Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › just OCed my i7 950
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

just OCed my i7 950 - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Take a look at this guide. http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...920-930-a.html
I had to use 1.30625 Vcore for 4GHz stable. Max Temps are 73 with IBT 50 Pass and like 69 with Prime 95.
BTW- Those are pretty good temps for Air Considering your Cooler is on the Low Performance End.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle5281 View Post
Take a look at this guide. http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...920-930-a.html
I had to use 1.30625 Vcore for 4GHz stable. Max Temps are 73 with IBT 50 Pass and like 69 with Prime 95.
BTW- Those are pretty good temps for Air Considering your Cooler is on the Low Performance End.
I was getting better temps at my house before coming back to school (I built it as a christmas gift for myself lol) after break I noticed my temps are up about 9 degrees, I had a load temp of 40 C running Crysis 100% maxed out when I had the machine at my house, I guess my dorm is just really warm.

So from some of the recent reply posts in this thread I am noticing that these chips vary quite a bit in terms of how they overclock and how much they overclock, How do I know what mine is like? I think I might have an idea since it tool 1.2875 volts to take it from 3.07 (IDK why it ran at that lock stock) to 3.22
Wheatley
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 @3.06GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R R.2.0 Sapphire AMD 7950 3GB Reference A-DATA Gaming Series 6GB DD3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA II (x2) LITEON SATA DVD Burner Phanteks ph-tc14pe Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22" 1080p Apple Extended Keyboard II moded to USB Antec Earthwatts 750 Watt Modular NZXT Phantom (White/Modded) 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Salmosa VIntage Sun MIcrosystems Altec Lansing PC Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Wheatley
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 @3.06GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R R.2.0 Sapphire AMD 7950 3GB Reference A-DATA Gaming Series 6GB DD3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA II (x2) LITEON SATA DVD Burner Phanteks ph-tc14pe Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22" 1080p Apple Extended Keyboard II moded to USB Antec Earthwatts 750 Watt Modular NZXT Phantom (White/Modded) 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Salmosa VIntage Sun MIcrosystems Altec Lansing PC Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmaster458 View Post
I was getting better temps at my house before coming back to school (I built it as a christmas gift for myself lol) after break I noticed my temps are up about 9 degrees, I had a load temp of 40 C running Crysis 100% maxed out when I had the machine at my house, I guess my dorm is just really warm.

So from some of the recent reply posts in this thread I am noticing that these chips vary quite a bit in terms of how they overclock and how much they overclock, How do I know what mine is like? I think I might have an idea since it tool 1.2875 volts to take it from 3.07 (IDK why it ran at that lock stock) to 3.22


Suffice it to say "Chips are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 Sapphire Reference 6870 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 Samsung Blu Ray 7-64-U & XP Pro VT Dell U2410 
PowerCase
Corsair 650HX Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 Sapphire Reference 6870 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 Samsung Blu Ray 7-64-U & XP Pro VT Dell U2410 
PowerCase
Corsair 650HX Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
I'm running 1.0 V at 3.2 GHz on my 950. It passed a 36 hour prime 95 run and I have had no stability issues. I love the temps. The max temp is about 55C with my Megahalems. This is with my cpu fans running at 1000 RPM so they are essentially silent.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 3.2 GHz at 1.0V Asus Rampage III Formula Asus HD6870 6GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250 GB SSD,2X 1TB F3, 250GB WD Blue, 1T... Asus BD Megahalems black chrome edition Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus 24" Mac keyboard Enermax ERV950EWT Silverstone FT02 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Steelseries I-2 Onkyo 1000W 7.1 surround through HDMI 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 3.2 GHz at 1.0V Asus Rampage III Formula Asus HD6870 6GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250 GB SSD,2X 1TB F3, 250GB WD Blue, 1T... Asus BD Megahalems black chrome edition Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus 24" Mac keyboard Enermax ERV950EWT Silverstone FT02 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Steelseries I-2 Onkyo 1000W 7.1 surround through HDMI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Just for the sake / the enthusiasm of system optimization, I am on a quest for better temps. If I were to watercool just my CPU could I get away with a single 120MM radiator, a pump, and a reservoir? I'm not sure about he Corsair all in one devices and the ability to upgrade later would be nice.

I think I could get a pump, radiator, and waterblock for a reasonable price and then manufacture the reservoir out of transparent acrylic with my college's laser cutter.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy?
Wheatley
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 @3.06GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R R.2.0 Sapphire AMD 7950 3GB Reference A-DATA Gaming Series 6GB DD3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA II (x2) LITEON SATA DVD Burner Phanteks ph-tc14pe Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22" 1080p Apple Extended Keyboard II moded to USB Antec Earthwatts 750 Watt Modular NZXT Phantom (White/Modded) 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Salmosa VIntage Sun MIcrosystems Altec Lansing PC Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Wheatley
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 @3.06GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R R.2.0 Sapphire AMD 7950 3GB Reference A-DATA Gaming Series 6GB DD3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA II (x2) LITEON SATA DVD Burner Phanteks ph-tc14pe Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22" 1080p Apple Extended Keyboard II moded to USB Antec Earthwatts 750 Watt Modular NZXT Phantom (White/Modded) 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Salmosa VIntage Sun MIcrosystems Altec Lansing PC Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmaster458 View Post
Just for the sake / the enthusiasm of system optimization, I am on a quest for better temps. If I were to watercool just my CPU could I get away with a single 120MM radiator, a pump, and a reservoir? I'm not sure about he Corsair all in one devices and the ability to upgrade later would be nice.

I think I could get a pump, radiator, and waterblock for a reasonable price and then manufacture the reservoir out of transparent acrylic with my college's laser cutter.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy?
Better temps are not important unless you're getting high temps to begin with. Water cooling would be overkill unless you're planning on going with about 4.2Ghz or faster. Also, I've never watercooled, or I'd actually answer your original question about using a single 120mm radiator.
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
Better temps are not important unless you're getting high temps to begin with. Water cooling would be overkill unless you're planning on going with about 4.2Ghz or faster. Also, I've never watercooled, or I'd actually answer your original question about using a single 120mm radiator.
I want to OC as high as I can for the most part. Although I am worried that there is a point of overclocking where even if adequate cooling is supplied that the transistors in the processor reach a frequency where their oscillation can cause mechanical breakdown of the surrounding transistors. How high of an OC is safe with the most performance gain?
Wheatley
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 @3.06GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R R.2.0 Sapphire AMD 7950 3GB Reference A-DATA Gaming Series 6GB DD3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA II (x2) LITEON SATA DVD Burner Phanteks ph-tc14pe Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22" 1080p Apple Extended Keyboard II moded to USB Antec Earthwatts 750 Watt Modular NZXT Phantom (White/Modded) 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Salmosa VIntage Sun MIcrosystems Altec Lansing PC Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Wheatley
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 @3.06GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R R.2.0 Sapphire AMD 7950 3GB Reference A-DATA Gaming Series 6GB DD3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA II (x2) LITEON SATA DVD Burner Phanteks ph-tc14pe Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22" 1080p Apple Extended Keyboard II moded to USB Antec Earthwatts 750 Watt Modular NZXT Phantom (White/Modded) 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Salmosa VIntage Sun MIcrosystems Altec Lansing PC Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › just OCed my i7 950