"/1080p] 
PowerCase
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Coolermaster HAF-X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie97 View Post
The thing with iMacs is that they are Very Expensive. In Reality you can build a PC That is Far superior than a Mac That would Normally cost $1799 and the PC would cost $1199. Also The MAC OS (Snow leapord) Can be purchased and installed on a PC for $34.99 (OS Price on eBay)
A very valid point. But my 70-year old Grandma could care less about how many GHz her processor has, the timing of the RAM, or how hot the GPU runs. To her, she wants something that is simple to use and works...and that's not Windows.
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cyb0rg View Post
A very valid point. But my 70-year old Grandma could care less about how many GHz her processor has, the timing of the RAM, or how hot the GPU runs. To her, she wants something that is simple to use and works...and that's not Windows.
Yeah but I'm going to guess (Because of her age) that she has no current income. An iMac would cost you about $1579. That is pretty expensive for somebody who has Little to no Income.
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leech View Post
That makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Maybe if someone was motivated enough they would figure out a way to do it. The Macs at my school have bootcamped WinXP, and there is no way to right-click on the touchpad because of how they locked them down. I end up having to do Fn+Shift+F10 or something like that. Thanks again for replying. OP, just ignore the trolls and obvious fanboys. Each kind of system has its advantages and disadvantages. It is all up to personal preference. I would use Linux if I had the time to set it up and maintain it.

You can't set up tackpad options in the settings panel?! That sucks. I wish more people were like you -- even keeled and open minded. All platforms have pros and cons/strengths and weaknesses.

And if I didn't live at work and had more time, I'd be a Linux junkie too In fact, I have a 4-year old linux box. But time as I said, gets in the way. :/ =
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie97 View Post
Yeah but I'm going to guess (Because of her age) that she has no current income. An iMac would cost you about $1579. That is pretty expensive for somebody who has Little to no Income.
No. But I've noticed that old people tend to care less about the price tag...
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cyb0rg View Post
You can't set up tackpad options in the settings panel?! That sucks. I wish more people were like you -- even keeled and open minded. All platforms have pros and cons/strengths and weaknesses.

And if I didn't live at work and had more time, I'd be a Linux junkie too In fact, I have a 4-year old linux box. But time as I said, gets in the way. :/ =
Control panel is locked out, along with the entire C:\\ drive. They blocked images.google.com. I got the UK version of it working.
My school blocked us from using Notepad, too.
Wordpad is able to be used, though. I also got around their block on unauthorized .exe's by renaming them to Photoshop.
Leechbox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x3 720 BE @ x4 Asus M4A785-M ASUS EAH6870 Radeon 6870 1GB 4 x 1GB Crucial DDR2 800 @1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB 2x LITEON DVD-RW, 1x LITEON BD-R Windows 7 Home Premium 64 ASUS VH242HL-P, ACER H243H [24"/1080p] 
PowerCase
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Coolermaster HAF-X 
  hide details  
Reply
Leechbox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x3 720 BE @ x4 Asus M4A785-M ASUS EAH6870 Radeon 6870 1GB 4 x 1GB Crucial DDR2 800 @1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB 2x LITEON DVD-RW, 1x LITEON BD-R Windows 7 Home Premium 64 ASUS VH242HL-P, ACER H243H [24"/1080p] 
PowerCase
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Coolermaster HAF-X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leech View Post
Control panel is locked out, along with the entire C:\\ drive. They blocked images.google.com. I got the UK version of it working.
My school blocked us from using Notepad, too.
Wordpad is able to be used, though. I also got around their block on unauthorized .exe's by renaming them to Photoshop.
Yuck.
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Thinking about getting an iMac