Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › | Mine-Cafe.com |Minecraft Survival Server Discussion (formerly MyCraftSMP)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

| Mine-Cafe.com |Minecraft Survival Server Discussion (formerly MyCraftSMP) - Page 152

post #1511 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeyren View Post
You mentioned something about changing the way the /login thing works? I've seen about four people log on, continously get kicked and say screw it and leave in 2 daysish. >< It's just not clear to people how to register. I told this one guy use /register and as far as I know he ended up using the website, but also the register button should be more flashy? IMO if you're keeping the registering thing. Maybe like this?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...547136061.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...547136140.png/


Also, Quixscopez96 (new*) wants to know if stealing things out of another persons chest if they don't protect it with LWC is against the rules, I told him I wasn't 100% sure. and he wanted to know if PVP is against the rules too, which I told him According to the website it is

AND THere's a typo in one of the random messages concerning one of the slash commands.

http://screensnapr.com/v/F90S1S.png
Well spotted

For the Login/Register buttons I think something a bit more bold would work better

Also, is the competition starting now (I assume it's midnight in US now?) or have you decided to extend the deadline?
White Lightning
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-V NVIDIA MSI GeForce 2GB GTX 560 Ti (SLI) NVIDIA MSI GeForce 2GB GTX 560 Ti (SLI) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengence RAM Crucial M4 SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 2.5" Seagate Momentus 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Barracuda OEM Sony AD-7260S-0B DVD Burner Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling 1x Intake 200mm White LED Fan & 1x Exhaust 120m... 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium Windows 8 Dev LG M2762D TV/Monitor Cyborg V7 Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX750 Corsair 600T White Limited Edition Cyborg R.A.T 7 Steelseries I-2 Black Glass 
Audio
Corsair HS1 Headphones (7.1 Mode) 
  hide details  
Reply
White Lightning
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-V NVIDIA MSI GeForce 2GB GTX 560 Ti (SLI) NVIDIA MSI GeForce 2GB GTX 560 Ti (SLI) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengence RAM Crucial M4 SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 2.5" Seagate Momentus 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Barracuda OEM Sony AD-7260S-0B DVD Burner Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling 1x Intake 200mm White LED Fan & 1x Exhaust 120m... 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium Windows 8 Dev LG M2762D TV/Monitor Cyborg V7 Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX750 Corsair 600T White Limited Edition Cyborg R.A.T 7 Steelseries I-2 Black Glass 
Audio
Corsair HS1 Headphones (7.1 Mode) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1512 of 2000
I think bold would be good too, I was just trying to find something quick to express what I mean by Flashy. xD Right now the register and login links are.. well.. Hard to notice if you arent LOOKING for it, also it should probably be bold and large letters on the front page of this lol
post #1513 of 2000
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeyren View Post
You mentioned something about changing the way the /login thing works? I've seen about four people log on, continously get kicked and say screw it and leave in 2 daysish. >< It's just not clear to people how to register. I told this one guy use /register and as far as I know he ended up using the website, but also the register button should be more flashy? IMO if you're keeping the registering thing. Maybe like this?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...547136061.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...547136140.png/


Also, Quixscopez96 (new*) wants to know if stealing things out of another persons chest if they don't protect it with LWC is against the rules, I told him I wasn't 100% sure. and he wanted to know if PVP is against the rules too, which I told him According to the website it is

AND THere's a typo in one of the random messages concerning one of the slash commands.

http://screensnapr.com/v/F90S1S.png
Thanks for the heads up faey, I'll go ahead and try to make a better button to let people know how to register.


As far as stealing goes there is a grey area when it involves unlocked stuff. I think by default everything comes locked but I may be in correct. I say, if you take something from a chest that doesn't expressly say "take from me" or whatever, it is considered stealing


@GAZ, the contest will start the second I post the updated plot designations which I will be posting real soon
post #1514 of 2000
Here's a thought for the site. When I go to it, Its just like sooo much information and links and dropdowns. It wouldn't really take that long to find everything, but if you can steer a new user to exactly where they need to be instantly, it will make a nicer experience.

So like that little diamond block you have on the bottom right floating, if you could add something like that to the right side, just under the gray header, like a squarish banner that says "New to Mine-Cafe? Click here to start!" Just make it really stand out, bright colors or whatever, so that's the first thing you will notice on the site.

Either a floating box like that, or even if you wanted to stick it up in line with the logo, in that gray area, just on the right side. Something like yellow/red that really contrasts and is eye catching.

So when someone comes to the site, they see this big advertisement, that will take them to a page describing how to register, and why you need to (for the /login thing), then you can list all the rules, and list a bunch of links to the other helpful startout pages within that post.

Kind of the same thing Faeyren suggested

Also if I wanted to check out the build server, I just use the port number after the name? like mine-cafe:24456 is that how I get on it? (that might be worth posting for real MC noobs haha)
post #1515 of 2000
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post
Here's a thought for the site. When I go to it, Its just like sooo much information and links and dropdowns. It wouldn't really take that long to find everything, but if you can steer a new user to exactly where they need to be instantly, it will make a nicer experience.

So like that little diamond block you have on the bottom right floating, if you could add something like that to the right side, just under the gray header, like a squarish banner that says "New to Mine-Cafe? Click here to start!" Just make it really stand out, bright colors or whatever, so that's the first thing you will notice on the site.

Either a floating box like that, or even if you wanted to stick it up in line with the logo, in that gray area, just on the right side. Something like yellow/red that really contrasts and is eye catching.

So when someone comes to the site, they see this big advertisement, that will take them to a page describing how to register, and why you need to (for the /login thing), then you can list all the rules, and list a bunch of links to the other helpful startout pages within that post.

Kind of the same thing Faeyren suggested

Also if I wanted to check out the build server, I just use the port number after the name? like mine-cafe:24456 is that how I get on it? (that might be worth posting for real MC noobs haha)
thanks for the tips silent bravo, I was definitely planning on doing something to make the ease of access to critical information much easier. Once we get a decent intro video I was thinking of doing something like you mentioned, with an intro site or something like that


In the meantime I'll work on some new type of register button or making a banner that is like "New To Mine-Cafe?", something along those lines.

Hopefully I can get that done by this afternoon.

All you need to do to login to the creative server is to put :25569 at the end of the other server's IP so: Mine-cafe.com:25569

soon I'll make a subdomain c.mine-cafe.com and s.mine-cafe.com respectively, that could be a good idea
post #1516 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha d0ctor View Post
thanks for the tips silent bravo, I was definitely planning on doing something to make the ease of access to critical information much easier. Once we get a decent intro video I was thinking of doing something like you mentioned, with an intro site or something like that


In the meantime I'll work on some new type of register button or making a banner that is like "New To Mine-Cafe?", something along those lines.

Hopefully I can get that done by this afternoon.

All you need to do to login to the creative server is to put :25569 at the end of the other server's IP so: Mine-cafe.com:25569

soon I'll make a subdomain c.mine-cafe.com and s.mine-cafe.com respectively, that could be a good idea
Or even if you can change the little server plugins (not sure if you can) to read the address as they need to. The plugins on the right hand side I'm talking about, right now they both just say mine-cafe.com for survival or creative, if you can add the port in there, should be fine.

Lol me and about 3-4 others were in the mob arena, crazy stuff.. i was alone in there around the 20th wave and a group of about 10 lightning creepers spawned on me as i was running from about 30 other mobs... instant death lool
post #1517 of 2000
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post
Or even if you can change the little server plugins (not sure if you can) to read the address as they need to. The plugins on the right hand side I'm talking about, right now they both just say mine-cafe.com for survival or creative, if you can add the port in there, should be fine.

Lol me and about 3-4 others were in the mob arena, crazy stuff.. i was alone in there around the 20th wave and a group of about 10 lightning creepers spawned on me as i was running from about 30 other mobs... instant death lool
the port numbers are there bravo, take a second look: Server status: online

Quote:
Server name: mine-cafe.com
Ping: 1 ms
Server port: 25569
Maximum players: 50
Players online: 0
Survival Server

Server status: online
Server name: mine-cafe.com
Ping: 1 ms
Server port: 25565
Maximum players: 50
Players online: 0
haha wow level 20, way to go! you must have earned a hell of a lot of money in the mob arena!
post #1518 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha d0ctor View Post
the port numbers are there bravo, take a second look: Server status: online



haha wow level 20, way to go! you must have earned a hell of a lot of money in the mob arena!
Yep they're there, but I meant if they read like this

Quote:
Server name: mine-cafe.com:25569
Ping: 1 ms
Server port: 25569
Maximum players: 50
Players online: 0
Survival Server

Server status: online
Server name: mine-cafe.com:25565
Ping: 1 ms
Server port: 25565
Maximum players: 50
Players online: 0
Ya we did a few runs, me and GAZ did a run, I made it to about 22 or so, and he made it to like 24, 25. LOL it just turns into a lagfest bc you end up running backwards in a circle chased by about 30-40 things. I don't know how much money I made or what I even won, I think it was mostly junk though, like smooth stone, feathers, bones lol.
post #1519 of 2000
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post
Yep they're there, but I meant if they read like this



Ya we did a few runs, me and GAZ did a run, I made it to about 22 or so, and he made it to like 24, 25. LOL it just turns into a lagfest bc you end up running backwards in a circle chased by about 30-40 things. I don't know how much money I made or what I even won, I think it was mostly junk though, like smooth stone, feathers, bones lol.
I'll look into reformatting the PHP of the plugin that handles that

also I added a basic banner to the top header of the website, it is simple and to the point tell me what you think

I'll work on a register button for the right side menu next
Edited by tha d0ctor - 8/8/11 at 2:55pm
post #1520 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha d0ctor View Post
I'll look into reformatting the PHP of the plugin that handles that

also I added a basic banner to the top header of the website, it is simple and to the point tell me what you think
That is nice, could you do like a yellow outline around the grey letters? or maybe all of them. Something bright to contrast with the rest of the site. Even red, which would really go against the color scheme and stick out, then again, it would go against the theme and stick out

You might make it an internal link to, I don't see why you need it to open in a new tab when clicked.

(Getting started page)
At the bottom, last bullet you list OCN, you could promote the FB/Youtube links here also.

If you want this page catered to absolutely new MC'ers, then I suggest you might add some verbage about, we have 2 servers, one for build, one for survival (list server names). Right now that first paragraph talks about the Survival server only, if you generalize it up and note that we have 2 servers now, would be nice. Also might left align that paragraph, easier to read when the ends line up (or try justify).

On the "Your first visit" page, it says the 2 issues that might cause you to not be able to login, are people on the global ban/griefing list allowed on the server? Do you have some sort of interface that blocks all known griefers, or is that mainly just a community driven list for reference?

If it actually does block those players, then you might add another bullet to that list, that if you are found to be a griefer, then you are globally blocked across the servers. You can also use that as a selling point, that we are grief free environment, and that is just one of the many precautions taken to keep it that way.

lol i wrote you a book, enjoy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › | Mine-Cafe.com |Minecraft Survival Server Discussion (formerly MyCraftSMP)